AVS Forum banner

33741 - 33760 of 34029 Posts

·
AVS ***** Member
8,971 Posts
Can anybody please give me some advice. I'm about to choose between a SB2000 pro (€999) and a SB3000 (€1399). I only have 2 stores but too far away to listen.

The livingroom section (where couch and tv is) is 4.5m x 5.5m with an open layout (L shape) including the kitchen. So full base floor is 5.5mx10m excluding the hallway.

Both stores advice the SB2000 pro over the SB3000. Would you concur or is the 3000 worth the extra €400?

Hi,

That's a fairly large area! Converting that to cubic feet, and assuming at least an 8' ceiling height, your total room size would be over 4,000^3. The difference of 400 Euro's is not insignificant, but given your larger room size, I would recommend spending the extra money and getting the SB3000. When we buy directly from SVS, in the US, we can afford to make mistakes in which subwoofer we start with, because we have a free-trial period. But, that is not likely to be offered by your dealer. Given the fact that nearly everyone initially underestimates his bass requirements, and then finds himself upgrading, I would start with the SB3000 if I were you.

The SB3000 will have superior mid-bass output, compared to the SB2000 Pro, and it will also go a little deeper, allowing it to produce more low-bass volume as well. In a larger room, I think that you might especially appreciate having the extra <25Hz and <20Hz output of the SB3000. It's never easy (well, not comfortable anyway :)) to advise someone else to spend more money. And, you can almost always find potentially conflicting advice on this sort of thing. But, I would err on the side of caution, if I were you, and get a little more subwoofer than you think you will actually need. Because you will probably find that you really do need it, or want it, after all.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike

Edit: The previous post compared the graphed frequency response of the older SB2000 and the SB3000 correctly, but inadvertently used the wrong max output numbers for the SB2000. The numbers he used were actually for the PB2000, which is a ported model. The SB2000 Pro hasn't been independently tested yet. But, the SB3000 should have a considerable mid-bass advantage, and some advantage in the lower frequencies, as well. The correct numbers for the SB2000 can be found here:

SVS PB-2000 and SB-2000 Subwoofers Review | Audioholics

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,033 Posts
Here is the SB-2000 response curve from audioholics:

Here is the SB-3000:

CEA data SB-2000:
PB-2000 CEA 2010 Results (2 meter RMS)
  • 20Hz 103.8 dB
  • 25Hz 107.6 dB
  • 31.5Hz 109.6 dB
  • 40Hz 110.1 dB
  • 50Hz 110.5 dB
  • 63Hz 111.5 dB
CEA SB-3000:

Based on the review info, the SB-2000 will have a big advantage <30Hz and the SB-3000 will have a big advantage >30Hz.

So the question for you is if you don't listen to loud music SB-2000 might be best for you. If you listen to loud music, don't need the extension for movies, the SB-3000 might be best for you.

What volumes do you listen at and what do you listen to?
Looks like you have the results for the PB2000. The SB2000 shouldn't be able to touch the SB3000.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Looks like you have the results for the PB2000. The SB2000 shouldn't be able to touch the SB3000.
I had the correct SB-2000 curve but not the CEA numbers. You are correct. The difference between the two <30Hz isn't that much but across the board the SB-3000 is better than the SB-2000. I fixed my post. Thanks.

Audioholics reviewing the SB2000 and PB2000 at the same time was hard to keep it straight.

Also, those SB-2000 numbers are for the non-pro version. The 2000 probably closes the gap a bit with the pro update.

Reactions: drh3b

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi,

The Guide goes into some detail about what happens, during a calibration, with an automated tool such as Audyssey. (See Section II-A of the Guide, linked below.) All of the channels are set to the same volume level, during calibration, and that accomplishes two things. First, it establishes a relationship between your master volume and Dolby/THX Reference, for 5.1 movies. Second, it enables the automated system of room correction to EQ all of the channels at the same volume level. The hypothetical target is no more than a +/- 3dB variance, at any frequency, from the 75dB test tone volume.

