AVS Forum banner

42601 - 42620 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can't imagine the mount would have anything to do with it, unless the connection is loose? Also, maybe one bad cable, perhaps two, could cause the issue, but if you've tried numerous cables with the same issue, that should rule out the cable. What you are describing sounds like a cable bandwidth problem, but I've had no problems with the Monoprice certified HDMI cable.

If you have the most recent Vizio firmware, PS4 firmware (4.50 I think?), using a 6 foot certified cable with a direct connection, and nothing else connected to your PS4 Pro ala PSVR, I'm stumped.

Good luck, I hope you solve this issue!
So some new information on my end. I went away for the weekend and left the TV Unplugged for 2 days. When I came back, 2160RGB worked for like 10 minutes straight. Then the on and off flickering started again. Over time it seemed to get worse, like at first every 10 seconds. Now its mostly no signal again with the occasional showing the picture flicker. The only reason I got this TV was because of the wide color gamut, if I can't use it I should return it but I don't want the hassle if this can be fixed. I don't know what else to try though and don't understand why leaving the TV unplugged for a couple of days would let it work correctly for a few minutes.

Hdcp 1.4 doesn't make a difference, over 10 cables including multiple monoprice certified premium HDR cables doesn't work, ports 1-4 no difference. Limited, full, automatic, 2160p RGB, nothing gets a steady picture with subsampling on and 2160p RGB except I can get 10 minutes of picture by unplugging the TV for 2 days.

Its frustrating and time wasting. I have to use YUV420 to get a picture with subsampling on and that's not 10 bit color, RGB is. Is there anyway to force a firmware flash if I am already on 3.014?

·
Registered
615 Posts
So some new information on my end. I went away for the weekend and left the TV Unplugged for 2 days. When I came back, 2160RGB worked for like 10 minutes straight. Then the on and off flickering started again. Over time it seemed to get worse, like at first every 10 seconds. Now its mostly no signal again with the occasional showing the picture flicker. The only reason I got this TV was because of the wide color gamut, if I can't use it I should return it but I don't want the hassle if this can be fixed. I don't know what else to try though and don't understand why leaving the TV unplugged for a couple of days would let it work correctly for a few minutes.

Hdcp 1.4 doesn't make a difference, over 10 cables including multiple monoprice certified premium HDR cables doesn't work, ports 1-4 no difference. Limited, full, automatic, 2160p RGB, nothing gets a steady picture with subsampling on and 2160p RGB except I can get 10 minutes of picture by unplugging the TV for 2 days.

Its frustrating and time wasting. I have to use YUV420 to get a picture with subsampling on and that's not 10 bit color, RGB is. Is there anyway to force a firmware flash if I am already on 3.014?
You are having HDMI cable problems, when you switch to 4K RGB the bandwidth goes up to 18Ghz, when you switch to YUV420 the bandwidth goes down and the cables you are using can handle it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You are having HDMI cable problems, when you switch to 4K RGB the bandwidth goes up to 18Ghz, when you switch to YUV420 the bandwidth goes down and the cables you are using can handle it.
I am up to over 10 cables I have tried, including 4 different monoprice certified premium hdmi cables

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/15428

I tried 2 more new cables, Tera Grand, from Amazon that had reviews that said it worked for their ps4 pro, same result.

I struggle to believe I can have more than 10 cables all not support 18gbps properly when half of them are certified to work with them, but I am still trying because if I saw a friends TV act this way I would tell them swap HDMI cable.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I am up to over 10 cables I have tried, including 4 different monoprice certified premium hdmi cables

I tried 2 more new cables, Tera Grand, from Amazon that had reviews that said it worked for their ps4 pro, same result.

