AVS Forum banner

42341 - 42360 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
So, wish me luck.

I'm 364 days in and finally decided that I couldn't stand seeing the wide yellow line at the bottom center of my P65-C1 any longer. I contacted Vizio and they are sending me a new display. It was only noticeable on solid, light colored backgrounds (as others have mentioned before). But one you see it you can't un-see it no matter how hard you try to ignore it. Hopefully I have no new issues to deal with as everything else about the TV has worked flawlessly from day one.

-=gos=-
You'll be fine... =)

·
Registered
89 Posts
As far as I know there is no streaming player or bluray player that supports Dolby vision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some are on the way - the Oppo is getting a firmware update. I also haven't seen it mentioned here, but Dolby has indicated that they now have a software implementation for Dolby Vision. It takes some spare processing power, but my guess it that the Xbox One S could theoretically get it for streaming and discs. Not sure if DV games could happen. But crossing my fingers Dolby wins this format skirmish, because it's a much, much better spec.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Some are on the way - the Oppo is getting a firmware update. I also haven't seen it mentioned here, but Dolby has indicated that they now have a software implementation for Dolby Vision. It takes some spare processing power, but my guess it that the Xbox One S could theoretically get it for streaming and discs. Not sure if DV games could happen. But crossing my fingers Dolby wins this format skirmish, because it's a much, much better spec.

Yea it would be nice to see for sure .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yea I was one that went through both. the tearing and I one that had 2 different tones between the halves but it was consistant. His is crazy different whyen it happens to him. He probably needs to call in for a replacement....
I'm still in the return period, got it Friday, but it seems like $2480 was a steal and I doubt I'd see that again. How quick is the turnaround on a replacement from Vizio?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the P55 as well. You don't feel that with gamma at 2.4 and the backlight that low, that for example - people in black coats lose detail and sort of become one large black blob?

Obviously a little exaggerated, but you know :)
On mine I had to drop gamma to 2.1 or I was getting that. Doing all the pattern tests, 2.1 definitely worked the best at that too. I started with shoman's settings and fiddled from there to get all the test patterns to look proper, as well as getting movies looking good. Even the suggested 2.2 from his settings was extremely dark on my set, much too dark to see any detail, in darker areas. 2.1 seemed to be the sweet spot. If I cranked the backlight all the way up, I could get detail out with 2.2, but it was so damn bright that anywhere with actual lighting range, my iris would close up so I'd lose the black areas anyways, haha. 2.1, backlight 60, seemed pretty good. Brightness at 51 still.

Quick edit: P75

Quick edit 2: I should just put my system in my sig, I guess.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So we are in the market for a new TV. We will be coming from my 2005 Panasonic 42" plasma, 720p. I've been debating on what type of set to get, and with our new house our TV room really needs a 65", anything smaller will feel dwarfed by the room.

A 65" OLED, while my ideal choice, is also over 3k, and I just can't justify that. So, looking for a tv that can last for four or five years until all of this new tech is more realistic in price.

I've been debating between a new Sony x900e, or this TV. All of the reviews say the picture with this TV is amazing, I just don't know if I'm sold on the tablet as the tuner. So, I'd love a few individuals to give their input: How does the TV look and perform? What about the Tablet? I'm a little frightened to go this route because the forum here over the last few months seems to give negative input on this tv.

Thoughts?

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
So we are in the market for a new TV. We will be coming from my 2005 Panasonic 42" plasma, 720p. I've been debating on what type of set to get, and with our new house our TV room really needs a 65", anything smaller will feel dwarfed by the room.

A 65" OLED, while my ideal choice, is also over 3k, and I just can't justify that. So, looking for a tv that can last for four or five years until all of this new tech is more realistic in price.

I've been debating between a new Sony x900e, or this TV. All of the reviews say the picture with this TV is amazing, I just don't know if I'm sold on the tablet as the tuner. So, I'd love a few individuals to give their input: How does the TV look and perform? What about the Tablet? I'm a little frightened to go this route because the forum here over the last few months seems to give negative input on this tv.

Thoughts?

John

To make sure you know, there is no TV tuner built into the Vizio. You need a set top box of some sort, be it a Tivo, DirecTV whatever, Comcast Thingy, or an OTA tuner box.

As far as it goes itself, I *love* it for changing TV settings as I can just do it from the tablet stupidly easy. The TV also responds to IR commands, so I was able to program my harmony to do whatever I need it to do. It also comes with a small IR remote itself that has most of the commonly used functions. For me, the tablet is only used to change settings, as well as do casting. You can also use your normal phone or other tablets to do the same, so it kind of just works out as a free tablet.

Personally, I like it.

