AVS Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 2443 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
So Android now does first unfold to 88 or 96 khz and 24 bit?
How do I get the sound from my phone (Pixel 2 only USB-C out) to my AVR(Marantz sr7011) usb-c to HDMi does not work

Also my Android TV say MQA but the Status of my AVR says 48khz for everything(should this be 96khz???)

Heos(built in) only does 44.1khz
I have the same phone. You're better off getting a separate DAC and using an app such as UAPP (Universal Audio Player Pro) which connects to your Tidal Account with MQA Support.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
How do I get the sound from my phone (Pixel 2 only USB-C out) to my AVR(Marantz sr7011) usb-c to HDMi does not work

Also my Android TV say MQA but the Status of my AVR says 48khz for everything(should this be 96khz???)

I have the same phone. You're better off getting a separate DAC and using an app such as UAPP (Universal Audio Player Pro) which connects to your Tidal Account with MQA Support.
A couple of follow-up questions and comments to the above.

First, a question for @groove93 :
Do you have success with USB Audio Player Pro (I think that's the name, btw) on your Pixel 2? It's incredibly glitchy and unreliable for me on my Pixel 2... It works like a charm on my Galaxy TabS tablet, and is my preferred way to critically listen when using my phone...

What I need is for Roon to figure out how to make Android a reliable audio endpoint, and then I need them to make Roon work when I'm not on my local network (like Plex)...

Then a comment for Jakob:
As others have intimated, for best results you'll want a software solution that can bypass the native Android Audio Renderer... in my experience, lossless 16-bit 44.1 khz "CD quality" rips get butchered if you allow "generic Android" to upsample them to 48 khz. That's what something like USB Audio Player Pro can help with.

I'm not sure what the current status is, but the last time I fooled around with such things (had my OPPO UDP-203 in between my NVidia Shield and my AVR), if I "cast" a 24/96 file using my phone (via something like Plex) to my Shield, the Shield would pass along the 24/96 without downsampling. But if I accessed the very same 24/96 file directly via the Plex app on the Shield, it would get downsampled to 24/48. Both of which sounded pretty good to my ears... unfortunately, the vast majority of my collection is 16/44.1 lossless. And in my experience, "casting" from my phone does not aid in getting 16/44.1, 24/44.1, or 24/88.2 to and through the Shield without the Shield first upsampling to either 48 khz or 96 khz (and doing a *particularly*, noticably, poor job at doing it)...

TIFWIW

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
A couple of follow-up questions and comments to the above.

First, a question for @groove93 :
Do you have success with USB Audio Player Pro (I think that's the name, btw) on your Pixel 2? It's incredibly glitchy and unreliable for me on my Pixel 2... It works like a charm on my Galaxy TabS tablet, and is my preferred way to critically listen when using my phone...

What I need is for Roon to figure out how to make Android a reliable audio endpoint, and then I need them to make Roon work when I'm not on my local network (like Plex)...

Then a comment for Jakob:
As others have intimated, for best results you'll want a software solution that can bypass the native Android Audio Renderer... in my experience, lossless 16-bit 44.1 khz "CD quality" rips get butchered if you allow "generic Android" to upsample them to 48 khz. That's what something like USB Audio Player Pro can help with.

I'm not sure what the current status is, but the last time I fooled around with such things (had my OPPO UDP-203 in between my NVidia Shield and my AVR), if I "cast" a 24/96 file using my phone (via something like Plex) to my Shield, the Shield would pass along the 24/96 without downsampling. But if I accessed the very same 24/96 file directly via the Plex app on the Shield, it would get downsampled to 24/48. Both of which sounded pretty good to my ears... unfortunately, the vast majority of my collection is 16/44.1 lossless. And in my experience, "casting" from my phone does not aid in getting 16/44.1, 24/44.1, or 24/88.2 to and through the Shield without the Shield first upsampling to either 48 khz or 96 khz (and doing a *particularly*, noticably, poor job at doing it)...

TIFWIW

LOL do we live in the same house? I have a Galaxy Tab S as well. The problem I've encountered with the UAPP App on my Pixel 2 is the USB Type-C Connector. The connection to any cable I use is very loose and the app will crash as a result because it has lost communication with my DAC (Meridian Explorer 2). My Galaxy Tab S has a Micro USB connector and I rarely receive any errors while using UAPP on this device.

Using UAPP I can get MQA Files to work properly whether the files are MQA Master or MQA Studio. This is not the case when I use the Tidal App directly, for I do not know if any Folding or Unfolding is working. At least with my Meridian DAC, I can see MQA files in use.

