AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hey all, yeah, I was wondering if you guys think that this mother board, http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97IPLUS/ , would work with the Streamcom FC8 Evo case? Thanks in advance! ( :
Not without modify the heatsink. You can use the H97 version of this motherboard, which should have nearly all the same features. This now includes similar video capabilities, which has been a distinguishing feature in the past, even with the chipsets both being capable. You won't need Z97 in this case because you are not likely to overclock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FC5 Evo with new CPUs

I was planning on going for the FC5 Evo case and was wondering - will this case work with the new 5th (Broadwell) and 6th (Skylake) generation Intel CPUs/motherboards?

·
Registered
4 Posts
FC5 Evo with new CPUs

Just wondering if the Streacom FC5 Evo would work OK with the newer 5th gen Intel CPUs, such as Broadwell and Skylake? Some are quite low TDP.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #245

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish thin-itx would become a more popular standard, it dictates socket position, smaller so-dimms which are just as cheap and no obstructions above a certain height. It also uses onboard DC-DC with external bricks which removes some heat and wiring from the case. (pcio-psu are way overpriced for their wattage compared to good laptop bricks)
I largely agree. I'd love to use a Streacom FC8 with a Thin-ITX motherboard. I don't have those at hand to see if that would work out, but indeed, the photos I see online seem to indicate that it might be problematic. Yet, at the same time, in Streacom's system build guide (streacom's site under "support, system-build-guide") they list the Asus H81T motherboard among the "Example Compatible Motherboards".

So, which is it? Is it incompatible with Thin-ITX or not?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello world.

I'd like to build a PC on Streacom FC8 Alpha case + Z170/H170 chipset and thinking about these mobos:
ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING
ASUS ASUS H170I-PLUS D3
Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
Asrock Z170M-ITX/ac
Asrock H170M-ITX/ac
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (Rev. 1.0)
Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI (rev. 1.0)
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI (rev. 1.0)
MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC

The list includes only mobos with onboard WiFi.

So, as far as I see, ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING and MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC cannot be used because of a huge radiator above CPU socket.
Also, ASUS ASUS H170I-PLUS D3 was used in the same case here (details not provided).

I asked official Streacom Support about those mobos and the confirmed that all the mobos (except ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING and MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC) are compatible with FC8 with MH1 heatpipes. But anyway, we must check everything by ourselves to be sure.

I made a small scheme (see attachment) displaying a layout of the mobos mentioned above (except MSI).
Small rectangles stand for a central area of CPU socket.
We can see that every mobo has a different position of the socket.
Three positions are shown - for Gigabyte, ASUS, and Asrock (except Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac - it differs) mobos.
As we can see, on Asrock mobos the socket is located closer to the top side of mobo.

So far, I have not decided which mobo to choose...
Any advises?

Also, I have doubts regarding PSU.
On Streacom official site a "native PSU" is proposed - Nano120 Fanless PSU or Nano150 Fanless PSU.
Both include AC-DC adapter. And it seems a bit pricey - 115-119 USD (check quietpcusa.com, for example).
I wonder is it possible to use anything from www.mini-box.com? Seems cheaper.

Also, those "native PSU" are 24 pin but mobos have 20 pin.
I heard these PSU have poor manuals, so how shall I connect 24 to 20 ?

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
I asked official Streacom Support about those mobos and the confirmed that all the mobos (except ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING and MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC) are compatible with FC8 with MH1 heatpipes. But anyway, we must check everything by ourselves to be sure.

I made a small scheme (see attachment) displaying a layout of the mobos mentioned above (except MSI).
Small rectangles stand for a central area of CPU socket.
We can see that every mobo has a different position of the socket.
Three positions are shown - for Gigabyte, ASUS, and Asrock (except Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac - it differs) mobos.
As we can see, on Asrock mobos the socket is located closer to the top side of mobo.
Can anybody please confirm if Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac mobo fits with Streacom FC8 Anpha stock heatpipes without buying any replacement heatpipes or something?
Thanks.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Can someone explain how one removes the back panel on the Streacom FC10 to make it easier to drill holes in it?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #255

·
Registered
812 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #258

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone built a PC using Streacom FC8 + Z170/H170 mobo?
Although Streacom confirmed that those mobos are compatible I am still not sure...
According to the System Build Guide there is a distance = 8.6 mm between a mobo and heatpipes, but all the mobos seem to have some details (like fan plugs, capacitors, etc) which seem to be higher...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Just a word of caution if anyone gets the FC5 Alpha with the Z240 internal power supply. There are six holes on the Z240 for mounting to the case. with the FC5 you must use the top holes to force the Z240 down enough so that the case will close. All the holes line up, and there's nothing obvious in the manual that tells you this. I didn't know this and ground down the top case mounting rail to fix the problem. When I emailed Streacom to let them know, that's when they told me about the hole alignment. They said they'd update the manual to make that more clear.

So unless you just want an excuse to get our your Dremmel, remember to use the top holes in the Z240. ;)

241 - 260 of 268 Posts