Edit: I am having some minor issues with the TV that I'm working with Vizio on. It also has a little bit of zebra-stripe-like (not nearly that regular though) banding of brightness that's occasionally visible, but some picture adjustment took care of most of it, and now I only see it very occasionally in very very dark or very very bright scenes with a lot of horizontal panning. There's also a bit more brightness on the lower right quadrant of the TV, but I only notice it during end credits or otherwise 100% black scenes. Do I wish I didn't have any of that? Yeah. Do I think it's pretty likely on any other TV of this size? Yes. The actual problem I'm having is occasionally when mucking with things, the TV gets very messed up picture-wise (I posted a picture earlier in the thread) and needs to be rebooted. It's also occasionally rebooted itself when mucking with things. I've also seen a few HDMI handshake issues, but I think those are more the fault of the Oppo UDP-203. When I'm not messing with picture settings and constantly fiddling with the format coming from the Oppo UDP-203, it has not had any problems. I want to reiterate that other than the occasional power-on HDMI handshake issues that I think I can just add a delay to fix, the only "severe" issues I'm seeing are when I'm doing massive settings changes and format changes to compare things. If I just sit down and watch a movie, it's got no problems. Also none of the problems appear related to the tablet in my case, at least.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I have the P55 as well. You don't feel that with gamma at 2.4 and the backlight that low, that for example - people in black coats lose detail and sort of become one large black blob?

Obviously a little exaggerated, but you know :)
That would be true during the launch window and a few months ago, but three or four firmware updates ago, a remedy for black crush was introduced. I think Shoman suggested that the lower end of the grey scale needed adjustment, and Matt responded by providing this recommendation to his team. Now shadow detail, blacks, and black detail is no longer crushed.

Shortly after that Bear discovered that lowering the backlight for DV fixed a bump in luminance, that affected how the display exited out of black to peak nits. This effectively crushed detail, with DV, light output is absolute, so any deviation in the design is bad. The bump was introduced in one of the most recent firmware updates.

The P55 is a IPS panel with a sub pixel structure, that allows more light through. The side effect is a poor native contrast ratio compared to VA panels. The pixel structure strengths being, off angle viewing closer to OLED. It also achieves more of the Wide Color Gamut.

2.4 gamma closes the gap, but only with ALZ On

So as you can see, my settings in essence are tied to work done by Shoman and Beardontwalk, who have been calibrating DV for nearly a year now and some knowledge I gained out of curiosity. I've calibrated my P55 once, haven't plugged meter in nearly a year.

In order for the changes to work, you change the settings while watching a DV title, stop (not pause)the movie or show, restart the program. You will notice immediately that the picture isn't darker but brighter then what it was before the changes.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
I'm still in the return period, got it Friday, but it seems like $2480 was a steal and I doubt I'd see that again. How quick is the turnaround on a replacement from Vizio?
I would definately do a replacement from Vizio in lieu of returning it. I live in Maine so its a 10 day turn around for me. It surely depends where you live and whats in your area for freight delivery.

On mine I had to drop gamma to 2.1 or I was getting that. Doing all the pattern tests, 2.1 definitely worked the best at that too. I started with shoman's settings and fiddled from there to get all the test patterns to look proper, as well as getting movies looking good. Even the suggested 2.2 from his settings was extremely dark on my set, much too dark to see any detail, in darker areas. 2.1 seemed to be the sweet spot. If I cranked the backlight all the way up, I could get detail out with 2.2, but it was so damn bright that anywhere with actual lighting range, my iris would close up so I'd lose the black areas anyways, haha. 2.1, backlight 60, seemed pretty good. Brightness at 51 still.

Quick edit: P75

Quick edit 2: I should just put my system in my sig, I guess.
Did you perform a factory reset in the display settings of the Smartcast app before applying my calibration? It needs to be done with every firmware change. I need to add that disclaimer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing extremely dark content for Amazon HDR? Sneaky Pete, for example, is so dim as to be unwatchable in Calibrated and its not a problem that appears to be correctable with gamma or other picture tweaks. Vizio is reporting HDR in the tablet settings.

I'm seeing this on Roku Ultra and Nvidia Shield, so its not a specific app, or even a particular device or app ecosystem. Meridian and other Netflix HDR content works fine from both devices. Amazon looks fine if I switch the output of either device to be non HDR in their respective display configs.

I didn't have this problem a few weeks ago, which makes me wonder if this is a change in Vizio firmware (running 3.0.14.0) or something changed at Amazons end.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing extremely dark content for Amazon HDR? Sneaky Pete, for example, is so dim as to be unwatchable in Calibrated and its not a problem that appears to be correctable with gamma or other picture tweaks. Vizio is reporting HDR in the tablet settings.

I'm seeing this on Roku Ultra and Nvidia Shield, so its not a specific app, or even a particular device or app ecosystem. Meridian and other Netflix HDR content works fine from both devices. Amazon looks fine if I switch the output of either device to be non HDR in their respective display configs.