With Roon, I decided to try a different 2-Channel audio alternative by using my Laptop. I have my DAC connected to my Laptop. The DAC is also connected to a Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp. This Headphone Amp has audio outputs which turns it into a Preamp. This connection goes directly to one of the analog connections on my Marantz AVR. So now I have access to MQA for my system along with listening via Headphones.

Reactions: psuKinger

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

If you really want to get the most out of Tidal you may want to consider a Dragonfly dac. https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-red
They start at $99 and it will give full MQA.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
LOL do we live in the same house? I have a Galaxy Tab S as well. The problem I've encountered with the UAPP App on my Pixel 2 is the USB Type-C Connector. The connection to any cable I use is very loose and the app will crash as a result because it has lost communication with my DAC (Meridian Explorer 2). My Galaxy Tab S has a Micro USB connector and I rarely receive any errors while using UAPP on this device.

Same. Or at least similar. I was never certain if it was DIRECTLY associated with the USB-C connector or not... but it does feel loose, and *sometimes* but not always glitches/drop-outs seem to be associated with very slight movements/bumps with the phone and how it moves in relation to the cable...

BUT I'm also under the impression that certain phones/underlying Android encoding are designed to work better for output to external DACs? I believe UAPP has a list of phones and tablets that they have some QA/assurance that they work well with... and our Pixel 2's are not listed. I don't think it's true that ALL USB-C devices aren't listed (newer-Gen Galaxy phones, for example, I believe are listed). I dunno? I was/am open to the idea that it has to do with how the manufacturer chooses to customize/skin Android. And that Samsung and LG, specifically, make sure to provide better/easier ability to bypass the native renderer than Google does with Stock Android and their Pixel phones...

Also - agreed, we do seem to be running *a lot* of the same software on *very similar* hardware :)

With Roon, I decided to try a different 2-Channel audio alternative by using my Laptop. I have my DAC connected to my Laptop. The DAC is also connected to a Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp. This Headphone Amp has audio outputs which turns it into a Preamp. This connection goes directly to one of the analog connections on my Marantz AVR. So now I have access to MQA for my system along with listening via Headphones.

Same/similar again. I (mostly) keep my laptop out by my Schiit Jotenheim. *BUT* I wouldn't if my Phone would/could be a proper Roon endpoint. I bought a fancy schmancy ($40ish, not super-mega-crazy) Audioquest USB-B-to-C cable specifically for being able to go out of my Phone and into my Amp... but it's just not a good/reliable endpoint, so I keep my laptop out there until it is, and move the laptop as needed if I'm going to play video games with my son or whatever. For playback over speakers I just use Roon to "cast" to either my Chromecast Audios or to my OPPO, both of which are hard-wired to my network through a daisy-chain of ethernet cable of a couple gigabit switches...

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
There are some phones that possess the ESS Sabre DAC which allows for MQA decoding. The higher-end LG phones, for example, should be able to Decode, Fold, Unfold, whatever you call it, without the need for an External DAC or applications.

When the articles regarding MQA being released on Android started popping up on the web, I too was curious as to what type of hardware requirement was needed for decoding, rather than a blanket covering of all Android Devices.

Regarding USB Type C on the Pixel 2, I also have an older LG G5 which was my first USB Type C device. The connection is far more secure when compared to my Pixel 2. I have to add an extra Dongle to this phone in order to Power Up the Meridian DAC. Because of the added Power needed to use with the LG G5, I tend to stick with the Pixel because it's a much simpler connection.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Bad news for Tidal but good news for consumers
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20869526/amazon-music-hd-lossless-flac-tier-spotify-apple

Coincidentally I just got the Echo Auto and have been trying to use it with Tidal in the last few days. Being able to control playback by voice command in the car is awesome but the big drawback is that Echo only supports Tidal Normal/High quality and do not support lossless or obviously MQA. Which means that its a good time to switch to Amazon.

There's already a thread started about Amazon HD music
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3091372-what-devices-will-stream-amazon-music-hd-lossless.html

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,228
Very interesting. I've got a cozy, convenient, and reliable way of getting Tidal to my rig, and have been a happy subscriber for just about as long as anyone could BE a subscriber. But I also have a fire TV that I've never really used. Quick! To the free trial!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Bad news for Tidal but good news for consumers
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20869526/amazon-music-hd-lossless-flac-tier-spotify-apple

Coincidentally I just got the Echo Auto and have been trying to use it with Tidal in the last few days. Being able to control playback by voice command in the car is awesome but the big drawback is that Echo only supports Tidal Normal/High quality and do not support lossless or obviously MQA. Which means that its a good time to switch to Amazon.

There's already a thread started about Amazon HD music
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3091372-what-devices-will-stream-amazon-music-hd-lossless.html
I like that Amazon is offering a 90 day free trial. That will give me a real chance to check out the service.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
My only issue lies not in the service or music offered, rather who I'd have to pay.

