AVS Forum banner

3621 - 3640 of 64796 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Then this set should work very well with devices like the DarbeeVision products or the DVDO iScan.
And even better still with higher end video processors. ;)

4K reminds me of the old plasma 768p panel days when the best picture was achieved when a good VP was used.
Maybe it is time to revisit that setup with modern VPs and great 4K panels.
It's one reason I'm waiting for the UHD Oppos to come out before deciding on a panel. I may wind up with a non-Vizio at that time, but given what I've seen with these P series 'monitors', I'm an interested onlooker.

I like the philosophy of taking in a clean signal and displaying it. I figure the providers will catch up with the demands of 4K and maybe HDR.

So (like I do now) I'll use the Oppo Darbee version to clean the input TV signals, deliver great DV and HDR10 content to my .

The is likely to be a Vizio from what I'm seeing, maybe an updated R with the approach the P are taking.

·
Registered
139 Posts
have to disagree as my tv before this one, a 2014 Samsung hu8550 was leaps and bounds better at showing cable than this (out of the box).i understand that going from 65 to 75 inches can make a difference, but it shouldn't have made that much of I difference.
Thankfully, by lowering the brightness and increasing color, contrast, I am starting to get a comparable picture.
A 75" TV has 33% more screen area than a 65". If you take a picture you took with an iPhone 4 and blow it up by 33% then you immediately start seeing issues with clarity. I'm using the scaling in my Pioneer Elite to take cable to 1080P. This scaling is well respected. It still looks like crap.
Have the same setup as you and I agree 100%.im telling you man just try my settings and see if you like the direction of where the picture is going.

And to everyone who says that it's the cable box and not the set, look at this picture....it is the best example of how bad the picture looks with regular settings. Everything is dull with no level of detail at all. This is a live hockey game for crying out loud, you should see more than this

Attachments

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
While this is all 100% accurate I cant help but somewhat disagree. If Vizio wants to step into the ring with the big dogs it needs to be at least on par at handling sub par content as its perceived competitors. There is a difference between less picture manipulation and poor picture manipulation. I understand expectations need to be inline with the price point this TV sells at but when 90% of the content viewed by the masses will be lower quality, outstanding deep blacks and amazing DV wont win the war alone.

I'm chomping at the bit to see this TV in person and REALLY hope this set delivers for me but I'll be honest, hearing that it is noticeably inferior at handling < 1080p and Vizio's stance of pure is better do give me pause. I guess maybe Im just a little frustrated that they appear to have knocked it out of the park with high quality source material but not much was done to improve lower quality material.
Concerning cable broadcasts, how will poor picture manipulation (from ANY set, not just Vizio) affect 720p/1080i/1080p content that has been encoded for HDR? It does not appear that cable operators are in a rush to upgrade their facilities to provide the kind of pristine signals necessary to make picture manipulation completely unnecessary. :confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Cancelled Vizio direct order. They can't seem to get an email to me.

But, BB delivery set for this Saturday on the 75". Nice way to end spring break.

I'll start with page 1 calibration but I'm either going to dig up a pro calibrator to drive in or buy the spectral and give it a go in the next few weeks.

I can't find the link sent to me on the refurb enthusiast with the right meter for HDR. If anyone has that, can they resend it to me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Has anyone bought an extended warranty for the P75 from somewhere other than Best Buy?

Im interested as well. I want to know about the Costco deal. Is like 89.00.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have also had this issue with my Denon AVR-1912. Dolby Digital started working on SOME content after the latest firmware update. DD+ never works though.
This seems like a common issue with Denons. Do any of you have a newer Denon that works properly with ARC on HDMI 1?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went in and talked to a Costco employee about it. This about sums it up: http://www.costco.com/.product.11680336.html

4 Years Total Protection for your TV purchased at any other authorized US retailer
The first year of warranty is covered by the manufacturer. The 2nd through the 4th years are covered by SquareTrade.

