AVS Forum banner

781 - 799 of 799 Posts

·
Registered
16,549 Posts
The stand alone software for that remote was discontinued as was the 'legacy' forum was six years ago. Ironically, the stand alone SW for the 810 & 850 is still available.
BUT, their CCP (Complete Control Products) universal software (that is so unfriendly to figure out to use) will work with that remote.

Reactions: AVfile

·
Registered
4 Posts
The stand alone software for that remote was discontinued as was the 'legacy' forum was six years ago. Ironically, the stand alone SW for the 810 & 850 is still available.
BUT, their CCP (Complete Control Products) universal software (that is so unfriendly to figure out to use) will work with that remote.
I could probably figure it out, but it seems to be available in very limited fashion

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I could probably figure it out, but it seems to be available in very limited fashion

I would suggest finding a local URC dealer and discussing your options. It helps if you buy something from them.

However at that point I would understand if you prefer to sell it on eBay and just buy a cheap Harmony.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With where I'm at in the wiring in the house, I'd rather not buy anything. I have still to complete the tracing of cat5 and coax in the house as well as bulling speaker wires back into their boxes and getting some speakers working. I shoud get a rack to set everything on instead of the shelf that its on but when installers don't leave loops in the cable its difficult to reorganize. I'm pretty sure the only reason this was left is because the previous owner couldn't get the TV off the wall.... lol

·
Registered
489 Posts
We moved into a house with a MX-880 left, trying to figure out how to update the remote but it looks like an exercise in futility. Pretty crappy for them to remove all support for their older remotes. Search for a program to update the remote continues.
Unfortunately these remotes were not intended for consumer updating. They were intended for updates through home theater installers/maintainers. I got frustrated with having to rely on my high end home theater company to do all the tweaks (at a cost each time) and was able to get the software from a company when I bought a new MX990 remote from them a while back. The software is called "Complete Control Program for Universal Remotes". If you do some searching on this thread you might be able to find more information but it is unlikely that you will be able to just buy the software. Also, the software is not "consumer friendly" as you really have to pretty much be a computer nerd to be able to use it.

The problem in doing a "google search" is that the name of the remote being "Universal Remote" makes it very difficult to find specific information about the remote brand because the remote name is also the generic name used for the whole category of programmable remotes... You get a lot of stuff you don't want.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the URC MX-890 and programmed by dealer. I have bought a new 4K blu ray player and just found out that I can’t reprogrammed the remote myself and need the dealer to come to reprogram the remote with the new blu ray player. Any dealer around Sacramento area that can program and how much does it cost?

·
Premium Member
18,274 Posts
I have the URC MX-890 and programmed by dealer. I have bought a new 4K blu ray player and just found out that I can’t reprogrammed the remote myself and need the dealer to come to reprogram the remote with the new blu ray player. Any dealer around Sacramento area that can program and how much does it cost?
I'd contact the original company that programmed your MX-890 and see if they'll come out and edit your program for your new device. Might be cheaper than finding a whole new dealer to do it.

Otherwise, you can find a new dealer/installer via URC's website: https://www.universalremote.com/support/contact/

·
Registered
405 Posts
Has anyone here had success enabling the 'Xbox Button' (the button that brings you to Home in the Xbox One X system) with the MX-890 remote? My programmer insists that he enabled all possible buttons and commands for Xbox in my URC, but I still do that have the ability to go 'Home' in my Xbox system - Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for Trouble Shooting Help

