AVS Forum banner

24261 - 24280 of 64874 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am having a problem streaming Netflix that is becoming very annoying, and was wondering if anyone else can duplicate. While streaming 'House of Cards' to my P50, if I hit the 30 second rewind, one of two things occur. Most of the time the screen just freezes, but a couple times, screen just went black. All android devices also loose their connection. Only unplugging set for a moment and plugging back in gets me back in control.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Actually it had, but whatever floats your boat.

Number 3 on is what I was not clear on. I understand your frustration. It wasn't a misreading, I just didn't know that 3 on had happened after (you had just said someone PMd you saying Matt responded to them with more information) you PMd Matt on Friday. I hope either he or someone from tech support do reach out to you tomorrow.

Sent from nowhere
Click here for Matts post to you. 07-30-2016, 04:55 PM PST

I noticed that Matt asked you for your contact information not your serial number as you state. Your PM with an enclosed serial number could have very easily been handled by someone else searching for PMs requesting to move ahead in the update queue.

Everyone, including Matt, understands what you are unhappy about. Why not send a new PM with a title indicating that the PM contains contact information for Matt's attention? Given what's been going on, I would not include a serial number. ;)

Good luck. :)

Thanks gentlemen. I think I'll wait a couple more days to see what happens. If I don't get a response I'll simply ask for a refund. I've expended way too much emotional energy on this piece of electronics.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,265
Was watching Watchmen on Vudu with DV last night. There is a lot of darkness in that movie. I adjusted the Gamma to 1.8 but it only helped a little. Is that the only setting I can play with to brighten up the picture? Also the tablet was slow to make Picture updates, I assume from the DV processing going on.
I'm not sure what model P you have, but you might go to the calibration thread and try some of the Gain, offset, and 11pt settings posted most recently. The shadow end of the scale needs a boost in the DV calibration settings.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just to clarify, it's all working like I said it does and you can watch it happen in real time by leaving the picture controls open & watch the changes happen.

regular TV viewing, HDMI 1, CAL mode, backlight 65.

switch to UHD blu ray, HDMI 1, kicks into HDR mode, CAL mode, backlight 85.

switch to CAST, kicks into DV mode, CAL mode, backlight 100 (for testing purposes only, I use 50)

If i switch between any of these sources, they all retain their settings.

For DV you can set it to CAL-D if you want, make changes & it will retain them AND return to CAL for everything else.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
ok, so I can adjust the backlight in HDR10 without jacking up DV?

The easiest way to do it is just use a different picture mode. Calibrated for hdr10 and cal dark for dv. The only difference is gamma. Then you can adjust what you want. The color mode is the only thing they will share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Do you know of any material that causes this all the time that i could test my set with? I use to just use the flashing colors video on YouTube but it doesn't happen with that anymore. I want to check if my tv is actually fixed or if i will have the same issues as you

Unfortunately it's during every day usage for me. It always comes up in 1080P/120 gaming and in any other content with fast moving images. I don't even look for it. I'm just used to warming up the TV for 10 minutes before I start any movie.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm not sure what model P you have, but you might go to the calibration thread and try some of the Gain, offset, and 11pt settings posted most recently. The shadow end of the scale needs a boost in the DV calibration settings.
I've got the P55. I will usually use the general settings from someone's calibration but I am wary of going into a the advanced stuff due to panel variation and I don't have a great eye for what "looks right". I am good with other DV movies, it seems this one is intentionally dark.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,270
I've got the P55. I will usually use the general settings from someone's calibration but I am wary of going into a the advanced stuff due to panel variation and I don't have a great eye for what "looks right". I am good with other DV movies, it seems this one is intentionally dark.
It's graded dark, for a theater setting (maybe a bit more so than some). Any ambient light will be a challenge for that title.

