AVS Forum banner

33781 - 33800 of 34027 Posts

·
AVS ***** Member
8,971 Posts
I'd also suggest you should use the room gain compensation feature, which I think is a high pass filter.

I measured this a while ago on my PB16, I didn't try all the combinations though.

View attachment 3027852

edit: forgot to mention, these measurements were done with DynEQ enabled, so there is some low-end boost added from that...

Hi,

I assume that is just a single PB16. I'm curious what your room size is? You are getting excellent room gain below 16Hz.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'd also suggest you should use the room gain compensation feature, which I think is a high pass filter.

I measured this a while ago on my PB16, I didn't try all the combinations though.

View attachment 3027852

edit: forgot to mention, these measurements were done with DynEQ enabled, so there is some low-end boost added from that...
And so which RCG setting do you use, 25Hz with 6 or 12db im guessing?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi,

I assume that is just a single PB16. I'm curious what your room size is? You are getting excellent room gain below 16Hz.

Regards,
Mike
Yes it's a single PB16 and my room is almost square, 3.96m x 4.09m (13 x 13.42 ft).

That graph I posted, where I checked the RGC feature isn't the uncorrected response though. The correction was done with just the SVS app, as I was sick of having to rerun audyssey every time I make some changes.

Currently I have a miniDSP 2x4HD, which I love as it gives me full control and makes switching between the different tuning modes (each having it's own correction) quick and easy.

This is my current miniDSP correction (MV -10 without DynEQ):

And so which RCG setting do you use, 25Hz with 6 or 12db im guessing?
When I was using this 'svs app only correction' I usually had it set to 31hz 6db, which gave me a pretty flat low-end when DynEQ was disabled...

·
Registered
POLK LSI SPEAKERS
474 Posts
Just got a PB3000
Having some trouble with calibration
Just ordered a mic to use REW
Any one had experience of this program?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Just got a PB3000
What kind of trouble? Im a new owner and had a pretty rough start with a PB3K and the App really helped out along with ppl in here so im sure we can figure something out.

·
Registered
POLK LSI SPEAKERS
474 Posts
I find the low end is just distorting and not clean
I have even playing with the subs volume
Considering the pb3000 is replacing 8 inch $700 sub i find thec new one dose not sound any better
Ordered Rew mic that should be here tomorrow
Will see if it is an acoustic problem
Or I have a fulty sub

H

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Considering the pb3000 is replacing 8 inch $700 sub i find thec new one dose not sound any better
Or I have a fulty sub

H
What is your receiver?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have a Denon Avr 6200 and Emotiva amps for all 7.2.4 channels
Rerun audyssey. If you already did that, then consider resetting the AVR completely back to factory and start fresh. When I changed subs on my Denon X3500H, nothing sounded right until i reset the AVR and set it all up fresh. Only took me about 15 minutes to get it all up and running again but I had very little custom settings.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have a Denon Avr 6200 and Emotiva amps for all 7.2.4 channels
Does the new sub sound very juddery throughout the house like its gonna break dishes in the kitchen? Is that the distortion you are having?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Just got a PB3000
Yes, but what kind of trouble are you referring to?

There is a whole thread dedicated to REW:

·
Registered
POLK LSI SPEAKERS
474 Posts
Does the new sub sound very juddery throughout the house like its gonna break dishes in the kitchen? Is that the distortion you are having?
Hi
It just sounds boomy and unclean
I have tryed eq a bit and it dose sound a bit better
I will go do a full denon reset and try calibrating again
It is strange as my super cube 2 still sounds pretty good when I just swap them out

·
Registered
797 Posts

View attachment 3027852

@b0rnarian you definitely want to cork sniff around the room gain compensation on the app. Never thought of that as my PB4000 in my room cutting the low bass extension not something I wanted. If you are listening at 60 db level and dynamic EQ is taking that up to 72 db at 20 Hz, most people won't even here that frequency at that volume so cutting that smoothly with room compensation setting has a lot of promise. I always listen at reference and never appreciated just how advanced low volume listening has become. I'm going to come up with a low volume house curve for late night listening when I have a guest that turn in early and 10 db lower would eliminate disturbances for them while the party continues on in the great room to the wee hours of the morning. PB4000 at reference not easy to soundproof. My end goal for low volume will be Boss platform at full tilto_O, but house curve to take the thunder out of the sound. Also handy for guests who just are shocked by reference volume on some movies.

Reactions: b0rnarian

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hi
It just sounds boomy and unclean
I have tryed eq a bit and it dose sound a bit better
I will go do a full denon reset and try calibrating again
It is strange as my super cube 2 still sounds pretty good when I just swap them out
You could also run both subs off of Y splitter which is what AVrant recommends for dual subs. You'd have to turn the input on super cube 2 down some to protect it, but it might help fill in over its bass range very well which would help with your boominess since it would allow you to turn the two subs down. If you're flying blind with no measurements AVrant loves the subwoofer crawl which will allow you narrow down to a few spots to try with Auddyssey (they don't recommend the expense of measuring for most situations.)

Reactions: b0rnarian

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I don't really check in on the threads I'm subscribed to unless I have an issue. I still don't have an issue, just came to report that 5.5 years and going strong on my SVS Ultra Tower system. :D

I haven't had an itch to "upgrade" at all. This system still makes me grin every time I watch a movie.

·
Premium Member
7,828 Posts
Or I have a fulty sub

H
Hi Howard,

I would say, more likely an acoustic problem due the sub location within your room. Around here, we like to say that location is has important as the sub itself. The same goes for speakers, cheaper speakers/sub properly place. Can sound better than higher end ones, when those are in bad locations. Also since your PB3000 will play lower, than your previous 8" sub. It is very possible you are getting, a lot more room gain in the lower frequencies if your room is on the smaller size. My room is a nightmare for any frequencies below 20Hz, the reason I no longer use the very low setting available on my subs.

Darth

33781 - 33800 of 34027 Posts