But, once the calibration process is complete, bass inevitably has to be added, due to the way we hear (or actually the way we don't hear) lower-frequencies. The way that we hear different frequencies is described graphically by the Equal Loudness Contours. (See Section VII-C of the Guide.) It is very normal to need to add subwoofer boost after a calibration, and a trim increase of +5dB at -10 MV is what many would consider to be a very modest subwoofer boost.

Unless you like listening at -5 MV, I would recommending going back to about -10 MV, or whatever your preferred listening level is, and increasing the gain on the two subwoofers from -20 to about -15 or so. A number of listening tests conducted by Dr. Sean Olive, Dr. Floyd Toole, and others, found that most people prefer a substantial bass boost in order to hear low-frequencies in some relative equivalency to those sounds in our more normal hearing range. And, that was mainly for music. As we get into the low-bass special effects in movies, the desire to add more subwoofer boost typically increases.

At gain settings of just -20, you are only using a fraction of the potential output of your large, powerful subs. To access that output, you only need to turn-up the volume of your subs, and using your gain controls to do that would be the best method, in my opinion.

Regards,
Mike
@mthomas47
thanks Mike and as always a very comprehensive reply which is appreciated
I have of course read your excellent guide
what I omitted was that I am also using DEQ which also gives me a boost
I assumed that using DEQ and adding +5 on the trims would be more than enough boost it must be said that OMG it is more than enough for the beginning of "Blade Runner 2049" but not for other movies I have tried
that said I take on board what you say
I will test further at my new setting of -5 MV if that proves to be too much I will follow your suggestion and test again at -10 MV and also increase the SVS Volume to -15
Regards
Andy

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey Everyone,

New SVS owner here. :)

About two months ago, I purchased the SVS SB-3000, along with the SVS Prime LCR speakers, to complete my 3.1 setup. My audio chain is as follows: [AppleTV > Marantz SR7011 > SVS 3.1].

I absolutely love how everything sounds, except for one problem that I cannot seem to shake.

I experience excursion noise from the SB-3000. It seems to happen after moments of silence, when the LFE frequencies have subsided for a bit, and when an explosion, or some other bass frequency comes in, the subwoofer makes a (for lack of a better term) "fart" sound. This seems to happen regardless of what volume I set (e.g., low volumes and high volumes equally produce the excursion noise). During the writing of this message, I had the movie 1917 playing in the background at medium volume and the noise was happening rather consistently.

As per the SVS app on my phone, the settings for the SB-3000 are:
  • Volume: -13dB
  • Low Pass Filter: Off
  • Phase: 0
  • Polarity: Positive
  • Parametric EQ: Off
  • Room Gain Compensation: Off
  • Presets: None
The settings for the Marantz SR7011 receiver are:
  • Audio / Subwoofer Level Adjust: Off
  • Audio / Cinema EQ: Off
  • Audio / M-DAX: Off
  • Audio / Audyssey
    • MultEQ XT32: Reference
    • Dynamic EQ: Off
    • Dynamic Volume: Off
    • Audyssey LFC: Off
  • Audio / Surround Parameter / Loudness Management: Off
  • Audio / Surround Parameter / Dynamic Compression: Off
  • Audio / Surround Parameter / Low Frequency Effects: 0 db
  • Speakers / Amp Assign: 11.1ch (there is no option for 3.1, or anything close to that)
  • Speakers / Speaker Config.
    • Front: Small
    • Center: Small
    • Subwoofer: 1 speaker
    • Surround: None
    • Rear Height: None
  • Speakers / Test Tone
    • Front L: -3.0 dB
    • Center: -1.5 dB
    • Front R: -3.0 dB
    • Subwoofer: 0.0 dB
  • Speakers / Crossovers:
    • Front: 60 Hz
    • Center: 60 Hz
  • Speakers / Bass
    • Subwoofer Mode: LFE
    • LPF for LFE: 120 Hz (I have tried down to 80 Hz here, problem persists)
The room details are:
  • 12' x 15' with vaulted 16' ceilings
  • Subwoofer is in corner, 10" off each wall (only place it can possibly go)
  • TV: LG OLED65C7P
I've read that modifying the High Pass Filter can help with problems like this, but I don't see any settings for a High Pass Filter.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks to you all for the info.

