AVS Forum banner

63461 - 63480 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just the main board.

There were some very momentary periods of screen “corruption” when everything became jumbled. Over a matter of days the short bursts became more common, and at first I thought it might be a HDMI handshake issue. But it persisted even when forcing lower bandwidth video streams.

Very quickly the situation deteriorated with more frequent glitches, and even some reboots, and then the screen went black and the tv appeared non-responsive.

The USB ports, however, remained powered so I made the calculated assumption that the main board was still providing current. It was a good presumption to try the main board first. Been working fine ever since.
This is great information. I wonder if all the 2016 TV start to fail if Vizio will do a free repair? There was an issue a while back where Samsung has defective power supplies and replaced then for free years after purchase. .. I'm ok with replacing a broad, but I would expect 10 years out of a TV considering the fact that it's a stationary electronics.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
This is great information. I wonder if all the 2016 TV start to fail if Vizio will do a free repair? There was an issue a while back where Samsung has defective power supplies and replaced then for free years after purchase. .. I'm ok with replacing a broad, but I would expect 10 years out of a TV considering the fact that it's a stationary electronics.
You're ok with replacing the "broad". :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
An interesting and cool feature update I received on my P's

Apparently Vizio has enabled/advanced Google assistant commands by linking their tvs to a Vizio Smartcast service in the Google home app. You must have a Vizio account, tv linked to it, and also link your Google account to the Vizio account (even if you used the Google account to make the Vizio one lol), and add them again to your respective room(s).

After that it's cool to be able to launch smartcast apps like Plex n Netflix via voice as well as change inputs.

Sadly I still gotta specify which tv I wanna turn on/off even though each tv and home are linked to different rooms which default tvs set LOL. But pretty sure that's because of the lackluster harmony integration tho.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts

Apparently Vizio has enabled/advanced Google assistant commands by linking their tvs to a Vizio Smartcast service in the Google home app. You must have a Vizio account, tv linked to it, and also link your Google account to the Vizio account (even if you used the Google account to make the Vizio one lol), and add them again to your respective room(s).

After that it's cool to be able to launch smartcast apps like Plex n Netflix via voice as well as change inputs.

Sadly I still gotta specify which tv I wanna turn on/off even though each tv and home are linked to different rooms which default tvs set LOL. But pretty sure that's because of the lackluster harmony integration tho.

This sounds awesome, I tried, authorized Vizio via the gHome app. But nothing happens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
This sounds awesome, I tried, authorized Vizio via the gHome app. But nothing happens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
First you have to link the tv to your Vizio account on the tv itself. Then add the Vizio service on the ghome app. It'll redirect you to login with your Vizio account, there you authorize it to link to the Google account. It worked on my 2nd try

·
Registered
615 Posts
The only way Vizio would consider doing free repairs on a 2 year old model is a major amount, over 25% of a model all fail with exactly the same device on a board failing. Hardware these days is designed to last 5 to 6 years, if you get more life then that out of a device you are very lucky, expecting a 10 year lifespan from a device is a dream people had 30 years ago and it is long gone. The Vizio 2016 P series has a acceptably low failure rate, you cannot count people playing the panel lottery trying to find a display with less banding or DSE those are not failures they are common manufacturing flaws that ALL LCD displays have, some are better then others but they are not a failure.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Firmware version?

I ask because I link my Vizio account but I don't see that number of devices like you do when I explore services again after linking.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The only way Vizio would consider doing free repairs on a 2 year old model is a major amount, over 25% of a model all fail with exactly the same device on a board failing. Hardware these days is designed to last 5 to 6 years, if you get more life then that out of a device you are very lucky, expecting a 10 year lifespan from a device is a dream people had 30 years ago and it is long gone. The Vizio 2016 P series has a acceptably low failure rate, you cannot count people playing the panel lottery trying to find a display with less banding or DSE those are not failures they are common manufacturing flaws that ALL LCD displays have, some are better then others but they are not a failure.
I'd like to see documentation proving that "Hardware these days is designed to last 5 to 6 years" Who exactly are these infamous designers? Can you prove some grand conspiracy of planned obsolescence among electronics manufacturers? When exactly did this conspiracy begin? Is "hardware" manufactured in the good old day of, say, pre-conspiracy 2000, still performing to spec, while "hardware" manufactured in post-conspiracy 2013 is now precipitously failing?

Anyone can assert anything, hey just look at certain Twitter accounts! However, an assertion is only as strong as the evidence available to support it.

Now, this is all not to be confused with recent trends regarding how often people upgrade or replace their electronics, due to improvements in tech or simply disposable income burning a hole in their pockets. I swapped a perfectly fine two year old 60" Samsung for my "65 Vizio just 'cause I wanted a bigger screen and better specs. I'm confident that the guy who bought the Samsung off me on Craig's will enjoy it for as long as he wants it, barring abuse or the inevitable random failure that any and all electronics gear suffer.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Hardware these days is designed to last 5 to 6 years, if you get more life then that out of a device you are very lucky, expecting a 10 year lifespan from a device is a dream people had 30 years ago and it is long gone.
I disagree. I work in homes every day. There is an older neighborhood I work in sometimes and I constantly see devices 30+ years old that function very well. Tube TVs, refrigerators, mixers, record players, etc. Planned obsolescence/lifespan is something manufacturers started doing with newer devices.

Edit: After rereading your post maybe that is what you meant?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I disagree. I work in homes every day. There is an older neighborhood I work in sometimes and I constantly see devices 30+ years old that function very well. Tube TVs, refrigerators, mixers, record players, etc. Planned obsolescence/lifespan is something manufacturers started doing with newer devices.

