AVS Forum banner

56581 - 56600 of 64783 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ruh-Roh!

Fuh, I don't like these HORROR stories I'm reading. Today, I just bought a P65-E1 from Costco! Dang!! :eek:

Reactions: leojj25

·
Registered
158 Posts
PS: It won't be hooked up to Comcast. I just "Cut The Cord" 3 weeks ago. I only have internet. On the set I had, i did everything thru the PC I have. I watched my Netflix, Prime, Browsing, etc. I won't be watching any 4K sources. I will be getting a Xbox One X soon. That will be my sole 4K source for now. And only while gaming.

Any advice besides "TAKE IT BACK NOW!!!!!!!!!" ?

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Vizio’s attitude toward the white line issue is very, very sad to see. It’s amazing how much influence one person (Matt) can have on the reputation of an entire company.

I bought two P-series sets (both C1s thankfully) based largely on the awesome support from Matt. I just assumed that his attitude permeated throughout the whole company. I guess not. I’d sure love to know why he left.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes, but how many times Costco will allow you to return items without saying enough is enough? Last year I returned 4 Vizio 65P, 3 lg oleds 1 samsung ks8500 and 1 samsung mu8000. All were defective with different issues. The last Vizio I purchased at Costco last September was also defective and since then, Vizio replaced it 5 times because of the white line issue.....and I just purchased from Costco the 65M series hopping no more white line and waiting delivery and I am already considering returning it because I am hearing local dimming issues since the last FW release.....Because I am sold on the Vizio pic quality when it works and for its price point, I will probably keep returning until I am fully satisfied with the product I purchase. I am already blacklisted at bestbuy.....:)

Wow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm completely disenchanted with Vizio as well by this stage.

My next TV, whenever or whatever that is, will almost certainly be a different brand. The problem for me is that I want a 75'' and the price difference is too great. Time will tell I guess. I've got the white lines since the last update, a big thick yellow one, and the top left is magenta. These are minor issues for me compared to Vizio rendering my calibration obsolete, but it's not just one thing.

-Vader

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Hi guys. I know this is an owners only thread and am hoping I'll get a pass. I helped a friend of mine choose a new 4k tv (I'm kinda the resident tv guy amongst my friends) and we ended up with a 65 inch 2016 Vizio P Series. I was a long time vizio owner until I bought my first Sony 4k set. My question is regarding playing mkv files. Is there a way to plug an external drive into the tv and play mkv files?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Man, I really feel for you guys. I picked my P65 the first week it was released and the only issue I have ever had with it was CEC not playing nicely with my Denon receiver. It's been almost 2 years now and I'm quite happy with it - obviously I am one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Vizio’s attitude toward the white line issue is very, very sad to see. It’s amazing how much influence one person (Matt) can have on the reputation of an entire company.

I bought two P-series sets (both C1s thankfully) based largely on the awesome support from Matt. I just assumed that his attitude permeated throughout the whole company. I guess not. I’d sure love to know why he left.
I am as frustrated as the next person, but how many TVs does Vizio sell? How many people then have the white line issues and then how many actually call support wit it? A problem as intermittent as this is difficult to fix. They only recently have sets where they can see the issue, let alone figure out how to reproduce it and fix it. These TVs today are very complex devices. I actually wish someone would offer a straight monitor or a way to disable all on board apps and just focus on image processing. Even then with all the HDR formats and such they are still complicated devices. My wife's Sony X900E has rebooted twice in the last week ever since I started using a Roku Ultra on it, before that 4 weeks it was rock solid.

Also look at all the "CES was a bust for TVs this year" comments. Consumers are demanding faster innovations and while the 2018 TVs are among the best every to be produced many people are not happy as many of them are just minor incremental upgrades over the 2017s. We can;t have it both ways, we can not expect the latest and greatest features being implemented at light speed and then not expect problems.

Vizio can not just come out and say we have a white line issue until they have some statistics and failing units to back that up. As much as we would like to think our voices here carry a lot of weight they do not. Yes we are vocal and social media posting can influence other buyers and can be a resources for manufacturers to utilize, but there are numerous forums and they can not participate in all of them.

That all said I was ready to call it a day and switch to a Sony X900E (edge bleeding, blooming and all) until it rebooted twice in the last few days on the Roku. To me Vizio has been rather supportive, find me another TV company that will swap a TV 5 times or that when you call you get US based support folks? Yes they can handle it better, but for now we have to decide which set of compromises we each want to deal with.

I do not blame anyone that gives up and moves on, but just know every TV has trade-offs.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hi guys. I know this is an owners only thread and am hoping I'll get a pass. I helped a friend of mine choose a new 4k tv (I'm kinda the resident tv guy amongst my friends) and we ended up with a 65 inch 2016 Vizio P Series. I was a long time vizio owner until I bought my first Sony 4k set. My question is regarding playing mkv files. Is there a way to plug an external drive into the tv and play mkv files?
It will work but mkv files are totally hit or miss. Some times they work, others not. Even directly on PC some of those files dont want to work right.
Not sure what the exact file specs needed are for Vizio

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It is pretty crazy when you think about it. Sure, we all know that no TV is perfect, but it seems that right now, NO TV works even properly or without defects. I even hear that those godly OLEDs can have major uniformity issues and glitches. A TV, today, is a hot mess that almost works and you simply choose which issue you are willing to live with!