While playing DV content, you can go to the picture mode you're using and then go to the calibration settings and modify them. Don't worry about it because you can always zero them back out. I don't have a P50, but the P65 and P75 benefit greatly from calibration at the shadow end (0-40%) IMO. This would open your shadows up significantly at standard gamma of 2.1-2.2 plus give you a lot of latitude for high ambient if you need it (when you set to 2.0 or 1.8 it will be significant).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just to clarify, it's all working like I said it does and you can watch it happen in real time by leaving the picture controls open & watch the changes happen.

switch to CAST, kicks into DV mode, CAL mode, backlight 100 (for testing purposes only, I use 50)

For DV you can set it to CAL-D if you want, make changes & it will retain them AND return to CAL for everything else.
Just to clarify: are you sending regular TV and UHD player signal through an AVR via a single cable to HDMI-1? My regular TV (TiVo Bolt) goes to HDMI-1 and my UHD player goes to HDMI-3 (my AVR is NOT 4K-capable).

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,272

I think you basically have this correct. Just for clarification...

HDR (either DV or HDR10) share the underlying calibration tables for the selected color temperature (cool, computer, normal). So, when viewing a 4k Bluray or watching something in DV while casting, if you have the same color temperature selected in the Picture mode, it will use the "hidden" HDR calibration associated with that color temp. The HDR flags for DV and HDR10 trigger the use of those hidden tables.

Picture modes are unique to every input (but the color temps are shared across all inputs). In addition, HDR color temps are discreet from SDR color temp.. but there are only 3 for SDR and 3 for HDR. If you modify or calibrate "normal" for SDR, that table is used for "normal", regardless of the input. Same for HDR.

Finally, colorspace does not change when you change Picture modes or inputs. If you have it set to YCbCr on input 1 (whatever PM) and switch to HDMI5 for gaming and want RGB... you have to change it manually). I haven't tested this with the new firmware, but it's the way it's always been.

This is the "deep dive" on picture modes, color temps and colorspace.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It's graded dark, for a theater setting (maybe a bit more so than some). Any ambient light will be a challenge for that title.

While playing DV content, you can go to the picture mode you're using and then go to the calibration settings and modify them. Don't worry about it because you can always zero them back out. I don't have a P50, but the P65 and P75 benefit greatly from calibration at the shadow end (0-40%) IMO. This would open your shadows up significantly at standard gamma of 2.1-2.2 plus give you a lot of latitude for high ambient if you need it (when you set to 2.0 or 1.8 it will be significant).
Thanks there is one post of settings for the P55. Should those be universal for SDR and HDR? One more question I promise, if I adjust the advanced settings in SDR and then start playing a movie and it switches to DV, will those advanced settings need to be set up again?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #24,274
Thanks there is one post of settings for the P55. Should those be universal for SDR and HDR? One more question I promise, if I adjust the advanced settings in SDR and then start playing a movie and it switches to DV, will those advanced settings need to be set up again?
Yes, the calibration settings are unique to the color temperatures for SDR and HDR. DV calibration tables need to be edited WHILE DV content is playing. It's the only way to access the "hidden" calibration for "normal" in HDR mode.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The easiest way to do it is just use a different picture mode. Calibrated for hdr10 and cal dark for dv. The only difference is gamma. Then you can adjust what you want. The color mode is the only thing they will share

By doing this, will I need to use another picture mode for SDR viewing? I typically use Calibrated for SDR stuff and Cal Dark for DV.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Do you know of any material that causes this all the time that i could test my set with? I use to just use the flashing colors video on YouTube but it doesn't happen with that anymore. I want to check if my tv is actually fixed or if i will have the same issues as you

Where I've seen it (twice now) is with the Batman V Superman UHD Disc. A good spot is at the 2:24-2:25 mark when Doomsday is surrounded by explosions/lightning.
I'll try the Vudu DV version today and see if it produces the same result.

EDIT: same thing on the Vudu DV stream.

EDIT 2: Also noticed right away on the Star Trek: Into Darkness UHD Disc (Which otherwise, as Thomas said, looks fantastic).

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Where I've seen it (twice now) is with the Batman V Superman UHD Disc. A good spot is at the 2:24-2:25 mark when Doomsday is surrounded by explosions/lightning.

I'll try the Vudu DV version today and see if it produces the same result.

Thanks for the info, i don't have the uhd disc but i do have it on vudu so if you see it on there i will check my set the same spot.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the info, i don't have the uhd disc but i do have it on vudu so if you see it on there i will check my set the same spot.

I just verified that I'm seeing the same thing on the Vudu DV version.
Remember, that time stamp I gave is for the Ultimate edition, not the theatrical though.

24261 - 24280 of 64874 Posts