I called the store again and they assured me that the SB2000 Pro was absolutely plenty enough. Also a small discount made the difference €459,- to the bigger 3000.

So I went for the 2000 with the idea that I could always go double sub in a few years by adding another 2000.

The difference with my el cheapo (ported) Klipsch Sub-10 is night and day. I really feel the power and kick.

Now I have to wait until my Focal center en 906 rears arrive so I can setup everything correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,960 Posts
Guys,

Including Ed Mullen you might like the post I just did with a New 2-month old video by SVS President Gary Yacoubian.
He Gary Y. as well as Ed Mullen never cease to "Amaze" me with their videos ............

Terry

·
Registered
271 Posts
Guys,

Ive been listening to a lot of music lately and was wondering if standard mode on my PB16 would be more beneficial than extended mode?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Guys,

Ive been listening to a lot of music lately and was wondering if standard mode on my PB16 would be more beneficial than extended mode?
For music - closed mode.
Yep! I haven't tinkered with music yet, put plugging all the ports and switching to Sealed mode is what I'd do.

Reactions: bigzee3

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
A brand new first time owner of the PB3000 and in desperate need of assistance. I will steal AnalogBalrog's post here as they are very close to my setup and settings (see below).

To sum it up, I am not getting any Bass from the Sub whatsoever. I started with resetting the Used sub and then reran auddessey. All the movies I've played so far, seems like the sound isnt merged with the subwooffer, everything sounds thin (like sub is running separate from the rest of the system) except with really really loud bass scenes where the room gets pressurized and it super heavy on the ears but there's really no smooth merging of the sound with the bass, its just sounds like a loud heavy distortion. In fact, I started getting headaches after a while and stopped messing with the thing. My good buddy helped me run REW and graph looks fairly flat with no crazy peaks or nulls but besides that point, I just dont feel the bass at all. Its like the sub is trying to move air but is being stopped for some reason. Im running the sub in standard mode with no ports sealed. I've had subs with passive radiators for the longest time so dont think its the Ported sub sound that im not liking or rather my ears aren't. But im just not feeling chest pumps, chair or floor rumble, not even small thuds with sound, it just doesnt seem like the sub is doing what its supposed to be doing and any help would be appreciated. I feel like im missing something major here and the sub has a big stick of dynamic stuck up its butt lol just ready to give out!

As per the SVS app on my phone, the settings for the PB-3000 are:
  • Volume: -18dB (On Denon Receiver, its set to 3 DB as running 5DB hotter than what auddessey did)
The settings for the Denon X8500H receiver are:
  • Audio / IMAX: Auto
  • Audio / Audyssey
    • Dynamic EQ: ON
  • Speakers / Amp Assign: 13.1ch
    • Surround: Small
    • Rear Height: Small
  • Speakers / Test Tone
    • Front L: Dont have in front of me
    • Center: Dont have in front of me
    • Front R: Dont have in front of me
    • Subwoofer: 3.0 dB
  • Speakers / Crossovers:
    • Front: 80 Hz
    • Center: 80 Hz
    • Most Other speazkers also around 80Hz, nothing below 80Hz.
  • Speakers / Bass
    • LPF for LFE: 120 Hz
The room details are:
  • 11' x 23' with flat 9' ceilings
  • I tried Sub in Corner and right side of the room that opens up to a small hallway and then stairs.
  • TV: LG OLED77C9

·
Premium Member
7,833 Posts
A brand new first time owner of the PB3000 and in desperate need of assistance. I will steal AnalogBalrog's post here as they are very close to my setup and settings (see below).

