Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - super bowl is tomorrow and we will all see what Tosh has up their sleeve.

Anybody have any inside info on what we can expect? It is the 11th hour, so a leak would cause no harm.

Besides I may miss some of the game (as may others) and want someplace to come and look for info about the commercial.

While we are at it we can vote on how we thought the commercial was.

Don't Vote Early

·
23,030 Posts
We'll just wait for the ad. That will ensure no early votes. Report the post after the ad plays and one of the mods will open the thread.

larry

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Not the most creative ad, but I'm sure millions of people saw that $149 price and heard that it will also make your current DVD collection look great. Keep getting the word out in print, online and on TV!

Click Here To Watch

·
Registered
66,772 Posts
Waste of time since it wasn't seen around the country (many markets pre-empted that break with their own local commercials), it was the same old commercial, it was in SD! (
) and $149.99 is not a low-enough price to tip the war in any meaningful way. I love HD-DVD but I feel the $2.7 million could have been better spent financing a BOGO or two.

·
Registered
936 Posts
That wasn't the only ad.

Just after the game ended a commercial for American Gangster ran.

The big thing about that commercial was it's a 2 disc release in 2 versions.

One of the discs is the HD-DVD version and the 2nd disc is the DVD version....

"FOR ONE LOW PRICE!"

Both ads aired on D*TV between N.Y.C. and Albany

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
You guys know how I love my HDDVD but the commercial I saw at youtube was old and didn't even leave a WOW or trail in my eyes....The action from the people in the ad suck. I'm sorry. I'm just really honest.

Oh, I never saw any HDDVD commercial in my Comcast provided Carpentersville branch as well.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 /forum/post/13021548

That wasn't the only ad.

Just after the game ended a commercial for American Gangster ran.

The big thing about that commercial was it's a 2 disc release in 2 versions.

One of the discs is the HD-DVD version and the 2nd disc is the DVD version....

"FOR ONE LOW PRICE!"

Both ads aired on D*TV between N.Y.C. and Albany

You mean it was advertising the HD DVD Combo, or that it has both an DVD and an HD DVD disc in the case?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Watched on Fox broadcast CHicago area didn;t see ad..did TIVO game and will look again anyone remember time it was on ..did see promo for American Gangster with 2 disc but commerical looked like for sd not Hd and wasn't mentioned as HD which is typical Universal lack of support in ads...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No add in my area. I finally found it on one of the add sites.

My vote was fair. I think the add itself was good, but the execution was poor. It was not listed on most add sites and was not shown in many markets. So I averaged the two and gave it a fair.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well if the Amercian Gangster DVD comes with an HD DVD, I will be buying that DVD. I just wished they emphasized the HD DVD a little bit, but than again, it might back fire as people might think it was only HD DVD without a DVD in it. So in theory, this might be the start of the trojan horse. Does anyone know if American Gangster is only released as a SD/HD DVD combo?

The logo at the end could have stay on longer.

Edit - Nevermind, look like it will be out on SD and Combo.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/13021671

You mean it was advertising the HD DVD Combo, or that it has both an DVD and an HD DVD disc in the case?

It seemed to be they were saying 2 discs in 2 versions, not your typical old combo disc. At least that's the way I saw it at the time.

But I just went back to look at it again and what it is is 2 versions of the same movie, "the original blockbuster" and "the unrated extended version" available on DVD or as a combo....shoot!

For a moment I thought they actually did something clever.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The old add ran on the local add part here in the Seattle area on Comcast in SD with Bars on all 4 sides with horrible contrast. It looked horrible. I felt embarassed for them.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
No Tosh ad on OTA from Fox 45 in the Washington Baltimore area. TiVoed it just to see the ad. Spent a lot of time fast forwarding for nothing. Methinks Tosh is not adept at seizing the moment.

·
Registered
600 Posts
It was in LA on DirecTv. SD and was ok.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.