AVS Forum banner

33461 - 33480 of 33953 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If impact / TR response is what your after, you might be better serve by the ported models

Does the SB-3000 hit noticeably harder than the SB-2000? I don't necessarily need deeper response than the 2000 but I'd like a bit more impact in effects like a cannon shot as opposed to wanting deeper earthquake rumble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am new to this forum and trying to get some advice.

I just ordered two SB2000 pro's for a dedicated stereo system. I am trying to figure out what is the best way to hook the subs up to my system. I have been using a single REL Storm III hooked up from the high inputs to my McIntosh MC-60 mono blocks. The SB2000 pros only have one set of inputs which are RCA's. My preamp has two sets of outputs, one set goes to the mono blocks. I have downloaded the manual and it shows for two channel system to use a splitter at the preamp and run one RCA to sub and the other to amp. I also talked with someone from SVS on the phone to ask the best way to connect everything up. Not really quite sure he understood. he said refer to the manual. So if I have two outs on my preamp, I see no reason why I need a splitter at preamp. Also the manual does not show where to or how to hook up on the sub side. Do I plug it in to the LFE which is Right channel? Do I plug into left channel since I do not need LFE? or do I use a splitter and plug it into both? Or is there a better way? Ideally the signal going into the subs would probably be best coming from my amps, but I decided the convenience of the app was more important than a slight loss of sound quality if any.

I tried looking this up here and in the two channel forum first. Sorry if the answer has already been posted and I somehow missed it. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Ed Mullen,

I need to contact you via E-Mail or PM on this site or even a quick cellphone call.
I don't see anyway to do that when I looked at your profile.

Terry Honaker

·
Registered
771 Posts
Dual SB4000s arived. Really wanted them both up front but it doesn't look like its in the cards. Couldn't get them to play nice enough up there. Left one up front, then one diagonal in the rear. Did some phase tuning with the app, ran audyssey, then did some EQ tweaking with the app and got as far as the measurement below. Still endless placements in my room to try but so far very happy. Running these dual digs LOW for sealed. More than happy with the decision to go SB since I was tired of the massive boxes. I put on ready player one with the first race scene and at first was like, oh yeah, these aren't going to give me that pressure feeling my ported ones did. Then I realized I was running them at the audyssey levels. I started bumping the volume on them one click each at a time and got to about a + 5 increase over audyssey (still way under reference) and my God. My ears are ringing from the bass. These hit so hard and pressurize my 3500 room with ease. I'm now even thinking of adding a 3rd down the road to try and get my loveseat area better response.

Attachments

·
AVS ***** Member
8,940 Posts
Ed Mullen,

I need to contact you via E-Mail or PM on this site or even a quick cellphone call.
I don't see anyway to do that when I looked at your profile.

Terry Honaker
@Ed Mullen may work a little faster. :)

·
Premium Member
^^^Respect My Authoritah!
4,925 Posts
Yes it is ported. Good to know. I guess I'll try to keep my expectations in line until I get my hands on it.
The sound quality of the SB3000 will be noticeably better, regardless, and the frequency response smoother.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Thanks Mike.

Terry - email SVS CS at [email protected] and indicate you would like to communicate with me. My team will flag the ticket for me in our system and I'll reach out. Thanks.
Morning Ed,

Thank-You kind Sir the E-Mail has been sent.
Please let me know you receive it ???

It should come to you as I did use your Full Name, Ed Mullen ..............

Terry Honaker

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
So I have received my 2 x SVS SB16 Ultra's and when getting familiar with using the app
I have found that Standby on both of them is set to ON
according to the manual the default should be Auto so I am curious as to why that could be

after checking the manual my second question is that again on both subs the display is set to the 10 sec (Default) but nowhere does it explain what that actually does?
I assumed it would mean that the display turns Off after 10 seconds but so far that has not happened on any of the 2 subs
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I have received my 2 x SVS SB16 Ultra's and when getting familiar with using the app
according to the manual the default should be Auto so I am curious as to why that could be

after checking the manual my second question is that again on both subs the display is set to the 10 sec (Default) but nowhere does it explain what that actually does?
I assumed it would mean that the display turns Off after 10 seconds but so far that has not happened on any of the 2 subs
Any suggestions?
I had to turn the display off in the app after that the display times out sometimes at least. Personally I think the front display is unnecessary considering the app has all the information one would need. Not to mention almost no other sub has a built in night light and we all get by fine. Could have saved that cost and passed the savings on.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I had to turn the display off in the app after that the display times out sometimes at least. Personally I think the front display is unnecessary considering the app has all the information one would need. Not to mention almost no other sub has a built in night light and we all get by fine. Could have saved that cost and passed the savings on.
well turning off the display using the app works but it didn't do anything to help with initiating the 30 sec default

with a single sub I would agree you would hear if it was powered on but when using duals the display is the only indication that both the subs are is powered up

·
Registered
62 Posts
well turning off the display using the app works but it didn't do anything to help with initiating the 30 sec default

with a single sub I would agree you would hear if it was powered on but when using duals the display is the only indication that both the subs are is powered up
Only need a mildly glowing led at the bottom/front for that, not a full display along the top of the sub. That said when I added my SB 4000 last Friday it was my second sub and it was doa, but the display worked and didn’t time out either. I knew a sub was not working just by the sound/volume. Checked both subs and the new one was a 102 pound paper weight.

