AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have 5 Tannoy Precision 8 speakers for my setup (L,R,C,RR,RL) and I have the Tannoy TS-12 12" powered sub also. The TS-12 stopped working so I'm on the market for a replacement. I love the Tannoy speakers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Didn't want to open a new thread, being a newbie, so does anyone here have his or her Mercury V1/VR/VC's mounted on the wall using the pre-drilled holes in the back of the speakers?

According to the manual those pre-drilled mounting holes use 'standard 60mm spacing. The thread in the inserts is M5.' You'd think it would be easy to find brackets that actually use these mounting holes and can hold the speakers up.

I have however looked all over the internet, including this forum, but am not able to find such brackets. There are of course a plethora of other options, but most of them involve drilling into the speakers, which I am not willing to do, or using clamping devices, which I do not like because all of them are very visible: either on the front of the speaker or, for side-clamping brackets, under and behind it.

The perfect bracket would be small, hidden from view behind the speaker, use the predrilled inserts and be able to hold up a 5kg/11lbs speaker.

Has anyone here used or seen such a bracket?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi:

I just "inherited" four Saturn SC6 speakers.  What is the best way to put them to use?  Are they properly used as ordinary speaker pairs or are they special purpose units?

Thx

David

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Just a shot in the dark.......................

Wondering if any AVS members has experience with Tannoy CMS 6 Dc PI speakers..........................

I've given up hope on manufactured Atmos on ceiling speakers for my room so I'm looking to build backer boxes for the CMS 6 DC's...........................need 90 degree dispersion to cover two rows of seven seats and seems this speaker will be the ticket. Sucks no speaker manufacture has viable product at the moment. :(

·
Registered
377 Posts

Wondering if any AVS members has experience with Tannoy CMS 6 Dc PI speakers..........................

I've given up hope on manufactured Atmos on ceiling speakers for my room so I'm looking to build backer boxes for the CMS 6 DC's...........................need 90 degree dispersion to cover two rows of seven seats and seems this speaker will be the ticket. Sucks no speaker manufacture has viable product at the moment. :(
Funny I just asked today if anyone had the new definition series! I love my Saturn s-10's but I can't help you ?.

·
Registered
892 Posts

Hey Cory, just saw this today. I have some CMS6 Duals (6 w/back cans, 5 w/o) and 4 of the newer model 601DC w/back cans...what kind of info are you looking for?

The back can's enclosure volume for the CMS 6 is listed as 14 liters in the manual. Have you considered simply mounting in their factory round cans? This is the route I plan on going for Atmos in my theater (although I don't plan on using the Tannoys, but will be using JBL 328C's instead).

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Hey Cory, just saw this today. I have some CMS6 Duals (6 w/back cans, 5 w/o) and 4 of the newer model 601DC w/back cans...what kind of info are you looking for?

The back can's enclosure volume for the CMS 6 is listed as 14 liters in the manual. Have you considered simply mounting in their factory round cans? This is the route I plan on going for Atmos in my theater (although I don't plan on using the Tannoys, but will be using JBL 328C's instead).

Thanks Aaron................I plan on using either the CMS 601 DC or the CMS 801 DC's.........................the back can is too deep since my ceiling cloud is only 8-1/2 " . That means I'll be making backer boxes myself since I can use other two dimensions to pick up required volume. Plan is to use either 1/2 or 5/8ths inch Baltic Birch for backer boxes. As you probably already know, these will be used ON ceiling..........not in-ceiling.

I gave up on Triad after my visit last week.........................and have committed 100% going Tannoy route.

I'm looking to assure myself of off axis dispersion 90 degrees or more with no more than +/- 3 db's..................and of course, someone's feedback on quality of sound after proper EQ.

Why are you looking at JBL 328C's? I've looked at them...........but have been told the Tannoy's are better sounding with similar off axis dispersion. Would be nice to hear your thoughts..................

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thanks Aaron................I plan on using either the CMS 601 DC or the CMS 801 DC's.........................the back can is too deep since my ceiling cloud is only 8-1/2 " . That means I'll be making backer boxes myself since I can use other two dimensions to pick up required volume. Plan is to use either 1/2 or 5/8ths inch Baltic Birch for backer boxes. As you probably already know, these will be used ON ceiling..........not in-ceiling.

I gave up on Triad after my visit last week.........................and have committed 100% going Tannoy route.

I'm looking to assure myself of off axis dispersion 90 degrees or more with no more than +/- 3 db's..................and of course, someone's feedback on quality of sound after proper EQ.

Why are you looking at JBL 328C's? I've looked at them...........but have been told the Tannoy's are better sounding with similar off axis dispersion. Would be nice to hear your thoughts..................
True...the 601DC does have a pretty deep back can (somewhere around 10" or more). Haven't checked out how your cloud is constructed, but was thinking if the cans were slender enough you may be able to nestle them into the comfort of the cloud. :)

My logic for the 328C is because I have six 12" 322C that I plan to use for side and back surround; got a great deal on them and like the fact that the CD is a JBL version of the BMS 4540nd that should match up well with the BMS 4550 in my Unity LCR. I love the Tannoy install stuff and have enough CMS12's to use all around too...still an option but thinking the JBL's will work great as surround and Atmos (only need to get two more 328's). I believe it's pretty easy to over think some of this surround stuff. I've used Tannoy's budget crossover-less 6.5" ICT driver as surrounds before and felt they did a perfectly fine job...although it's tough to justify going with them when it's not much more to use the clearly superior DC drivers. :)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts

How big are your mains?

