AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread will be dedicated to the Toshiba 40XV645U, 46XV645U & 52XV645U

LCD / 1920 x 1080p resolution

Aspect ratio: 16:9

50000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

Frame-rate conversion: ClearFrame 120Hz anti-blur technology

Built-in speakers: Invisible speaker system

Mounting options: VESA compatible: 200mm x 400mm

Remote control: 4-item universal remote

Progressive features: Resolution+ Super Resolution Technology / PixelPure 5G 14-bit internal digital video processing / Cinema Mode 24fps

Outputs: Dolby Digital optical audio / Fixed analog audio

NTSC Analog TV Tuner

ATSC, QAM Digital TV Tuner

Tuners: NTSC / ATSC / QAM

Panel: Cinespeed LCD with DynaLight dynamic back-light control

AutoView

Native Mode

ENERGY STAR 3.0 qualified
Interfaces:

HDMI Digital Inputs: 3 (1 Side)

ColorStream HD Component Video Inputs (2)

Side A/V / Rear A/V / Rear S-Video: 1/1/1

High Res PC Input (S-XGA, 15 pin, D-sub)

IR Pass Through

Analog Audio Out (Fixed)

Dolby Digital Optical Output


Full Manufacture Specs:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...v645u_spec.pdf


Customer Service Group questions: 800-631-3811; [email protected]


Service Issue for 40xv645u:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customer...&value=1&id=98





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
As i posted in anotehr thread. i just picked up the 46" last night but have to wait till sat to set it up. once i get it up and running and do some tweaking ill post pics and some results of what i see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Great to see someone start a thread for these TV's! I have the 52xv645U. Overall, very good picture with good black level. Backlight is very even on my panel, with no flashlighting, except for a small area on top right corner and lower left corner. Colors are very good, after I calibrated with Spears & Munsil Blu-ray disc. The TV has a ton of settings to tweak, including a blue-only mode to use with a calibration disc.


One problem I have, is when playing games on XBOX 360 and PS3. I am getting a lot of blurring when playing games like Fable 2, Oblivion, or any 1st person game. When I turn my character left or right, the background in the game blurs. Everything goes out-of-focus/blurry, even when I try turning slowly. If I move forward in a game, or play a racing car game, I don't see this problem as much.


The blurring is terrible, and I'm considering returning this TV. I've tried the "game mode" and turning on/off Clearscan 120Hz. Nothing helps. It may be because of the pixel response time being not fast enough. Does anyone else have motion blurring problems when playing games?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
I'll be testing mine out tomorrow afternoon once i get it up and running. ill put it through the full test as in pic Q,gaming lag

so ill post back sometime saturday ngiht or sunday if i get caught up in my battlefield bad compnay 2 game
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon /forum/post/18252397


One problem I have, is when playing games on XBOX 360 and PS3. I am getting a lot of blurring when playing games like Fable 2, Oblivion, or any 1st person game. When I turn my character left or right, the background in the game blurs. Everything goes out-of-focus/blurry, even when I try turning slowly. If I move forward in a game, or play a racing car game, I don't see this problem as much.


The blurring is terrible, and I'm considering returning this TV. I've tried the "game mode" and turning on/off Clearscan 120Hz. Nothing helps. It may be because of the pixel response time being not fast enough. Does anyone else have motion blurring problems when playing games?

I believe that Frito said the same thing, and he returned his for Panasonic plasma. I don't think these are isolated incidents, as I've read others experiencing similar issues in that regard. I was really interested in this set until I started reading and researching that - particularly, because I'd use mine mostly for gaming as well.


Do you have yours on 1:1 pixel mapping? Or whatever the equivalent term might be for these sets if even possible...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Yes I have it on 1:1 pixel mapping. There is no overscan in this mode. I checked it with my Spears & Munsil test pattern.


But on the topic of motion blur....I was doing a little research on XBOX/PS3 games. Some of these games have artificial motion blur added to them. I just read about Fable 2 having it built into the game. They do this to mask the frame rate while turning the view in the game, and to keep frame rate up.


I checked Fable 2 again, and it is very apparent now that is what I have been seeing. Uncharted 1 & 2 on PS3 also have this motion blur built into the games.


I tried Oblivion again, and it is not as bad. So I guess the problem is not the pixel response time of this TV, but the games that I have been playing! The developers add the motion blur in the games, and it becomes more apparent on larger TV's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
i finally got my set set up and turned on. as for games they look fine and not any lag that i can tell. all seams fine in that aspect.


BUT,, my main concern is the HD channels look grainy or distorted. their not crystal clear like it was on my B750 sammy. i tried all kinds of channels and settings and still i see the problem. i read alot of people saying how good the picture looks and it looked sweet compared to other sets in BB but at home i cant acheive that clarity.


