AVS Forum banner

28301 - 28320 of 34036 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Who would not be onboard to do it themselves? I got my amp swapped out and it was was better an experience than shipping it or bringing it somewhere and waiting 2 weeks for something that took me less than 30 minutes to do and SVS gives you the only tool you need for the job.
You can't understand how a potentially non-technical person would not want to tear into their brand new $1500 subwoofer after just a month of ownership?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi folks! I'm new to SVS ownership, having purchased a used PC12-Plus a few weeks ago. So far, I'm blown away by this sub (layers of extremely accurate and tight bass...IMO) and the famous SVS customer service. I made a small riser using SVS Soundpath feet and some MLV (mass loaded vinyl) I had laying around - seems to work well. Overall - I'm super pleased, but feel foolish for waiting so long to get a real sub!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Who would not be onboard to do it themselves? I got my amp swapped out and it was was better an experience than shipping it or bringing it somewhere and waiting 2 weeks for something that took me less than 30 minutes to do and SVS gives you the only tool you need for the job.
You can't understand how a potentially non-technical person would not want to tear into their brand new $1500 subwoofer after just a month of ownership?
You both make valid points. I would guess the majority of people (myself included) who frequent these threads have no problem or issue replacing a sub amp. However, there are some who admittedly don’t care to or are not adept at performing such tasks.

Reactions: mthomas47

·
Registered
705 Posts
It's a matter of choice. You can send whole subwoofer, but then you will have to wait longer.

Reactions: Jim Kiler

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Hi folks! I'm new to SVS ownership, having purchased a used PC12-Plus a few weeks ago. So far, I'm blown away by this sub (layers of extremely accurate and tight bass...IMO) and the famous SVS customer service. I made a small riser using SVS Soundpath feet and some MLV (mass loaded vinyl) I had laying around - seems to work well. Overall - I'm super pleased, but feel foolish for waiting so long to get a real sub!
Congrats on the sub. But you could've just removed the base plate and put the soundpath isolation feet right on the sub. Might have been easier. :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Nice. I wonder if that was mine. I recently traded up dual pc12+ for dual pc-4000. I put the soundpath feet right on the base plate. Enjoy- it’s an excellent sub.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oh man, barely out of the box with almost factory settings and this thing is so much fun! Exactly what I was missing in this room, and don't even get me started on Blade Runner 2049. . . might even need to check for foundation damage on the house after all that boom!

Old sub comparison

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
My Ultra BS was on the FedEx truck for delivery at 3:59 this morning... so, no further away than 10 miles and showing delivery by the end of the day...

At the end of the day the website shows "No scheduled delivery date available at this time."

All day waiting... (Not the first issue I've had with them.)

Of course that means another all day wait whenever they figure out what they're doing.

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,037 Posts
My Ultra BS was on the FedEx truck for delivery at 3:59 this morning... so, no further away than 10 miles and showing delivery by the end of the day...

At the end of the day the website shows "No scheduled delivery date available at this time."

Of course that means another all day wait whenever they figure out what they're doing.
That is Ultra BS! :D

·
Registered
970 Posts

That is frustrating, specially if you cannot work from home.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
That is frustrating, specially if you cannot work from home.
Thanks for commiserating with me Jim, but fear not, I'll survive it :)

Actually, I turned in my resignation letter in March of 1997. Ended up doing some part time contract work for ~7 years, averaging 4 to 5 hours a week the last 3 years and then pulled the plug. So, no work since ~2004 :D It was a great way to leave the job behind as I went from 60 hours a week, winding down to 4-5 hours some weeks at the end with some 1 to 2 month periods of no work tossed into the mix.

There was zero shock at the end compared to some folks who are going full speed one day and then zero the next:eek: Also I realized along my life's journey, that amongst other things, I was not my job. It was something I had;)

·
Registered
411 Posts

Now that sucks. For whatever reason they used a Semi-truck specialty service to deliver mine and not the typical UPS/Fed-Ex types. Well hopefully someone can be there to sign for it tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts

FedEx just dropped off my speaker :D Driver said that because of the holiday he had more packages to deliver until he's caught up :)

Time to open it up and see what condition its in...

[Edit] Looks brand new :D

Connected in place of my front right to check it out.

The Guess Who (Quadrophonic recording) Road Food sounds great :D:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats on the sub. But you could've just removed the base plate and put the soundpath isolation feet right on the sub. Might have been easier. :)

I thought about that - but I wanted to raise the sub and get a few layers of that MLV going....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its here! Its here!

Got the new PB-16 Ultra sub in today, drug it upstairs, re-ran Audyssey etc and got all set in to listen to music and watch stuff blow up... :cool:

And my first impression? meh...

It definately does lower than my 10yr old 15" Velodyne that it just replaced, but the volume just isn't there. Super 8 train crash had more depth but signifiantly less force. So much so that I drug the old one back in and plugged it in just to be sure Audyssey didn't mess with something. Even at 60% volume on my Velodyone DLR-5000R (15" 1000W RMS, 23Hz from ~2007) it has significantly more thump (>3dB based on my iphone free SPL meter app) than the PB-16 Ultra does set at 0dB. That's without changing any of the AVR settings, just moving the cord from one sub to the other and replaying the same track...

Do these things take awhile to loosen up perhaps?? What am I missing?? I set the EQ to extended and plugged the center port, but haven't messed with any other setting it arrived with.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Its here! Its here!