·
Registered
380 Posts

You are lucky toonj64 replied before @pwishart came here and read you the riot act

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got my replacement for a busted up P65-C1 refurb I bought in December. The replacement is an E1. I already got the white line 2-3 times since yesterday. It's not enough and doesn't stay on the screen long enough to be bothersome yet but I will be contacting Vizio, probably via Facebook or Twitter so it is more public. I do have to say the picture is gorgeous, and that's coming from a Samsung and Panasonic plasma owner. This is also replacing an M60 which was inferior compared to this. I do have to say I had the busted P65-C1 for two weeks and never saw the white line.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I am as frustrated as the next person, but how many TVs does Vizio sell? How many people then have the white line issues and then how many actually call support wit it? A problem as intermittent as this is difficult to fix. They only recently have sets where they can see the issue, let alone figure out how to reproduce it and fix it. These TVs today are very complex devices. I actually wish someone would offer a straight monitor or a way to disable all on board apps and just focus on image processing. Even then with all the HDR formats and such they are still complicated devices. My wife's Sony X900E has rebooted twice in the last week ever since I started using a Roku Ultra on it, before that 4 weeks it was rock solid.

Also look at all the "CES was a bust for TVs this year" comments. Consumers are demanding faster innovations and while the 2018 TVs are among the best every to be produced many people are not happy as many of them are just minor incremental upgrades over the 2017s. We can;t have it both ways, we can not expect the latest and greatest features being implemented at light speed and then not expect problems.

Vizio can not just come out and say we have a white line issue until they have some statistics and failing units to back that up. As much as we would like to think our voices here carry a lot of weight they do not. Yes we are vocal and social media posting can influence other buyers and can be a resources for manufacturers to utilize, but there are numerous forums and they can not participate in all of them.

That all said I was ready to call it a day and switch to a Sony X900E (edge bleeding, blooming and all) until it rebooted twice in the last few days on the Roku. To me Vizio has been rather supportive, find me another TV company that will swap a TV 5 times or that when you call you get US based support folks? Yes they can handle it better, but for now we have to decide which set of compromises we each want to deal with.

I do not blame anyone that gives up and moves on, but just know every TV has trade-offs.
I get all that, but when Matt was around he'd give the community direct feedback and would keep us all up to date on any and all issues. Even if he didn't have ETA for a particular issue, he'd still keep us up to date. Now - it's crickets, or obfuscation, or deleted Reddit posts, and so on. The customer support Matt provided set a really high bar and gave Vizio a huge advantage relative to other manufacturers. Vizio doesn't have the luxury of a well-established name (like "Sony" or "Samsung") to lean on. Now that Matt is gone and that direct customer feedback has dried up, it's a lot tougher to spend a big chunk of change with a second-tier manufacturer like Vizio than it is to spend a little more and go with a more established brand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chatted with Vizio and they're sending a 3rd replacement TV to address the white line issue. I'm lucky that I work from home, so it's not too much of an intrusion to have someone come to pick up and deliver the new TV.

While I was chatting with support, I brought up another issue.

With the factory installed firmware (3.3.18.6) I was able to change Judder and Motion Blur on all modes. After updating to 3.4.8.15, sometimes one or the other was not available via the onscreen menu (via regular remote). However, using the Smartcast app on my iPhone, these options reappeared (and are adjustable).

I asked support about this, and they said the features were removed from the internal smartcast app, but couldn't tell me why the features had been removed, especially since they are accessible with the iPhone app.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chatted with Vizio and they're sending a 3rd replacement TV to address the white line issue. I'm lucky that I work from home, so it's not too much of an intrusion to have someone come to pick up and deliver the new TV.

With the factory installed firmware (3.3.18.6) I was able to change Judder and Motion Blur on all modes. After updating to 3.4.8.15, sometimes one or the other was not available via the onscreen menu (via regular remote). However, using the Smartcast app on my iPhone, these options reappeared (and are adjustable).

I asked support about this, and they said the features were removed from the internal smartcast app, but couldn't tell me why the features had been removed, especially since they are accessible with the iPhone app.
It won't address the white line issue. You're wasting your time.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts

What a waste of money. They are swapping displays like its nothing. :rolleyes:

Judder should not be available when you are watching 60fps content. That's the reason its grayed out.... Same goes for 24/30fps content, Blur does nothing so it should be grayed out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What a waste of money. They are swapping displays like its nothing. :rolleyes:

Judder should not be available when you are watching 60fps content. That's the reason its grayed out.... Same goes for 24/30fps content, Blur does nothing so it should be grayed out.
Thanks for that explanation. Makes sense now!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is the White-Line issue at startup, full time, in certain viewing modes or apps. I don't have a car. My set arrived yesterday. What does the white line issue look like? And does it go away on it's on? I'm unboxing setting up my P65-E1 today. Is there anything I should, or shouldn't do during the set up?

56581 - 56600 of 64783 Posts