AVS Forum banner

3581 - 3600 of 64783 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I hard-wired my P65 tonight and disconnected from my Wifi. Cat5e from Netgear gigabit switch. I have Xfinity blast, 150 down. The Vizio only reports 14Mb during the network test. Seems the Vizio port is only 10/100. Does it really cost that much to put in a 10/100/1000 port, if even just for future proofing? Casting works well. No noticeable improvements over wifi, but I feel better with it being hard-wired. Youtube is still hit or miss. Sometimes 4k videos will only play back at 1080p. I have to go back to the search and reload/recast the video to get 4k. In addition, sometimes videos just play for a few seconds and crap out. All other apps like Netflix, Pluto TV work fine. Must just be a problem with Youtube occasionally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
P75-c1

Can someone that owns this set comment on normal TV viewing? We are scheduled to get the set tomorrow but I am on the fence on cancelling my order. We watch 70% cable (xfinity x1) and 20% streaming (roku 4 Netflix) and 10% blu ray disc. I picked up the older P series in 2014 and was not happy with the normal TV viewing and returned it. Hopefully this one is much, much better.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I watched it on a P75 tonite and it was outstanding. You may have really bad cable.
I don't understand. The guy said that he has a Samsung 55JS8500 right next to a 55 P Series. On the Samsung, the PQ looks good, but on the Vizio the PQ looks like crap. How can you say that he has bad cable? Seems to me that the only difference is the displays and not the signal/feed.

I also have a Samsung 65JS8500 and OTA channels look great. Even 480i is very watchable. I don't have a cable provider, have friends with Direct TV and TWC. They also own JS8500s and all channels I've seen look good.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a P Series, but several mentions of poor viewing experiences has me concerned. I guess the only way to really tell is to grab one for myself and do some side by side comparisons.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Gentlemen, we really have to stop blaming Vizio for bad cable signals. That's like blaming a pair of Sennheiser HD800's because you're listening to Sirius XM. If you like edge enhancement, block noise reduction, mosquito reduction, etc... great. All you are doing is attempting to mask a bad quality broadcast which by the way is nearly every signal from every carrier. You simply should not be blaming Vizio every time you see dithering, macro blocking, or any other noise that's always present in low quality video.
I'll play devil's advocate for second... I have a Samsung JS8500. I've never complained about my PQ from OTA channels wether it's 480, 720, or 1080. Along with this thread, I also follow numerous Samsung and Sony threads. I don't recall any of those owners complaining about PQ from their cable providers or OTA. Now I have heard ppl with OLEDs complain about PQ though to be fair. So to say that all the blame is on the signal and not the TV processing is hard to believe.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,586
I I guess the only way to really tell is to grab one for myself and do some side by side comparisons.

Yes, that's the only way to tell.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
The issue with F&F can't be a buggy algorithm if not everyone is seeing it. We are all using the same algorithm. The issue has to be hardware related because of the way it manifests and goes away after warming up. I wish it weren't true.
I agree and understand; "algorithm" was a poor choice of words. I guess what I'm saying is that the hardware feature that causes the cells to be visible off-angle (i.e. the cell borders) is apparently different from the hardware problem that's causing the tearing. In other words, just because you can see vertical lines on the screen when you look at the display from a sharp angle doesn't necessarily mean you'll see the tearing issue manifest itself.

I agree; it definitely sucks. At least it goes away after you warm the set up and power cycle it; that's enough to keep you from losing your mind until your replacement set arrives. However, the fact that a warm-up period seems to resolve the issue certainly seems to point to a hardware problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The new P series got me really interested after buying a m65-c1 for the living room, im now in the market for a movie watching set in the basement. Only problem is that im in Canada (Montreal) and its not out yet, do you have any idea when it will be available up here ?
And from your experience, is the HDR worth the $ vs the M65 ?

Thank you very much and great forum btw, im not posting too much because im speaking la langue de Molière !

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Is everyone who is having problems with cable using Verizon Fios? I do not have cable, but apps like watchESPN look great. I cannot imagine that looking any better/worse than cable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My "time warner cable" picture setting vs calibrated setting for the same picture. So much more pop now and mad the picture look a lot sharper overall, especially when watching sports.These pictures may not due it justice, as it may look more like "vivid" in the photo. But trust me, they improved everything. Grass is now green and not grey/green. And ice is now white .

Please don't mind the hue lightstrips in the background, they lost their adhesiveness when I removed them from the older tv, and I guess the tape wasn't strong enough lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate for second... I have a Samsung JS8500. I've never complained about my PQ from OTA channels wether it's 480, 720, or 1080. Along with this thread, I also follow numerous Samsung and Sony threads. I don't recall any of those owners complaining about PQ from their cable providers or OTA. Now I have heard ppl with OLEDs complain about PQ though to be fair. So to say that all the blame is on the signal and not the TV processing is hard to believe.

I'll play devil's advocate to your devil's advocate.

• No one here complains of bluray to 4k conversion by the P series
  • People have complained about 1080p delivered from cable to the P series
  • If both signals are 1080p and one is great to incredible, the other is bad, then the difference is the signal
  • If 1080p from a bluray source looks great, then the upscaling from 1080p to 4k is great
  • If the 1080p to 4K upscaling were bad, you'd see bad bluray upscaling. You're not using different 1080p to 4K algorithms for different sources.

Now, in the tradition of AVS, I propose a completely and proudly unsupported theory.

