AVS Forum banner

28281 - 28300 of 34037 Posts

·
AVS ***** Member
8,972 Posts
i think i know the answer, but is a pb12 plus a huge step up from pb2000 for the price difference?

Hi,

I deleted a previous post I made on this because it wasn't really on point. To me, the Plus has always occupied sort of a no-man's land between the PB2000 (which replaced the older PB12-NSD) and the PB13. The Plus is a little more powerful than the PB2000, but there were never any max output numbers shown for the Plus, so it was never possible to determine just how much more powerful it is.

Personally, if I were going to upgrade from a PB2000, I would either make the jump to a PB13, or to a PB4000. I could quantify the difference in output with those subwoofers and know just how much more output I was getting. The move from a PB2000 to a Plus wouldn't be a straight lateral move, in terms of output or low-frequency extension. But, I would save my money right now, if I were you, and make the much more significant jump to one of the Ultras when I could afford it.

Regards,
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Elevations rarely show up in outlet. Very popular speakers and don’t have much competition from other brands with its design and flexibility so people end up keeping them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I figured i was just hoping to save a couple dollars.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Reactions: kyzer soze

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
mine makes a barking sound when it shuts off
hope its not going bad
Not sure sure I would call it a bark but my PC-4000s both make a funny sound when I shut them off. Fortunately it's uncommon that I do so and going in an out of standby is silent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure sure I would call it a bark but my PC-4000s both make a funny sound when I shut them off. Fortunately it's uncommon that I do so and going in an out of standby is silent.
I have a PC-4000 and it does the same thing. I purchased this toward the end of March and it died about a week later. Contacted SVS and received a new amp 2 days later. The new amp started making popping sounds that lasted 3-5 minutes when coming out of standby. Called SVS and received another amp in 2 or 3 days. Been working fine now for over a month. I am happy with the sub and look at my issues as just something that happens with things occaisionally. The support from SVS was good and the fast shipping on the replacement amps was appreciated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just wanted to follow up in this thread to let folks know that the amp in my SB-4000 did fail and SVS had a new amp to me within two days. I put the new amp in last night and everything is back up and rolling. They provided me a return ship label so the failed amp will go back to SVS. Brad in customer service was awesome. One phone call, a couple follow-up emails post-troubleshooting, and they had an amp out the door early the next morning. That's customer service. Thanks SVS!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Had some Crutchfield bonus credit saved up and ended up buying a pack of 4 isolator feet a couple weeks ago when I was getting serious about ordering the 4000. Then the Memorial Day sale happened and I somehow ended up with a PB16-Ultra instead. Still drooling at the thought of that boom in my room, I've stared at manual pages, downloaded the mobile app, and practically looked at everything I can in the meantime, but then realized I actually needed 2 more isolator feet because it uses 6 and not 4. SVS only had them listed in 4 and 6 packs on their site, but just wanted to give a shout out to their wonderful customer service as I sent them an email and they actually helped me out with getting 2 more of them here quickly.

So now I'm sitting here all wired up with a new XLR cable and 6 isolator feet ready to go and my Tuesday delivery sure isn't getting here any faster. :p

Does any one here have the 16 Ultra and prefer to cover any of the ports? Probably something I'll just have to play with once I get, but thinking I won't be trying to max it out to its loudest, and from the way I read it certain things may sound a little better (cleaner?) if I covered one of the ports.

Reactions: mthomas47

·
AVS ***** Member
8,972 Posts
Had some Crutchfield bonus credit saved up and ended up buying a pack of 4 isolator feet a couple weeks ago when I was getting serious about ordering the 4000. Then the Memorial Day sale happened and I somehow ended up with a PB16-Ultra instead. Still drooling at the thought of that boom in my room, I've stared at manual pages, downloaded the mobile app, and practically looked at everything I can in the meantime, but then realized I actually needed 2 more isolator feet because it uses 6 and not 4. SVS only had them listed in 4 and 6 packs on their site, but just wanted to give a shout out to their wonderful customer service as I sent them an email and they actually helped me out with getting 2 more of them here quickly.