To sum it up, I am not getting any Bass from the Sub whatsoever. I started with resetting the Used sub and then reran auddessey. All the movies I've played so far, seems like the sound isnt merged with the subwooffer, everything sounds thin (like sub is running separate from the rest of the system) except with really really loud bass scenes where the room gets pressurized and it super heavy on the ears but there's really no smooth merging of the sound with the bass, its just sounds like a loud heavy distortion. In fact, I started getting headaches after a while and stopped messing with the thing. My good buddy helped me run REW and graph looks fairly flat with no crazy peaks or nulls but besides that point, I just dont feel the bass at all. Its like the sub is trying to move air but is being stopped for some reason. Im running the sub in standard mode with no ports sealed. I've had subs with passive radiators for the longest time so dont think its the Ported sub sound that im not liking or rather my ears aren't. But im just not feeling chest pumps, chair or floor rumble, not even small thuds with sound, it just doesnt seem like the sub is doing what its supposed to be doing and any help would be appreciated. I feel like im missing something major here and the sub has a big stick of dynamic stuck up its butt lol just ready to give out!

As per the SVS app on my phone, the settings for the PB-3000 are:
  • Volume: -18dB (On Denon Receiver, its set to 3 DB as running 5DB hotter than what auddessey did)
The settings for the Denon X8500H receiver are:
  • Audio / IMAX: Auto
  • Audio / Audyssey
    • Dynamic EQ: ON
  • Speakers / Amp Assign: 13.1ch
    • Surround: Small
    • Rear Height: Small
  • Speakers / Test Tone
    • Front L: Dont have in front of me
    • Center: Dont have in front of me
    • Front R: Dont have in front of me
    • Subwoofer: 3.0 dB
  • Speakers / Crossovers:
    • Front: 80 Hz
    • Center: 80 Hz
    • Most Other speazkers also around 80Hz, nothing below 80Hz.
  • Speakers / Bass
    • LPF for LFE: 120 Hz
The room details are:
  • 11' x 23' with flat 9' ceilings
  • I tried Sub in Corner and right side of the room that opens up to a small hallway and then stairs.
  • TV: LG OLED77C9
Your post is pretty confusing, first you say;
  • I am not getting any Bass from the Sub whatsoever
  • everything sounds thin
Then say;
- except with really really loud bass scenes where the room gets pressurized and it super heavy on the ears but there's really no smooth merging of the sound with the bass, its just sounds like a loud heavy distortion.

For the above, maybe having your DEQ to Off and just increase your sub level might help.

Than for this;
- But im just not feeling chest pumps, chair or floor rumble, not even small thuds with sound

I got the feeling, your room is on a concrete floor for the thuds. Since concrete floor do not work well on those type floor, to feel lower bass and knowing from experience. For the chest thumbs, you can try using the PEQ on the sub to increase the mid bass. I set mine at 60Hz with a wild bandwidth, with a +3dB boost. That said, the last one also require a higher playing volume.

And of course, all these different setting will require some experimentation since no room are the same.

Good luck and all the best.

Darth

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey Everyone,

New SVS owner here. :)

About two months ago, I purchased the SVS SB-3000, along with the SVS Prime LCR speakers, to complete my 3.1 setup. My audio chain is as follows: [AppleTV > Marantz SR7011 > SVS 3.1].

I absolutely love how everything sounds, except for one problem that I cannot seem to shake.

I experience excursion noise from the SB-3000. It seems to happen after moments of silence, when the LFE frequencies have subsided for a bit, and when an explosion, or some other bass frequency comes in, the subwoofer makes a (for lack of a better term) "fart" sound. This seems to happen regardless of what volume I set (e.g., low volumes and high volumes equally produce the excursion noise). During the writing of this message, I had the movie 1917 playing in the background at medium volume and the noise was happening rather consistently.

