AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it seems Toshiba has put out a low budget blu-ray player with no frills.

Basic Profile 2.0 with an SD card required for BD Live storage.

I decided to pick one up for a gift since it was below $60 today.

Anyone crack one of these open and used it?

Just wondering about boot up time from power up to insert disk.

Also, how is the load time on Disney titles, which seem to be heavy on Java.

*I tried to look up some details on the Toshiba site but their info link for this player seems to be down.

SPECS

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I picked this player up yesterday as well.

I have not opened it up yet.

Going to give it as a gift.

I was also wondering about boot up times.

I'd also be currious to know what SD DVD playback is like on this player.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had the BDX2000...

It was awful, I gave it away to family.

The 1100 can only be an improvement.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I started to create a thread for this player before 42plasma did but I kept putting it off. The majority of my dvd players/recorders in the house are Toshiba. I love their dvd players/recorders. I don't have this player but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000
I am thinking about taking mine back.

Haven't opened it yet, it will be a gift, but I don't want to gift a lemon either. Hmmm... I can't believe nobody is talking about these?

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Hello all...

As of right now, I am not going to take it back.

I will be giving this as a gift to my parents. I'll let everyone know how it works. I'll time the load times and comment on the SD DVD play back performance.

I still can not believe there is much talk about this player.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got this player thrown in for free with my new tv (LG le5300 55") This is my first blue ray player so I don't have much to compare it to, but so far so good. My old set up was a Hitachi 50 VS810 (LCD projection) with a Panasonic S97 DVD player.

The new set up is definitely better, but it is blue ray 1080p vs. 720p DVD. The load up time is pretty quick and the SD playback is actually quite nice.

This review probably isn't that helpful - I just thought I would say that I haven't found any faults with this player yet - nothing to make me want to go get a new one.

I guess because I am liking the picture so much better than my old set I am content with what I see - actually I am thrilled with it. Like I said, it fires up pretty quick too. I have a harmony remote and when I hit the "play movie" button the Toshiba is ready to go by the time everything else is fired up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to use the SD card slot on my new BDX1100. I have copied movies (mp4), jpg and mp3 files to a 16 gb SDHC card. I insert the card and the player displays a card inserted picture on the TV screen but then nothing happens after that. What is supposed to happen? Nothing happens and it does not look like I can control anything from my remote. Am I doing something wrong or is my player broken? Do I need to do something special with the card before copying files to it? HELP!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonknight666 /forum/post/19633110

I am trying to use the SD card slot on my new BDX1100. I have copied movies (mp4), jpg and mp3 files to a 16 gb SDHC card. I insert the card and the player displays a card inserted picture on the TV screen but then nothing happens after that. What is supposed to happen? Nothing happens and it does not look like I can control anything from my remote. Am I doing something wrong or is my player broken? Do I need to do something special with the card before copying files to it? HELP!

I haven't checked the manual but are you sure that the SD card can be used to load media and play them?

On some players, the SD card is only for memory to use BD live.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just received this player as a gift and have been living with it for a few days.

I bought a Sony BD player back in 2007 and have been living with it ever since. Not having BD Live or later profile stuff wasn’t too big of a deal, but startup time and load times on my old Sony BD player have been tough to deal with.

I was going to buy a new player, but this Toshiba was gifted to me. It probably wouldn’t have been my first choice, but it’s a cheap player that offers Profile 2.0, BDLive (which I still probably won’t use), and much better load times.

I’ve had pretty good luck with Toshiba products. I still have my Toshiba DVD player from 1999, and my HD-A3 has been my DVD player (and player for the handful of HD-DVD’s I ended up with) for a few years now. So I was happy to try out a Toshiba BD player. Here are some observations on the BDX-1100:

-The thing is tiny, especially compared to my old Sony BDP-S300.

-It is relatively noisy when initially loading and reading discs. I don’t know how common this is with other players, but it’s noisier in that respect than any other players I have.

-The readout/display on the player is very tiny. I have good eyes, but I have trouble reading it while sitting on my couch.

-As I assumed, startup and load times are very good, compared to my 2007 HD-DVD and BD players anyway….

-First, in terms of DVD playback, I’d say this is pretty close to the HD-A3 (which I assumed would be the case considering they are both Toshiba). I seem to have a slight preference for the HD-A3, but this could be due to not having the video settings on the BDX-1100 dialed (more on that in a moment).

-In terms of BD playback, it’s again nearly a wash with my old Sony BDP-S300. Again, I may have a slight preference for the old Sony, but that may be me simply being so used to my old players and also, again, not having the video settings optimized.

-The video settings are a bit confusing for someone who is more than a novice and wants to dial them in, but may not have a technical grasp on all the different types of “RGB” settings, etc. The instruction manual is no help. It has a description of each setting, but it doesn’t explain what the settings are.

I haven’t had any playback problems via HDMI so far.

So this seems like a good player for the price. I realize my comments are light on any technical aspects. If someone can explain some of the video settings to me, I’d love to know what I can do with this player!

A quick additional question: When did this player come out? It seems to be pretty new, as I can't find any evidence of a firmware update for it. Also, does anybody know if Toshiba will send out physical firmware update discs? I prefer this method, and as slow as my old Sony BDP-S300 is, they are good about firmware update discs when I request them.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonknight666 /forum/post/19633110

I went thru the same hassle, nothing would show on the screen.

If you press the MC button (just under the power one) a menu will pop up allowing you to access the SD card. There may be a lag as it reads the card, so be patient.

I can now play avi, mp3, mp4, amongst others. This is a sweet little BD player.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just bought this player and I was told that it will be getting an update to play Netflix streaming movies on it. Has any one heard about this update coming?

Also it does not have optical audio out. Is there much diff between digital coax and optical outputs?

Thx

·
Registered
117 Posts
is this the same thing as the BDXK100 found at Costco in canada?

i got a brand new one for dirt cheap from someone and i can't find any info on it. the specs are very similar to the bdx1100.

can anyone clarify?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the bDXK100 from costco and it seems to be the same. It works fine for me. The only issue I have is that at random times the play back time remaining bar (not sure what to call it) comes up at the bottom of the screen and then disappear. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks

Oldcow

·
Registered
1 Posts
just opened up a toshiba bdx1100 blu ray player. i've set it up already. i played a dvd this afternoon. Played the second one and mid way through everything just froze up. now when I put a dvd in it won't play. the blu ray player's display only says "LoAd" and a spinning disc on the top left hand corner is visible on the tv screen.. but no play back. what can i do? this is connected via hdmi to a 1080i capable tv. Any help would b much appreciate! Thx!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought District 9 today, it just says "unknown disc" and ejects it.

This is a problem everyone gets apparently. Has anyone gotten past this? And is there a firmware update available for the BDX1100 via the player? I know there are none on Toshiba's webite.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts