AVS Forum banner

28321 - 28340 of 34029 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I dunno about mid-bass vs low base, but even at 0db this doesn’t have very much room rattle, movies or music... I’ve done the crawl and it’s in the 1/4 wall front position where it seemed. I keep flipping back and forth and it just seems like something on this isn’t working right. I can see the woofer move, and I get a fair amount of sound, it’s just not very impactful?

I remember just being able to feel the one I demoed at the store... this one I don’t get that. Wondering if this one is messed up or something?

My brother in law got his sb-16 delivered today as well, so may have to do some comparisons this weekend... but for the size/power/weight of this it doesn’t seem to hold up to my old one... not what I expected at all.:(

Once you have played around with placement and verified AVR settings, it could be an issue with the amp. There have been issues lately with quite a few so make a call to SVS and they can help verify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: iamvietness

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sound like you have a placement problem, or maybe the setting on your sub or AVR.

Not sure if you read this thread, while long to read, a lot of good information can be found;
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...e-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html

The answer to your problem, is more likely in there.

Ray
Thanks! Off to do some readin’

I will say that it’s seemed to “open up” quite a bit after just letting some music run through it for a few hours, even at pretty moderate volumes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Subs will get louder as they "loosen up." I also would think your problem is a placement issue. Just because your old sub worked well in a particular spot doesn't mean the new one will. Do a subwoofer crawl.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thanks! Off to do some readin’

I will say that it’s seemed to “open up” quite a bit after just letting some music run through it for a few hours, even at pretty moderate volumes.
Call ED at SVS Customer Support and he will walk you thru adjusting the DSP to match you system. My trim/gian from the AVR was too low and my PB 13 Ultra was maxed at 0 :( I was SOO upset thinking what a waste of $$ :mad: my two small Klipsch subs hit harder on movies. Ed fixed that issue in about 5 minutes. Several other setting were not adjusted correctly in the DSP. My PB 13 Ultra is AWESOME now, my volume in the DSP is at -9 or so now for accurate HARD hitting bass now. My KLipsch subs are in the bedroom system now. :)

Reactions: mthomas47

·
Registered
50 Posts
Call ED at SVS Customer Support and he will walk you thru adjusting the DSP to match you system. My trim/gian from the AVR was too low and my PB 13 Ultra was maxed at 0 :( I was SOO upset thinking what a waste of $$ :mad: my two small Klipsch subs hit harder on movies. Ed fixed that issue in about 5 minutes. Several other setting were not adjusted correctly in the DSP. My PB 13 Ultra is AWESOME now, my volume in the DSP is at -9 or so now for accurate HARD hitting bass now. My KLipsch subs are in the bedroom system now. :)
Yeah, sounds exactly the same as where I am.

After reading most of that article above last night I think my trim/gain is probably where it's failing as well. I think I probably tried to bias my Audyssey setup one way and ended up doing the opposite and killing the sub output. I'm going to rework gain/trim, rerun Audyssey tonight and then adjust the subwoofer output one the AVR up a few dBs. Then I should gain a fair bit of headroom from the way it's set now if I'm interpreting the article right.

Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
411 Posts
my pb4000 took a few weeks to loosen up, as well as all other svs subs ive had.
that pb16 you have should still mop the floor with that vd , even out of the box.
i would def run the standard setting to break it in, all ports open

Is leaving all ports open generally a good idea when breaking in new subs? I just got mine and immediately plugged one of the ports, so wondering if I need to undo and let it run normal a while first.

Reactions: 084runnerltd

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Is leaving all ports open generally a good idea when breaking in new subs? I just got mine and immediately plugged one of the ports, so wondering if I need to undo and let it run normal a while first.
I have not seen any recommendations for doing that. SVS would have the final word but I doubt there is any issue running in extended mode from the get go. I have with my PC-4000s and prior PC12+s. I did notice an uptick in volume over a few weeks of use with the PC-4000s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just wanted to let everyone know about my recent amazing SVS customer service experience.
I purchased 2 PB-16 Ultra subs a year or so ago.
A few weeks ago I noticed one of them wasn't outputting any audio so I reached out to SVS via email to see if they could help me diagnose the problem.
The same day I sent the email they got back to me with a list of tests I should perform to rule out what the issue was. This involved taking the amp off the back of the sub box and unhooking wires. The directions were very clear and understandable.
I emailed by the results of the tests and they got back to me right away with a phone number to call in to as it appeared it was the amp and I would need a replacement.
I called on Saturday(!) and Scott from SVS answered. Wow. They staff on the weekends.
He got all my info and informed me the replacement amp would be sent out on Monday and to just put the old amp in the same box and send it back. A Fedex label was also included.
I was amazed at the fact I didn't have to pay for the new amp until I shipped back the old one. I had to do this for my projector that had issues so I was amazed.
The new amp is working great and I am so happy I chose SVS Ultra speakers for ALL my 7.2 speaker setup.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
So, I finished work a bit early. Wife is at work, and kid is still in daycare. I had 2 hours to kill.

So I popped in Live Free or Die Hard on BluRay. It's one of those older BluRay I hadn't seen in a while.

This movie is loud! Very loud with amazing dynamics. The final act is on a Harrier jet that literally shook my house. My 2 cylinders was rattling my projector mount.