As per the SVS app on my phone, the settings for the SB-3000 are:
  • Volume: -13dB
The settings for the Marantz SR7011 receiver are:
  • Audio / M-DAX: Off
  • Audio / Audyssey
    • Dynamic EQ: Off
  • Speakers / Amp Assign: 11.1ch (there is no option for 3.1, or anything close to that)
    • Surround: None
    • Rear Height: None
  • Speakers / Test Tone
    • Front L: -3.0 dB
    • Center: -1.5 dB
    • Front R: -3.0 dB
    • Subwoofer: 0.0 dB
  • Speakers / Crossovers:
    • Front: 60 Hz
    • Center: 60 Hz
  • Speakers / Bass
    • LPF for LFE: 120 Hz (I have tried down to 80 Hz here, problem persists)
The room details are:
  • 12' x 15' with vaulted 16' ceilings
  • Subwoofer is in corner, 10" off each wall (only place it can possibly go)
  • TV: LG OLED65C7P
I've read that modifying the High Pass Filter can help with problems like this, but I don't see any settings for a High Pass Filter.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hey y'all. I ended up getting a replacement sub from SVS. After reviewing videos I took of the subwoofer excursion noise, the SVS team determined that I needed a replacement sub.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Given that the SB-3000's curve appears more "dynamic" in the 30-60Hz range than the SB-4000, how "nicely" would the SB-3000 play when paired with an SB-4000 (when the 2 are properly EQ'd)? Or, is it better to add a second SB-4000 and avoid mixing apples & oranges????

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Your post is pretty confusing, first you say;
  • I am not getting any Bass from the Sub whatsoever
  • everything sounds thin
Then say;
- except with really really loud bass scenes (bass should be here but is not) where the room gets pressurized and it super heavy on the ears but there's really no smooth merging of the sound with the bass, its just sounds like a loud heavy distortion.

For the above, maybe having your DEQ to Off and just increase your sub level might help.

Than for this;
- But im just not feeling chest pumps, chair or floor rumble, not even small thuds with sound

I got the feeling, your room is on a concrete floor for the thuds. Since concrete floor do not work well on those type floor, to feel lower bass and knowing from experience. For the chest thumbs, you can try using the PEQ on the sub to increase the mid bass. I set mine at 60Hz with a wild bandwidth, with a +3dB boost. That said, the last one also require a higher playing volume.

And of course, all these different setting will require some experimentation since no room are the same.

Good luck and all the best.

Darth
Thanks for reply and sorry for the confusing post but its really hard to explain. When I say I am not getting bass from the sub, I mean the overall sound is completely thin without any bass. Music notes, cars driving by, foot steps of Lockdown in Transformers, drums in The Great Wall all seem shallow and not hefty like it should (no meat on the bones if you will). But something with really low frequencies like a horse snarling (beginning of 300 the Rise), it rips the walls open unexpectedly. And that bass I get, its not clean bass, its just a lot of creaks and distortions and almost a juddery sound. Also, the part you quoted - I mentioned in bassy scenes (as in I know this is where bass should be) not where Im getting bass.

DEQ has always made things more robust for me and the issue is just the opposite here but still I will try it out!
And you called it, floor is concrete slab. I have pretty much tried all the settings on the app except PEQ. I will do some research on PEQ as im not all that expert on this stuff just yet. Right now though this sub sounds like a $50 sub, something big is amiss and Im frustrated with the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Hey y'all. I ended up getting a replacement sub from SVS. After reviewing videos I took of the subwoofer excursion noise, the SVS team determined that I needed a replacement sub.

Cheers!
Hey, can you elaborate more the excursion noise video... what exactly were they looking for here as I may be in the same boat as you, thanks.

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
Thanks for reply and sorry for the confusing post but its really hard to explain. When I say I am not getting bass from the sub, I mean the overall sound is completely thin without any bass. Music notes, cars driving by, foot steps of Lockdown in Transformers, drums in The Great Wall all seem shallow and not hefty like it should (no meat on the bones if you will). But something with really low frequencies like a horse snarling (beginning of 300 the Rise), it rips the walls open unexpectedly. And that bass I get, its not clean bass, its just a lot of creaks and distortions and almost a juddery sound. Also, the part you quoted - I mentioned in bassy scenes (as in I know this is where bass should be) not where Im getting bass.