I struggle to believe I can have more than 10 cables all not support 18gbps properly when half of them are certified to work with them, but I am still trying because if I saw a friends TV act this way I would tell them swap HDMI cable.
I have these and they work fine. Maybe buy one and check it out
Mediabridge HDMI Cable (6 Feet) Supports [email protected], High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready - UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019EHU8G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_udi2ybNA2V2RS

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts

The problem is that 95% of the so called Certified Premium cables on the market cannot handle a 18Ghz video signal, some will if they are short enough but at that bandwidth once you get over 6 feet you chances of them working properly as the cables get longer and any twists or bends in the cable can cause problems too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Any thoughts on what would be causing this? I'm concerned that this is showing something that is wrong with the TV that I just haven't seen in other sources yet and it may be a matter of time.
This happens to me as well, not just in retro gaming. Happens often when I'm playing something in 120hz mode or using clear action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
The problem is that 95% of the so called Certified Premium cables on the market cannot handle a 18Ghz video signal, some will if they are short enough but at that bandwidth once you get over 6 feet you chances of them working properly as the cables get longer and any twists or bends in the cable can cause problems too.
So its possible monoprice sent me 5 defective certified premium cables? They work for a very short period of time after I unplug and replug the TV today, but starts going in and out quickly and the drop outs get worse and worse until its mostly no signal.

·
Registered
615 Posts
So its possible monoprice sent me 5 defective certified premium cables? They work for a very short period of time after I unplug and replug the TV today, but starts going in and out quickly and the drop outs get worse and worse until its mostly no signal.
How long are the cables?

They may not be defective, at 18Ghz they are running at the absolute limit of what HDMI 2.0 is capable of handling. Any twist or bend in the cable at that speed can cause it to fail, plus if they are longer then 6 feet the problems get worse with every foot longer in cable length.

If you are attempting 4K RGB at 12bit, that exceeds 18Ghz and is not supported by HDMI 2.0 and no cable will work properly.

·
Registered
223 Posts
How long are the cables?

They may not be defective, at 18Ghz they are running at the absolute limit of what HDMI 2.0 is capable of handling. Any twist or bend in the cable at that speed can cause it to fail, plus if they are longer then 6 feet the problems get worse with every foot longer in cable length.

If you are attempting 4K RGB at 12bit, that exceeds 18Ghz and is not supported by HDMI 2.0 and no cable will work properly.
Three are 6 feet and two are 3 feet. None of the cables I have tried are more than 6 feet. I have tried over 10 cables, 7 are certified premium 5 of those are mono price. I even put my PS4 pro on my bed to ensure the cable was not curved or bent. I will try the media bridge cable and if that doesn't work I am calling Vizio. The PS4 is supposed to be set to 2160p RGB when connected to the TV. I must force it to YUV420 in order to get a constant picture with subsampling turned on.

Using automatic resolution the PS4 switches to 2160p RGB, so it knows it should work, but I get mostly no signal. On 8 different certified cables with a picture sometimes especially after unplugging the TV for a little bit. The other cables I have mostly never get any picture ever. When the TV was Unplugged for 2 days I got a constant picture on RGB for 10 minutes straight before it started cutting out again. When I unplug it for 5 minutes I get a picture for about 15 seconds before it starts to cut out

·
Registered
615 Posts
Three are 6 feet and two are 3 feet. None of the cables I have tried are more than 6 feet. I have tried over 10 cables, 7 are certified premium 5 of those are mono price. I even put my PS4 pro on my bed to ensure the cable was not curved or bent. I will try the media bridge cable and if that doesn't work I am calling Vizio. The PS4 is supposed to be set to 2160p RGB when connected to the TV. I must force it to YUV420 in order to get a constant picture with subsampling turned on.

Using automatic resolution the PS4 switches to 2160p RGB, so it knows it should work, but I get mostly no signal. On 8 different certified cables with a picture sometimes especially after unplugging the TV for a little bit. The other cables I have mostly never get any picture ever. When the TV was Unplugged for 2 days I got a constant picture on RGB for 10 minutes straight before it started cutting out again. When I unplug it for 5 minutes I get a picture for about 15 seconds before it starts to cut out
You should never use cables shorter then 6 feet, that can cause a lot of other problems.

Try 4K RGB 8 bit, if that works then you have a 95% chance that the HDMI cable is the problem.

At 10 bit and higher you are at the absolute maximum limit of what HDMI 2.0 can handle and it is hard to get things to work consistently at that speed, if you do you are lucky, most of the time it will be marginal at that speed and will be very sensitive to anything bothering the video signal.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I don't want compare R series with P55 IPS , I want compare IPS + 384 FALD zones VS VA + 128 zones .