So now I'm sitting here all wired up with a new XLR cable and 6 isolator feet ready to go and my Tuesday delivery sure isn't getting here any faster. :p

Does any one here have the 16 Ultra and prefer to cover any of the ports? Probably something I'll just have to play with once I get, but thinking I won't be trying to max it out to its loudest, and from the way I read it certain things may sound a little better (cleaner?) if I covered one of the ports.

That's sort of like being all dressed up with nowhere to go! :p

I think that you are really going to like your new PB16, but as for what mode you will prefer to use it in, that's something that you will need to experiment with to determine. If you don't use any of the port plugs, and you keep it in Standard mode, you will get a little more SPL above 20Hz. Whether you would actually notice the difference is a YMMV sort of thing.

If you plug one port (any port) and set the DSP to Extended mode, you will get more SPL below 20Hz. With the right content, most people are likely to notice that.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Are the amps in SB16-Ultra and PB16-Ultra also so susceptible to failures?

It's easy for you in USA to get it echanged in two days, but I doubt in Europe it is so fast and easy.

Not to mention the cost of SVS in Europe - PB16-Ultra is 3500€ (4100$), SB16-Ultra 2800€ (3300$).
So for that cost I wouldn't like to see it fails in two months and then to have to wait another two month for new amp...

·
Registered
411 Posts
That's sort of like being all dressed up with nowhere to go! :p

I think that you are really going to like your new PB16, but as for what mode you will prefer to use it in, that's something that you will need to experiment with to determine. If you don't use any of the port plugs, and you keep it in Standard mode, you will get a little more SPL above 20Hz. Whether you would actually notice the difference is a YMMV sort of thing.

If you plug one port (any port) and set the DSP to Extended mode, you will get more SPL below 20Hz. With the right content, most people are likely to notice that.

Reactions: mthomas47

·
Registered
821 Posts
I just wanted to follow up in this thread to let folks know that the amp in my SB-4000 did fail and SVS had a new amp to me within two days. I put the new amp in last night and everything is back up and rolling. They provided me a return ship label so the failed amp will go back to SVS. Brad in customer service was awesome. One phone call, a couple follow-up emails post-troubleshooting, and they had an amp out the door early the next morning. That's customer service. Thanks SVS!
so you had to tear into a 1500 dollar sub yourself, and replace the amp?

·
Registered
161 Posts
so you had to tear into a 1500 dollar sub yourself, and replace the amp?
I did, but it wasn't any big deal. There are ten or so screws holding the amp on, and two easily removed cables - one going to the display, and one going to the woofer - to remove. I can see how plenty of people would not be on board to do that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yep, been all dressed up for it a couple days now, but least everything's ready and in place for its arrival.

And awesome, thanks for that. Sounds like plugging one port is exactly what I'm looking to do. Doubt I'll ever want to plug them all unless I'm just playing around with music, but this will mainly be used for movies and I'm ready for Blade Runner to kick me in the chest.
I'm running dual PB-16's in Extended mode, and Blade Runner 2049 is one of my favorite movies :) Not running my subs anywhere close to their limit, as I wish them to last for a good number of years.

Please do let us know your thoughts once you're up and running!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hi,

You are very welcome! Yes, you can absolutely just trade AVR trim for subwoofer gain without rerunning Audyssey. It may be a little difficult to determine exactly where you are in subwoofer volume, but honestly, that is not something I would worry about. If I were you, I would just set my AVR trim at about -5 or -6, and then turn up the gain controls on my subwoofers symmetrically to the volume that sounds appropriate to you. You could be playing some bass-heavy content at your normal -15 MV while you make the adjustment, and just adjust the sub gains symmetrically until you are satisfied with the balanced bass.