The Tannoy ceiling speaker that strikes me as potentially the best choice for immersive formats is the CMS401DCe. The '401DCe has a slick "eyeball in socket" design that can be rotated quite a bit. So you'll waste less of the pattern, and/or have fewer contaminating reflections. I think with bass management it'll likely give enough output in most rooms too.

This is the route I plan on going for Atmos in my theater (although I don't plan on using the Tannoys, but will be using JBL 328C's instead).
You didn't get your hands on any of these or these? I was planning to use my 691's as surround rears for now and heights later, but alas they wouldn't fit in my ceiling. Fortunately my installer did a fantastic patch n' paint job. I can't tell where those 12" holes were even knowing where they were.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You didn't get your hands on any of these or these? I was planning to use my 691's as surround rears for now and heights later, but alas they wouldn't fit in my ceiling. Fortunately my installer did a fantastic patch n' paint job. I can't tell where those 12" holes were even knowing where they were.
Hey Jay -- no sir, didn't grab any of those. IIRC, they were sold singly and were nearly double what the in-wall pairs went for. What was the restriction with the 691's? Would have thought they would drop into a ceiling without any issues... :confused:

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Hey Jay -- no sir, didn't grab any of those. IIRC, they were sold singly and were nearly double what the in-wall pairs went for. What was the restriction with the 691's? Would have thought they would drop into a ceiling without any issues... :confused:
Nope, same price for basically all of the top-tier ones.

Problem with the ceiling was cross joists. Also, the midrange enclosure is quite large.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nope, same price for basically all of the top-tier ones.

Problem with the ceiling was cross joists. Also, the midrange enclosure is quite large.
Did you actually order any of the in-ceiling and receive two speakers (or know anybody that did)? I would have grabbed some but going off the data on the product page regarding weight and contents of the box (which as you know can be inconclusive at best), it looked like you only received one speaker for the same price as two in-wall were going for. I sent an email and a rep confirmed there was only one speaker in the box and the going price would net you just one speaker; especially odd was the limit of three single units (another great quirk of the site). :) This isn't to say that they didn't actually ship a pair when a single order was placed, but that's why I only ordered in-wall.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Did you actually order any of the in-ceiling and receive two speakers (or know anybody that did)?
Yes, but that's because I ordered two. IIRC everything in that sale were packaged as single-speakers. (Which, yes, makes the three maximum a bit annoying.) All of your in-walls are a single speaker in the box too. At least all of the ones with the magnesium midrange and ceramic-graphite tweeter were single speakers. Some of the lesser kevlar cone/titanium dome in-walls may have been pairs in the box.

But back on topic, I was actually surprised when my Tannoy CMS401DCe were a pair in the box. Most Tannoy in-walls are singles, too. At least, my Saturn S8iw's were.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes, but that's because I ordered two. IIRC everything in that sale were packaged as single-speakers. (Which, yes, makes the three maximum a bit annoying.) All of your in-walls are a single speaker in the box too. At least all of the ones with the magnesium midrange and ceramic-graphite tweeter were single speakers. Some of the lesser kevlar cone/titanium dome in-walls may have been pairs in the box.

But back on topic, I was actually surprised when my Tannoy CMS401DCe were a pair in the box. Most Tannoy in-walls are singles, too. At least, my Saturn S8iw's were.
Holy **** dude...apologies! I have no idea how I went temporarily insane and thought the 691's were packaged two to a box. :eek: The 671's were two to a box. Nice surprise on the 401's. :)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Nice surprise on the 401's. :)
Well, I bought a pair so that wasn't a huge surprise. The single box was. Then again, the Tannoy i8AW's I bought were packaged 2 to a box too, so I guess I don't know why it surprised me that they were packaged together.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Have you installed the cms 401's yet. Would like your impression?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Have you installed the cms 401's yet. Would like your impression?
I’ve only given them a quick listen to confirm the drivers work and the crossovers are wired correctly.

I’ll likely not be installing them for quite a while. Immersive is pointless to me until there’s an immersive expander that works well with 2-channel music. DSU sucks, and Auro-3D is more “all channel stereo” than a useful expander. We’ll see what DTS has to offer in that regard, or if there’s another competitor that emerges and costs less than Illusonic.

Depending on the requirements of a future competent-for-music upmixer, I may actually install them in my mains as upfiring speakers. That’s my preference over cutting holes in the ceiling, and I have an extra speaker lead running to my mains anyway.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I ordered the DC 10ti's (great room) last night with some cms 801's for the ceiling in my kitchen. I also ordered some iw63's for my bedroom and rear theater walls. I am also going to wait on additional ceiling units for my theatre until we get more content. I'll give some updates once I have everything set up. I'm pretty pumped but now probably have to consider a sub and possible a new amp to run the monsters in the great room even though the DC 10's are extremely efficient. The rabbit hole just got bigger.

21 - 40 of 308 Posts