AVS Forum banner

261 - 268 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
One surprise for me was the optical slot becomes useless with the Z240 installed. The drive tray and power supply will not quite fit by a few mm.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
One surprise for me was the optical slot becomes useless with the Z240 installed. The drive tray and power supply will not quite fit by a few mm.
The good news (for me anyway) is that I got the one without the optical drive. The Streamcom site has notes saying that you have to use a right angle SATA/power connector with the drive tray, so they think it will fit.

I wonder if you really have to squish the Z240 as close to the back of the case as you can. I think I have the Z240 almost as far back as you can. Maybe with a little pushing I could get it back one more heat sink slat, but it looked like that was going to end up rubbing the power cable funny.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The good news (for me anyway) is that I got the one without the optical drive. The Streamcom site has notes saying that you have to use a right angle SATA/power connector with the drive tray, so they think it will fit.

I wonder if you really have to squish the Z240 as close to the back of the case as you can. I think I have the Z240 almost as far back as you can. Maybe with a little pushing I could get it back one more heat sink slat, but it looked like that was going to end up rubbing the power cable funny.
I have the Panasonic UJ240. I recall the drive itself being slightly longer than the tray. I haven't tried recently, so I will give the right angle SATA cable a shot. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
For anyone who might be interested, I just finished a build with the FC5 Alpha case. I posted something about it in the HTPC build pictures thread, but I thought it might be better here.

Build specs:

Streacom FC5 Alpha case with FLIRC remote sensor
Streacom Silent 240W power supply
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard
Kaby Lake Core i3-7100T (this is the 35W one)
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400
SK Hynix 120 GB SSD
Western Digital Red 8TB HD
Kodi and NextPVR for Media Center/PVR functionality (running on Windows 10 64bit)

The build is 4K 60Hz ready (I don't have a 4K TV yet though) and runs at about the same temperature as my current fan cooled, 4 year old i3 build in a Silverstone case. The only thing I ever hear is the WD drive, and that's only at startup and if I'm standing right next to the machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can anyone please confirm if the Asus Prime H310I-Plus mobo will fit in a FC5 chassis with the 4 pipe heatsink. I think the position of the CPU power socket may be too close to the heatsink pipes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking to build a FC8 based htpc.
Was wondering if anyone has confirmed if it is possible to build a powerful enough machine to run 4k HDR with MPC-BE and MAdVR using onboard graphics?
As I understand fitting a gfx card in the case and also powering it is a problem using the 240w power supply..

·
Registered
67 Posts
As I understand fitting a gfx card in the case and also powering it is a problem using the 240w power supply..
source of that information?
240w is more than enough and modern integrated graphics can easily manage 4K (as for HDR, this has nothing to do with processing power)
I run my 4K HTPC with integrated intel CPU and an external brick power supply, which is probably much less than 240W

Of course, a gaming card will need more power, but that's not the scenario here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
source of that information?
240w is more than enough and modern integrated graphics can easily manage 4K (as for HDR, this has nothing to do with processing power)
I run my 4K HTPC with integrated intel CPU and an external brick power supply, which is probably much less than 240W

Of course, a gaming card will need more power, but that's not the scenario here.
Do you playback HDR files using MPC-HC and MadVR ? As you hopefully know the havy processing done by MAdvr is mostly done on the GPU

261 - 268 of 268 Posts