The plan must be purchased within 90 days of purchasing the TV in a warehouse. If the TV is purchased online at Costco.com, then the service plan must be purchased within 90 days from receipt of TV.

Free In-Home Service for TVs 37" and Above: If your large TV needs service, we'll send a repair provider over to your house to fix it.

100% Parts & Labor Coverage, No deductibles.

8. YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Provide Us with a complete copy of proof of purchase. You can send Us a digital copy through www.squaretrade.com
and We can store it for You, or You can provide such proof of purchase at time You make a claim

13. TRANSFER OF PROTECTION PLAN:
This Protection Plan may be transferred at no charge. To transfer this Plan log in to www.squaretrade.com, or
contact Us toll-free at 1-877 WARRANTY (1-877-927-7268) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,629
Yes, it adds 3 years to the 1 year warranty you would get from BB or Vizio direct. You don't need to buy it from them or be a member.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I went in and talked to a Costco employee about it. This about sums it up: http://www.costco.com/.product.11680336.html

4 Years Total Protection for your TV purchased at any other authorized US retailer

The first year of warranty is covered by the manufacturer. The 2nd through the 4th years are covered by SquareTrade.

The plan must be purchased within 90 days of purchasing the TV in a warehouse. If the TV is purchased online at Costco.com, then the service plan must be purchased within 90 days from receipt of TV.

Free In-Home Service for TVs 37" and Above: If your large TV needs service, we'll send a repair provider over to your house to fix it.

Great. I saw it. I wonder how is the process because it says you need to buy the product thru them. I wonder if you have to show prove of purchase

Anyone knows?

·
Registered
26 Posts

Do you have to be a Costco member for the warranty to remain effective? I just noticed that I can buy the warranty online and they add a small surcharge for non members.

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
For those who have cable. Did you even try to call the company to ask if they have a new cable box or new hardware. I know they wont call you or send you a new one if they release one for new customers. I know here in NYC time warner and optimum uses samsung cable boxes. I bet is optimize for samsung tv.

I would call them and tell them you getting bad signal on your new tv/display. See what they tell you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update for Charter Spectrum customers: Actually, the picture on the Charter Spectrum app in the Roku 4 looks much better than the box hooked to the TV, so I'm going with that...picture from all other sources otherwise looks fantastic to me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Yes, it adds 3 years to the 1 year warranty you would get from BB or Vizio direct. You don't need to buy it from them or be a member.

Perfect @thomasfxlt. I will get it in a few days. The vizio p65 will deliver today by BB. CANT WAIT to pop that cherry, and help out more with info. Hope i dont have issues with my pioneer sc-81. Need to upgrade Avr with the new one that comes with HDR10 compatible DV via firmware. Specially with atmos and dts x

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great. I saw it. I wonder how is the process because it says you need to buy the product thru them. I wonder if you have to show prove of purchase

Anyone knows?
From the PDF on the page I linked:

8. YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Provide Us with a complete copy of proof of purchase. You can send Us a digital copy through www.squaretrade.com
and We can store it for You, or You can provide such proof of purchase at time You make a claim

13. TRANSFER OF PROTECTION PLAN:
This Protection Plan may be transferred at no charge. To transfer this Plan log in to www.squaretrade.com, or
contact Us toll-free at 1-877 WARRANTY (1-877-927-7268) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

It's wholly through SquareTrade. If you are no longer a member during the warranty, it shouldn't matter since you will never deal with Costco aside from the initial purchase.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Update for Charter Spectrum customers: Actually, the picture on the Charter Spectrum app in the Roku 4 looks much better than the box hooked to the TV, so I'm going with that...picture from all other sources otherwise looks fantastic to me.

Looks like the top boxes bandwidth is not putting strong signal. I wonder if they could increase that for the new displays or have new hardware. From a system admin background this guys are ninja not giving you the new hardware for existing customer. New customers gets all the new up to date boxes

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Have the same setup as you and I agree 100%.im telling you man just try my settings and see if you like the direction of where the picture is going.

