AVS Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 2443 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
It works through the Bluesound products.

·
Registered
15,295 Posts
OK, now I see what do you want to accomplish. Let me explain better. TIDAL can be done in basically three ways: 1) with your computer using the TIDAL desktop app, 2) with your Android or iOS device and 3) with an external device like Oppo players, HEOS, Bluesound streamers, Sonos, etc.

1) TIDAL on your computer uses the TIDAL desktop app. You can plug into your computer any USB DAC if you want and TIDAL will use it as an output device. I do that with my iMac + Apogee Quartet audio interface.There is no iOS or Android app to control TIDAL Desktop app. You have to control it with your mouse and keyboard.

2) TIDAL on iOS and Android devices use the TIDAL Smartphone app. You can plug your smartphone to your audio system or stream but again, you have to control it over the app in your smartphone.

3) TIDAL on external devices like Oppo players, Bluesound Node and Vault, HEOS, Sonos, etc is controlled with Android and iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, Galaxy, etc) so I think this is the only solution that allows you do what you want to do.
Thank you! (And to everyone else who answered, I read and appreciated all the replies).

I'm just aghast that one has to go the klunky route of finding third party solutions for something that should be an obvious feature in Tidal. I can't wrap my head around Tidal's thinking here.

Ah well....on to looking at solutions...

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Check Tidal web-site; the Masters series is only available via desktop app. If that has changed, then great news if true. Please check or contact Customer Service
TIDAL Masters (MQA) became available on Bluesound players since 2.10.0 firmware update (Jan 31 2017)

Attachments

Reactions: pappaduke

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
I do have a technical question regarding sampling rate. We all agree that the Bluesound Node 2 and Vault 2 full unfold MQA but only when analog outs are used. Now my question is: what is the sampling rate coming out of the analog outs? I ask because on my XMC-1 whatever sampling rate I put into it via analog inputs it's converted to 24/48KHz.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Here's a sample of two pages on Tidal via my Bluesound app. There's a link to Masters in one photo, and a list of Master options in the other. I've been listening to Masters for a few months now. I believe at this point there may be other options, but I'm only referencing what I'm certain of.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I do have a technical question regarding sampling rate. We all agree that the Bluesound Node 2 and Vault 2 full unfold MQA but only when analog outs are used. Now my question is: what is the sampling rate coming out of the analog outs? I ask because on my XMC-1 whatever sampling rate I put into it via analog inputs it's converted to 24/48KHz.
Good question. The reality is that it's no longer a sampling rate, it's an analog signal at that point. We want to know what sampling rate it unfolds to before hitting the DAC.

The Mytek Brooklyn does display that. I think most Tidal "Masters" unfold to 16/48, though some non-Tidal MQA files unfold to 24/96 and higher. I'd like to hear from someone with a Mytek Brooklyn who could give the definitive answer. @markrubin has one, I believe.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Here's a sample of two pages on Tidal via my Bluesound app. There's a link to Masters in one photo, and a list of Master options in the other. I've been listening to Masters for a few months now. I believe at this point there may be other options, but I'm only referencing what I'm certain of.
In your pictures, you're playing only "CD" though, or that icon would be "MQA". Looks like your play queue is also loaded with just CD titles.

Just sayin'....;)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
In your pictures, you're playing only "CD" though, or that icon would be "MQA". Looks like your play queue is also loaded with just CD titles.

Just sayin'....;)
Yeah there's a lot that I listen to that is CD quality. I also have playlist with only MQA titles. Just depends on the mood. I was just trying to show the links to MQA Titles. When more titles become available that are Masters I'll have more MQA only playlist.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
Good question. The reality is that it's no longer a sampling rate, it's an analog signal at that point. We want to know what sampling rate it unfolds to before hitting the DAC.

The Mytek Brooklyn does display that. I think most Tidal "Masters" unfold to 16/48, though some non-Tidal MQA files unfold to 24/96 and higher. I'd like to hear from someone with a Mytek Brooklyn who could give the definitive answer. @markrubin has one, I believe.
take a look at this link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1745217-official-tidal-music-streaming-thread-22.html#post49823553

There are plenty of other players that do standalone full MQA unfolding: they include Aurender A10 and NAD M50.2: when the Mytek receives an unfolded MQA file, the MQA light goes to red

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Thanks Mark! Post number 1052 is where you have a great example and photo!

I do wish the Bluesound products were capable of showing the unfolded sample rate before the digital-to-analog conversion like that.

