AVS Forum banner

41721 - 41740 of 65319 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Maybe if this were a cheap TV, sure. At $1,500-2,000 for a P65, attempting to diminishing someone's displeasure with a part of the design is a bit asinine. Design quality is also important in mid-to-high level TVs. Having had other models of the same year, the relatively "huge" silver bezels contrast to the dark screen and I also find it to be quite unappealing. It makes it seem cheap, even. I much prefer their approach on the 2015 M-series, which used a black bezel that disguised its size. This is something I wish they had carried over, because it would make the front look far more attractive.
Completely agree. Nothing wrong with being concerned with the overall aesthetics of the P65, especially considering the price.

Personally, I like the brushed metal/silver bezel. It feels and looks more high-end, and it's not distracting when watching as most may think. For me, black plastic bezels don't equate to high quality anymore.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Hmm seems like an opinion and nothing more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is and isn't "attractive" is an opinion.

Whether or not bright/light surfaces around the TV that can reflect light impact what the human eye sees, is not... That's why dedicated home theater's are dark rooms and the screen is often placed against a dark-colored wall...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have an external 500gb hard drive with USB cable. Will it function the same as a USB stick when plugged in for videos?

Does it have to be formatted a certain way? If it has to be Fat32 I know that only supports 2gb files.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,740 Posts
I have an external 500gb hard drive with USB cable. Will it function the same as a USB stick when plugged in for videos?

Does it have to be formatted a certain way? If it has to be Fat32 I know that only supports 2gb files.

Get a dedicated media player and be done with it. The P series wasn't really designed with direct media playing "in mind". While it does off automatic playback, the hoops you have to jump through make it not worth it IMO. While they may add a media player in the future, dedicated media players will serve you much better.

·
Registered
31 Posts

"I have an external 500gb hard drive with USB cable. Will it function the same as a USB stick when plugged in for videos?"

as others said - you would be better off with media player. USB port was intended primarily for firmware updates...

·
Registered
9 Posts
so im on my third p55-c1. purchased at costco in canada. Am i just unlucky and keep getting lemons or am i missing something. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TV one, this happened randomly and multiple times:

Turning it off and on made it go away but it happened multiple tomes

TV two had a random crescent in the middle on the right side that was visible with any solid color like this:

TV three randomly turns on and off and from time to time looks like it has curtains appear until i turn it off and on. sometimes it flashes and goes away.

should i just return it and get something else or just exchange? problem with a return is all the deals for tvs are done for the most part and id need to spend more to get something of comparable quality.

Any ideas or advice? im really at my wits end.

·
Banned
585 Posts

Get a roku ultra man. I personally have a Plex server I use but when I want to use the USB it works flawlessly and pretty much plays anything I throw at it .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

so im on my third p55-c1. purchased at costco in canada. Am i just unlucky and keep getting lemons or am i missing something. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TV one, this happened randomly and multiple times:

Turning it off and on made it go away but it happened multiple tomes

TV two had a random crescent in the middle on the right side that was visible with any solid color like this:

TV three randomly turns on and off and from time to time looks like it has curtains appear until i turn it off and on. sometimes it flashes and goes away.

should i just return it and get something else or just exchange? problem with a return is all the deals for tvs are done for the most part and id need to spend more to get something of comparable quality.

Any ideas or advice? im really at my wits end.

I had to return my first P55 purchased from Costco Canada, due to excessive flash lighting. My second one was near perfect. Totally up to you. Keep trying the panel lottery. They should be able to honour the price. Call concierge service to inquire about it. What about requesting a verified replacement directly from Vizio??

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

If you have any full uncompressed Blu Ray rips on that 500 gig drive, and you're looking for playback with the HD Audio in tact, Dunes, NUCs, Chromeboxes, Nvidia Shields, and Odroid C2's are the most-often-recommended weapons of choice.

If your files/content/needs aren't that demanding, in terms of bitrates, any old Roku or FireTV-esque solution will work for you, at lower cost and requiring less elbow grease.

FYI

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you have any full uncompressed Blu Ray rips on that 500 gig drive, and you're looking for playback with the HD Audio in tact, Dunes, NUCs, Chromeboxes, Nvidia Shields, and Odroid C2's are the most-often-recommended weapons of choice.

If your files/content/needs aren't that demanding, in terms of bitrates, any old Roku or FireTV-esque solution will work for you, at lower cost and requiring less elbow grease.

FYI
I have an old WDTV that plays all my 1080p files in mkv, TS, Mp4 without issues.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Get a dedicated media player and be done with it. The P series wasn't really designed with direct media playing "in mind". While it does off automatic playback, the hoops you have to jump through make it not worth it IMO. While they may add a media player in the future, dedicated media players will serve you much better.

I've been thinking about this and what may be the new feature Matt was talking about. It brought me to supporting external storage. So you can download from NetFlix, Vudu, Fandango, Youtube and any other casting app that has a download feature. Playback would be handled by the apps.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 TCL 55R635 TV (OLED-Like) - Brightly-lit, Pinpoint, Tiny Stars!), Vizio Sound Bar
4,004 Posts

·
Registered
2020 TCL 55R635 TV (OLED-Like) - Brightly-lit, Pinpoint, Tiny Stars!), Vizio Sound Bar
4,004 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Hey bud. This is a normal thing to deal with no matter which TV you purchase nowadays. I went through 4 TVs from Samsung and Sony before settling with the Vizio. Even if it was a lemon I would still only exchange for a Vizio P or LG OLED as they are the best TVs/displays on the market these days. Sounds like you have had bad luck, but don't give up. I never liked the idea of calling it a lottery as lottery costs money, the odds of winning are astronomical and you can't exchange a ticket for a new one if you don't win. I like to think of it as a dice roll with 6 variations. I would stick with a 5 or higher and reroll on anything else.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I'm very surprised by some of the wacky settings people are using here.
For Dolby Vision, use Calibrated or Calibrated Dark with EVERYTHING DEFAULT.
Don't even touch the Backlight - it doesn't do what you would expect it to.
The -only- thing you should change is the GAMMA

Nah. Calibrated Dark by default, can be too bright at night, for me. That's what the
Backlight is for... to adjust for room lighting and my eyes. Leave 'Everything Default'?
No way. I also turn off the Noise Reduction features. ;)

Matt already stated, whatever pic mode you're on, including Custom made ones, HDR
accounts for that. It is not a one-and-only-one setup for HDR. Is not this right, @shoman94
and @thomasfxlt ?

Vizio has done a really good job of dialing this thing in - unless you have very
expensive software + meter, you are almost certainly making the picture less accurate.

Most certainly less accurate? I'll challenge that. :) Every single Firmware Release
since my M40 (2013), P50 (2014), and my current P50 has been by default, out of
adjustment (less accurate) with the Grayscale, where my 'By-Eye' adjustments made
improvements.

Only recent Firmware Updates has the Grayscale close to spot-on. Even with that,
my A/B Test Pattern checks, show I still got better Grayscale vs the current Firmware
with my manual adjusting the 11-Point. I would've done just the 2-Point, but when
one or more of the 11-Point Bars are off, it was best for me to do the 11-Point. ;)

One day when I get a decent digital camera, I'll post an A/B of the Grayscale. My
cheap candy bar cellphone puts a big pink hue spot in the center. :mad:

Why do you think the people here on AVS have their own meters/software to dial-in to
their specific panels? Thus, Firmware Updates can't put a perfect Grayscale to
each panel - just a hit-or-miss average. Why this is not done at the factory, I dunno -
a cost thing, I suppose.

So, my manual adjustments and test patterns vs a particular firmware default shows
to me I made improvements for the better - not worse. For if my setup made it
worse, I'd reset the Color Tuner and leave it at default.

Since I can't do anything with HDR adjusting, I have Tint at -2 to back-off on the
slightly overly-green Offset.

One day, I hope to pay for the CalMAN update and give it go, but until then, my
By-Eye adjusting works just fine. :D

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have it on my P75 and it is working out for me; but if you have small children, I'd be a bit wary of this as a solution.
I bought it and tried using it and it was way too wobbly for me, particularly here in California. Just seemed like it was too heavy for the stand. I ended up getting a larger coffee table so I could use the stock stands. If anybody in Northern California wants the stand listed you can have it for free. Just taking up space in my garage right now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you watching cable?

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
Not usually--we don't even have a cable box. The only way we can consume cable service is through Live Channels on an nVidia Shield (2017). Even then, I've seen the lines while using other apps on the Shield, and also while playing games on a PS4 Pro. Connection-wise, everything is coming through my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR656), which is connected to HDMI 1 of the display.

41721 - 41740 of 65319 Posts