AVS Forum banner

22361 - 22380 of 33747 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was looking at a SB 1000...this sale makes me consider dual NSDs. But concerned as there is no speaker inputs- although there is a High pass filter

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I was looking at a SB 1000...this sale makes me consider dual NSDs. But concerned as there is no speaker inputs- although there is a High pass filter

I just ordered dual sb12 nsd's!! Can't wait to hear them. I have a 2 channel set up in the basement with Energy Rc 50's. Don't wait to long because when I spoke to them they said they are selling like crazy and will probably sell out by Friday at the latest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
Question is 2 SB-12NSD's at the black friday deal or 1 PB-2000 for a room that is roughly 3400 cu ft. ?

Hi,

This is a tough question, which I was hoping someone else would answer :rolleyes:, but I think a lot depends on your personal listening habits and expectations. In a small room, the dual SB-12NSD's could probably get enough boundary gain to get you pretty close to 20Hz. In a 3400cu ft. room, that might be harder to achieve.

A lot depends on what you want them for. If you are primarily interested in music, then I think a pair of these (at the great price) would be a good buy. If you want them primarily for movies, and you want to be able to go low and loud, then I think the PB-2000 would be a better choice for your larger room size. Different people have different perspectives on this sort of thing, but I like the idea of starting with one more capable sub, and then adding a second, if needed, when financial circumstances allow. But that's just my personal opinion, and that advice wouldn't be right for everybody.

If I were you, I would give SVS a call, and get their advice. As you talk about your room, and what your listening interests and expectations are, I think they will be able to guide you a little bit. I think they try to be both honest and helpful in the advice they give.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Question is 2 SB-12NSD's at the black friday deal or 1 PB-2000 for a room that is roughly 3400 cu ft. ?

Hi,

This is a tough question, which I was hoping someone else would answer
, but I think a lot depends on your personal listening habits and expectations. In a small room, the dual SB-12NSD's could probably get enough boundary gain to get you pretty close to 20Hz. In a 3400cu ft. room, that might be harder to achieve.

A lot depends on what you want them for. If you are primarily interested in music, then I think a pair of these (at the great price) would be a good buy. If you want them primarily for movies, and you want to be able to go low and loud, then I think the PB-2000 would be a better choice for your larger room size. Different people have different perspectives on this sort of thing, but I like the idea of starting with one more capable sub, and then adding a second, if needed, when financial circumstances allow. But that's just my personal opinion, and that advice wouldn't be right for everybody.

If I were you, I would give SVS a call, and get their advice. As you talk about your room, and what your listening interests and expectations are, I think they will be able to guide you a little bit. I think they try to be both honest and helpful in the advice they give.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike! This will be primarily be for movies,TV, gaming and the odd time for music. I am very interested in the pb 2000 but this deal is so good. I think I will take your advice and stick with the pb 2000 and maybe one day add a second. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Thanks Mike! This will be primarily be for movies,TV, gaming and the odd time for music. I am very interested in the pb 2000 but this deal is so good. I think I will take your advice and stick with the pb 2000 and maybe one day add a second. Thanks again!
You could always try dual sb12 nsd's and see if it works for the same price as the pb 2000. If it doesn't work for you just send it back and get the pb2000. SVS will even have Fed Ex pick them up from you if you ask.

Reactions: stikle

·
Registered
810 Posts

·
Registered
18,018 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I ordered the SB12 NSD that's on sale and was all happy to get a good deal on a sub for my Yamaha 2-channel network receiver. But now I see there is no preamp sub output on the rear panel so it seems there's no way to hook the the SB12 NSD to my receiver. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Is the picture one end with 2 connectors or is it showing both ends together?
You need a single connector on each end.
It's a single connector on both ends

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I picked up the SB12 NSD on sale because my DIY build is slightly delayed due to getting a new job. What do I need to hook it up to my receiver? All I'm aware of is an RCA cable....will this one work?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DB-Link-Inc.-EST12Z-db-Link-Est12z-Elite-Soft-Touch-12-RCA-Cable/23756017