I would probably make a note of what your original sub gains were, just for future reference, but in my opinion, it's not really critical information anyway. Wherever your gain settings are, after calibration, you are just going to add bass until you have what you want. If you start with an AVR trim setting of about -6, that will give you a little room to adjust upward and downward in a listening session, with the remote and without ever leaving your chair. For more substantial increases than a decibel or two, I would continue to make any further increases after this with the gain controls.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike I printed this to show how much gain/trim in the AVR to a sub my friend is setting up his first AVR and 5.1 system. After he read what you posted here he understood.

I ran across this bech test on a PB 13 Ultra, wow there is a lot of info here plus your articles. This is a lot to take in but I am going to do the test to see when you need to back off the gain when the dB does NOT go up. I purchased the CM-130 SPL meter Ed at SVS likes to use to help read the signal. My old Rat Shack is really close on C FAST, surprised after 28 years. REW and the mic and read more. Ed set mine up for me so I can swap sub cables from my AVR and plug in my NAD analog system and not have to touch the DSP.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-pb13/pb13-measurements
Thanks again Mike for all the time you spent on this.
Louis

·
AVS ***** Member
8,972 Posts
Thanks Mike I printed this to show how much gain/trim in the AVR to a sub my friend is setting up his first AVR and 5.1 system. After he read what you posted here he understood.

I ran across this bech test on a PB 13 Ultra, wow there is a lot of info here plus your articles. This is a lot to take in but I am going to do the test to see when you need to back off the gain when the dB does NOT go up. I purchased the CM-130 SPL meter Ed at SVS likes to use to help read the signal. My old Rat Shack is really close on C FAST, surprised after 28 years. REW and the mic and read more. Ed set mine up for me so I can swap sub cables from my AVR and plug in my NAD analog system and not have to touch the DSP.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-pb13/pb13-measurements
Thanks again Mike for all the time you spent on this.
Louis

You are very welcome, Louis! I'm glad if the Guide has helped. Those Data-Bass and Audioholics tests and articles are terrific aren't they?

Believe it or not, I think I have benefited from the Guide more than anyone. The research, writing, editing, and updating have taught me a lot. And, every time I learn something new, or develop a little better understanding of something, I put it in the Guide so that everyone (including myself) can refer to it whenever we need to. :)

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks Mike. I get so much help from everyone on this forum. It's cost me a lot in the process but at least when I buy new gear I know it will work out great in the end. Have a great holiday.

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anybody know of a good AV guy in the DC area who can install and optimize a subwoofer for me? Will probably need a new center channel speaker as well, but will hold off after seeing how the system sounds after a new sub. Also could use some calibration/setting optimization for another room as well. Would be an extra perk if s/he can also calibrate a new jvc rs540 projector. PM is fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Anybody know of a good AV guy in the DC area who can install and optimize a subwoofer for me? Will probably need a new center channel speaker as well, but will hold off after seeing how the system sounds after a new sub. Also could use some calibration/setting optimization for another room as well. Would be an extra perk if s/he can also calibrate a new jvc rs540 projector. PM is fine. Thanks.
I too live in the DC area and know of a few AV guys who can do installations for less than what the big store guys charge. But they are not calibrators and all they will do for you is run Audyssey (or its equivalent) which you can do for yourself for free. If you do need a name of someone who can do wiring and install the sub for you, let me know and I'll PM you his details. If you find the name of someone who does calibrations (especially REW which I would very much like to learn to use), please let me know since I need some help too. Thanks.

Cal68

·
Registered
970 Posts
I did, but it wasn't any big deal. There are ten or so screws holding the amp on, and two easily removed cables - one going to the display, and one going to the woofer - to remove. I can see how plenty of people would not be on board to do that.
Who would not be onboard to do it themselves? I got my amp swapped out and it was was better an experience than shipping it or bringing it somewhere and waiting 2 weeks for something that took me less than 30 minutes to do and SVS gives you the only tool you need for the job.

28281 - 28300 of 34037 Posts