Matt from Vizio said that a goal of the P series was to present video exactly as provided from the source.

That means no unseen or under the covers processing that can't be defeated to me. Some owners here have been able to get "better" cable display by changing edge processing, etc. What that tells me is that the signal can be made more watchable by adding processing to the signal.

Edge, noise and some other processing may get you to where the Samsungs and Sonys live. I'd rather come up with a profile that lets me decide how much I want to compromise a clean signal to get close to a 'good' signal than influence Vizio to put in undefeatable processing so the set looks good in a BB.

Again - if you agree that the 1080p shown from a bluray source is good, then the 1080p to 4k upscaling is good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm looking at the 50" of this Tv as potentially a PC monitor.

A couple questions.

Does it do [email protected] 4:4:4 for games? The OP looks like I may have to choose [email protected] 4:4:4 or the game mode? Is this HDR? Those seem to be the new hotness I terms of specs. Also I would probably want a VA panel and not an IPS from what I read. And it seems like FALD is a big thing too, is this FALD?

Thanks for your help in advance. I'm somewhat new to the TV market again. As the last one I really researched heavily was my Panasonic plasma that I bought 10 years ago.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
My "time warner cable" picture setting vs calibrated setting for the same picture. So much more pop now and mad the picture look a lot sharper overall, especially when watching sports.These pictures may not due it justice, as it may look more like "vivid" in the photo. But trust me, they improved everything. Grass is now green and not grey/green. And ice is now white .

Please don't mind the hue lightstrips in the background, they lost their adhesiveness when I removed them from the older tv, and I guess the tape wasn't strong enough lol.
How are those hue strips for adding ambient light? Also, do you have the new ones or the old ones? I am thinking about picking up the old ones since they are only $30 now.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm actually surprised that three (?) users have posted about this issue. Unlike the yellow streak, which also seems (even more) widespread, the tearing is something that actually affects day-to-day viewing. Whereas the yellow streak can be chalked up to inherent flaws in LCD technology, if the tearing is an actual hardware failure, I'm surprised at the relatively high failure rate. Instead I'd hoped that it was something that could be fixed through firmware.

FWIW the version of the movie I'm watching is letterboxed. Is the same true of the versions that are causing the issue?
I cant recall correctly but we saw these issues of split screen (perfectly in the middle) with what seems like 2 different brightnesses in the M series thread a while back.
Cant remember what the exact cause was or the fix. I think rebooting/reseting fixed it for a while. Not sure it end in getting a replacement.
Anyone here remeber this from the M thread??

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,595
Here's some food for thought...

The cable and satellite providers are scrambling to get their delivery resolution and compression methods upgraded to compete with app-based streaming. I'm an xfinity user and it's a rare channel that isn't using modern resolutions and compression. All of the major news channels, locals, sports channels, special interest are broadcasting signals that the Vizio is optimized to deliver a beautifully natural and realistic picture.

If you're using DirectTV or xFinity, this display is going to do very well. I can't speak for FIOS or Time Warner or anyone else, but I have a hard time believing that any cable company actually competing to stay in business is going to be in business delivering the signals people are complaining about. This will be a defining year for providers.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

Looks to me you are crushing blacks now. Looking at Carol's hair and the golf announcers chairs.

·
Registered
139 Posts

How are those hue strips for adding ambient light? Also, do you have the new ones or the old ones? I am thinking about picking up the old ones since they are only $30 now.
They are fantastic! They definitely add something to the experience. My wife liked them so much that we also added them to the kitchen to create a faux backsplash lol.
I had a 65 inch tv so I had to buy 2 packs but now that I have this 75 inch I need another strip. Mine are version 1.0 but the new 2.0 strips have the ability to be extended ... Sucks for me! Where are you seeing the old ones for 30?

·
Registered
139 Posts

Looks to me you are crushing blacks now. Looking at Carol's hair and the golf announcers chairs.
The blacks are crushing a bit, but at least this can be a baseline for future improvement. Regardless of the fact, Cable picture was a lot better. I have the k8500 player , Xbox one,ps4 and Apple TV aswell and they all look fine with the calibrated / calibrated dark settings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hard to say which is better but I bought the 55 for our living room so the IPS works well. I have a Panasonic ST60 in the basement and while they aren't adjacent I think the 55 does a very good job with contrast/blacks probably due to the FALD. Maybe another 55 owner can chime in.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

@pkirby11 @Furyus I have no complaints about the black levels so far. I was worried about the IPS panel, but I've been pleasantly surprised. After testing the black levels under different lighting conditions, my concerns have been pretty much put to bed. I still find myself trying to catch instances of gray blacks, but it hasn't happened yet. Lol

For what it's worth, I'm a graphic design major, so I'm pretty picky about picture quality. Also, until recently, I sold TVs for a living, so I've been a little spoiled looking at the OLEDs every day.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,600
Settings for rec.709 sources... cable, satellite, SD Bluray and just about everything but UHD/DV or HDR10.

I've not see a single test pattern, or setup app that has yielded a brightness or contrast setting that isn't centered on 50% (plus or minus 1 or 2%) If your cable feed has you making huge adjustments to brightness or contrast, there's an issue.

I think most here feel that you should set the tv up the way YOU like it. On the other hand, you should know technically that when your settings are WAY beyond how the set is optimized to perform with industry standard colorspace, resolutions and DR, you should know.

Box store demos: find my post for an opinion on that.

3581 - 3600 of 64783 Posts