AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am surprised that not many people noticed that tv, but it looks like it's superior to any of Sony/Sharp/Samsung offerings and decent price.

Screen 47" High-Definition Widescreen LCD

Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels

Contrast

Up to 1200:1 contrast

Brightness (typical w/o filter)

Up to 500 cd/m²

Tuner Integrated 1 ATSC/NTSC/Clear-QAM

HDTV supported inputs

Component Input 1 & 2 (YPbPr/VGA) : 1080i/720p/480p/480i; HDMI 1080i/1080p/720p/480p/480i; 1 analog cable/antenna input

Image processing 3D Digital Comb Filter, HP Visual Fidelity Engine, 3D Color Enrichment, Video Noise Reduction, Photorealistic Sharpness Enhancement, film mode processing (3:2 Pull Down), Motion-adaptive deinterlacer, Fast 6 MS response time

Audio enhancements Surround Sound, Dolby Digital output

Speakers 10W x 2 speakers (integrated, bottom)

Video connectors 3 HDMI, 1 PC input (RGB-VGA, 1 Antenna Input (RF), 2 High Definition Component Input (Y, Pb, Pr), 2 Composite /S-Video Input

Other connectors 4 A/V Audio Inputs, 1 Digital audio out (optical), 1 HDMI audio Input, 1 PC audio input, 1 Analog audio out, RS-232 (for service & control)

Dimensions (Panel with stand and speakers) 44.4" x 31.7" x 11" (in)

Wall mountable Yes

Remote control

Universal (included)

Warranty 1 Year with in-home repair

Weight 78 lb. (with stand)

Here is the link to specs:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/rp853aa.pdf

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just compared specs to Vizio 47" set and it looks as if they are using the same panel. I wonder if anyone got their hands on this set and can comment on black levels?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, I would be curious to know if it's an LED panel

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
30 views and no one has any comments on such a great panel?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just came back from Digial Life where they demoed the tv and I was blown away. It's really is a great looking set beats any Sony, Sharp or Samsungs hands down. I am definetely getting rid of 46" Sharp to get one of these

·
Registered
5 Posts
Black levels are good, not great. Pretty typical of normal LCD panels. Not using LED. This TV is about easily extending content without the need for another box in the room. I have mine connect via a wired network in the house, but the TV also does wireless. Handles all my audio and video file types (except .vob, of course). Decoding happens on the TV. I am pulling content from a NAS (HP MediaVault) and from a number of Vista and XP PCs. Almost all of audio content was WMA lossless, TV didn't say it supported, so I was concerned. But files have play flawlessly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am also interested in this panel. I wish it was more than 47 inches though. Would love to do wireless slideshows, music etc. Excellent specs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased this tv 2 week ago, and let me say...it's one of the best investments I've ever made. The quality is fantastic for an LCD, and the features are incredible. I have mine connected to the network in my house and can access media files on the several computers in my house. Aside from that, you can even download HD movies to your pc and watch them on your tv. All of this is controlled with the remote.

I would highly recommend this tv!

Greg

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with firemangc. I own this TV as well and find it to be well worth the investment. I've been watching alot of sports on this TV and have not noticed any 'blur' problems that seem to plague LCD's. The colors are rich and vibrant and the whole mediasmart section makes the TV that much better.

Since this is my first large size LCD (over 20"). Whats the best way to adjust the color?

Mike

·
Registered
432 Posts
Either Avia digital essential OR Costco has nice calibration software on their website.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just purchased the 42 inch HP Mediasmart LCD this weekend. Right now i am a bit in a daze - i really am not happy with my purchase. I have it mounted in my bedroom and there is no "wow" factor. Picture seems a bit grainy to me - althought it could be the content from my cable company - but even the ESPN sportcenter set does not jump out like it does on my Sony Wega LCD.

Was all prepared to purchase the 120 Hz Toshiiba - until i bait and switched myself
and came home with the HP. The local shop does not take returns on TVs so i am a bit screwed - if they would take it back i would be on my way there right now.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
whats the best price on this tv right now? best buy has on sale but i'm sure even their sale price is much higher then what you can get online. anyone have any mechant recomendations on this set right now.

i'm getting it for my home office (the 42") which has an ethernet cable running from router so i can play all my media content from pc.

I know its wireless too but that usually doestn stream as well especially on diff floor of my house, i do have 2 other wired tv (ethernet wall jack) but they are larger tvs that even teh 47" wont replace.

i have a 42" philips ambilight plasma in bedroom which i want to upgrade to a 47" ambilight cus its great for bedroom. no wired there so would hav to be wireless if i got the hp so i think the hp will be better as a 42" in teh office to replace old plasma there.

i do hav a lot of content including longer movies to be played on it so its a shame they dont make one bigger that i could put in my main fam room or basemetn home theatre where i have the wired connection to pc but again those screens are considerably larger then 47" so that isnt 'going to cut out and i dont like leaving my pc on anyway, i d prefer to use an ext. hdd connected to tv but not sure this can do that.

already have devices that play wmv movies so need x.264. will prob get a device with hdd in it that plays everything for other tv but for home office this might work perfectly for playback of video and pics on larger screen then teh 20" pc monitor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does anyone who has either the 42" or 47" know when the online media portions will become 'on-line'? They keep saying 'coming soon' on my screen even though i keep getting e-mails from HP saying the stuff is active.

BTW, I have mine setup wireless downstairs from my router and I am able to stream video with no problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Last night the HP gateway software updated, but the online media sections on the TV, still says 'Coming Soon'. Hmmm, might have to call HP and find out whats up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem. I also noticed that the info they had at Best Buy when I bought it mentioned local traffic and weather as well as streaming content from HP. Any idea where those are (besides tuning my local station's news!)??

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've heard that the online media portion would start to come online in the next week or two. I'll confirm if I see it in the "What's new" section.

Quatre - the online media is purchase, rental, or streaming of content from the internet. I was told CinemaNow for video, Live365 for music, and Snapfish (HP property) for photos.

I'm also looking forward to getting the Pika (Microsoft Extender) software upgrade when it comes out. Heard that my SL4278 will get over my internet/network connection. However, I'll have to upgrade my PC from XP Media Center. Kids use our Xbox 360 for recording TV shows in the kids room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One service is now available. Just checked my TV and noticed that CinemaNow is available for renting and buying movies. Nothing showed up in the the "What's New" section, but when I clicked on the globe icon I was asked to enter my username/password. After that, I was able to access CinemaNow. The other services (Snapfish & Live365) still show as "coming soon".

·
Registered
92 Posts
Saw that as well last night. Good to see that stuff start to come online. Im looking forward as well to the Microsoft Extender.

On a tech note, Im using a wireless G connection and notice that Ill lose my connection if the TV has been off for a while and I will have to sign back on. Once im connected, its rock solid, but is it because im using a 'G' network and not a wired or 'N' connection?

1 - 20 of 347 Posts