Recently moved. I packed up the old system and components labeling every cable and cord and reassembled in the new house. Everything works but the remote. Currently using an MX 890 to an MRF-350 with an RFX 250 sensor. The components are not only getting signals through exaggerated pointing and all cabinet doors must be now be open. All sensor cables are connected to same components and in same slots on base.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Double check the cable between the rfx-250 and the base. Also ensure you aren't using channel 0 and the channel button didn't get moved somehow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I can see the lights on the 250 and 350 flash when I hit the remote as well as the flashers on the leads to the components. But I'll double check setting to insure it's not on zero.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Recently moved. I packed up the old system and components labeling every cable and cord and reassembled in the new house. Everything works but the remote. Currently using an MX 890 to an MRF-350 with an RFX 250 sensor. The components are not only getting signals through exaggerated pointing and all cabinet doors must be now be open. All sensor cables are connected to same components and in same slots on base.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Are you getting excessive RF interference? Have you tried moving the 250 around?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the input. After playing with it awhile, I have got everything working except the TV. It's looking like the original installer did not program the base (350) to relay signals to the TV but did program the remote to send signals to the TV. It seems the TV is mounted an 1/8 and inch or so lower than in the original house which means the sound bar blocks the TV remote sensor when I am sitting on the couch. If I stand up and point at the sensor from a point level or above the sensor I don't have any issue.

Since the remote does control the cable box and AppleTV its turned out to be a minor inconvenience.

Thanks again

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi All,

I'm going to get a home theater installed soon, I'm very excited. I originally planned on doing it all myself, but it's a lot of money, and I realized that the money / time I'll spend if I F something up to fix it will be far greater than the premium I pay to just make sure it's done right and clean the first time. My installer is quoting a URC MX-990i remote and the MRF-350I base station.

I know that URC has great reviews, but am I going to wish I had a harmony? Also, there are a lot of buttons on that remote. I usually use an Apple TV, and I cut the cord a while back, so the idea of using a num pad for channel entry is just silly to me. Does URC make anything that is more simple? Is this 990i decent?

·
Registered
16,549 Posts
This is in the family of many of their remotes that use a 'Fuji NP60' battery pack. Easily obtainable, but the run time is ridiculously short. As little as three days, more like two until you have to recharge it.
I have the MX980 which is a somewhat older remote that uses the same pack. if that isn't a problem, out of the two, for a cost difference, I would go with the older model if which there should be plenty available on eBay.

Have stated that, I assume you understand the biggest negative with the URC marketing/sales policy is they are meant to be sold thru 'dealers' and inflated price that would/should include the 'dealer' do the programming (of course adding to the purchase price). Something I whole hearty disagree with. The software is only available thru dealers (for the most part), but most/many will not provide that to you. But, if you search enough, there are other sources that the program can be had.

There is also a older, less fancy remote which, as far as I'm concerned is a better buy based on cost and especially ease of programming. The MX900. It doesn't have the overly fancy display (it's low resolution, dot matrix). That uses a dedicated program for that remote, but it can also use their 'one size fits all' CCP which is a advanced program that is not user friendly. The biggest plus is it uses common AAA cells either alkaline or rechargeable NiMh/NiCD that last over a week w/o recharging (outside the remote). I kept a spare set of cells charged to swap out when I used my MX900.

As far as Harmony which is popular here, due to the program being available to the user, programming that is done thru their web site which I'm against. One shouldn't have to connect to the Internet to just program a remote. Talk about 'phoning home'. :rolleyes:

I guess it's based on if you want to pay someone to program a remote for you, or do it yourself. There are pros & cons either way.

·
Registered
16,549 Posts
A quick search showed that a low price for this new is around $400. The details for the remote are here;
https://www.universalremote.com/product/mx-990/

The MX980 should be available for under $100 used and the older MX900 can be had for under $50 used and possibly as low as $20 (plus tax & shipping). ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah. Thanks for the perspective. I totally understand that URC is exclusively sold through the dealer model. I can get past that. I've owned harmony remotes in the past, and I have one set up at my parents' house. It's fine... I'm not in love with it, but it's fine. Right now we have a TV w/ some gaming devices and an Apple TV connected w/ a soundbar. I can use the Apple TV remote for everything. i get that things get more complicated when a projector and receiver come into the mix... so I need an AVR... but I'm never going to get cable again, I don't need most of the buttons on the URC I'm slated to get, I definitely don't need a num pad. Is there any decent option that isn't some monstrosity of buttons? Or is the universal remote market that lame?

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
No num keys, no ffwd/rew. Sounds like it's right up your alley:

There are also lots of streamer type universals now:

781 - 799 of 799 Posts