Got the new PB-16 Ultra sub in today, drug it upstairs, re-ran Audyssey etc and got all set in to listen to music and watch stuff blow up... :cool:

It definately does lower than my 10yr old 15" Velodyne that it just replaced, but the volume just isn't there. Super 8 train crash had more depth but signifiantly less force. So much so that I drug the old one back in and plugged it in just to be sure Audyssey didn't mess with something. Even at 60% volume on my Velodyone DLR-5000R (15" 1000W RMS, 23Hz from ~2007) it has significantly more thump (>3dB based on my iphone free SPL meter app) than the PB-16 Ultra does set at 0dB. That's without changing any of the AVR settings, just moving the cord from one sub to the other and replaying the same track...

Do these things take awhile to loosen up perhaps?? What am I missing?? I set the EQ to extended and plugged the center port, but haven't messed with any other setting it arrived with.

my pb4000 took a few weeks to loosen up, as well as all other svs subs ive had.
that pb16 you have should still mop the floor with that vd , even out of the box.
i would def run the standard setting to break it in, all ports open
it has more overall output
are you getting good excursion with the woofer ?

·
AVS ***** Member
8,972 Posts
Its here! Its here!

Hi,

I have never been quite sure about subwoofer break-in. It did seem to me that a new PB4000 got louder after a few spirited listening sessions, but who knows? I am sure, though, that running Audyssey, and then just switching back-and-forth between the two subs doesn't prove anything. The room EQ would be entirely different for those two subwoofers. Audyssey might have deliberately done something based on the PB16's interaction with the room, that allowed the Velodyne to exhibit a louder peak at a particular frequency.

Did I understand you to say that you turned the PB16 up to the max setting on the subwoofer, and you still weren't getting enough volume? If so, it is also possible that you are accustomed to hearing more mid-bass than the PB16 produces, and that you may like mid-bass more than low-bass. (Note: your phone app won't even be able to measure the low-bass SPL. It doesn't go low enough to do that.)

If it does turn out that you really prefer mid-bass to low-bass as some people certainly do, then break-in period or not, the PB16 may not be the best subwoofer for you. I would definitely give myself some time to see if the low-bass capabilities of the PB16 grow on you. But, if they don't grow on you, and you believe that you just want more mid-bass than it can produce, then I would investigate a PSA V3601. That subwoofer deliberately emphasizes mid-bass frequencies relative to low-bass frequencies, where the PB16 does the exact opposite. It's entirely a YMMV issue! :)

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

I have never been quite sure about subwoofer break-in. It did seem to me that a new PB4000 got louder after a few spirited listening sessions, but who knows? I am sure, though, that running Audyssey, and then just switching back-and-forth between the two subs doesn't prove anything. The room EQ would be entirely different for those two subwoofers. Audyssey might have deliberately done something based on the PB16's interaction with the room, that allowed the Velodyne to exhibit a louder peak at a particular frequency.

Did I understand you to say that you turned the PB16 up to the max setting on the subwoofer, and you still weren't getting enough volume? If so, it is also possible that you are accustomed to hearing more mid-bass than the PB16 produces, and that you may like mid-bass more than low-bass. (Note: your phone app won't even be able to measure the low-bass SPL. It doesn't go low enough to do that.)

If it does turn out that you really prefer mid-bass to low-bass as some people certainly do, then break-in period or not, the PB16 may not be the best subwoofer for you. I would definitely give myself some time to see if the low-bass capabilities of the PB16 grow on you. But, if they don't grow on you, and you believe that you just want more mid-bass than it can produce, then I would investigate a PSA V3601. That subwoofer deliberately emphasizes mid-bass frequencies relative to low-bass frequencies, where the PB16 does the exact opposite. It's entirely a YMMV issue! :)

Regards,
Mike
I dunno about mid-bass vs low base, but even at 0db this doesn’t have very much room rattle, movies or music... I’ve done the crawl and it’s in the 1/4 wall front position where it seemed. I keep flipping back and forth and it just seems like something on this isn’t working right. I can see the woofer move, and I get a fair amount of sound, it’s just not very impactful?

I remember just being able to feel the one I demoed at the store... this one I don’t get that. Wondering if this one is messed up or something?

My brother in law got his sb-16 delivered today as well, so may have to do some comparisons this weekend... but for the size/power/weight of this it doesn’t seem to hold up to my old one... not what I expected at all.:(

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
I dunno about mid-bass vs low base, but even at 0db this doesn’t have very much room rattle, movies or music... I’ve done the crawl and it’s in the 1/4 wall front position where it seemed. I keep flipping back and forth and it just seems like something on this isn’t working right. I can see the woofer move, and I get a fair amount of sound, it’s just not very impactful?

I remember just being able to feel the one I demoed at the store... this one I don’t get that. Wondering if this one is messed up or something?

My brother in law got his sb-16 delivered today as well, so may have to do some comparisons this weekend... but for the size/power/weight of this it doesn’t seem to hold up to my old one... not what I expected at all.:(

Sound like you have a placement problem, or maybe the setting on your sub or AVR.

Not sure if you read this thread, while long to read, a lot of good information can be found;
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...e-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html

The answer to your problem, is more likely in there.

Ray

28301 - 28320 of 34036 Posts