AVS Forum banner

43001 - 43020 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It's attached to a 2014 imac running boot camp. I tried various high speed cables and I have sub sampling on. Also renamed HDMI-1 to PC but no luck.

The card is capable of running 4k @ 60hz see nvidia press released

B) DisplayPort 1.2

DisplayPort can support 4K @ 60Hz using Multi-Stream Transport(MST). The graphics card provides signals for multiple displays but these are multiplexed on a single cable. Computer monitors such as the ASUS PQ321Q 31.5-in 4K 60 Hz Tiled Monitor take input using this format.
NVIDIA GPU support for 4K Resolutions

All GeForce GTX 600 and 700 series GPUs can support 4K resolutions through DisplayPort. The NVIDIA driver automatically detects 4K 60Hz tiled format, so no special user set up is required. In order to power games at this resolution with settings turned up NVIDIA recommends GTX 780 SLI or better.
The tv is not a MST. Your macbook does not support 4k 60hz without using MST. It says right on the apple website that MST is required for 60hz.
Some people who have used bootcamp to install windows 10 on the macbook have been able to get it to do higher than 30hz but they had to do so using Nvidia control Panel Custom Res settings. But even then most people couldn't get a picture at 60hz they had to lower it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was hoping someone could help me with running this TV at 4k 60hz 4:4:4 in FULL RGB. I've tried everything for over a month, New Cables, New Display Ports ETC and nothing has worked.

I currently own the P65-C1, I am connecting it to my PC running a GTX 775 GPU via Display Port 1.2 to HDMI cable connecting to HDMI-1 on the TV but no matter what display port to HDMI converter or High Definition HDMI Cable I use I cannot get NATIVE 4k @60hz in either RGB, YCbCr422 or YCbCr444 in the Nvidia Control Panel See Picture attached. The most I can get is 4k @ 30hz in any of those output color format settings. Also worth noting that none of these color formats are able to run 8-bpc in FULL (Output dynamic Range) as the TV goes black if I enable it and then resets back to limited and that is after enabling Full Dynamic Range in the Video Color settings

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Your problem is most likely the HDMI cable, HDMI 2.0 has a maximum bandwidth of 18Ghz.

4k 60hz 4:4:4 RGB video has a bandwidth higher then 18Ghz and is not supported by HDMI 2.0, 95% of the so called Premium Certified HDMI cables cannot support 18Ghz even though they are supposed to, so finding a cable that will work properly at a bandwidth higher then 18Ghz is going to be very hard.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just tested the C6 and Netflix works fine with DV. Got the badge right away. Went downstairs and tried the Vizio and no HDR
So it seems Netflix has a problem specific to Vizio... I wonder how we could possibly get that fixed... probably need Vizio to try to work it out with them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ever since the last firmware update, ive been having several issues. Just tried factory resetting it via the smartcast app yesterday. So far, SOME of it has cleared up. The app hasn't yet "forgotten" about my TV. However, i still get random "network connection lost" messages on screen while casting. Ive tried different network cables, and have actually connected it to two different routers and still have that problem. I decided to switch to wireless. TV absolutely refused to connect to me 5ghz network. It tries, but ultimately fails. I have it connected to my 2.4ghz network, which is fine i guess. The test network speed via the smartcast app doesn't really seem to work anymore either. It tested once and saw about 17mbps. I have a 1gbps internet service, in which i regularly get 940mbps+ up and down on wired, and about 400mbps up/down on wireless. Everything seems to play just fine, so im just assuming the connection test results just aren't good. I didn't get extensive testing in since switching to wireless, but in the hour i used it i didn't get a network connection message.

Anyone have trouble getting connected to a 5ghz network or with a cable? Also, is there any difference in doing the factory reset via the app vs the button combination on the TV itsself?
I initially had "connection lost" issues with my P75-C1 on my 5GHz network; every time I turned the TV on I'd have to re-pair. I first tried the two back-panel button resets, neither of which made a difference. However, performing the reset through the SmartCast app did the trick.

I did subsequently have a brief period where my TV lost the 5GHz network, but that appears to have been related to my router's firmware. I'm using a Netgear R9000 and the latest beta firmware (installed a week ago) has been rock solid.

·
Banned
585 Posts
It's attached to a 2014 imac running boot camp. I tried various high speed cables and I have sub sampling on. Also renamed HDMI-1 to PC but no luck.

B) DisplayPort 1.2

DisplayPort can support 4K @ 60Hz using Multi-Stream Transport(MST). The graphics card provides signals for multiple displays but these are multiplexed on a single cable. Computer monitors such as the ASUS PQ321Q 31.5-in 4K 60 Hz Tiled Monitor take input using this format.

All GeForce GTX 600 and 700 series GPUs can support 4K resolutions through DisplayPort. The NVIDIA driver automatically detects 4K 60Hz tiled format, so no special user set up is required. In order to power games at this resolution with settings turned up NVIDIA recommends GTX 780 SLI or better.

What are you trying to do with such an old graphics card ? Just display it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yup, third one. Two reasons why I haven't given up: 1) All the good reviews and all the satisfied owners on this thread without problems, 2) I can't afford an LG OLED, which I think is the only competition in terms of PQ. Like I said, I'm hopeful that this is the one because the panel is phenomenal and there haven't been any hiccups yet.

I was talking with a buddy of mine about my ordeal with the TV. He brought up a good point: so many products these days are rushed out into the market even if they're not ready. The company that makes them doesn't want to lose money to competition and needs to start making money from the product to cover production costs. Unfortunately in the rush I guess there isn't enough testing sometimes. Or, in Vizio's case, maybe not enough money spent on testing in the first place. How else can they get these otherwise high quality units out for such a (relatively) cheap price?

Anyhow, I hope you (and I) end up with a unit that works for years to come.
Thought I already responded to this on Tapatalk on my phone, but I guess that didn't work....

Anyways, the gist was, I hope we get long-lasting sets soon, too! I'm betting yours will work out if it has this long. Let me know if it doesn't, though, and I'll let you and the others in here with freezing problems know how my second set goes.

By the way, it's supposed to arrive in a week. I'm a little worried that somehow Vizio will try to get out of the warranty if it is defective a bit after arriving. When on the phone with the Vizio rep, he told me to make sure to test it before the delivery people left, because if it had problems after they had left, it "might interfere with the warranty," but I assume this meant problems that would be immediately noticeable. In any case, too, I also got the Best Buy 2-year warranty, so I imagine that's when that would come in handy.

And you're right on Vizio TVs being cheap, meaning they have to cut corners somewhere. As I've said before, though, my old TV was a Samsung, and it took 3 tries to get it perfect, like with yours. But also, the problems were nowhere near as bad as they have been with this Vizio.

·
Registered
431 Posts

B) DisplayPort 1.2

Based on this article it would seem your iMac should support 4K @60Hz single stream if you are on OS X Yosemite or later. I'm not sure though because the Nvidia info you posted just says 60Hz for multi-stream transport and doesn't mention single stream (the TV isn't a MST device). Anyway, the HDMI port on the computer only supports 4K @ 30Hz. To get 60Hz you'll probably need an adapter like this and a premium certified HDMI cable. That is what I use with my laptop and its 970M card to get 4K @60Hz.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Iron Fist - DV HDR - YES - It's BAAAAAAACK!

Yes. This has been going on over a month now.
On a whim this morning, I tried loading the HDR versions Iron Fist and low-and-behold they are back in their full Dolby Vision HDR glory. Obviously, Netflix must have fixed something at their end because it wasn't the apps; it worked using both the iOS app and Android, and in fact there's an update to the iOS version that I haven't installed yet. The Android version updated a few days ago which at the time had not fixed the problem. It wasn't the TV as the last firmware update was weeks before this issue showed up.

Regardless, good news for those who care.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are early versions of the p series experiencing screen freezes? I ask because my new (March 2017)p series was having screen freezes from the first day of use. I called vizio right away, and they had me do a factory reset. The next day I still had screen freezes, so I called vizio again, and they offered to send a tech to repair and or replace parts. As soon as part's arrive, they will schedule me. But, if they change parts that are from the same batch as those used to build my set, will I just be facing the same issue again? After I thought about it, why are some people getting their sets replaced, and mine repaired? I'll basically end up with a refurbished unit. If I return mine to Costco, I can just order a brand new set, or not. I'm conflicted. I want to give vizio a chance to fix my set, but don't want to keep dealing with the same thing as some others have. I've got a 90 day return window. Ironically, I just took a citicard offer from Costco that adds two years warranty to TV's purchased with that card. Hmmmm

·
Registered
7 Posts
On a whim this morning, I tried loading the HDR versions Iron Fist and low-and-behold they are back in their full Dolby Vision HDR glory. Obviously, Netflix must have fixed something at their end because it wasn't the apps; it worked using both the iOS app and Android, and in fact there's an update to the iOS version that I haven't installed yet. The Android version updated a few days ago which at the time had not fixed the problem. It wasn't the TV as the last firmware update was weeks before this issue showed up.