Anyone got an idea?


also is there a way to just force it to always stay in 1080i asoect no matter what the channel. i did turn of aspect ratio but i notice when i look at certain channel and it looks like crap i hit the pic size button to see what its showing and it shows FULL SCREEN but when the info pops up on the top it says 780. i just cant decied if i should stay witht his even though i only had it set for 3 hours. its just im concerned when i look at HD channels its not clear like im used too!


whatta ya poepl think i should do or am i missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts
your only likely to see visible smearing on these TV's if your using game picture mode and your playing dark games


game mode shuts off RTC (overdrive) it makes these TV's have low input lag but at the cost of having high pixel lag, i visually only saw smearing on the 40xv645u that i had with dark moving images over a black background (small transitions) large transitions like black to white are fine (typical for a VA LCD without RTC) brighter moving images looked acceptable to me, there probably was visible smearing with small light transitions but its much harder to see that than dark images to your eyes



in any event these TV's overall are pretty nice for the money I really liked mine at first but i just could not justify keeping it for use as a PC monitor once i discovered that besides that smearing issue game/PC modes also turned the color depth of the TV was worse than a TN PC monitor. so color reproduction was terrible in these modes and that made it no good for PC use


the final complain and one i would have learned to live with had the first 2 not came up was viewing angles. it had some of the worst i've seen in a modern LCD TV esp with dark images, they would turn a real strong purple color at even just 20 degrees off center in any direction and it was quite annoying
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18261399


your only likely to see visible smearing on these TV's if your using game picture mode and your playing dark games


game mode shuts off RTC (overdrive) it makes these TV's have low input lag but at the cost of having high pixel lag, i visually only saw smearing on the 40xv645u that i had with dark moving images over a black background (small transitions) large transitions like black to white are fine (typical for a VA LCD without RTC) brighter moving images looked acceptable to me, there probably was visible smearing with small light transitions but its much harder to see that than dark images to your eyes



in any event these TV's overall are pretty nice for the money I really liked mine at first but i just could not justify keeping it for use as a PC monitor once i discovered that besides that smearing issue game/PC modes also turned the color depth of the TV was worse than a TN PC monitor. so color reproduction was terrible in these modes and that made it no good for PC use


the final complain and one i would have learned to live with had the first 2 not came up was viewing angles. it had some of the worst i've seen in a modern LCD TV esp with dark images, they would turn a real strong purple color at even just 20 degrees off center in any direction and it was quite annoying

i was using standard mode but changed it to Movie which looks alittle better. its not smearing although that may be what you call it. its more of a grainy look in the picture especially in SD channels they really look bad.

i know when i had the sammy850 every HD channel was amazing looking crystal clear. but with this tv its a nice picture but i can see the grain effect in the HD channel. now i know the sammy850 was 1k dollars more but am i expecting to much from this tv or should all tvs that have 1080p have crystal clear HD images?


id really love to get another samsung but it seams no matter what model i get i have issues with them. and i had the 850 and then the B750 and either it was bezel replacemenet,IR issues, or the tv wouldnt respond to its own controller. eventually sammy gave me a full refund.


any how i guess what im trying to figure out is if $800 is acceptable for this tv. i now the original price for the tv's release was $1500 but for that amount i would expect the HD channels to be crystal clear like i see in sammy's lcd's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried viewing a BluRay source yet?


Some HD channels look like garbage no matter what. And SD? Who watches SD



For example, watch a basketball game on CBSHD and then on ESPNHD. The difference is profound. CBSHD simply stinks.


I shared the same concern as you about the TV until I watched a BluRay The BluRay source looks stunning on the Toshiba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lascivious1 /forum/post/18261359


i finally got my set set up and turned on. as for games they look fine and not any lag that i can tell. all seams fine in that aspect.


BUT,, my main concern is the HD channels look grainy or distorted. their not crystal clear like it was on my B750 sammy. i tried all kinds of channels and settings and still i see the problem. i read alot of people saying how good the picture looks and it looked sweet compared to other sets in BB but at home i cant acheive that clarity.


Anyone got an idea?


also is there a way to just force it to always stay in 1080i asoect no matter what the channel. i did turn of aspect ratio but i notice when i look at certain channel and it looks like crap i hit the pic size button to see what its showing and it shows FULL SCREEN but when the info pops up on the top it says 780. i just cant decied if i should stay witht his even though i only had it set for 3 hours. its just im concerned when i look at HD channels its not clear like im used too!


whatta ya poepl think i should do or am i missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lascivious1 /forum/post/18270000


its more of a grainy look in the picture especially in SD channels they really look bad.

