AVS Forum banner

29621 - 29640 of 65358 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also, when starting a 4K HDR film in a Samsung k8500 player is the tv supposed to display something like is does when Dolby Vision is detected? My tablet says yes next to HDR but nothing else changes on the tablet or is displayed on the tv. I have enabled subsampling and I've tried several cords and movies but still end up with the same result.
The Samsung UHD player has an indicator at the top of the screen (next to the guide bar that indicates how much of the movie is left) that flashes "HDR" when it's playing or streaming HDR content. It should be clearly visible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I just got a weird thing happening. There's a line that shows up down the middle of the screen when casting now. Both sides are of different brightness.

Nvm. That was odd. I turned off the tv and back on, now it's fine.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
great to hear about the tweets. but tweets are just tweets. tweets about HDR10 coming soon ended up taking months before we actually got the firmware.
They literally stated it was gonna take 3-4mos before the initial HDR firmware would come down on the new P series. If they can fix it through a patch, wouldn't you rather wait and see? How much HDR gaming will there be in the immediate future before the patch comes out anyway? Maybe in a short while it'll become a moot point.

Reactions: Bahn Yuki

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
They literally stated it was gonna take 3-4mos before the initial HDR firmware would come down on the new P series. If they can fix it through a patch, wouldn't you rather wait and see? How much HDR gaming will there be in the immediate future before the patch comes out anyway? Maybe in a short while it'll become a moot point.

Do u want to buy my tv? I kind of know u. I would sell it to u.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
So I just got a weird thing happening. There's a line that shows up down the middle of the screen when casting now. Both sides are of different brightness.

Nvm. That was odd. I turned off the tv and back on, now it's fine.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mine started doing the same thing this morning... Never seen it before got my unit on April 1. I changed the picture mode and it went away...

Clear action is acting a little weird for me this evening though, flickering a bit like crazy sometimes. Weird.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just want honest opinions

I fully understand not everyone cares about HDR gaming, but I love to game and am more than curious. When I purchased this TV I didn't really know the difference between the two HDR standards and that is my fault. I am an avid researcher when it comes to big purchases but when I saw Vizio+HDR+Tablet I pulled the trigger so fast I could have sworn I was from the Wild West. I actually got it to replace an M-Series that kept cycling inputs for no reason. Vizio support was like, "it's a known issue, we can get a replacement." I went to Best Buy and the swapped it for the P65-C1 when it came in, that was in May i believe.

Sorry to get off subject. The opinion that I'm in search of:

1.Do you think Vizio will get a firmware update allowing HDR gaming lag to be cut down (I don't think this can happen on HDMI 5

2.Do CNET's updated reviews about HDR make you second guess your purchase?

I love the set but I will be getting a PS4 Pro and I'm unsure what to do.BTW I am thankful that we did atleast get the HDR10 update.

...New to the forum...Hello!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I fully understand not everyone cares about HDR gaming, but I love to game and am more than curious. When I purchased this TV I didn't really know the difference between the two HDR standards and that is my fault. I am an avid researcher when it comes to big purchases but when I saw Vizio+HDR+Tablet I pulled the trigger so fast I could have sworn I was from the Wild West. I actually got it to replace an M-Series that kept cycling inputs for no reason. Vizio support was like, "it's a known issue, we can get a replacement." I went to Best Buy and the swapped it for the P65-C1 when it came in, that was in May i believe.

Sorry to get off subject. The opinion that I'm in search of:

1.Do you think Vizio will get a firmware update allowing HDR gaming lag to be cut down (I don't think this can happen on HDMI 5

I love the set but I will be getting a PS4 Pro and I'm unsure what to do.BTW I am thankful that we did atleast get the HDR10 update.

1. If you're talking about getting lag times down on inputs 1-4 through firmware, I don't think they really can get lag times down enough to satisfy hard core gamers; I'm just a casual gamer, so I don't really care about lag times, but I understand it's an issue with many gamers...

2. I kinda disagree with the "revised" HDR ratings? True, I haven't measured the image with fancy gadgetry, just my naked eye, but I've seen HDR running in both streaming and physical media in LG tv's (both OLED and non-OLED), Sony and Samsung...and...I'm not convinced that HDR running on this Vizio is in any way significantly "inferior" to those other brands. The only one where I think there's a significant difference to my naked eyes is the OLED, but it's not a difference to me that's worth paying thousands of dollars more. When I can finally find an OLED TV 65+ inches for under 2,000 dollars, I'll switch to OLED; otherwise I'm sticking with the P series.

·
Registered
652 Posts

1. I guess it's possible, but don't expect miracles. I don't think anyone here is qualified to even speculate on this. That being said, I could get by just fine with the posted numbers but others here feel they cannot.

2. Absolutely not. We already knew it wasn't as bright as some others but there's a reason it's rtings #2 HDR TV recommendation behind an OLED that costs over 2x as much. Think about it, knowing all the numbers and graphs at the end of the day they consider it the best LCD HDR TV set this year. Would you rather have way higher nits (that only peak for a very short amount of time before dropping back down) and crazy blooming or consistent, but lower (which is still damn bright) nits and no noticeable blooming with well over 100 dimming zones?