Personally, I would go with Mediabridge RCA cables from Amazon. I've got 4 of them in use and they have excellent build quality. They're 3' longer for $2 more, designed for subwoofers, and appear to have way better jacketing/shielding than the Walmart ones.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've had good experience with those Mediabridge Ultra cables. Very reasonable price on Amazon. I've also used custom length Blue Jeans RCA's for a sub in another system, and while it is very nice the Mediabridge cables are a great value for the quality of the connectors and jacket. Very sturdy. I've got 2 50 foot runs of them in my theater.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I would (and did) also get an AudioQuest 90 degree RCA connector so that your RCA cable hangs downwards. This will result in less strain on your subwoofer input and allow you to place your subwoofer closer to the wall (if needed).

·
Registered
362 Posts
So if there is no preamp sub output on the rear panel of my receiver is there no possible way to connect the SB12 NSD I just bought?

Please see my post # 22439 HERE

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
So if there is no preamp sub output on the rear panel of my receiver is there no possible way to connect the SB12 NSD I just bought?

Wow. Yes, you are correct. Time to upgrade your Yamaha as well. That's a stereo amplifier, not designed to add a subwoofer to. Hence, no sub pre-out. It probably sounds quite good when you have full sized towers with built-in subs.

There are a number of $4-500 "basic" A/V Receivers that will give you sub pre-outs and many more features than you currently have. One such example is the Denon AVR-X1200W.

If you're only running a stereo amp now, you probably don't care about home theater at all...or know that you should. :)

I would send a private message to @jdsmoothie and discuss your needs with him. He's an authorized reseller and can direct you to the best hardware to fit your needs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow. Yes, you are correct. Time to upgrade your Yamaha as well....

Before spending more money on a new receiver, you should look at the online SB12 NSD manual and quick start guide, which gives an alternate connection for amps without a sub outputs. The quick start guide also says to contact SVS for alternate connection options. So if I were you, I wouldn't consider a new receiver until chatting with SVS.

From page 8 of the manual....

"Alternatively, especially for two-channel preamps that don’t have (or don’t use) any digital management, the typical connectivity scenario would be to use both the main channel Left and Right (L/R) inputs into the STA-400D. In this case the subwoofer would sit between the main L/R low level outputs of the preamp and the L/R low level inputs of the STA-400D, with the L/R outputs of the STA-400D going to the inputs of the power amplifier for the system’s L/R main speakers."

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Before spending more money on a new receiver, you should look at the online SB12 NSD manual and quick start guide, which gives an alternate connection for amps without a sub outputs. The quick start guide also says to contact SVS for alternate connection options. So if I were you, I wouldn't consider a new receiver until chatting with SVS.

From page 8 of the manual....

"Alternatively, especially for two-channel preamps that don’t have (or don’t use) any digital management, the typical connectivity scenario would be to use both the main channel Left and Right (L/R) inputs into the STA-400D. In this case the subwoofer would sit between the main L/R low level outputs of the preamp and the L/R low level inputs of the STA-400D, with the L/R outputs of the STA-400D going to the inputs of the power amplifier for the system’s L/R main speakers."

Ok then, I stand corrected. Good job! I DO learn something every day. :)

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Driver replacement for 20-39CS

Hope everyone is OK with a question on a legacy SVS cylinder sub.
Actually I have 3-SVS cylinders and really like them, a little background:

-I have a larger open floor-plan theater.
-I am running a pair of 16-46PC+ (with the 525 w bash amps) upfront behind my mains about 12' forward of my seated position.

-My question is how to get the most out of my rear near-field single 20-39CS, tuned to 16HZ (this is a single passive cylinder about 2' behind my main seating).

The front pair are EQ'd from one channel of a Denon 4311, the rear "near-field" 20-39 is EQ'd from the other channel of the 4311 (currently powered via QSC amp).

I would like thoughts on the best possible driver upgrade to swap into this near-field 20-39. I will be powering it from one channel of an inuke 3000dsp (capable of 620Watts RMS into 4 ohms). Gotta believe there is a good aftermarket driver upgrade I can make?

22361 - 22380 of 33747 Posts