Consumer Reports gave the 40" the highest marks for picture quality on both Hi-def and SD. That's been my experience as well. I calibrated with S&M but the set was good right out of the box.


David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
If the picture looks grainy, try turning down the sharpness. On my 52", a setting of "0" still had major artificial sharpening going on. The Spears & Munsil test pattern clearly showed the artificial halos. I had to turn down sharpness past -10, in order for it to have no halos. I also had to turn down color saturation to -7. Surprisingly, even the "tint" was off a little bit. It's amazing that in this "digital age", the manufacturers still can't standardize and get this correct, out-of-the-box! These TV's shouldn't require a "tint" control, let alone artificial sharpening for HD signals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I just picked up this set a few days ago after my Samsung rptv up and died, and I can say that I am truly amazed at the clarity and features of this tv, 46xv645u.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
What are the main differences between these two Toshiba models? I am interested in knowing actual difference in PQ, Viewing angles, black levels etc. I did compare the specs on Toshiba site. ZV650U has 240Hz motion processing compared to 120Hz on XV645U is there a big advantage? Last LCD I owned was Sony XBR2 and have been using Panasonic/Pioneer plasmas since 2006 as my main television. But need 46-47" LCD/Plasma for the bedroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Well i never saw the PQ i was looking for out of it afte hours of tweaking and trying different settings.


So i returned it to BB and got the LG 42LH40 and you know what........ soon as i took it home and plugged it in. i saw the amazing PQ i was looking for that i had with my sammy 850 and B750.


I dont know maybe i got a dud from Toshiba but i know what i was looking for and the 645U didnt have it but this LG does
so im happy now.


Gl and enjoy your Tosh's im happy with the LG


Best Wishes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
I had my bother-in-law pickup a 52XV645U last year. It's a fantastic set for the money. It makes me wish I hadn't as spent as much on my 52B750 but this TV wasn't an option at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 /forum/post/18281830


What are the main differences between these two Toshiba models? I am interested in knowing actual difference in PQ, Viewing angles, black levels etc. I did compare the specs on Toshiba site. ZV650U has 240Hz motion processing compared to 120Hz on XV645U is there a big advantage? Last LCD I owned was Sony XBR2 and have been using Panasonic/Pioneer plasmas since 2006 as my main television. But need 46-47" LCD/Plasma for the bedroom.

I'm sure someone will be able to give you a more complete answer, but here's what I know...


The ZV is (obviously) 47" vs 46". The PQ of the ZV650U was outstanding and was in serious consideration. The main reason I didn't choose it was the glossy screen. I personally cannot stand reflections. Most people don't seem phased by them. The ZV is not a true 240hz tv. Search the posts in this forum, you'll find more details in that regards. The contrast ratio (on paper) is much higher on the ZV (maybe double?)


The main reasons I chose the XV was the matte screen, solid PQ, great blacks and the amazing price on Amazon. The ZV certainly seemed like a nice TV though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/18282241


I had my bother-in-law pickup a 52XV645U last year. It's a fantastic set for the money. It makes me wish I hadn't as spent as much on my 52B750 but this TV wasn't an option at the time.

bpmurr: I see you had Pioneer Elite PRO-111 for a short time. I have 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD as my main TV. Now obviously I don't expect black levels, color accuracy, motion and viewing angles of a Pioneer plasma from an inexpensive LCD but is this comparable to say Panasonic 46S1 plasma?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Toshiba 52XV645U...I'm considering this TV.

Question...any feedback on Toshiba's current reliability ?

I'm hearing internal boards are made from other manufactures thus could be a major problem getting parts if needed. Also the panel is a LG >eww
Does Toshiba make any of their own parts???

I currently one a 35" Toshiba tube set I purchased in 1993 that has been simply awesome!

Thanks for any feedback, Ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown /forum/post/18312204


Toshiba 52XV645U...I'm considering this TV.

Question...any feedback on Toshiba's current reliability ?

I'm hearing internal boards are made from other manufactures thus could be a major problem getting parts if needed. Also the panel is a LG >eww
Does Toshiba make any of their own parts???

I currently one a 35" Toshiba tube set I purchased in 1993 that has been simply awesome!

Thanks for any feedback, Ray

According to Consumer Reports these brands have the same statistical reliability: Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Vizio, Samsung, Toshiba, LG. About 3% of them needed repairs in the first 3 years of ownership.


Seems you can find problem stories on every brand on this Forum. These anecdotal findings don't make for useful guidance on reliability.


Vizio makes none of its own component parts for its TVs yet it is as reliable as any other brand.


You probably heard of the electrolytic capacitor issue with some Samsungs, as well as the panel lottery. Given the fact that Samsung and Vizio are number 1 and 2 in sales, you would naturally expect more problems since more Samsung TVs have been sold.
 
1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Top