AVS Forum banner

4921 - 4933 of 4933 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have an HD-A35 that will not display an image unless “HDMI UHD Color” is disabled in the TV. It’s an annoyance. I also do not want to replace all of my HD-DVD’s. I bought most after they lost the format war and many were picked up for just a buck or two.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have an HD-A35 that will not display an image unless “HDMI UHD Color” is disabled in the TV. It’s an annoyance. I also do not want to replace all of my HD-DVD’s. I bought most after they lost the format war and many were picked up for just a buck or two.
Have you tried a certified premium HDMI cable? It may help you get your image back.

This was the only way I found to get things working semi-reliably after my receiver had a firmware update after which the old HDMI cables that used to work no longer did. I replaced all mine in the end with certified premium cables, each of the ones between the receiver and the tv and between the receiver and the a35 seemed to be necessary to get hd-dvd playback to work again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I installed certified cables for all devices. I have the same issue with an older Oppo BDP-83. They both work properly when UHD color is turned off in the TV HDMI input. All devices are going into the receiver and the receiver into the TV ARC HDMI connection.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Wow! This thread is still going! LOL. I sold my entire setup for pennies on the dollar about 4 years ago. I find myself occasionally looking for a movie that I had on HD DVD , in my movie collection and realize it was HD DVD and it is no more. So I just stream it. LOL No freezing, no skipping, no taking forever to boot up. Just watched a blu last night, the flick 'Rambo Last Blood' and I believe the right choice was made in the end, to stick with blu. Though I am sorta nostalgic when it comes to the A35. Even with its inconsistencies, it was a great player with great PQ.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I still have my collection and have only replaced a few titles where the blu-ray version was a significant upgrade. But they are older titles that we rarely watch and I never know if we’ll get through the movie without it freezing.

I bought this set brand new, still sealed for $5 a few years ago! Finally decided to open and watch it with the family.

MI-1 was perfect. MI-2 froze once, but a short skip recovered it. MI-3 refuses to load! The A35 says it is “not a DVD” haha.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I installed certified cables for all devices. I have the same issue with an older Oppo BDP-83. They both work properly when UHD color is turned off in the TV HDMI input. All devices are going into the receiver and the receiver into the TV ARC HDMI connection.
Perhaps not related to your particular situation, but I once had luck with running my hd-dvd player through an Oppo that was newer than the one you mention, probably a 103. It helped clean up HDMI incompatibility issues I was having at the time. (I'm still doing plasma, so no UHD incompatibilities to contend with here, and things got all better when I got a new receiver a few years ago.)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think the deep color thing is a handshaking issue. I had it too, but found a workaround.

IF you are going thru an AVR for surround sound AND it has 2 HDMI outputs, run one of them to an unused TV HDMI input and have deep color off on that TV's unused input.

If you are going right into the TV, I don't know of another workaround beyond toggling deep color on/off, other than converting the HD-DVDs to BD format and playing thru a BD player.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I still have my collection and have only replaced a few titles where the blu-ray version was a significant upgrade. But they are older titles that we rarely watch and I never know if we’ll get through the movie without it freezing.

I bought this set brand new, still sealed for $5 a few years ago! Finally decided to open and watch it with the family.

MI-1 was perfect. MI-2 froze once, but a short skip recovered it. MI-3 refuses to load! The A35 says it is “not a DVD” haha.
Interesting. All 3 of mine played flawlessly. That was the problem with HD DVD, and the ONLY problem; consistency. The only thing that was consistent was the skipping/freezing. LOL

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The best thing Toshiba did was lower the price bar for the new format. Could only imagine if Sony had no compatition what the price of the first Blu-ray Players would have been.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’ll just toggle UHD Color on/off when using the player. I’ve tried everything. No worries. I actually have HDMI-CEC and ARC working properly on all of my current devices, including the Toshiba so I’m calling it a win. Receiver switches from Smart TV apps to Apple TV and then over to TiVo when I want it to and then to blu-ray or HD DVD players using TV remote control, thank you very much!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Out of 3 HD DVD players I bought years ago - I only have one left - the HD-A35. The other two have both stopped working.. Looking back, that was a huge waist of money - 3 players and a bunch of movies. Even though I really enjoyed it at the time. On the other hand, I saved a LOT of money on 4k, so I guess we're even :)

But with regards to my remaining HD-A35, looks like it's going out too - either that, or my disks are degrading. Either way, looks like it's maybe time to say goodbye finally. And I still think HD DVD movies look better - too bad Sony and Toshiba couldn't work together and come up with a single format..
agreed I still have a functioning A35 as well as Onkyo and Xbox HD DVD players.
We were warned that all this would be replaced by streaming within a decade. When I finally bought Blu-Ray player it was under $100. So my investment in $$$BR discs was avoided.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Interesting. All 3 of mine played flawlessly. That was the problem with HD DVD, and the ONLY problem; consistency. The only thing that was consistent was the skipping/freezing. LOL

I got another copy of MI-3 from Amazon.ca for $3 and it plays. Unfortunately this copy has a scratch and skips a bit but we got through it. Good movie and wonderful PQ!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got another copy of MI-3 from Amazon.ca for $3 and it plays. Unfortunately this copy has a scratch and skips a bit but we got through it. Good movie and wonderful PQ!
Does anyone have any experience debugging audio issues with an HD-A35?

My current setup is this

Toshiba HD A-35 =>
Sabrent HDMI Switch (four port, up to 1080P) =>
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A680 =>
LG UN7300 55" TV (Costco Item)

The last item in the chain (LG TV) is a brand new addition which replaces a Toshiba 55" TV that failed on us recently. We did have some scant audio issues in the past with our A-35 but always managed to solve it by either stopping the disc and starting it or shutting down the unit. Audio simply will not start now.

Additional details I've noticed:

Since switching to the LG TV the TV will act like it is getting no signal at all via the input until a disc is actually inserted and starts up. You get their pretty "no signal" screen and it just stays there, never bringing up the Toshi home screen. Again when you insert the disc it will start playing and you get picture at that point (and if you stop the disc you get home screen) but at no point do I get audio. Thx for any advice.

4921 - 4933 of 4933 Posts