AVS Forum banner

22341 - 22360 of 33724 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Anyways ordered PC-2000. Fingers crossed.
Please post your impressions once you have some time to play with it.
I am seriously looking at it as well.
Hopefully it should be good replacement for my existing ED A3-250 (in a room of size 18'x12'x8' approx)

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I think SVS is gearing up for a big Thanksgiving weekend sale. Their outlet has been extremely bare the past several weeks.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Been trolling the outlet section for awhile now waiting for a SB-1000 to pair with a set of Prime Satellites I want to use for a television 2.1 application. Must be a little slow for outlet stuff lately? Any hint of a Black Friday SVS sale perhaps???
I think SVS is gearing up for a big Thanksgiving weekend sale. Their outlet has been extremely bare the past several weeks.
Their twitter feed said an "historic" sale was going to be announced this week.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A question, I am in China and they no longer sell the NSDs here. I am going to buy a pb2000. Is it meant to be fairly similar in performance as my old 12NSD? Now that it's been out for awhile, how to people find it in comparison?

Also, the seller is charging $780 for the PB2000 but he says that the PC2000 is over $1000. He says the PC version actually has different performance and part but I don't really trust that at all. I am sad to have to buy a PB2000 because it doesn't look as nice, IMO, and it takes a ton of floor space.

Gonna order it today and check with SVS whether the model number is legit.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
A question, I am in China and they no longer sell the NSDs here. I am going to buy a pb2000. Is it meant to be fairly similar in performance as my old 12NSD? Now that it's been out for awhile, how to people find it in comparison?

Also, the seller is charging $780 for the PB2000 but he says that the PC2000 is over $1000. He says the PC version actually has different performance and part but I don't really trust that at all. I am sad to have to buy a PB2000 because it doesn't look as nice, IMO, and it takes a ton of floor space.

Gonna order it today and check with SVS whether the model number is legit.
The PB and PC are supposed to be the same price. Performance of both is close as well. May be some slight difference due to internal volume and port differences.

Both are a pretty good step up of the NSD models.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great to hear. I couldn't find any detailed measures for the PB2000. Guessing it's still a bit new. If it's more than the NSD, I am happy. Does it give more output or does it dig significantly deeper? My new space is only about 1500 cubic feet so I'm fairly certain I don't need more power for my space. Wouldn't max this thing unless I want to be kicked out of my building.

If anyone has a great comparison link between the NSD and 2000, that would be awesome.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,887 Posts
Great to hear. I couldn't find any detailed measures for the PB2000. Guessing it's still a bit new. If it's more than the NSD, I am happy. Does it give more output or does it dig significantly deeper? My new space is only about 1500 cubic feet so I'm fairly certain I don't need more power for my space. Wouldn't max this thing unless I want to be kicked out of my building.

If anyone has a great comparison link between the NSD and 2000, that would be awesome.

Hi,

I don't have a comparison link, but I did own a PC-12 NSD, and I looked up a review to test my recollection. The PC-12 was only rated at 20Hz, and anything you got below that, due to room gain, was considered gravy. Either the PC-2000, or the PB-2000 should be able to go several decibels lower than the PC-12. So, I would expect you to get a little more output, and a little deeper performance, as well. Perhaps someone else will be able to give you better guidance than that, but I think the bottom line is that, if you liked the PC-12, you will like the newer model 2000, in either the PB, or PC variant, even better.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
286 Posts
Placement woes

Hi,

I don't have a comparison link, but I did own a PC-12 NSD, and I looked up a review to test my recollection. The PC-12 was only rated at 20Hz, and anything you got below that, due to room gain, was considered gravy. Either the PC-2000, or the PB-2000 should be able to go several decibels lower than the PC-12. So, I would expect you to get a little more output, and a little deeper performance, as well. Perhaps someone else will be able to give you better guidance than that, but I think the bottom line is that, if you liked the PC-12, you will like the newer model 2000, in either the PB, or PC variant, even better.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks, its been a long time since I took a look at the PB 12NSD performance ratings. I thought it went down to 16hz. I guess I was wrong. I see that the PB2000 goes down to 17, so it should be a significant upgrade!

Also, I very much underestimated the size of this subwoofer so two things concern me now.

1) The subwoofer will have to face AWAY from my listening position... Will this be an issue?

2) The subwoofer will only be partially against the wall on its side. A quarter of the subwoofer will be beyond where the wall ends and goes into a hallway. That quarter is also the front quarter where the subwoofer is facing. My room in total is about 1800 cubic feet with a glass french door going to the kitchen.

I am fairly certain that this is poor positioning but how likely is it to affect my subs performance in a room like this?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Finally getting to open my dual pb 13 ultras in a couple weeks that have been boxed up for the last 10 months. Is using the Sub EQ for Audyssey a good starting point in getting these configured?

·
AVS ***** Member
8,887 Posts
Thanks, its been a long time since I took a look at the PB 12NSD performance ratings. I thought it went down to 16hz. I guess I was wrong. I see that the PB2000 goes down to 17, so it should be a significant upgrade!

Also, I very much underestimated the size of this subwoofer so two things concern me now.

1) The subwoofer will have to face AWAY from my listening position... Will this be an issue?

2) The subwoofer will only be partially against the wall on its side. A quarter of the subwoofer will be beyond where the wall ends and goes into a hallway. That quarter is also the front quarter where the subwoofer is facing. My room in total is about 1800 cubic feet with a glass french door going to the kitchen.

I am fairly certain that this is poor positioning but how likely is it to affect my subs performance in a room like this?

You are welcome. I think the issue is rated (anechoic) performance, versus actual in-room performance, with room gain ( a combination of boundary and cabin gain). The 2000 is rated lower than the PC-12 NSD, and both should benefit equally from room gain.

You might benefit from speaking directly to SVS (you can email Ed Mullen with a diagram of your room) about what effect specific placement may have. Facing the sub away from your listening position won't make any difference, and I'm not sure that losing a little boundary gain will matter either. Again, though, I would prefer to defer to Ed on that question.

I understand that you have been quoted a higher price for a cylinder, but are you sure that you have you exhausted all of your options to get a PC-2000? With limited space, the cylinder may work better for you long-term.

Regards,
Mike

·
AVS ***** Member
8,887 Posts
Finally getting to open my dual pb 13 ultras in a couple weeks that have been boxed up for the last 10 months. Is using the Sub EQ for Audyssey a good starting point in getting these configured?

Now that sounds pretty exciting! :) Yes, Audyssey's SubEQ is a very good starting point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SVS is having a black friday special on their SB12-NSD for $399 with free shipping.
Pretty good deal!

Specs:
12” DRIVER
400 watts RMS (800 watts peak) AMPLIFIER
23-270 Hz ±3dB FREQ. RESPONSE
14.6" (H) 14.2" (W) 14.2" (D) DIMENSIONS
35lbs WEIGHT

http://www.svsound.com/products/sb12-nsd

·
Registered
286 Posts
You are welcome. I think the issue is rated (anechoic) performance, versus actual in-room performance, with room gain ( a combination of boundary and cabin gain). The 2000 is rated lower than the PC-12 NSD, and both should benefit equally from room gain.

You might benefit from speaking directly to SVS (you can email Ed Mullen with a diagram of your room) about what effect specific placement may have. Facing the sub away from your listening position won't make any difference, and I'm not sure that losing a little boundary gain will matter either. Again, though, I would prefer to defer to Ed on that question.

I understand that you have been quoted a higher price for a cylinder, but are you sure that you have you exhausted all of your options to get a PC-2000? With limited space, the cylinder may work better for you long-term.

Regards,
Mike
Yes, in China, it is about $200 more for a PC, and thats only with stores that carry them. I went to the authorized Shanghai dealers and they say they don't even stock PCs. For one reason or another, they are significantly more expensive than the PBs in China but I have no idea why... I am tempted to get the PC 2000 but considering the deal I am getting, its about $300 more for a PC vs a PB.

I am just glad to hear that direction doesn't matter, which I guess bass is directionless to begin with. But it just feels like it was "designed" to be generally facing the listener. As I don't have many options, I will just have to settle with this positioning and see how it goes. If its really terrible, I will just buy a super long cable and stretch it behind the couch after rearranging my furniture.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,887 Posts
Yes, in China, it is about $200 more for a PC, and thats only with stores that carry them. I went to the authorized Shanghai dealers and they say they don't even stock PCs. For one reason or another, they are significantly more expensive than the PBs in China but I have no idea why... I am tempted to get the PC 2000 but considering the deal I am getting, its about $300 more for a PC vs a PB.

I am just glad to hear that direction doesn't matter, which I guess bass is directionless to begin with. But it just feels like it was "designed" to be generally facing the listener. As I don't have many options, I will just have to settle with this positioning and see how it goes. If its really terrible, I will just buy a super long cable and stretch it behind the couch after rearranging my furniture.

Hi,

$300 is a pretty big price difference. I know what you mean about it seeming weird to not have the sub facing you, but it shouldn't really make any performance difference. I'll be a little surprised if the positioning makes that big a difference with respect to boundary gain, either. I hope that you will report back on that part, though, as I am curious.

Re-arranging furniture is probably the last thing you want to do, but if there is an issue with the sub placement, a sub crawl would be a good way to pick the best location. You can Google the term and even find videos on You Tube. And as long as you aren't running into localization problems, having a near-field sub is something that a lot of people like. Good luck with all of this.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
22341 - 22360 of 33724 Posts