AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4934 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Updated firmware. Downloaded via player (although I had a disc with 1.1 burned as backup). Took about 15 minutes to download. Then there was a 4 step installation process. 4/4 step made the standby light blink blue/red for about 3 minutes. Then it shut off. On restart the clock displayed. Entered the time. Then I checked the firmware and it was updated 1.1/1.1. No problem whatsoever.

I played Transformers. First time it froze on "updating web features". Had to force power off (15 seconds). Restart didn't freeze. Dolby Digital + displayed on my Onkyo 605 when the movie started. I didn't have ANY audio or video glitches at all. I'm happy.

This player might be a little faster than my RCA HDV5000. It took about 30 seconds before the HD DVD logo appeared on the screen and probably another 30 seconds before the menu appeared for the disc in the tray.

·
Registered
18,675 Posts
Just got my A35 hooked up. My processor only does HDMI video, so I'm using the optical for audio. I'm assuming I want bitstream? Also, how do I check and see what firmware version I have?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/11959536

Might as well. My A35 and Dolby TrueHD thread was more about the sound...

Here, here!

Mine was about both audio and video since what Joerod neglected to tell you is that he owns practically every HDM device invented, including the XA2. Basically what I am trying to say is that the device I updated from was an A2. From a viewing distance of a little over 8 feet on a 60" screen, I see the difference between i and p. So it was about video for me, as well.

We all owe (or will) owe joerod alot, since he was one of, if not the first A35 owner to get one AND post his opinions. He da' man...Will

·
Registered
31 Posts
Went down to Bestbuy to get a BDP1400, got me a A 35 while I am at it. The 1400 has firmware to let it bitstream DTS HD MA, does the A 35 do DTS HD MA yet? If not, when can we expect? In fact, are there any titles that support DTS HD MA for HD DVD for that matter? I was happy to find a copy of Bourne Identity and 300 when I opened my A35...I guess to show how DTHD kicks DD's asss. Bourne Identity...anything older? I mean I bought both so what do I do now with the demo? Return as new? nope, not for sale sticker all over it...give it to a friend as Christmas present I guess. I rather they throw in a decent hdmi cable or a sack of potato or something or is it random which discs are in the box

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman /forum/post/11962024

Just got my A35 hooked up. My processor only does HDMI video, so I'm using the optical for audio. I'm assuming I want bitstream? Also, how do I check and see what firmware version I have?

Yes, set the optical setting on your 35 to bitstream. You will then have access to 1.5 mbps DTS. It's not DD+ or TrueHD but it's no slouch, either.

To check your firmware revision, go to setup and then the 'general' tab. Then go to 'maintenance'. Under maintenance, there is another button...Update. Push update and a box will pop up. The current format is:

xx/yy where yy is your version number. Most, if not all out of the box 35's will have 1.1/1.0. You will need to update to 1.1. When the update is completed, when you check again, it should read 1.1/1.1.

I hope this helps...Will

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsunderI /forum/post/11962261

does the A 35 do DTS HD MA yet? If not, when can we expect? In fact, are there any titles that support DTS HD MA for HD DVD for that matter?

The answer to your 1st question is yes. The A-35 will bitstream DTS-MA. The answer to your 2nd question is...Imports!

If you go to the HD DVD Software thread, you will find all the information on where to buy and what to expect. Make sure you go to the bathroom first. You'll wet your pants when you see what movies are available and what audio formats are on them!

Good luck...Will

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Is it just me or does it seem like a vast majority of members who bought an A-35 also own an HDMI 1.3a capable receiver?

I wonder why that is?

·
Registered
202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower /forum/post/11962296

Is it just me or does it seem like a vast majority of members who bought an A-35 also own an HDMI 1.3a capable receiver?

I wonder why that is?

