AVS Forum banner

20941 - 20960 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's the constant state since HDTV arrived. Pick your spot and ride until forced to change, unless you have a budget that fits every year or two. I don't but some do. They are the ones who keep us informed. :)
yep- thats why i think this tv is so special. spend 2k and you should be good for the next 10 years....buy a sammie or sony and that might not be the case. the only other tv that could fill the same function is the lg uh8500 but its more expensive with inferior pq (at least from all the reviews i read). if it wasnt for the damn yellow line the 65" would be a perfect tv!

·
Registered
307 Posts
yep- thats why i think this tv is so special. spend 2k and you should be good for the next 10 years....buy a sammie or sony and that might not be the case. the only other tv that could fill the same function is the lg uh8500 but its more expensive with inferior pq (at least from all the reviews i read). if it wasnt for the damn yellow line the 65" would be a perfect tv!
I had to bite the bug lol. Otherwise, I'd probably wait a few more years to buy into 4k; unless one of our tv's smoked out of course. Three days, my XVT3d554SV will be five years old. It's still rocking. I'll most likely hold onto this P65 until I NEED a new tv, or we get 4k 3d lol.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Have you read page one post one? You can use and Idevice or android device that can run the Vizio app and use that instead of as a backup to the tablet.

Sent from nowhere
That was not what i was asking, can you cast from the netflix app itself on ios for example to the tv in 4k? Not from the vizio app. The netflix app integrates with my home automation app i use, so thats why I am asking.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That was not what i was asking, can you cast from the netflix app itself on ios for example to the tv in 4k? Not from the vizio app. The netflix app integrates with my home automation app i use, so thats why I am asking.
So you didn't read. Yes you can. Some apps are cast ready. Netflix, vudu, youtube etc. There is a tv wifi logo at the top of the app

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
So you didn't read. Yes you can. Some apps are cast ready. Netflix, vudu, youtube etc. There is a tv wifi logo at the top of the app

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Wow.I did my research and it sounded like you can but thats why i asked for "clarification" also I read about this being vizio special version of googlecast so i was not sure if their was any restrictions casting from 4k outside the vizio app itself.

Im sorry but with this new technology and method of non built in apps, i want to be 100% clear from an owner that it can be done before i shell out money.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wow.I did my research and it sounded like you can but thats why i asked for "clarification" also I read about this being vizio special version of googlecast so i was not sure if their was any restrictions casting from 4k outside the vizio app itself.

Im sorry but with this new technology and method of non built in apps, i want to be 100% clear from an owner that it can be done before i shell out money.
Yes, any app that works with googlecast now will work with the Vizio display but the Vizio Smartcast app must be used to setup Bluetooth and wifi and to make changes to the settings on the display. I almost never use the Vizio app to cast.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The P65 C1 is an amazing display but I have to say, the vertical line down the middle of the screen is very distracting. My eyes are drawn to it on any bright scenes. This has been called the "yellow band" on AVS. My P65 has it and I could almost forgive it except the yellow part isn't what's bugging me as much as the vertical "split" that seems to be on my unit. The yellow can only be seen on bright white or test scenes but the line (I don't know how else to describe it) is there on every source.

Are displays this large comprised of two panels merged into one in the housing? That's what it seems like. The line is dead center down the middle of the display. Is the yellow band glue? The P65 is not the first display I've seen this mentioned. Is there an expert on AVS that can tell us exactly what is causing this? I love my P65 but "The Yellow Line" is causing me to second guess my purchase.

I have read posts on this thread from owners claiming they got a lucky panel and have none of these issues but I am willing to bet they just haven't noticed them yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does Vizio have any comment on this (what sounds like) massive issue of yellow banding?

Will they stand behind their product and fix it? Or is it something you just have to swallow with this P-Series

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Your AVR probably cannot handle 4k 24hz signal. This solution should be permanent. :)

I doubt that it's the AVR because it's passing 4k 24hz fine with my Samsung UHD player. I really think that it was an issue with the Roku since the Roku 4 has many bugs.