I didn't have this problem a few weeks ago, which makes me wonder if this is a change in Vizio firmware (running 3.0.14.0) or something changed at Amazons end.
Is Sneaky Pete part of Prime? I can check it when I get home from work in a few hours.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
For some odd reason I do not have the rows for picture adjustments/size and never have . Day one purchase.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
It doesn't always show. I think it might depend on the input resolution.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My TV finally arrived and it’s beautiful. I had to get a universal table top TV Stand temporary as the stand it came with was too wide to fit my component table. This thing is going to look so nice once I get it mounted to the wall though. Total overkill but I ended up putting this in my bedroom. lol

I’ve never Calibrated a TV before so I’m going to have to do some research as to what’s the best setting will be. I also have to find a case for the tablet. I feel like I would definitely break it without one.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
My TV finally arrived and it’s beautiful. I had to get a universal table top TV Stand temporary as the stand it came with was too wide to fit my component table. This thing is going to look so nice once I get it mounted to the wall though. Total overkill but I ended up putting this in my bedroom. lol

I’ve never Calibrated a TV before so I’m going to have to do some research as to what’s the best setting will be. I also have to find a case for the tablet. I feel like I would definitely break it without one.
This is probably the best TV picture I have seen out of the box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ever since 3.0.14.0 I've been having a lot of handshake issues with my P65 & AppleTV or Amazon FireTV. There will be artifacts that flicker in and out and then the screen will scramble up and the unit will just reboot. Sometimes it will also randomly drop audio and I'll have to change inputs and it'll come back (sometimes I need to turn off/on).

I gave up on HDMI last night and tried casting and there was noticeable split screen until I restarted the TV. I've done a reset of the TV, but the issues persist. Are others seeing this with the latest beta firmware? This is my 3rd set and I'm getting close to asking Vizio to just take it back. I really like it, but I'm getting tired of troubleshooting a TV every day, especially when I had a Sony before this for almost 10 years with no issues at all.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is probably the best TV picture I have seen out of the box.
I agree 100%. I tried multiple brands before I landed this open box gem, P65-C1. I think about it every time I watch something on this TV. Out of the box perfection indeed. I still use STANDARD picture mode more all inputs except for PS4-Pro i use GAME.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Proud new P65-C1 owner here...I was leaning toward the Sony 930D or Sony 900E, but I was able to get the P65 for $600-$800.00 less than either of those two. Seemed like the better value proposition. Here are my initial thoughts:

Positives:
- Very pleased with the overall picture quality. It may not have as much pop as OLED or the brightness of some other TVs, but the P65 has excellent overall picture quality.
- I watched The Revenant 4K Ultra HD disc last night. All I can say is WOW! Black level, detail, contrast, color, HDR...very impressive. Not quite the leap from SD to HD, but noticeably better. In the dark, the black bars were non existent. Very nice.
- So far, gaming lag doesn't seem to be an issue. I sucked just as bad playing Battlefield One as I did on my previous TV. Lag is not the problem there.
- No issues using ARC HDMI audio to my Vizio SB4031 sound bar. Pairs up nicely.
- Dolbyvision on Netlfix is outstanding! I'm really looking forward to seeing it used more. The color and contrast is a huge improvement. More meaningful than the added resolution.

Negative/Jury's still out:
- The tablet is nothing special. I wouldn't use it for anything other than making adjustments to the TV.
- I ended up having to reboot the TV and tablet after the initial set up. Somehow I had a connection but lost the ability to cast anything to the TV. Not sure what I did wrong. I feel like I have enough tech savvy that it shouldn't be complicated.
- The reboot enabled me to cast, but I'm not sure about casting. I had a few issues when I tried a few apps: Vudu, Netflix, HBO Go, DirecTV Now, Hulu. Some froze up after a few minutes. Some got caught in a loop showing the same 20 seconds repeatedly. Apparently you can't cast WatchESPN or FoxSportsGO. So I still need a streaming box to use these apps.
- I have a Xiaomi Mi Box as well. Supposedly it outputs HDR. I had no luck engaging HDR in Netflix or Vudu. Anyone else use Mi Box?

Bottom Line:
The Vizio P65-C1 has outstanding picture quality; especially given the money I saved versus some other options. I literally paid half the price of the LG OLED B6. From that standpoint I am extremely satisfied. I think I'll be even more satisfied if Roku will support Dolbyvision in their next media streaming device. Just not fully sold on casting yet.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've played many HDR games on the P50, and Horizon Zero Dawn is exceptional in terms of presentation.

It seems to me that the developers of Horizon took extra care with the HDR look to get that pop, and hopefully future games will live up to the high bar it sets. But keep in mind most games were in development, and many released before, HDR in games was a thing. So titles like Gears might not really show off what your Vizio can do with HDR, or the results might be more subtle.

Hopefully future Xbox and PS4 games will follow Horizon's lead.
Is your PS4 set to 2160 RGB or YUV420? When I set my pro to RGB I mostly get no signal with the occasional picture flicker and I have tried multiple cables including monoprice certified 18gbps cables.

·
Registered
20,228 Posts
@JBran24 I don't believe the Mi Box supports HDR for Vudu (yet).

Xiaomi Mi Box

There is a Mi Box thread in the Networked Media Player section of the forum you may want to check out.

42341 - 42360 of 64785 Posts