AVS Forum banner

42381 - 42400 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Yeah I chatted with a an agent earlier, couldn't help me until I was at home with the set to troubleshoot. I have a claim number so I'll have to contact them again when I'm home. Just very disappointing.
Yea it stinks for sure. I've been through a couple sets. I would think a service call could fix it if it's just a connection issue in there.

...sent from my Axon7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
I am running 3.0.14.0 on a P65. I just checked Amazon HDR on my Roku Ultra. I am using Calibirated Dark with a 50 Backlight & Gamma 2.2... Sneaky Pete looks overly dark while bright but I haven't watched the show prior to this firmware. I checked Man In the High Castle which looked the same as with the earlier firmware, which is to say excellant. I am still watching the Grand Tour which looks a little more vivid with this latest firmware.
I just checked it out. I think it's just a dark show. I watched the first 15minutes of the first episode and every scene is set gloomy and dark purposely I believe. I looked at the SDR version and is was very similar. I don't think anything is wrong with it.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I am running 3.0.14.0 on a P65. I just checked Amazon HDR on my Roku Ultra. I am using Calibirated Dark with a 50 Backlight & Gamma 2.2... Sneaky Pete looks overly dark while bright but I haven't watched the show prior to this firmware. I checked Man In the High Castle which looked the same as with the earlier firmware, which is to say excellant. I am still watching the Grand Tour which looks a little more vivid with this latest firmware.
I just checked it out. I think it's just a dark show. I watched the first 15minutes of the first episode and every scene is set gloomy and dark purposely I believe. I looked at the SDR version and is was very similar. I don't think anything is wrong with it.

I've watched all but the last episode of Sneaky Pete in UHD and don't notice it being dark at all but I'm using the default "Standard" setting with 50% backlight.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah I chatted with a an agent earlier, couldn't help me until I was at home with the set to troubleshoot. I have a claim number so I'll have to contact them again when I'm home. Just very disappointing.
I had the same thing happen. It's a row of backlights that went out. They first sent a tech to try to change one of the boards, but that didn't fix it. They wound up sending me a replacement display and took back the defective one. Good luck, and I hope they just agree to send a replacement without having to waste your time with an attempt to change a board.

This was mine. Looks like mine was the row below yours.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
I've watched all but the last episode of Sneaky Pete in UHD and don't notice it being dark at all but I'm using the default "Standard" setting with 50% backlight.
Yea I agree it isn't too dark that something is wrong. I was just saying it's a darker show from what I watched scene wise in the first episode. I think it's fine.
I'll watch more now because it looks like a good show.
I had the same thing happen. It's a row of backlights that went out. They first sent a tech to try to change one of the boards, but that didn't fix it. They wound up sending me a replacement display and took back the defective one. Good luck, and I hope they just agree to send a replacement without having to waste your time with an attempt to change a board.

This was mine. Looks like mine was the row below yours.

Yea I doubt it's a board. I think it's a cable or connection to that row or something with the backlight itself.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yea it stinks for sure. I've been through a couple sets. I would think a service call could fix it if it's just a connection issue in there.

Is this a common thing? Did your sets keep having the same issue? That's worrying if so.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yea I agree it isn't too dark that something is wrong. I was just saying it's a darker show from what I watched scene wise in the first episode. I think it's fine.
I'll watch more now because it looks like a good show.

Yea I doubt it's a board. I think it's a cable or connection to that row or something with the backlight itself.
The tech said it was the panel itself. Since Vizio doesn't have techs replace panels, they opted to replace the display. The replacement has been great with zero issues so I'm extremely happy.

Like you said, these are the only two reports of this issue that I've seen here.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Is it possible that because the TV is mounted to the wall that this could happen? Or is it actually possible that eight or ten different HDMI cables that I tried some of which are Monoprice HDR certified premium would all have the same issue but a couple of them would have an occasional picture flickering on?
Can't imagine the mount would have anything to do with it, unless the connection is loose? Also, maybe one bad cable, perhaps two, could cause the issue, but if you've tried numerous cables with the same issue, that should rule out the cable. What you are describing sounds like a cable bandwidth problem, but I've had no problems with the Monoprice certified HDMI cable.

If you have the most recent Vizio firmware, PS4 firmware (4.50 I think?), using a 6 foot certified cable with a direct connection, and nothing else connected to your PS4 Pro ala PSVR, I'm stumped.