SVS customer service was awesome throughout. Replacement works flawlessly and I knew it without the nigh light.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Only need a mildly glowing led at the bottom/front for that, not a full display along the top of the sub. That said when I added my SB 4000 last Friday it was my second sub and it was doa, but the display worked and didn’t time out either. I knew a sub was not working just by the sound/volume. Checked both subs and the new one was a 102 pound paper weight.

SVS customer service was awesome throughout. Replacement works flawlessly and I knew it without the nigh light.
we can only work with what we have got, not what we would like
for what you / we would like there is always the cheaper DIY option

that aside it doesn't answer my original questions

·
Registered
62 Posts
we can only work with what we have got, not what we would like
for what you / we would like there is always the cheaper DIY option

that aside it doesn't answer my original questions
I already answered that. Turn the display off via the app and it is supposed to timeout after 10 seconds from then on. I got that from SVS support. I did what they said but the timeout feature still was not consistently working after that.

I only added other information as my thoughts as a SB 4000 owner, and based on my dead SVS sub experience over the past 10 days. As far as working with what we have you could just live with the display on all the time and not worry about it. Just work with what you have, never add input and never get improvements.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts

Any suggestions?
The default should be Auto, so I don't know why it was not. If you "reset" the app settings, does it put it back to Auto? Personally I keep the Auto setting.

The display for 10 seconds is supposed to do what you say, and turns it off after 10 seconds (just the display). You can test this by changing any setting, either via app or faceplate, and then it disappears after 10 seconds.

To me it sounds like you may have a glitchy app or amp.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The complex WAF algorithm came to surface last night. We visited the build site and we began talking a bit about this and that and let's just say I found myself in a conundrum. The output of the algorithm/discussion was "get what I want to get" but alas we all know the meaning of this illusive phrase. I have attached the floor plan, the room in question is the great room, TV mounted on the right wall and the plan is either 5.1.4 or 5.2.4. I guess I just wanted to seek out more opinions on the room size and dynamic before I start shoveling out money. Again, trying to keep footprint rather small, I guess I'm debating going with an SB-4000 and hoping that does it for me, or going with the SB-3000 and trying to work in a second one down the road.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Man that looks like a really open floor plan. Good for design, not so good for acoustics, especially LFE :) Sound waves don't care about where arbitrary lines are drawn on a floorplan for where rooms end - they care about where the walls are. If I'm reading this right, your "room" is actually the great room, kitchen, cafe, dining room, foyer, heck even the stairs. That's maybe 7500 cu ft. Are the arches to the DR down to the floor, or just "windows" to the great room? The more wall there the better for acoustics. I'm just not sure any sealed sub can really pressurize that space. They will sound OK, but I don't think you'll feel much unless it's near field, sitting next to your couch. I don't think you'll be wowed by the experience. Just don't buy it until after you move in, so you can try it out and have the 45 day return policy.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I already answered that. Turn the display off via the app and it is supposed to timeout after 10 seconds from then on. I got that from SVS support. I did what they said but the timeout feature still was not consistently working after that.

I only added other information as my thoughts as a SB 4000 owner, and based on my dead SVS sub experience over the past 10 days. As far as working with what we have you could just live with the display on all the time and not worry about it. Just work with what you have, never add input and never get improvements.
I didn't mean to sound ungrateful as I do appreciate that you replied

personally I like the display but I do agree instead of a black display when turned Off a small discrete led with red for standby green for active would let users know the sub was powered and working

as for the display I tried what you suggested but I thought you meant toggle it on and off with the app and then the timer will work when you probably meant what @jl82 shows in his post
I have now done that and it works

going back to the question of both subs not being on Auto from the factory well I was sure that's what I read it should be but when setting the display I now notice that the app says ON is default
whether its brain freeze or old age its all good now

certainly trivial compared to a dead sub after just 10 days so good luck

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The default should be Auto, so I don't know why it was not. If you "reset" the app settings, does it put it back to Auto? Personally I keep the Auto setting.

The display for 10 seconds is supposed to do what you say, and turns it off after 10 seconds (just the display). You can test this by changing any setting, either via app or faceplate, and then it disappears after 10 seconds.

To me it sounds like you may have a glitchy app or amp.
Thanks
well I could swear that the default was Auto but while resolving the display timer I noticed that the app says ON is the default so its all good now

33461 - 33480 of 33953 Posts