I have 2 A35s & an Onkyo SR805 & a Onkyo SR875 (and a BDP1400 & PS3)

I went from a XA1, BDP1000 & Onkyo NR1000 in my bedroom plus a XBOX360 addon, PS3 & a Sony 5200ES receiver in another. Then went to a XA2 & a BDP1200. Once Bitstream capabilities became available, I had to upgrade. What can I say, I love my toys

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
FWIW - I did successfully do the ethernet update this morning . . . Interestingly, once the DL steps were completed and the install steps were completed, when I tried to restart the player, it wouldn't really turn on. It hung at the "welcome" screen on the front panel, but had no video output. I had to power cycle twice before it finally asked me for date/time and read 1.1/1.1. So far, everything seems to work.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower /forum/post/11962296

I wonder why that is?

It must be just you. I am one of the few HD-A35 owners WITHOUT an HDMI 1.3a capable receiver ... but that may change in the next 3 weeks. So far the analog outs have been getting me by.

Incidently, I'd like the 1st page of this thread to be updated as new information comes available. I hate to hunt down info in long threads.

Example: The link to the firmware upgrade could be pointed to post #89 (my detailed instructions) or other detailed instructions to avoid users from having to spend time hunting.

Also the 1.1 firmware upgrade fixed the lip sync issue since I tested the exact same discs and chapters. It is not a maybe, it is known.

Firmware 1.1 did not fix the 1080p/60 de-interlacing issue. 1080p/24 is still o.k.

k

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Well, count me in; I just ordered an A35!

Has anybody done the firmware upgrade via a wireless connector to the ethernet plug? I have a Mac so I don't know if buring discs to do firmware upgrades will be a challenge for me?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/11963369

It must be just you. I am one of the few HD-A35 owners WITHOUT an HDMI 1.3a capable receiver ... but that may change in the next 3 weeks.

You will be very happy when you get yours...I know that I love mine!

Best regards...Will

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/11963369

Incidently, I'd like the 1st page of this thread to be updated as new information comes available. I hate to hunt down info in long threads.

Example: The link to the firmware upgrade could be pointed to post #89 (my detailed instructions) or other detailed instructions to avoid users from having to spend time hunting.

k

Done and done.

Unfortunately, I seem to have two persistent problems even after the firmware update.

1) the player doesn't start up the first time I push the power button. it hangs with the "welcome" on the front panel and does nothing - no HDDVD light illumination, no response to button pushes, etc.. I have to then force it to power off by holding down the power button for 12 secs and then immediately push it on again, and then the player will startup. Anyone else with this problem? Thoughts?

2) I am unable to navigate SDDVD menus. It seems like they don't load correctly or completely - audio is choppy, the options don't hilight, the directional arrows have no effect (except very, very sporatically). Again, thoughts? SD DVDs tested include Pearl Harbor, Master and Commander, U571.

I'm not sure if this was a problem before or after the firmware update. I'm thinking there's a hardware issue here . . .

UPDATE: Called Toshiba tech support - they said this was a hardware problem and to send it back for repairs. GRRRRR. Calling VE for a replacement. . . AND replacement on the way . . .

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm been looking at getting an A-35 since returning my D2. But I haven't seen any confirmation on the BTB or Color Space problems of the D2 using HDMI >DVI. I have the "The Last Starfighter" just burning a hole in my entertainment center, and all the reports about how good Transfomers is - is just killing me

·
Registered
452 Posts
I posted this in the other all inculsive 3rd gen thread. Since i had alot of problems getting 1.1 on my player i figured i would post this here too.

This is a link to the program i used to burn the the firmware 1.1 iso to cd, http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm , thanks IBL8. I couldn't update my through the ethernet port, and when i tried using my regular burning software my a 35 wouldn't reconize the disc. It wasn't until i used the iso burner in the link at 2x speed that i finally got my player to reconize the cd and in about fifteen minutes my firmware was updated. Since doing this i have gotten no error messages or audio dropouts.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just finished watching 300. Wow. I'm hooked on HD movies now. Anyone with a big screen must get off the fence and get into HD-DVD or Blu-ray. I never thought the video AND sound would be so much of an improvement.

Next week I should be getting my Denon 3808 and thanks to all those of you with the A-35/AVR-3808 combo, I'll be sure to get the firmware update immediatly.

So far no bigs or other isses to report. I've only watched one movie straight through, but I've skipped through 3 or 4 others. The A-35 seems to be a decent machine.

21 - 40 of 4934 Posts