Good luck, I hope you solve this issue!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can't imagine the mount would have anything to do with it, unless the connection is loose? Also, maybe one bad cable, perhaps two, could cause the issue, but if you've tried numerous cables with the same issue, that should rule out the cable. What you are describing sounds like a cable bandwidth problem, but I've had no problems with the Monoprice certified HDMI cable.

If you have the most recent Vizio firmware, PS4 firmware (4.50 I think?), using a 6 foot certified cable with a direct connection, and nothing else connected to your PS4 Pro ala PSVR, I'm stumped.

Good luck, I hope you solve this issue!
Thanks, gonna call vizio soon to see if they can help if the newest cables I order don't work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you perform a factory reset in the display settings of the Smartcast app before applying my calibration? It needs to be done with every firmware change. I need to add that disclaimer.
Yep, two of them now (not directly for this the second time, but nonetheless.)

I think my TV is just a bit different. Most of my numbers are only off of yours by 1 or 2, or 0.1 in the case of the gamma, definitely within margin of expected difference for different LCDs.

·
Registered
665 Posts
That makes it practically useless. Adjusting the video for each individual movie is crazy. I can understand a minor tweak or two but for 99% of the time one setting for the input should be more than adequate. I really think it is something else going on with Netflix. The imagine is washed out and dull. If I disable HDR it actually looks much better, just not in HDR. A few searches show it was a common problem, but nothing pointed who was the culprit, Microsoft, Vizio, or Netflix.
And you have HDMI Color subsampling turned on for that input?
I have an Xbox One S connected to a P-65 and it looks fine with HDR. You must have something wrong.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Is this a common thing? Did your sets keep having the same issue? That's worrying if so.
You're the 2nd. Or third I've seen. I had a replacement arrive with a vertical one out. So no, I'd say its not common.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Well my 5th tv in 3 months gets delivered tomorrow. Say a prayer for me.
5th? WTF is going on?

Here was my experience....

1st 2 board swaps for split screen tearing and tone difference between the two halves.
2nd Rejected for a backlight string out.
3rd Rejected for physical damage and it still had a tone difference in the two halves.
4th Replaced for large pink spots/areas developing and viewable during snow sports.
5th Hopefully this is it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sneaky Pete looks overly dark while bright but I haven't watched the show prior to this firmware. I checked Man In the High Castle which looked the same as with the earlier firmware, which is to say excellant. I am still watching the Grand Tour which looks a little more vivid with this latest firmware.
Good point, I hadn't tried Man In the High Castle. MItHC season 2 episode 1 is better, still dimmer than its SDR (lowering gamma helps). Compared to Sneaky Pete its watchable, at least for the 5 minutes I watched (haven't watched season 1 yet). Again, this is all with Calibrated (all settings at default except when I'm playing with Gamma).

I just double checked, and Sneaky Pete episode 1 is OK for me too. You shouldn't jump ahead (spoilers in the scenes) but s1e8, for example, is much dimmer in HDR. Compare the living room scene starting around 1:23 in HDR and SDR. In SDR the close up a 1:31 shows the pattern and folds of the light-on-dark curtains over the actress's left shoulder. In HDR the pattern is almost gone, and the scene overall is much more washed out. Her hair for example, has less detail as well. If I use a 1.8 gamma on the HDR source it starts to come closer to the SDR brightness.

To me it still looks like Amazon's HDR is dimmer/darker than anything on offer from Netflix, but its true that Sneaky Pete may have made artistic choices to make the show darker still than average.

For now, I think my solution is going to have to be to use the Roku (without HDR) for Amazon and the Shield for Netflix.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Compare the living room scene starting around 1:23 in HDR and SDR. In SDR the close up a 1:31 shows the pattern and folds of the light-on-dark curtains over the actress's left shoulder. In HDR the pattern is almost gone, and the scene overall is much more washed out. Her hair for example, has less detail as well.
Shooting with a cell phone camera is probably pointless, but here's two shots for comparison. For convenience I used two different devices (Roku and Shield) but the effect is similar if I change a single device between SDR and HDR. Again, this is Calibrated, all settings at default. In these shots the camera pulls the background HDR details up, its even worse in person.

Attachments

42381 - 42400 of 64785 Posts