So for the first time ever, my neighbour rings my Bell and says his house is shaking (it's a semi) and if I can turn it down a bit. I was watching at -10. I never watch as loud as that.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Still under my first week with mine, so I decided to warm it up more today to break it in more as some of you say helps. I hit up the Spotify for a Bass playlist, set it to 0, and found a Cardi B song (Bartier Cardi) . . . so yea, that gave it quite the workout. Lots of boom. So much even that I decided that was the one I needed to walk around the house to do a perimeter sound check on. Now keep in mind I have the isolator feet on it and it's on the bottom floor, yet when I was outside I noticed it had my second floor gutters rattling a little. :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi guys,I have a AC filter that have a preamp (max 500w) and poweramp (max 1500w) input and my Velodyne Impact 12 power is connect to preamp. If I want to replace Impact 12 for PB 2000 then which input should I connect to? Because the PB2000 is 500w and 1200w(peak) so I'm a bit confused.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Is it just me or is the PB-16 amp insanely sensitive to ground loops?

I had a ground loop elimination transformer in the circuit between my surround processor and the PB-16 and I got hum. Strangely enough, when I removed it, the hum went away.

Hey, cool I thought, but the next weirdness is when I connected a trigger cable from the same pre to the PB-16.

First, plugging in the trigger cable produces a loud "thump" from the sub, the way plugging an RCA cable into it while it was on would.

The second, is as soon as I plug in the trigger cable, I get a nice low level 60 Hz hum again. Disconnecting it makes it go away, so I guess I'll just leave it turned on 24x7.

Anyone else?

I measured the trigger cable - it's just supplying around 11.8 VDC and has no AC on it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
have never played with the subwoofer trim. I have a yamaha 577 receiver and the manual only states that this fine-adjusts the subwoofer level. What do you have yours set at? It sounds like I should not use the max setting of +6dB but is it just a change and listening or how do I know what dB to use?

·
Registered
970 Posts
have never played with the subwoofer trim. I have a yamaha 577 receiver and the manual only states that this fine-adjusts the subwoofer level. What do you have yours set at? It sounds like I should not use the max setting of +6dB but is it just a change and listening or how do I know what dB to use?
If I understand correctly sub trim will adjust the slope of the crossover and push more low frequencies to my sub or front speakers. I tried it last night and my (corrected) SB2000, which is in a corner, sounded boomy like a ported sub. I will have to try moving it to the center of the wall away from the corner. Otherwise i could see using it on Vudu movies which are only DD+ and need a little more oomph.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If I understand correctly sub trim will adjust the slope of the crossover and push more low frequencies to my sub or front speakers. I tried it last night and my SB4000, which is in a corner, sounded boomy like a ported sub. I will have to try moving it to the center of the wall away from the corner. Otherwise i could see using it on Vudu movies which are only DD+ and need a little more oomph.
Where was the SVS DSP volume setting when it sounded boomy? If it was high and when you added trim it and it got boomy. That is when you should have Reduced the volume/gain in the SVS DSP so it sounded normal to you ..... now the plate amp has more head room. I have my Yamaha trim set at 0 or about 85% of the gain to my two subs. My PB 13 Ultra volume is about -9 on music (depending on format) and sometimes as much as -3 on Bluray special effects. YMMV on these setting every room has it's issues to adjust too.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Where was the SVS DSP volume setting when it sounded boomy? If it was high and when you added trim it and it got boomy. That is when you should have Reduced the volume/gain in the SVS DSP so it sounded normal to you ..... now the plate amp has more head room. I have my Yamaha trim set at 0 or about 85% of the gain to my two subs. My PB 13 Ultra volume is about -9 on music (depending on format) and sometimes as much as -3 on Bluray special effects. YMMV on these setting every room has it's issues to adjust too.

The volume on my (corrected) SB2000 is at the 2pm spot. I will try turning it down.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The volume on my SB4000 is at the 2pm spot. I will try turning it down.

I thought the 4000 series SVS had a DSP digital read out display for the the plate amp. Anyway try 85% gain in the trim from the Yamaha to the SVS and adjust the volume to your taste. My second sub I use for mid bass has a cross over and gain/volume knobs on the back and it is at 12 o clock or about 50% of it's max volume with 85% trim from my Yamaha AVR. Again these adjustments will vary, the ratio of trim to SVS that is important, TOO much for distortion and not enough and the sub sounds weak.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I thought the 4000 series SVS had a DSP digital read out display for the the plate amp. Anyway try 85% gain in the trim from the Yamaha to the SVS and adjust the volume to your taste. My second sub I use for mid bass has a cross over and gain/volume knobs on the back and it is at 12 o clock or about 50% of it's max volume with 85% trim from my Yamaha AVR. Again these adjustments will vary, the ratio of trim to SVS that is important, TOO much for distortion and not enough and the sub sounds weak.
Sorry, i have a SB2000, that is a freudian slip. Dang I did it twice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Grabbed an open-box pb2000 off of eBay from one of SVS’ authorize retailers. Debated the monolith ultra but was way more sub that I need. Looking forward to having some good low end :grin:

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Grabbed an open-box pb2000 off of eBay from one of SVS’ authorize retailers. Debated the monolith ultra but was way more sub that I need. Looking forward to having some good low end :grin:
Which Monolith Ultra sub? If the Mono 12 it's pretty much the same as the PB2000. Perhaps a slight advantage at certain frequencies but nothing that you would likely notice in real use.

28321 - 28340 of 34029 Posts