AVS Forum banner

42321 - 42340 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hope this doesn't fall under the umbrella of price talk, but I wanted to mention that I ordered my P75-C1 direct from Vizio a week or two before it went on sale for $800 off. I contacted Vizio and they will be doing a 30-day price guarantee sort of thing and refunding the difference, which is considerable. I figured it might be worth mentioning that in case anyone else bought a TV from them a few weeks ago right before they went on sale.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use only Mono Price and Amazon Cables for my PS4-Pro and ARC audio. These work flawlessly. At this point I do not own a UHD-Bluray player and I'm anxious to see if these work. I really don't want to have to buy BJC's :)
Don't buy BJCs at any length above 15'. They are *not* premium certified and the 2 that I ordered did not properly work with 4k. I would recommend Monoprice Premium Certified for anything >15' and

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
UGH... no.... lol

You were responding to this:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I completely agree, but if you are set to Vivid with a backlight of 80 you might not notice it much. I think it is too subtle for some if they don't know what they are looking for.

I was saying that having the backlight raised can also be the issue.
Ugh..No! I was responding to comments about HDR and the focus on brightness or blinding brightness.

And.... I was agreeing with you, that you were using english, I put English in parenthesis, unless you responded before the edit.

Your right, I didn't catch that. I remember that comment now. That just in test...right, and not while DV content is playing.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Owner

Hello,

I have read this thread with great interest since the very first day. I never wrote before because I wasn't an owner. Thanks to many tips and feedback I finally took the plunge and I am now the proud owner of a p-55 c1 since last week (bought from Costco Canada). I wanted to share my experience which has been 100% positive for now.

The TV is up to date with the latest firmware (as well as the tablet but I use my iphone instead). I use the TV for Netflix with Smarcast (Chef's Table is amazing with Dolby Vision), gaming with an Xbox One S (will try Mass Effect Andromeda tonight) and cable TV (Videotron Illico).

I choose the P-55 for the wide viewing angles and I'm not disappointed. I was a little worried about the reflections on screen because the room has a lot of windows but it is very good including during the day (I use Calibrated or Calibrated Dark depending of time of day).

Motion have been flawless. Upscaling is also very good, even with cable TV. Some older show are a bit soft, but it's not that bad. I use a Sonos 5.1 septup and I did not encounter any problem.

Thank you all for sharing experiences and advices. I had previously always bought Sony or Samsung TV but Vizio definitely deserves a try. If people have questions about the p-55, I will do my best to help them.

Greetings from a happy owner in Quebec.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I've noticed a new small issue after the latest firmware update.
I get a message that pops up about once an hour or so saying
the connection to the remote was lost and it needs to be re-paired
(or something like that). Is anyone else experiencing it?

(And, Yes, I've done a reset after updating the firmware :))
Are the Tablet and Display indicating a good/strong signal?

Did you try setting to 2.4GHz-only in the WiFi Advance Settings?

Tablet ReBoot?

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I was casting Iron Fist episode 3 (2160p, HDR) and
noticed the flowers on the steps looked nice, so I
did an A/B comparison and switched to the Xbox one
(1080p, no HDR) and found them to be the exact same.

If you can Cast anything in HDR from the Tablet, that
would be a better test. I know with some of the game
devices there's been plenty of talk about Vizio and the
game box makers having to come up with fixes.

(Search this Thread. It's been covered here over and over...
and over. Oh, and over and over again.) :D

Some of it being with the Sub-Sampling settings and perhaps
Color Space settings whether it needs readjusted or not.

On my P50, I find a Backlight setting of 30 is max peak HDR brights.
I'm using a 40 setting now along with a Gamma Setting of 1.8 on most
NetFlix content.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you only seeing this difference in screen halves at certain time? Certain equipment? Certain input? Certain resolution? etc.....
I was only seeing it in two retro-styled games on my Nintendo Switch. I've had it do it on a show twice but just for a split second and then it stopped. It essentially looks akin to a demo effect you'd see in stores sometimes where they split the screen to show two different effects such as a "HDR on, HDR off" or "Motion on, Motion off" sort of thing. I went to show it to a friend last night and it had stopped doing it so I don't know what the deal was or if I should be concerned.

In some ways that has me more worried :)

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
What settings are you using to watch Iron Fist on Netflix?
I can only get it to look decent by lowering backlight to around
25 and doing gamma at 1.8. Anyone else having issues?

I just started to watch it last night.

Backlight of 25 would be to too low for my P-50. 30 is my peak
HDR Brights. I'm using 40 for now.

My Setup for NetFlix on my P50:

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just used the desktop app and noticed that CAST was set to HDMI 5, so I changed CAST to CAST and hopefully that fixes it.
Yeah, I heard that Harmony addressed the CAST input & you can now switch directly to the input without going to COMP & using the NEXT INPUT command.

One of these days I'll have to delete the P65 from my Harmony & re add it. :D

·
Registered
22,169 Posts
Yeah, I heard that Harmony addressed the CAST input & you can now switch directly to the input without going to COMP & using the NEXT INPUT command.