DEQ has always made things more robust for me and the issue is just the opposite here but still I will try it out!
And you called it, floor is concrete slab. I have pretty much tried all the settings on the app except PEQ. I will do some research on PEQ as im not all that expert on this stuff just yet. Right now though this sub sounds like a $50 sub, something big is amiss and Im frustrated with the whole thing.
Are you using the MultEQ app for Audyssey calibration? If so, can we see your before/after subwoofer graph?

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you for the compliment on the Guide, and you are very welcome for the advice! :) I hope that you will be able to add a second PB3000, at some point, because there will be a lot of benefit to having dual identical subwoofers. But, one reason that I am recommending buying a PB3000 now, is that it will stand alone better than any of the other models you are considering. And, if it takes a while to add the second sub, that will be important.

Here is what I mean by that. I think that a subwoofer's first responsibility is to provide adequate undistorted volume levels from about 30Hz to about 100Hz, or so. Once that most important frequency range is covered adequately, we can start to concentrate more on the <30Hz frequencies. The <30Hz frequencies are important too, especially for the special effects in movies. But, there is far more meaningful content in the 30Hz to 100Hz range.

The PB3000 has outstanding mid-bass; better even than the PB4000, as you can see from the comparison tables I linked. So, in a very large room, if I could only have one subwoofer now, and couldn't jump all the way up to a PB16 for that first one, the PB3000 is the one I would start with.

As you add the second PB3000 later, you will gain an average of +6dB across the full subwoofer range, and that will help you with the <30Hz frequencies. You will notice the increase in max output everywhere, but I believe that the increase <30Hz is where you will notice the second PB3000 the most. And, of course, the second identical subwoofer should help to smooth peaks and dips in the entire frequency response.

Regards,
Mike
Mike, I ordered open box PB-3000 from amazon it is arriving on Friday, I am doing some reading in the meantime to set it up!

I have a question. When I see quick start guide for pb-3000 it says - For connection to an AV Receiver, set the PB-3000 volume to -10 in the app (on the rear panel, all but the last two lights illuminated), then run auto-set-up on the AV Receiver. Is it normal because to me it looks like running it hot. Is there a place that gives steps to setup a subwoofer with AV Receiver (Pioneer sc-95 MCACC Pro in my case)?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Are you using the MultEQ app for Audyssey calibration? If so, can we see your before/after subwoofer graph?
Boy, I dont know anything about the MultiEq app but here's a graph I ended up after setting things up in REW. Hopefully the link works.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I will give that a shot. I was thinking i should try moving the receiver off the surge protector as well. Nothing in my system changed other than the amp on the sub before this started happening.
Hi everyone. I have an issue that is stumping me. I have an SB-2000 and i got the amp replaced in Feb and then i noticed a hum or noise would kick in occasionally. Tech Support was skeptical but gave me a new amp 2 months later and again i still have this noise. I don't understand why it is not happening all the time but when it occurs i can hear it. I tried changing my power to a different surge protector but it still occurs. If i replaced the amp is there anything left that could cause it? it is hard to believe it is the speaker itself. i re opened the back and confirmed all the connections are tight and nothing is loose. I have two different audio cables i have tried, neither made a different. Any more suggestions? Is it from my receiver? it is not that old and I never hear any noise from my speakers, just the sub.
Noise from electrical interference can be very frustrating to track down. Try bypassing the surge protector and plug directly into the wall. If that doesn't help, try unplugging your other components one by one until the noise stops and you will have found the culprit. If that doesn't do it, you will have to investigate even deeper. Search AVS for "ground loop hum" and dive down the rabbit hole.
If the problem persists, try to get a video (with audio) of the noise and send it to our CS team for review.

Is this obviously audible in the room or barely audible with your ear near the woofer?

Reactions: Jim Kiler
33741 - 33760 of 34029 Posts