And to everyone who says that it's the cable box and not the set, look at this picture....it is the best example of how bad the picture looks with regular settings. Everything is dull with no level of detail at all. This is a live hockey game for crying out loud, you should see more than this
Are you with verizon/charter? I asked earlier, but that seems to be the only cable provider people are having issues with. If so, this is a "them" issue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Are you with verizon/charter? I asked earlier, but that seems to be the only cable provider people are having issues with. If so, this is a "them" issue.

Is weird because it should be better clean optical signal. I think is a hardware issue on the box they crap as ****.

I dont have cable, cut the cord 2 years ago i get everything streaming thru Netflix and kodi via a custom pc.

If i had cable i will call them. Tell them you have a new 4k x amount of " so they could provide the right hardware. Old hardware dont play nice with new one.

I have fios now 100/100 on my new place. So speed wont be an issue for me. ^_^

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Is weird because it should be better clean optical signal. I think is a hardware issue on the box they crap as ****.

I dont have cable, cut the cord 2 years ago i get everything streaming thru Netflix and kodi via a custom pc.

If i had cable i will call them. Tell them you have a new 4k x amount of " so they could provide the right hardware. Old hardware dont play nice with new one.

I have fios now 100/100 on my new place. So speed wont be an issue for me. ^_^
I also cut the court a while ago, and everything I am feeding it looks fantastic.

Unrelated to this quote, but showtime looks better casting than any app I have ever used. It looks better than Roku 4, AppleTV, or on Demand.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Can someone that owns this set comment on normal TV viewing? We are scheduled to get the set tomorrow but I am on the fence on cancelling my order. We watch 70% cable (xfinity x1) and 20% streaming (roku 4 Netflix) and 10% blu ray disc. I picked up the older P series in 2014 and was not happy with the normal TV viewing and returned it. Hopefully this one is much, much better.
We watch a lot of Satellite TV (Dish hopper 3). I've got a 49" HD Vizio, a 42" Panny plasma (720P), and recently replaced a 67" Samsung LED-DLP HD set with the P75.
I don't see a huge difference in the picture on the P75 as opposed to the Samsung (or the Visio M70 I had briefly). Of course it looks best on the 42" set I watch from bed, but I'm not distracted by the image quality on the P75. I watched Mad Max: Fury Road (DVR'd from HBO), and it looks pretty amazing.
One exception was with History Channel's Vikings. Watched two episodes last night, and the second one seemed to look a bit worse than the first. No idea what was going on there.

·
Registered
20,244 Posts
Vizio broken speed test is broken.

Like no work at all

This x1000000000000

But if we get the IP to the speed test server the Visio program uses, we can actually check to see why it is "broken".

It's been broken since 2014, it's a "known" factor. Not even worth the effort ;)

Looks like the top boxes bandwidth is not putting strong signal. I wonder if they could increase that for the new displays or have new hardware. From a system admin background this guys are ninja not giving you the new hardware for existing customer. New customers gets all the new up to date boxes

That is not always true. You get a box that the installer/shop has and those are not always the newest ;) they can't increase something that is set "globally" on purpose for "new customers". They are trying to cram as much as possible into a limited bandwidth and in some cases putting multiple channels on the same "stream". This will lower the bandwidth available to the main channel and thus we have compression artifacts, etc. this of course is on top of the compression that the companies apply to squeeze as much as possible out of what they have.

Not sure why they are "ninjas" as replacing hardware is expensive. Most customer don't care and are happy with the legacy equipment. Unless a specific need arises there is no reason to upgrade "just because". As a sys admin you should know this. Your customers don't need the best and newest hardware. What they need is something that will meet their current needs with a certain amount factored in for growth. Above all else they need stability and the newest hardware just doesn't offer that in any capacity as hardware companies fix the bugs.

3621 - 3640 of 64796 Posts