Reactions: pappaduke

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I think the issue is Tidal only provides true high resolution via their Desktop App. Even if your DAC has MQA capability. I will call Tidal this morning to confirm either way

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I think the issue is Tidal only provides true high resolution via their Desktop App. Even if your DAC has MQA capability. I will call Tidal this morning to confirm either way
It seems pretty clear to me that they provide high res (MQA endcoded) through any of the MQA partner players. Just look at the photo Mark Rubin posted of the display on his Mytek Brooklyn showing a Tidal Masters file "unfolded" to 24/192.

Reactions: yanks1

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Copied & pasted from Tidal web-site.. I was just there reviewing the streaming section under "devices supported", Hi-Fi is supported on Bluesound and some other DAC's, but not the extra high resolution of the Masters series as of yet. See below from Tidal site

** Currently TIDAL Masters audio is supported via our desktop application only.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Thanks Mark! Post number 1052 is where you have a great example and photo!

I do wish the Bluesound products were capable of showing the unfolded sample rate before the digital-to-analog conversion like that.
I will check on that as soon I get mine on Friday. My plan is to connect the Node 2 via analog and optical so if I switch to optical I'll be able to see the unfolded sample rate on the XMC-1 OSD before the DA conversion happens inside the Node 2.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
more detail; Below is email response from Tidal Support, also sent me link that took me to the below

TIDAL Support [MaddiePN] (TIDAL)
May 30, 11:06 AM EDT

Hello Thomas,

Yes, I can confirm that the MQA version is only available in the latest desktop client version. It can be downloaded at tidal.com/download. Master will be available on mobile and web application at a later date.

If you have any further questions concerning this, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Maddie
TIDAL Member Support

___________________________________________________________________________________________

How can I listen to TIDAL Masters (master-quality recordings)?

All you need is a TIDAL HiFi membership to access thousands of master-quality albums only through the TIDAL desktop application.

When you are in TIDAL desktop application, go to “What’s New” and select “Masters” in the Albums section.

To get the best quality, make sure to select "HiFi/Master" quality in “Settings" and then select “Streaming".

If you don’t have the TIDAL desktop application, you can find it here.

Where do I find a list of available master-quality albums and tracks?

TIDAL HiFi members can access our growing catalog of master-quality albums and tracks only through the TIDAL desktop application.

Go to “What’s New” and select “Masters” in the Albums section.

Master-quality albums and tracks will be available on mobile and web application at a later date.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
more detail; Below is email response from Tidal Support, also sent me link that took me to the below

TIDAL Support [MaddiePN] (TIDAL)
May 30, 11:06 AM EDT

Hello Thomas,

Yes, I can confirm that the MQA version is only available in the latest desktop client version. It can be downloaded at tidal.com/download. Master will be available on mobile and web application at a later date.

If you have any further questions concerning this, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Maddie
TIDAL Member Support

___________________________________________________________________________________________

How can I listen to TIDAL Masters (master-quality recordings)?

All you need is a TIDAL HiFi membership to access thousands of master-quality albums only through the TIDAL desktop application.

When you are in TIDAL desktop application, go to “What’s New” and select “Masters” in the Albums section.

To get the best quality, make sure to select "HiFi/Master" quality in “Settings" and then select “Streaming".

If you don’t have the TIDAL desktop application, you can find it here.

Where do I find a list of available master-quality albums and tracks?

TIDAL HiFi members can access our growing catalog of master-quality albums and tracks only through the TIDAL desktop application.

Go to “What’s New” and select “Masters” in the Albums section.

Master-quality albums and tracks will be available on mobile and web application at a later date.
Dude, she is referring on that email to TIDAL apps (Desktop, web application and mobile) not to external devices like NAD M50.2, Bluesound and Auralic 10. Those do support MQA full unfolding (3 stages). TIDAL Desktop app does only the first stage so in order to get number 2 and 3 you HAVE to get an external DAC that supports MQA, in case you want to use the TIDAL desktop app. In the other hand, the NAD M50, Bluesound and Auralic 10 do the full unfolding process inside, then they send the full unfolded file via analog.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
We respectively disagree; desktop app is the only vehicle at the current time for Tidal Masters Series to retain the original high resolution

If I'm wrong, then Tidal support is incorrect also. I will specifically ask about external devices like the latest Bluesound

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
We respectively disagree; desktop app is the only vehicle at the current time for Tidal Masters Series to retain the original high resolution

If I'm wrong, then Tidal support is incorrect also. I will specifically ask about external devices like the latest Bluesound
with respect, I think Tidal Masters is their own term, which is probably trademarked, so they will say you can only get it one way, but Tidal Masters is MQA, and can be decoded several other ways.... what a Tidal CSR tells you may not be the final word

Reactions: yanks1
1381 - 1400 of 2443 Posts