They are everywhere, in everything, and it scares the crap out of me.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My only issue lies not in the service or music offered, rather who I'd have to pay.

They are everywhere, in everything, and it scares the crap out of me.
Amazon, Facebook, Apple, etc....all to big these days. I will be checking out Amazon music though when I get home tonight. I wonder how their Kool-Aid tastes:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Quick Tidal question - when you purchase music through Tidal, do you get physical files that you get to keep if/when you let your Tidal subscription expire, and can use/play outside of Tidal?

And does anybody know if you have to have an active Tidal streaming subscription to buy FLAC on Tidal?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Quick Tidal question - when you purchase music through Tidal, do you get physical files that you get to keep if/when you let your Tidal subscription expire, and can use/play outside of Tidal?

And does anybody know if you have to have an active Tidal streaming subscription to buy FLAC on Tidal?
The only reason to purchase is if you don't have a subscription. If you have a subscription, you can stream for free or download for offline listening for free. And no you don't need a subscription to purchase. Qobuz works the same way.

·
Registered
232 Posts

I don't think you ever get physical files unless you buy them and I haven't tried to buy physical files from Tidal. I don't believe downloaded offline tracks are physical files you could transfer to a USB or similar...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
The only reason to purchase is if you don't have a subscription. If you have a subscription, you can stream for free or download for offline listening for free. And no you don't need a subscription to purchase. Qobuz works the same way.

I have Qobuz Sublime. I both actively buy digital music and stream digital music.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I have Qobuz Sublime. I both actively buy digital music and stream digital music.
Thanks for the reminder, I forgot that Sublime members get a discount on purchases. But as long as you are a subscriber you'll be able to stream the content that is available for purchase correct? Which means the only reason to purchase is for if/when
you cancel your subscription so that you'll continue to have access to your purchased content.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I forgot that Sublime members get a discount on purchases. But as long as you are a subscriber you'll be able to stream the content that is available for purchase correct? Which means the only reason to purchase is for if/when
you cancel your subscription so that you'll continue to have access to your purchased content.

That's not the *only* reason, but yes, it's probably the biggest one.

It may sound silly to some, but for music I really like and enjoy, I do like to have access to all the extra "disk information" that you can get by purchasing rather than streaming (waveform, average loudness, max loudness, dynamic range, etc).

Anybody know if Tidal sells music to non-subscribers? And can anyone confirm that the purchase can "come with you" for use outside of the Tidal interface/application?

Reactions: PlanetAVS

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
That's not the *only* reason, but yes, it's probably the biggest one.

It may sound silly to some, but for music I really like and enjoy, I do like to have access to all the extra "disk information" that you can get by purchasing rather than streaming (waveform, average loudness, max loudness, dynamic range, etc).

Anybody know if Tidal sells music to non-subscribers? And can anyone confirm that the purchase can "come with you" for use outside of the Tidal interface/application?
You can definitely purchase without a subscription but it does require an account. If you're looking for high res content, it doesn't look like they flag if the downloadable FLAC is high res or just 16 bit. Also note that unlike Qobuz, the link is a one time use link

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003672089-Purchasing-Music

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Since you are a Qobuz subscriber in a Tidal Forum, I think that you are a good person to ask you if you have tried the Hi-Rez streams in both the Tidal and Qobuz formats and which one you like better. I want to get one or the other so I am keen to ask people who have heard both formats for their opinions. I'll be using the Blusound platform to play the music through my floorstanding speakers in the house. Thanks for your insight.

Cal68

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Since you are a Qobuz subscriber in a Tidal Forum, I think that you are a good person to ask you if you have tried the Hi-Rez streams in both the Tidal and Qobuz formats and which one you like better. I want to get one or the other so I am keen to ask people who have heard both formats for their opinions. I'll be using the Blusound platform to play the music through my floorstanding speakers in the house. Thanks for your insight.

Cal68

I like both. I've used both. I'm probably going to start signing up for Tidal on a month-by-month basis come "the holidays" and then again next Summer. It's a good service.

The #1 reason why I have Qobuz year-round and not Tidal is unique to me and does not apply to anyone else; the machine I have to use at work is a-typical, a very customized Linux machine running an outdated version of Firefox. I have no control over the hardware or software. It's the *only* thing I can use. And, at least at the time, Tidal didn't support CD-quality FLAC over Firefox, and I also had trouble with the log-in on my work machine. That's unique to me and doesn't apply to most.

Beyond that - I tend to believe Qobuz has a *small* advantage on sound quality, and Tidal a small (for me) advantage on catalogue and offerings...

Reactions: lcheetec
2221 - 2240 of 2443 Posts