Regardless, good news for those who care.
Good to hear. I had given up watching them until it came back, so now, back on the horse! Thanks for lookin' out.:cool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Are early versions of the p series experiencing screen freezes? I ask because my new (March 2017)p series was having screen freezes from the first day of use. I called vizio right away, and they had me do a factory reset. The next day I still had screen freezes, so I called vizio again, and they offered to send a tech to repair and or replace parts. As soon as part's arrive, they will schedule me. But, if they change parts that are from the same batch as those used to build my set, will I just be facing the same issue again? After I thought about it, why are some people getting their sets replaced, and mine repaired? I'll basically end up with a refurbished unit. If I return mine to Costco, I can just order a brand new set, or not. I'm conflicted. I want to give vizio a chance to fix my set, but don't want to keep dealing with the same thing as some others have. I've got a 90 day return window. Ironically, I just took a citicard offer from Costco that adds two years warranty to TV's purchased with that card. Hmmmm
Got my P65 in August '16, never experienced screen freezes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think Vizio totally knows what's going on. The call center people play dumb. I asked them if they had many similar complaints and of course they say no. Probably in the script.

It does seem that more people are experiencing this problem recently, but there are posts from the middle of 2016 in this thread complaining of freezing. I had the same thought about a new supplier of some component that isn't playing nicely. I don't think it's a device connection problem because I'm not using any HDMI inputs. Only thing I'm using is digital audio out.

At any rate, I hope Vizio figures it out and fixes it for their own reputation's sake. If my third unit ends up crapping out I'll be sure to let any of my friends who are buying a new TV know about my experience.
Same problem with my 2 months old P65. Started rebooting randomly 2 weeks ago, chromecast stopped working, tablet lost comms with the TV, no more wifi and no way to establish a link between them Without freezing the TV anymore.

I've spent 1 hour online with visio live chat and they ended up saying that they would ship me a new unit. I should receive it on Friday so we'll see how it goes from there....

I was very satisfied so far but not so sure anymore...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same problem with my 2 months old P65. Started rebooting randomly 2 weeks ago, chromecast stopped working, tablet lost comms with the TV, no more wifi and no way to establish a link between them Without freezing the TV anymore.

I've spent 1 hour online with visio live chat and they ended up saying that they would ship me a new unit. I should receive it on Friday so we'll see how it goes from there....

I was very satisfied so far but not so sure anymore...
I think, as someone pointed out, that these freezes and reboots may be due to newer components, which would explain why early units are not reporting these same issues. I should say that over the last 3 days I have not had any issues that were occurring during the previous week on a regular basis. I have also connected only my DirecTV box and a roku via HDMI directly to the vizio. Audio is going to my avr via optical

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I'm not sure if your video card supports it or not, however my 970 works without issues. I can't test or screen shot right now as I'm at work but I know mine is working fine. I'm just using a hdmi cable with no adapter from my video card to my tv though
As someone already mentioned, you need an active DP to HDMI adapter, such as that Club3D one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your problem is most likely the HDMI cable, HDMI 2.0 has a maximum bandwidth of 18Ghz.

4k 60hz 4:4:4 RGB video has a bandwidth higher then 18Ghz and is not supported by HDMI 2.0, 95% of the so called Premium Certified HDMI cables cannot support 18Ghz even though they are supposed to, so finding a cable that will work properly at a bandwidth higher then 18Ghz is going to be very hard.
This is incorrect, HDR video streams cannot fit in 18 GHz hence the max chroma resolution of 4:2:2 for HDR 10 over HDMI 2.0, but plain old 8 bit RGB works just fine at 60 Hz 4K. I should know, I run my computer on that all the time and have verified with the purple/pink 4:4:4 image test repeatedly. HDMI subsampling must be enabled. All Premium Certified cables will work at that resolution unless the cable is defective.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I commented before they did. Also maybe on a mobile gpu, not on my desktop version you don't
Right, but you have a 975 and the poster has a 775, which is much older.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I'm guessing it's the luck of the draw in terms of who you talk to at Vizio with getting your TV serviced vs. replaced. The first time I called Vizio they just gave me a few tips, then the next time I called, I told them all the steps I'd taken to determine it was the TV and not my equipment. So the rep said on that second call that he could tell it was just a faulty TV. And yes I've had freezing problems since day 1 or very close to it. It must be P-series TVs (seems like only 65" models) manufactured in the last month or two.

I would say give them a chance to fix it with this repairman, and if that doesn't work, I'd return it to Costco for a new model, but my fear is all new models have these issues. Hopefully Vizio is rectifying this. It makes me quite angry, to be honest. I'm jealous of all of the old owners of this TV who don't have to go through with the hassle of all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
For the P55 owners. How is the viewing angle's from the sides? I typically lay down on the couch when I watch the TV and I notice the fading in the KS8000. Debating exchanging the TV for a P55.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Just got Roku Premiere plus and I'm getting error that HDMI input doesn't support HDCP 2.2 any suggestions to get around this? I have P65 with latest firmware and SubSampling is turned on for the input. Test screens shows up fine and when I say ok to proceed that's when I get the error. Tried searching but no avail. Also trying in Roku forum but wanted to see if was Visio issue.....

**Update** Nevermind solved cable issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

43001 - 43020 of 64785 Posts