Is really increase the number FALD zones with IPS panel will beat VA + 128 zones and give us better black levels ?
An IPS panel will always be at a disadvantage over VA in blacks, no matter the amount of zones. The limited native contrast will make it difficult to reproduce near black scenes well.

Haha. I did 10% alz off then 10% alz on and the uniformity test. All the patterns looked fine except for the stupid bars. I can notice it now when the camera pans across a scene as well.
I'd say you should contact Vizio for a replacement. It seems that some bands of LEDs are brighter than other bands, causing this football field effect.

I just noticed today that the tablet that came with my P55 has a bulge in the back of the case. I noticed it when I put it on the dock and it would not sit flat.
That's a bad battery, note that bulging lithium-ion batteries could spontaneously ignite (and they burn really hot, youtube it) due to stress put on the battery itself. I'd turn it off and keep it in a place where it can't start a fire until it's replaced, and away from people.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You should never use cables shorter then 6 feet, that can cause a lot of other problems.

Try 4K RGB 8 bit, if that works then you have a 95% chance that the HDMI cable is the problem.

At 10 bit and higher you are at the absolute maximum limit of what HDMI 2.0 can handle and it is hard to get things to work consistently at that speed, if you do you are lucky, most of the time it will be marginal at that speed and will be very sensitive to anything bothering the video signal.
How do I know which is 8 bit and 10 bit? The PS4 Pro only lets me choose 2160p YUV420 or 2160p RGB. YUV420 works. RGB is the problem but its supposed to work and be the default and the PS4 can see the TV supports it. Any suggestions I can try from my mibox? I have amazon prime and hulu but not netflix.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Has anyone had problems turning on their display from the SmartCast app in iOS? I know this was a problem before, thought it had been fixed, but I just got a new iPad and can't consistently turn the display on from the SmartCast app. I set up the TV as a new device when I first installed the app and it paired with the display fine, i.e. I held my iPad near the Vizio logo when prompted and it did its thing...so Bluetooth is working fine. Not a huge deal but thought I might be missing something.

·
Registered
615 Posts
How do I know which is 8 bit and 10 bit? The PS4 Pro only lets me choose 2160p YUV420 or 2160p RGB. YUV420 works. RGB is the problem but its supposed to work and be the default and the PS4 can see the TV supports it. Any suggestions I can try from my mibox? I have amazon prime and hulu but not netflix.
If the PS4 Pro is not capable of manually setting the bit level of the RGB output then you will need to try a device that can, the problem is that 4K RGB 10 bit may work perfectly from another device and not work with the PS4, HDMI 4K video is very picky and just because it works with one device there is no way to know if the same signal will with another.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If the PS4 Pro is not capable of manually setting the bit level of the RGB output then you will need to try a device that can, the problem is that 4K RGB 10 bit may work perfectly from another device and not work with the PS4, HDMI 4K video is very picky and just because it works with one device there is no way to know if the same signal will with another.
Thanks for all the help and insight. I would imagine many consumers and ps4 pro buyers are sold on the higher quality of HDR and never even once learn about needing content or turning on UHD or subsampling.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks for all the help and insight. I would imagine many consumers and ps4 pro buyers are sold on the higher quality of HDR and never even once learn about needing content or turning on UHD or subsampling.
The problem is that everyone is used to just plugging in an HDMI cable and having it work, this was true with HD video for the most part, ARC and CEC always were flaky and only worked part of the time.

With the advent of 4K, Wide Color Gamet and HDR this has pushed HDMI 2.0 to it's limit and a lot of things don't work well together.

Now everyone is getting excited about HDMI 2.1 but that is going to be a lot worse, technology can barely make an 18Ghz video signal work and now they are going to try and make HDMI 2.1 run at 48Ghz and be backward compatible with HDMI 2.0. Even if they limit it to a 3 foot cable it is going to be hell try to make it work properly.

·
Banned
585 Posts

Have you tried blue jeans ? I tried close to 8 different brands before blue jeans and they are the only ones that have worked for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42601 - 42620 of 64785 Posts