Yes, it's unfortunate that the HDR format currently used didn't line up with what the Xbox One uses but we know 100% that's it's not a hardware problem and is being actively worked on (no ETA ATM), along with an HDR update to be released in a couple weeks.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
1. I guess it's possible, but don't expect miracles. I don't think anyone here is qualified to even speculate on this. That being said, I could get by just fine with the posted numbers but others here feel they cannot.

2. Absolutely not. We already knew it wasn't as bright as some others but there's a reason it's rtings #2 HDR TV recommendation behind an OLED that costs over 2x as much. Think about it, knowing all the numbers and graphs at the end of the day they consider it the best LCD HDR TV set this year. Would you rather have way higher nits (that only peak for a very short amount of time before dropping back down) and crazy blooming or consistent, but lower (which is still damn bright) nits and no noticeable blooming with well over 100 dimming zones?

Yes, it's unfortunate that the HDR format currently used didn't line up with what the Xbox One uses but we know 100% that's it's not a hardware problem and is being actively worked on (no ETA ATM), along with an HDR update to be released in a couple weeks.

Just my 2 cents.
I thought the Samsung KS8000 was behind the OLED, then the P-Series. Post the link please.

65JS8500, P50-C1, K8500, SB3851 Soundbar, Nvidia Shield, PS4

·
Registered
23 Posts

Just my 2 cents.
I think you pretty much summed up my exact thoughts and feelings toward this TV and the worry in this thread lately.

·
Registered
2020 TCL 55R635 TV (OLED-Like) - Brightly-lit, Pinpoint, Tiny Stars!), Vizio Sound Bar
4,004 Posts
Not a lot of chatter about the Vizio P series
just crashing, requiring the plug to be pulled to reset.

Mine still requires this about once a week...very irritating
since the [Display] is plugged in behind the panel.

Just a wild guess... are there any other devices (wireless or not) or AC wiring (in a wall) near the Display that might be the cause of the 'crashing'?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

I tell you what guys, look for me on Sunday, I'm going to do jumping jacks on the sideline during the national anthem in peaceful protest of the high HDR gaming lag and the injustice that we've all gone through as a result. Just promise me that you'll buy my jersey in a sign of solidarity!

·
Registered
77 Posts

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I'm just reading through all these threads and it really has me rethinking my set. Not for all the bad though. I mean FALD is a much better tech than edge-lit. I haven't seen better blacks than the P series offers except for OLED. Another big thing that doesn't seem to get touched much is the response time. The P series is ~10 ms and the KS8000 sits at ~18 ms. Ghosting is a big deal to me and I don't know if the KS8000 could satisfy me. I want the best and when I discover some possibly negative things about my set it makes me wonder. I have a 40ku6300 Samsung mounted next to my P65 so I can watch football on a couple broadcasts at a time. although I know it's not the 8000, I can absolutely see the ghosting. Especially when I have the two with the same content on.

Even if i skipped HDMI 1-4 and only gamed on Input 5, I think I would be satisfied with the Pro.Me being me though, I know I'll have the "what does HDR look like" in the back of my head".

Regardless of the the state of the Firmware now, I will always support vizio and have atleast a couple in my house. My 3 lb pomeranian is named "Vizio" dammit lol

·
Registered
805 Posts
OK, sorry to buck the trend, but I am going to talk about something other than HDR10 and gaming lag.

I was using the Netflix app from the Vizio tablet, and found that if I paused it, and then resumed, the picture would be fuzzy and slowly get clearer again over the space of about 30 seconds, this is really annoying.

So, now I am watching Netflix via my Apple TV, which does not have this issue at all. I was about to upgrade to a 4K plan, but believe you can't watch 4K via Apple TV, is that true I wonder?

Does anyone else have this issue? perhaps there is a work-a-round?
I have the same issue while casting Netflix...and only Netflix via casting...Hulu, Vudu, etc are fine via casting and pausing. Roku 2 and the Samsung UHD Blu ray player don't give me such fits with Netflix. I even have the Samsung connected wirelessly and zero problems...ramps up to 4k almost instantly...and no pausing gargles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
just curious... but is anyone selling the p series now other than best buy? i know there's like 1 or 2 models at sam's club and i think maybe one at dell from what i remember? just wondering if they'll be stocked anywhere else soon (costco or amazon).

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
One thing people keep commenting on is the "lack" of HDR gaming. Forza Horizon 3 is out today. It's a massive game that many people will put a significant number of hours into. It's also heavily multiplayer, so many would want to play it right now when it's brand new and the population will be at an active peak.

That 1 game alone is enough reason to justifiably want this fix immediately. Plus, within roughly a month, PS4 Pro will be here with day 1 HDR patches for big games.

Plus Gears 4 arrives. Gears 4 is another game with big multiplayer components that people will want to engage with right away.

The new Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Titanfall are also all due very soon and confirmed for HDR.

A small quantity is not the measuring stick when you have such high quality, high population multiplayer games hitting that a big population will put many hours into.

Those Xbox and PS HDR fixes need to be really high up right now in that bug fix list.

29621 - 29640 of 65358 Posts