AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 50L5200U, but it seems that Toshiba has a some other sizes of this same model so this thread is for any size of that model. Really liking the TV so far.

- Impressive picture and viewing angles for an Edge-lit LED LCD.

- The actual TV and bezel are razor thin for a TV at this price point.

- The remote is lacking, but I use a Google TV remote to control everything

- No smart apps or 3D - however again, I use a Google TV box to do all of that and more

- The DynaLight system produces impressive black levels for an Edge Lit LED

Two issues so far --

1. I can't tell if there is anyway to tell if the signal being sent to the TV is at 60hz vs 24hz (24p mode that some Blu-Rays offer to make the movie look more like film in a theater) from my PS3. My old TV always showed "1080p 60hz" or "1080p 24hz" when I pushed the info button. Its listed as supported in the manual but I can't seem to tell if/when its being used.

2. Seems that the "Game Mode" option doesn't stay after you switch to another input or turn the TV off. Very annoying because I find I need to go back into anytime I want to play PS3 or Wii. Although with "Game Mode" on I didn't notice any lag. Without it there was noticeable lag.

Maybe these two items can be addressed in a future Firmware update?

I would be interested in hearing what settings other people are using on their TVs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I read about this tv on the net yesterday. I saw it at bb. I was impressed looked at the 40" model. What do you think of the sound?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not tested the sound as I use a sound bar. I would advise to purchase a sound bar (at any quality) as they are almost always better. This TV is so thin that there isn't much room for decent speakers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is there an issue with ghosting? A guy on the best buy website said;

"What's not so great: Ghosting, motion blur watching sports events

Tv has a crystal clear screen and is very bright, but if your a sports watcher like myself look elsewhere. Kept this tv one day before returning,

Could not deal with the motion blur and ghosting while watching the NBA.

Tv is good on energy and is thin, but I would highly recommend a tv with a higher refresh rate such as a plasma."

·
Registered
269 Posts
Anyway I got to check the the TV out at best buy but best buy absolutely sucks and is essentially worthless when it comes to trying to make a judgement of the TV unless its in the Magnolia section. I mean the TV looked decent I guess for it being 15ft high and playing some awful store feed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not noticed any ghosting watching sports (baseketball, baseball, and football highlights). However, I keep the 120 hz"off. I hate the super smooth look.. its possible that the smooth motion looked strange to the Best Buy reviewer. Even though the 120 hz is supposed to help with fast motion - I believe it makes it look much worse.

·
Banned
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones  /t/1418649/official-toshiba-xxl5200u-thread-50l5200u-46l5200u-40l5200u#post_22196663

I don't understand your post. Are you asking what ghosting is?

I am. What do you mean by ghosting? Do you mean motion blur or double image?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherds  /t/1418649/official-toshiba-xxl5200u-thread-50l5200u-46l5200u-40l5200u#post_22203130

Any owners care to comment on the sd quality (cable) of these models ?

arthur

I thought the SD looked horrible out of the box, but after adjusting the settings it doesn't look too bad. Watching 480p DVD looks good as well. I have the 50 inch so SD is stretched quite a bit, but I am satisfied with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancegrant  /t/1418649/official-toshiba-xxl5200u-thread-50l5200u-46l5200u-40l5200u#post_22208034

I thought the SD looked horrible out of the box, but after adjusting the settings it doesn't look too bad. Watching 480p DVD looks good as well. I have the 50 inch so SD is stretched quite a bit, but I am satisfied with it.

Thanks for the reply .Care to share the settings you used ? Do you have to alternate different settings between hd and sd or does one grouping rule them all (ala one ring )

arthur

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I hope this is the right forum

Did anyone face problem connecting through HDMI.. The TV is not recognizing anything - cable box, Xbox, laptop (Sony/Dell).. I updated the TV firmware as well..

Any suggestions are welcome..

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
just received a 46L5200U yesterday and have enjoyed the initial experience so far. picture is outstanding and extremely clear. default calibration out of the box and everything has a very soap opera effect to it. obviously i have read that turning off clearframe will reduce this. only 24 hours into it but no discernible flashlighting or clouding in dark scenes. again this is all at default settings.

and yes there is noticeable ghosting during fast paced sports sequences. but it is seems to be localized to just the football during a long pass or the puck when being shot. nba basketball didn't exhibit any ghosting of the ball during passing or shooting. strangely enough baseball didn't seem to have any ghosting during pitching sequences either---probably due to the viewing angle over the pitcher's shoulder, a longer camera angle might produce more ghosting on the ball. none of the players in any of the sports i watched seemed to be ghosting when running or moving quickly.

i am going to play around with the clearframe settings tonight to see if i can eliminate the ball or puck ghosting. hopefully this is possible otherwise i will have to make a return since i will be watching plenty of sports on it.

any recommended settings for the basics like brightness, contrast, etc..??? saw some numbers from an amazon review, guess that is a good place to start as any. will post back in a few days with my results. really want to like this tv...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked up a 50L5200U yesterday from hh gregg. It was an open box display and got it for 699. Tv is in great condition for a demo, and has a beautiful picture. Must not be a very popular model here, I see there are no user settings posted by anyone, and not too many post either. So have been tweaking it and looking pretty good. Does anyone know how to access the service menu so I can check the panel hours? I have searched google and have found nothing on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just bought this set at a Best Buy event, and it has some ghosting for sure (while watching ER on DVD).

I will turn clearframe off and see if that helps...there is plenty of flashlighting from the corners in dark scenes, is this typical of LED TVs?

I am replacing a 32 Regza LCD and the picture isn't that much better and has ghosting on the Regza, nor flashlighting...

This is a 50" version.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know how the 46L5200U compares to the Samsung UN46EH6000? They seem pretty similar as far as I can tell, and similar in price. I'm having a hard time deciding on one over the other. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts