AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3730 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/17354074

We already have a 8500 thread, don't need a second one.

For the record this one was started first....and by an owner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a un46b8500, admittedly wont be delivered til Saturday. And you started your thread WHILE I was typing mine, so I dont think you should fault me
Yours is named better however, so I bow to your superior thread-starting abilities.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashfall /forum/post/17354518

I bought a un46b8500, admittedly wont be delivered til Saturday. And you started your thread WHILE I was typing mine, so I dont think you should fault me
Yours is named better however, so I bow to your superior thread-starting abilities.

It's all good man!
My B8500 is amazing. You will be blown away!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/17355279

Look at the time stamps

I did. This one was posted at 12:28pm. The other one was posted at 12:33pm. Very close but this one just nudged it I believe.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This one is posted first so I'm posting here hence forth.

I just recieved my 46". I'm using a plasma for movies in the HT room and my new absurdly beautiful 46" B8500 will replace my ancient 30" Sony LCD, which by the way, looks truly comical next to the 46" B8500. This is my first significant LCD set and wondering when/if calibration (as on my plasma) is required or reccomended? Is calibration not a big deal for high end LCDs and instead I should just focus on tweaking my setting per my environment? Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk /forum/post/17355540

I just recieved my 46". I'm using a plasma for movies in the HT room and my new absurdly beautiful 46" B8500 will replace my ancient 30" Sony LCD, which by the way, looks truly comical next to the 46" B8500. This is my first significant LCD set and wondering when/if calibration (as on my plasma) is required or reccomended? Is calibration not a big deal for high end LCDs and instead I should just focus on tweaking my setting per my environment? Thanks.

Good question. I calibrated my 55" with the Spears & Munsil disc. Barely had to change any settings on "Movie" mode. Pumped up a few settings a notch or two and that's it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tonight I pulled up my widgets and there was a download available. It looks like Blockbuster on demand and Amazon video on demand are now available, along with an Ebay widget (not sure if that one was there before). The Amazon and Blockbuster widgets are basically what you would expect. Haven't rented anything from either but might give it a try this weekend.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone tried hooking up their PC to the 8500? How is the picture quality? I want to stream netflix on demand to the TV, wondering what the best way is, and how good it will look. Am I better off playing it through an xbox 360 rather than hooking up the PC directly? Or using one of the DLNA / Anynet features? I think netflix will only play through a proprietary internet-explorer-based program.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp /forum/post/17357543

Tonight I pulled up my widgets and there was a download available. It looks like Blockbuster on demand and Amazon video on demand are now available, along with an Ebay widget (not sure if that one was there before). The Amazon and Blockbuster widgets are basically what you would expect. Haven't rented anything from either but might give it a try this weekend.

do you run an ethernet cable to the set, or is the 8500 able to connect wirelessly?

·
Registered
443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama /forum/post/17358891

do you run an ethernet cable to the set, or is the 8500 able to connect wirelessly?

You need a Samsung USB Wireless stick to connect the Sammy to a network.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk /forum/post/17355540

Yes, calibrating the white balance with a meter makes a huge difference over stock movie mode. You can read more about it in my review.

Stock movie mode looks really 3-D: dreary, dingy, and drab.

(sorry, I'm going overboard a little bit)

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/17358958

Yes, calibrating the white balance with a meter makes a huge difference over stock movie mode. You can read more about it in my review.

Thanks Chad! And thanks Lindsey. It's a costly set so I'd like to maximize the set's capabilities. I've simply never understood how often LCD sets are professionally calibrated. On a display as uniquely capable as this one I'd like to be sure it's rendering the best PQ it can or close to it so going to have it calibrated. Thanks for the review, Chad!

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/17358958

so when will you be over in the noVA/DC area to do calibrations? =)

1 - 20 of 3730 Posts