AVS Forum banner

28261 - 28280 of 34012 Posts

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Definitely some good deals in the outlet for Memorial weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I got on the site this morning there were 4 pages of deals, now down to 2!

There was another Ultra BS with a dent in the top which I chose not to buy and is now gone, IIRC it was under $300. They don't come up all that often, at least not in oak and no damage, so I wasted no time buying it. I seem to recall there were a number of gloss finish units and they are all gone except for 1 in white.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was hoping there were some Prime Elevation in the outlet. None there, or they sold out quickly. I am still going to pick up a pair and get a second PB-2000.

Reactions: Falconsfan71

·
Registered
411 Posts
When I got on the site this morning there were 4 pages of deals, now down to 2!
Yea, same here. My first time seeing their sale so I wasn't thinking about them disappearing so quick. I hesitated too long and missed out on the cheaper slightly scuffed PB16-Ultra I was staring at, but once it disappeared it kicked me into gear to grab the other one with no damage for $100 more. So hopefully by this time next week I'll officially be in the SVS sub club. Guess it's a good thing I didn't grab the 4000 a few days ago now. :p

·
Registered
703 Posts
As I see, almost 99% of damaged outlet items are in piano gloss finish :)

How resistant to scratches is this finish?
I don't mean resistant to punches, but normal maintance with damp cloth and similar.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anyone have the amp on their SB-4000 fail on them yet? I just got off the phone with SVS support and it looks like I might have a failed amp. :(

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

I don't mean resistant to punches, but normal maintance with damp cloth and similar.

I would use a microfiber cloth when cleaning the piano black finish. It's susceptible to scratching and even very fine scratches will show.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Anyone have the amp on their SB-4000 fail on them yet? I just got off the phone with SVS support and it looks like I might have a failed amp. :(

There was a batch of amps that were going more often than normal. But that is where SVS service comes in. They will have you up and running at no cost to you in no time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There was a batch of amps that were going more often than normal. But that is where SVS service comes in. They will have you up and running at no cost to you in no time.

I'm sure they will. Customer service was a big reason why I went with SVS. They've always been good to me.

In other news, just tried the "bump test" by connecting a 9v battery to the woofer per SVSs instructions and, confirmed, it doesn't look like a woofer problem.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I'm sure they will. Customer service was a big reason why I went with SVS. They've always been good to me.

In other news, just tried the "bump test" by connecting a 9v battery to the woofer per SVSs instructions and, confirmed, it doesn't look like a woofer problem.
Yep, most of the time its always the amp that goes out and they have had a history of the amps going out prematurely...

Reactions: MIX_MASTER_ICE

·
AVS ***** Member
8,966 Posts
I just received my (2) SB-2000's last week and ran Audyssey. In the past Audyssey recommended between -12 & +12 as what the trim levels in the receiver should end up at. CLoser to 0 being prefered. I set the master volume control on both subs to 12:00 and the trim came out at 0 which I assumed was a fine place for it to be. After spending this morning reading the Guide to Subwoofer Calibration here I see that now it is recommended to set the subs higher so the trim ends up being somewhere negative around -5 to -9. My receiver is the Denon 3808 and uses Audyssey MultEQ XT and has a single sub out of the receiver using a Y connector to the LFE on the subs. So far the subs sound amazing and I don't usually listen above -15 on the Denon volume scale so not reference level. If I should have the trim in the negative can I just increase the volume control on the sub and adjust down from 0 trim in the Denon without having to re-run Audyssey? Or do I even need to do anything? The reason I ask is because after reading the Guide I wanted to make sure I was getting enough voltage to the sub for best performance. I actually reduced the trim in the receiver after the calibration by 3db anyway. Thanks for the help.

Hi,

You are very welcome! Yes, you can absolutely just trade AVR trim for subwoofer gain without rerunning Audyssey. It may be a little difficult to determine exactly where you are in subwoofer volume, but honestly, that is not something I would worry about. If I were you, I would just set my AVR trim at about -5 or -6, and then turn up the gain controls on my subwoofers symmetrically to the volume that sounds appropriate to you. You could be playing some bass-heavy content at your normal -15 MV while you make the adjustment, and just adjust the sub gains symmetrically until you are satisfied with the balanced bass.

I would probably make a note of what your original sub gains were, just for future reference, but in my opinion, it's not really critical information anyway. Wherever your gain settings are, after calibration, you are just going to add bass until you have what you want. If you start with an AVR trim setting of about -6, that will give you a little room to adjust upward and downward in a listening session, with the remote and without ever leaving your chair. For more substantial increases than a decibel or two, I would continue to make any further increases after this with the gain controls.

Regards,
Mike

·
Premium Member
7,817 Posts

I would use a microfiber cloth when cleaning the piano black finish. It's susceptible to scratching and even very fine scratches will show.

+1

I got the same instruction from Aperion Audio, to shine my Verus Grand speakers, with a piano black finish.
They told me, to use a microfiber cloth and some Lemon Pledge, to remove dust and finger prints.
Work very well:)

Ray

·
Registered
62 Posts

Seems like there are more of these being added to the outlet sale throughout the day. I picked up a PB16-Ultra too.

Reactions: Rengozu

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hi,

You are very welcome! Yes, you can absolutely just trade AVR trim for subwoofer gain without rerunning Audyssey. It may be a little difficult to determine exactly where you are in subwoofer volume, but honestly, that is not something I would worry about. If I were you, I would just set my AVR trim at about -5 or -6, and then turn up the gain controls on my subwoofers symmetrically to the volume that sounds appropriate to you. You could be playing some bass-heavy content at your normal -15 MV while you make the adjustment, and just adjust the sub gains symmetrically until you are satisfied with the balanced bass.

I would probably make a note of what your original sub gains were, just for future reference, but in my opinion, it's not really critical information anyway. Wherever your gain settings are, after calibration, you are just going to add bass until you have what you want. If you start with an AVR trim setting of about -6, that will give you a little room to adjust upward and downward in a listening session, with the remote and without ever leaving your chair. For more substantial increases than a decibel or two, I would continue to make any further increases after this with the gain controls.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks so much Mike. This should make things a lot easier. Take care. My name is Mike also by the way.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I picked up PB-1000 from outlet last week and see there are a bunch of SB12-NSD, which wasn’t available when I bought, up now as part of the sale. Should I go for that instead? 10” ported vs 12” sealed. I haven’t had the PB long enough to really evaluate it.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,966 Posts
Thanks so much Mike. This should make things a lot easier. Take care. My name is Mike also by the way.

You are very welcome, Mike! :)

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I picked up PB-1000 from outlet last week and see there are a bunch of SB12-NSD, which wasn’t available when I bought, up now as part of the sale. Should I go for that instead? 10” ported vs 12” sealed. I haven’t had the PB long enough to really evaluate it.

Get the SB12 and try it out and compare the two and send the loser back.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
i think i know the answer, but is a pb12 plus a huge step up from pb2000 for the price difference?
This is what SVS told me in the past when I was making a similar comparison:

"PB12-Plus will provide about 60-70% higher dynamic output than a pair of PB-2000s, along with comparable deep extension.
In the 16 Hz mode, a pair of PB12-Plus will provide about 40-50% higher dynamic output than a pair of PB-2000s, along with considerably better deep extension and higher clean output in the 13-18 Hz band."

So better extension in 16Hz mode and higher max output but it's more of an incremental upgrade than a huge step up. It will be a little tighter response as well.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I was hoping there were some Prime Elevation in the outlet. None there, or they sold out quickly. I am still going to pick up a pair and get a second PB-2000.
Yeah i'm looking to pickup a pair of Prime Elevations too but I haven't seen any yet. I'll keep looking til monday....

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Yeah i'm looking to pickup a pair of Prime Elevations too but I haven't seen any yet. I'll keep looking til monday....

Elevations rarely show up in outlet. Very popular speakers and don’t have much competition from other brands with its design and flexibility so people end up keeping them

28261 - 28280 of 34012 Posts