One of these days I'll have to delete the P65 from my Harmony & re add it. :D
No need to delete anything, you can fix the existing command. In the software:
Devices - Vizio - Change Device Settings - Input Settings -> select "I Press Different Buttons"
You current input options will be listed on the left. Under that select "Fix An Input". Select "Cast" or whatever you have it named. From the list select "InputCast" from the list and now your Casting command is fixed.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
No need to delete anything, you can fix the existing command. In the software:
Devices - Vizio - Change Device Settings - Input Settings -> select "I Press Different Buttons"
You current input options will be listed on the left. Under that select "Fix An Input". Select "Cast" or whatever you have it named. From the list select "InputCast" from the list and now your Casting command is fixed.
This. It was set to "HDMI 5" where it should have said "InputCast"

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Ugh..No! I was responding to comments about HDR and the focus on brightness or blinding brightness.

And.... I was agreeing with you, that you were using english, I put English in parenthesis, unless you responded before the edit.

Your right, I didn't catch that. I remember that comment now. That just in test...right, and not while DV content is playing.

hahaha, You quoted that post.... you know what nevermind.

No not just test. I was testing it with content.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Ugh..No! I was responding to comments about HDR and the focus on brightness or blinding brightness....

As I said earlier, I completely agree with your detailed comments on what HDR really entails. Nonetheless, the human eye normally sees great detail in real world mixed lighting situations and "expects" (unrealistically w/o HDR) to see it on video. That is why I said HDR is subtle. Now truly bright scenes are rare enough to be noticed by HDR novices on video. IMHO.

·
Banned
585 Posts
The odd thing is PS4 Pro looks fantastic, Horizon Dawn is absolutely beautiful in HDR. Gears of War just looks brighter in HDR, doesn't pop as much.

I have everything set to automatic. I will give it a try today.

I am tempted to pick up a Roku Premiere or Blu-ray player that supports Dolby Vision to verify HDR just sucks on the Xbox One S.

As far as I know there is no streaming player or bluray player that supports Dolby vision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
The odd thing is PS4 Pro looks fantastic, Horizon Dawn is absolutely beautiful in HDR. Gears of War just looks brighter in HDR, doesn't pop as much.
I've played many HDR games on the P50, and Horizon Zero Dawn is exceptional in terms of presentation.

It seems to me that the developers of Horizon took extra care with the HDR look to get that pop, and hopefully future games will live up to the high bar it sets. But keep in mind most games were in development, and many released before, HDR in games was a thing. So titles like Gears might not really show off what your Vizio can do with HDR, or the results might be more subtle.

Hopefully future Xbox and PS4 games will follow Horizon's lead.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
As I said earlier, I completely agree with your detailed comments on what HDR really entails. Nonetheless, the human eye normally sees great detail in real world mixed lighting situations and "expects" (unrealistically w/o HDR) to see it on video. That is why I said HDR is subtle. Now truly bright scenes are rare enough to be noticed by HDR novices on video. IMHO.
Stacey Spears of Spectracal suggest showing SDR version then the HDR version. Side by sides don't do it justice.

I think a novice can notice HDR differences immediately, this is the case for those that got the privilege, to see early presentations of DV before it got to consumer displays. Color is always the standout, and it does in a big way when watching Chef's Table Season 3, particularly the last episode.

My current settings for my P55 specifically for DV.

Backlight 40
Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Color 50
Sharpness 20 need to test this, to find the optimal setting.

Gamma 2.4 Gives me greater contrast and adds more depth.

These settings have been great for me.

Thanks to Shoman, Bear, and Thomas whenever he visits the thread.

Marco Polo is stunning with these settings, indoor scenes or outdoor scenes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So, wish me luck.

I'm 364 days in and finally decided that I couldn't stand seeing the wide yellow line at the bottom center of my P65-C1 any longer. I contacted Vizio and they are sending me a new display. It was only noticeable on solid, light colored backgrounds (as others have mentioned before). But one you see it you can't un-see it no matter how hard you try to ignore it. Hopefully I have no new issues to deal with as everything else about the TV has worked flawlessly from day one.

-=gos=-

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I use to get that error, but it was the little remote causing the problem. I just took the batteries out of it :).
Are the Tablet and Display indicating a good/strong signal?

Did you try setting to 2.4GHz-only in the WiFi Advance Settings?

Tablet ReBoot?
I'll try taking the batteries from the little remote.
Tablet is on 5ghz wifi and always within 6 feet from the router, so it shouldn't be loosing any signal. TV is hardwired into the router. I guess I'll try the 2.4GHz network also, but this wasn't an issue up until the update got applied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Color is always the standout, and it does in a big way when watching Chef's Table Season 3, particularly the last episode.

My current settings for my P55 specifically for DV.

Backlight 40
Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Color 50
Sharpness 20 need to test this, to find the optimal setting.

Gamma 2.4 Gives me greater contrast and adds more depth.

These settings have been great for me.

Thanks to Shoman, Bear, and Thomas whenever he visits the thread.

Marco Polo is stunning with these settings, indoor scenes or outdoor scenes.

I have the P55 as well. You don't feel that with gamma at 2.4 and the backlight that low, that for example - people in black coats lose detail and sort of become one large black blob?

Obviously a little exaggerated, but you know :)

42321 - 42340 of 64785 Posts