·
Coyote Waits
27,239 Posts
The P65 C1 is an amazing display but I have to say, the horizontal line down the middle of the screen is very distracting. My eyes are drawn to it on any bright scenes. This has been called the "yellow band" on AVS. My P65 has it and I could almost forgive it except the yellow part isn't what's bugging me as much as the horizontal "split" that seems to be on my unit. The yellow can only be seen on bright white or test scenes but the line (I don't know how else to describe it) is there on every source.

Are displays this large comprised of two panels merged into one in the housing? That's what it seems like. The line is dead center down the middle of the display. Is the yellow band glue? The P65 is not the first display I've seen this mentioned. Is there an expert on AVS that can tell us exactly what is causing this? I love my P65 but "The Yellow Line" is causing me to second guess my purchase.

I have read posts on this thread from owners claiming they got a lucky panel and have none of these issues but I am willing to bet they just haven't noticed them yet.
No one has ever complained about a horizontal line splitting the screen from left to right. There have been some complaints about a vertical line from top to bottom in the center of the screen. If you see banding when watching normal entertainment then contact Vizio for a refund or an exchange. I don't know that replacing a board would correct what you're seeing.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Regarding the earlier posts about dynamic meta data for HDR 10. The upcoming update won't have that, but there should be no reason that a future update won't have it. By all accounts I've read the additional expansions to HDR being ratified now should be firmware updatables to current supporting displays. Just hope they keep it that way in final specs. Same for the broadcast HDR approach being discussed.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
No, it's a single panel. But each panel is divided into smaller sections (2 or 4) and are driven by the TCON board. The P series seems to have 2 sections, as per the P50 pic of its internals. (small blue pcb at the bottom)
So if there's something wrong with said board\processor, you can have 2 different tones of color on each half of the screen. This can have the effect of the screen being split into two.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I notice that some people are happy with a set till they start to run test patterns to look for issues, that's when the OCD start to kick in.

avoid the test patterns and enjoy the set with normal content.
yes - this is good advice. however, both the 55 (letterbox flashlighting) and 65 (yellow line) have "class problems" that are readily apparent and distracting on normal content and dont require test patterns to initially notice.

·
Registered
473 Posts
No, it's a single panel. But each panel is divided into smaller sections (2 or 4) and are driven by the TCON board. The P series seems to have 2 sections, as per the P50 pic of its internals. (small blue pcb at the bottom)
So if there's something wrong with said board\processor, you can have 2 different tones of color on each half of the screen. This can have the effect of the screen being split into two.

Can you identify where the wifi adapter is in your picture? Great shot by the way. I love taking things apart!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@bobkat007
The Wifi+BT module is most likely the one on the top-left, by the power supply board. (the tiny green board) You can't really make out what chipset it's using.
It's not my picture, it was posted in this thread before by someone else. I just thought it could be useful in the future, so I saved it for future reference.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #20,958
Can somebody out there using an iPhone take a look at the Netflix app (updated 7/14) and see if you still have the Casting function please? It's missing on mine but I'm running the public beta of iOS 10 and it doesn't show up. The previous version was fine.

I don't recommend installing the public beta of iOS10 btw. It's pretty buggy for a public beta. It's a nice upgrade though and should be great when it's in final.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Has anyone checked out Jupiter Ascending UHD on Vudu?

I know the movie is universally panned but the visuals were stunning and I think it would have a lot of DV potential. I wouldn't hold my breath for a physical copy ever making it to retail so I'm considering this one.
I purchased this one a while back. It was on sale so I bought it just to see how 4K looked being streamed. I'm still sitting on the side lines waiting for Amazon or Costco to get the new P's in stock. So I can't speak for is DV quality but the 4K looks good on my 2014P 70" and the movie is better than what the critics rated it. If you're into Si Fi than get it.

Reactions: toonj64

·
Registered
334 Posts
Can somebody out there using an iPhone take a look at the Netflix app (updated 7/14) and see if you still have the Casting function please? It's missing on mine but I'm running the public beta of iOS 10 and it doesn't show up. The previous version was fine.

I don't recommend installing the public beta of iOS10 btw. It's pretty buggy for a public beta. It's a nice upgrade though and should be great when it's in final.

Just checked, and it's still there for me (I'm not on the IOS 10 beta).

20941 - 20960 of 64785 Posts