AVS Forum banner

3481 - 3500 of 64874 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
I got the tearing last night while watching a video on my PC. Turned the tv off and back on and it was fine. First time I had seen it. I hope it doesn't happen often. Almost looked like two different panels next to each other and calibrated different.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I still can't turn my P65 on via the tablet or smart cast on my iPhone. I have to use the "backup" remote or press the physical button on the back of the set. Once it's on I can do the rest of the controlling via the tablet just fine (including turning the set off).

Anybody else have this issue? Seems like I would hear more about it if so, considering it's literally step 1!
You can try to resynch bluetooth. This worked for me.

The easiest way to resynch is...

1. Turn Display off, go to hamburger menu in app on tablet on upper left
2. Select Device Settings and delete the Display from the list
3. Go back to home screen of app
4. Turn on Display and select it from the drop down menu on home screen of app
5. You will be automatically prompted to pair and say yes (hold tablet close to VIZIO logo of Display)

This forces a simple Bluetooth repair...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is the P series able to pass thru 5.1 surround to a receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure what formats optical passes, but ARC can pass DD+ and Atmos
optical wont pass the new signals as native bitstream of dts hd master audio, dolby truehd or 7.2+ channels. It will only pass PCM 2.0, 5.1 DTS and Dolby digital

As @Mattopotamus stated a compatible HDMI on the ARC ports will give pass-thru all the raw bits.

·
Registered
222 Posts
optical wont pass the new signals as native bitstream of dts hd master audio, dolby truehd or 7.2+ channels. It will only pass PCM 5.1 DTS and Dolby digital

As @Mattopotamus stated a compatible HDMI on the ARC ports will give pass-thru all the raw bits.

I also replied above.

To my knowledge and research optical can only do PCM 2.0, not 5.1 as the bandwidth of a full 5.1 track is too much.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I also replied above.

To my knowledge and research optical can only do PCM 2.0, not 5.1 as the bandwidth of a full 5.1 track is too much.
Oh sorry i mean DTS 5.1 will fix my post. Yes correct PCM only gives 2.0 compress channels over optical. PCM raw on HDMI will give you 5.1.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I still can't turn my P65 on via the tablet or smart cast on my iPhone. I have to use the "backup" remote or press the physical button on the back of the set. Once it's on I can do the rest of the controlling via the tablet just fine (including turning the set off).

Anybody else have this issue? Seems like I would hear more about it if so, considering it's literally step 1!
You can try to resynch bluetooth. This worked for me.

The easiest way to resynch is...

1. Turn Display off, go to hamburger menu in app on tablet on upper left
2. Select Device Settings and delete the Display from the list
3. Go back to home screen of app
4. Turn on Display and select it from the drop down menu on home screen of app
5. You will be automatically prompted to pair and say yes (hold tablet close to VIZIO logo of Display)

This forces a simple Bluetooth repair...
That also worked for me. I had the same issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've seen that many folks have the same opinion about BB and they downplay Vizio and push folks to buy Sony or Samsung...From what I understand the Sony and Samsung are more expensive...Do the BB salesmen work off of a commission? If so that might explain why BB pushes Sony and Samsung vs the less expensive Vizio.

Ursa
I don't know how it is in the US but I know how BB Canada works in the GTA anyway. First off manufacturers pay for the floor space and the right to have reps come in set things up and train the blue shirts to sell there product. As we all know Vizio has never actually been big in advertising or marketing there products and well up to last year anyway they've always been put on the back burner for that reason.

My local BB in Toronto Canada the set up as of 2 years now has the sets set fair and perfect across brands with the demo sets running sources set up by the manufactures exhibiting eye candy picture for ALL the sets. They have all the LG' set up side by side across one side, all the Samsungs across the wall and all the Vizio parallel to the LG and the Sonys in the middle. I see Samsung & Sonny reps in the store every time I step in and have yet to see the Vizio or LG rep.

BB should not be getting flank for running a business if in the US it is run the same way as it is in the great north. Sony Samsung pay a premium to have there products treated the way they do. Seems to me it is Vizio who needs to step up and pay up if they want the same treatment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm confused. What does the "pop" come from? Increased saturation? Something else?
me too. I'll grant that in store demos are not worth much, but assuming everyone is set up on torch/vivid mode gives some baseline to compare against. I doubt the sales guy was messing up the vizio on purpose, because he didn't even know about the tablet remote. He kept trying to use his other IR universal remote. Does anyone know what the default mode is on the vizio? It was certainly less bright than the JU7100 right next to it.

