AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1400 Posts

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At least one person (er, web site) is. The specific set is a E60-C3

RTings has their 1st test of 2015 and it is a Vizio 'E' series. Not just a first test, but a whole new look to their web site. Additional tests have been added which is always welcome. Here is a link to the test;
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/e-series-2015

Vizio's site has this on the 2015 'E' series ;
http://www.vizio.com/tvs/eseries.html

Specifically for the model tested;
http://www.vizio.com/tvs/eseries/e60c3.html

Owners manual is here;
http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/e60c3/um-e60c3.pdf

In.out connects are about the same as previous years, so is their menu. Clear, easy to use, little reason to change it. It doesn't block half the screen with unnecessary, distracting images like Sony and Samsung uses that only makes adjusting the video even harder. :rolleyes:
One big downside is the Goldstar (LG) style stand, er, should I say 'legs'. Rtings comments on this less than idea design.
Vizio has followed others with reducing, almost eliminating the on set controls. Settling for a single power button that is hidden and very hard to find on the rear (not side) of the cabinet. Might as well not have in the first place.

Attachments

Reactions: crackjackx

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
They have also re-tested a "P" series set from last year as a basis for comparison for the added tests that are being conducted.
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/p-series
Update: We retested the Vizio P Series (P602ui-b3) under our new test bench for 2015, because this model will only get replaced later in fall 2015. With the new pictures and test results, you will be able to compare it using the same methodology as other 2015 models.
Additional reviews;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0SMBFPDG&linkCode=as2&linkId=SLYSUZH5P5UI2A7E

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey guys...

I just pulled the trigger on the new 2015 Vizio E40-C2 and I'm really impressed with it considering i'm moving up from a 2008 Samsung LNT3253H that has just died on me for the second time in a year in a half.

I paid $339.99 plus tax from Costco.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just bought a 2014 E series 60" a month and a half ago, so glad to hear this is basically the same panel with a worse stand. I was worried the new panel would be better and I would have buyer's remorse.

It's a good set. I think the normal color temperature is a little too warm, perhaps under 6500k, but I don't have professional equipment to test that with. The middle color temp, labeled "computer," is a little too cool, so it's frustrating. Either way everything else about the set is pretty great. Blacks are rich, motion is pretty solid for LCD, everything pops how you want it too if you calibrate it that way. I had a plasma before (a Toshiba) and this set looks almost as good, very close, without the worries of burn-in and for a lower price. I am satisfied.

Will be interesting to see new people posting calibration thoughts in here. I still mess with mine here and there, struggling to find the perfect settings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is anyone else seeing the Active Zones and Auto Brightness bug on these sets? I recently received an E70-C3 to replace my older E700i-B3 which had the issue and my E70-C3 has the same problem with Active Zones. Active Zones won't turn off even though they're off in the menu. My firmware is 1.0.2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone else seeing the Active Zones and Auto Brightness bug on these sets? I recently received an E70-C3 to replace my older E700i-B3 which had the issue and my E70-C3 has the same problem with Active Zones. Active Zones won't turn off even though they're off in the menu. My firmware is 1.0.2.
I received an E70-C3 as a replacement for my E701i-A3. I did notice the same bug you mention, where Active Zones are on when I first turn on the TV when using a setting that has them off. What I usually do is change the picture setting back and forth using the pic button on my remote. I am not sure if this is the same bug that has been mentioned for the 2014 B series TV, since I had the 2103 A series TV previously. I hope they fix the firmware.

BTW, does anyone know if the 2014 B series TVs accept 120hz input from a computer? I use to be able to output 1920x1080 120hz from my computer using nVidia custom resolution to the E701i-A3. To my disappointment, this does not work with the E70-C3. I was wondering if this is an inherent hardware limitation of the panel or motherboard components, or if it was a software limitation due to the firmware restrictions. If the E700i-B3 was not able to accept 120hz, then I am more inclined to think that only the A series panels or boards were able to do this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I received an E70-C3 as a replacement for my E701i-A3. I did notice the same bug you mention, where Active Zones are on when I first turn on the TV when using a setting that has them off. What I usually do is change the picture setting back and forth using the pic button on my remote. I am not sure if this is the same bug that has been mentioned for the 2014 B series TV, since I had the 2103 A series TV previously. I hope they fix the firmware.

BTW, does anyone know if the 2014 B series TVs accept 120hz input from a computer? I use to be able to output 1920x1080 120hz from my computer using nVidia custom resolution to the E701i-A3. To my disappointment, this does not work with the E70-C3. I was wondering if this is an inherent hardware limitation of the panel or motherboard components, or if it was a software limitation due to the firmware restrictions. If the E700i-B3 was not able to accept 120hz, then I am more inclined to think that only the A series panels or boards were able to do this.
That's exactly what I've been doing - toggling picture models and seems like the best bandaid at the moment. My 2014 E700i-B3 had blooming (auto brightness) and Active Zone issues so I guess the 2015 model is a little better since I'm only seeing Active Zones being persistent. I think I'll wait a month or so and see if they release new firmware before calling Vizio again. Most of their custserv are useless with issues like this so I'm not in a rush to deal with that again.

As for these being 120hz, according to the rtings.com review these sets are 120hz and accept that signal but for some reason only output at 60. Kind of makes you wonder if it's really a 120hz set...

rtings.com said:
Our TV was able to accept a 120 hz signal, but only displayed a maximum of 60 fps.
Chroma 4:4:4 is only supported when the TV is receiving a 120 hz signal, which is strange.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Does anyone know the distance between the two stands? I am replacing an older E series with the C3 but do not know if it will fit on my current stand. :confused:
it is going to depend on the size of the TV set. A 40" 2015 Vizio E panel will have like 29" of stand width:

The 60" is going to be almost 47" of stand width.

This is a vital piece of information you usually see left out of the Tech specs.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I am going to buy the 40”, 48”, and 50” 2015 E-series from Costco tomorrow. Along with the 2014 50” P-series and the 55” 2015 M-series when those come in.

It will be interesting to see how the new TVs compare to the 50” p-series. From what I saw in the store the new E-series was outstanding when compared to the 2014 Samsung and LG TVs that were in a similar price range. The highlights and shadows of the e-series was definitely superior to everything but the most expensive Samsung that Costco had on display.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Picked up the E70-C3 from wallyworld this Friday... played with the settings here is what I have so far

Picture mode - calibrated
Backlight - 60
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 50
Color - 50
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 10

Color Temp - Normal
Black detail - off
Active Led Zones - off
Reduce Judder - medium
Clear Action - off
Film Mode - auto
Color Space - auto
Gamma - 2.4

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just got my E 70C3 and all I can say is BOOOOOO!!!! This is replacing an A3, B2 with the C3 and it's the worst looking picture of all 3. It looks washed out even after trying to adjust the color for 3 hours I'm done with this set. With my B2 I didn't have an issue out of the box. This C3 is horrible and it's going back. All colors do not seem vivid, crisp nor sharp. I hooked it up to my PS4 and it's nowhere as nice as the picture on my last B2 set. This is a replacement set from Square Trade and I opted for a 2014 M702i-B3 instead. We'll see how this set does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought the E50-C1. My wife and I cannot get the settings right. We use Netflix/Hulu, PS4, and sports games. We usually use the TV with the living room lights on (so it's not overly bright but definitely not dark).

Any help on the settings?

·
Registered
109 Posts
So it's been a frustrating week getting the settings right... used calibration stuff from avsforums but no matter what I did the image looked washed out.. Not only that, dark backgrounds were full if artifacts.. Now if I turned on active leds it looked great except for the anoying halos that come with that..

In the end I said screw it to the calibration images.. used some dark and light scenes from a few shows and compared them to the same scenes from my Yoga laptop with a IPS display ( that passed all the calibration tests with flying colors )

This is what I ended up with atm

Backlight - 60
Brightness - 40
Contrast - 70
Color - 45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 30

Color Temp - Normal
Black detail - off
Active Led Zones - off
Reduce Judder - medium
Clear Action - off