In store, Samsung and sony JS and 940c etc had a lot of "pop", along with LG OLED. Sharp and vizio not as much.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
The behavior of the Picture Mode settings when viewing Dolby Vision content is confusing me a bit. For example, while watching The Lego Movie (casting from Vudu), I can change the Backlight setting. When I do this, the Picture mode (in this case, Calibrated) changes from Calibrated to Calibrated*. With non-DV content, if I Reset Picture Mode, all of the various picture mode sliders move back to their default settings. This doesn't happen when in DV mode. In other words, if I change the backlight setting from 50 to, say, 80, my Picture Mode (Calibrated) changes to Calibrated*. If I then Reset Picture Mode, Calibrated* reverts back to Calibrated, but the backlight setting doesn't go back to 50 -- it just stays at 80. It's as if there aren't any saved picture modes when viewing DV material.

What's going on here? And, maybe more importantly, what's the default Backlight setting for the Calibrated picture setting when watching DV material?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't know how it is in the US but I know how BB Canada works in the GTA anyway. First off manufacturers pay for the floor space and the right to have reps come in set things up and train the blue shirts to sell there product. As we all know Vizio has never actually been big in advertising or marketing there products and well up to last year anyway they've always been put on the back burner for that reason.

My local BB in Toronto Canada the set up as of 2 years now has the sets set fair and perfect across brands with the demo sets running sources set up by the manufactures exhibiting eye candy picture for ALL the sets. They have all the LG' set up side by side across one side, all the Samsungs across the wall and all the Vizio parallel to the LG and the Sonys in the middle. I see Samsung & Sonny reps in the store every time I step in and have yet to see the Vizio or LG rep.

BB should not be getting flank for running a business if in the US it is run the same way as it is in the great north. Sony Samsung pay a premium to have there products treated the way they do. Seems to me it is Vizio who needs to step up and pay up if they want the same treatment.
O.K. from what you say it sounds like Sony and Samsung pay BB to push their products so their opinions mean little about the actual quality of each brand, just buy a Sony or Samsung because they paid us to treat their products that way. That would explain why they steer people away from the Vizios.

Ursa

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
So I just did a factory reset and got some interesting results.

Prior to the factory reset, if I reset picture modes to defaults, Dolby vision would kick in and send the backlight up to 100 on calibrated.

Now I performed the factory reset, messed with no settings, and once dolby vision kicks in calibrated moves to 50 backlight.

So strange... if you've messed with settings, I would probably recommend doing a factory reset and not touching cast settings.
This sort-of answers the question I had before. The only setting I messed with while watching Dolby Vision content in Calibrated mode was Backlight. It looks like the factory default DV backlight setting while in Calibrated mode (and Calibrated Dark mode too, apparently) is 50, so I moved my slider there and should be good to go.

·
Registered
276 Posts
OK, almost have this thing working minus one major issue is that I don't get any sound from half the apps. Youtube works fine. Netflix I get no sound. I am getting on the short end of my patience at this point. Don't understand why one app has sound and the other one doesn't.

·
Registered
74 Posts

O.K. from what you say it sounds like Sony and Samsung pay BB to push their products so their opinions mean little about the actual quality of each brand, just buy a Sony or Samsung because they paid us to treat their products that way. That would explain why they steer people away from the Vizios.

Ursa
You got it ;) At this day in age of the internet however most costumers do there homework before they enter the store and are actually more knowledgeable of the specific product they want to buy compared to what is being pushed which is why Vizio has been reluctant I guess in playing that game and pay the premium for treatment.

Vizio rise in the market has come from word of mouth past on via internet blogs and sites like CNET that they have bang for your buck quality that rivals what you get from the big boys. The big hurtle is always getting the product into big box stores. At the end of the day quality sells its self which is why Vizio has been kicking butt for a while now and the product stays on the shelves in spite of everything else in paying that premium treatment. There sets don't last as long in stock like the others for good reason. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts

I had the issue, removed the TC, re-paired it, and now all is well, both with Smartcast on the included tablet and my smartphone.

If it was not paired 'fully', it did not generate a software update on the DISPLAY, which is the problem.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Anybody know if I can buy the Costco squaretrade warranty if I bought from Vizio.com?
I bought mine from BB and then got the Costco SquareTrade warranty the same day. Just waiting to get my TV to fully register it for the warranty.

·
Registered
276 Posts
OK, almost have this thing working minus one major issue is that I don't get any sound from half the apps. Youtube works fine. Netflix I get no sound. I am getting on the short end of my patience at this point. Don't understand why one app has sound and the other one doesn't.
OK, got it somewhat figured out. I can get stereo sound but no surround sound. If it is a surround sound feed I don't get any sound at all.

3481 - 3500 of 64874 Posts