I agree-- just replace a 20yr old front loader washing machine- {1st off the line}.
Replaced in the last 2yrs>>>- 2 Refig/dishwasher/

Purchase a VP65 c-1 /2016-- issues and was replaced with 2017 E-1.
2018 motherboard was replaced. My VP65 E-1 is very beautiful- [coming from a Plasma Monitor]. State of the art is not what "it's states"
*Costco/citi CC has saved me a lot of $$$issues.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
This looks interesting:

Coming Soon!

CalMAN Home Color Calibration Solutions

Pleasanton, CA USA - January 31, 2019 - Portrait Displays®, Inc. is excited to announce a new suite of color calibration solutions releasing soon. CalMAN Home calibration solutions are specifically created for consumers seeking a superior viewing experience with optimized color.

CalMAN Home features AutoCal support at a more affordable price. With AutoCal, calibrations take less time and are far more consistent. Each version of CalMAN Home supports TVs from a specific manufacturer.

CalMAN Home provides consumers the ability to more easily calibrate their TVs for their specific environment and viewing preferences. Consumers can now enjoy films, TV shows, and other media with best-in-class picture quality based on the latest in color science and display technology.

Each CalMAN Home version features a workflow optimized for accomplishing its one specific goal. "CalMAN is an extremely powerful collection of calibration capabilities," said Jason Ramirez, CalMAN Senior Product Manager at Portrait Displays. "CalMAN Home calibration solutions strip away the complexity and presents just what is needed to conduct a color calibration," Ramirez continued.

The recent announcement of built-in pattern generators in the upcoming 2019 LG and Panasonic TVs further reduces the cost of calibration. With a built-in pattern generator, consumers no longer need to purchase an external device to create video test patterns. These technological advancements by LG and Panasonic paired with CalMAN Home offer an extremely low-cost solution for color calibration.

"Portrait Displays recognizes that consumer color standards are becoming increasingly sophisticated," said Eric Brumm, President and CEO of Portrait Displays. "We are now able to offer consumers calibration solutions that are lower in cost, specific to their needs, and provide the ability to create fantastic calibration results at a professional level," Brumm continued.

CalMAN Home will be released soon. More info will be available as we get closer to launch. Follow us on social media to be the first to know when these products are available for purchase.

About Portrait Displays, Inc.

Portrait Displays, Inc., since 1993, provides color display solutions that combine the latest in color science with advanced display control. The Portrait Displays team now includes SpectraCal, the world’s leading provider of color calibration solutions. The combined companies offer value-added, feature-rich solutions to both display manufacturers and consumers seeking improved accuracy and manageability of their displays.

Portrait Displays, an Intel Capital Portfolio company, is a private corporation with headquarters in
Pleasanton, California, USA, with representatives in Europe, Taiwan, China, Japan, and Korea.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Firmware version?

I ask because I link my Vizio account but I don't see that number of devices like you do when I explore services again after linking.
So I just checked and even though I'm running firmware 5.0.16.1, I have smartcast version 3.0.190131.37971|21.4

Guess they automatically push the beta update to anyone who signed up for it without any confirmation email LOL

·
Registered
179 Posts
Uh-Oh. Appears to be a dead Power Supply. Unplug all devices from the TV.

You can try to unplug it, Press-n-Hold the Power button on back for 20 seconds. Leave unplugged for 12+ hours. Plug in. Try to power it up. If no go, wait another 24+ hours with it plugged-in before powering-up. See if that works. You can repeat and lengthen these procedures a few more times, if you're patient.

If it does now work, it's only temporarily. You can leave it on 24/7 until it dies. Either way, it needs service or replaced. (You could risk and buy a PS board, or better yet, purchase and replace all the boards at the same time. If just replacing the PS board - and the problem is another board - there's a risk of messing-up the new PS board.)

- Pj
Hey, had a question because it was ignored when I brought it up before. Here are the symptoms and I'm wondering if you could point me to a better narrowing down of what is needed:

1) Turned off the TV to wash the display. Standard just lightly damp rag, etc.
2) Turned on, backlight was active, about a 20 or 30% gray on the display. No text or image with it. Turned off the display.
3) Turned it on, this time backlight active but pure black on the display. It matched the symptoms of others here, with the power light coming on, then going off, nothing displayed.
4) After fussing with it, I unplugged the set for 24 hours and drained the caps for the PS board.
5) After doing this, the screen turned on and went to the V logo splash screen, but went into a boot loop.

Now, I have a suspicion that I turned the set on during the firmware update and a bad flash occurred to the bios chip on the mainboard (hence that gray screen described in number 2 above). Due to me interrupting the process, then fussing with turning it off during a potential update after powering it on during such a thing would corrupt the firmware without a doubt (that is computer tech thing, so sure on that).

Another possibility comes up with me unplugging the set for 24 hours and draining the caps. On older models than this, the caps would not discharge and would hold a state and cause the screen to remain black, from my research and if I'm remembering those pages correctly. They recommended to unplug for an extended period of time and holding the power button for excessive time while unplugged to fully discharge. This would point to a potential PS issue. But, it could have also just been transient and arose at the same time as the other issue. Otherwise, this points to the PS needing replaced.

The bad flash refers to needing a new mainboard, if I am correct, or desoldering the bios chip, using an eeprom programmer to load a fresh rom image onto the bios chip, then resoldering the chip to the board.

So my question comes in whether Vizio implements a safety dual bios to reload a firmware in the event of a bad flash, or have another way to load a firmware in the event of a bad flash and whether this description on how to factory reset the TV could also cause it to look for a fresh bios on, say, a USB drive plugged into the non-USB 3.0 port on the device, or if you think the factory reset may resolve the boot loop issue?

Considering the instructions on how to do the factory reset, I figured I would ask.

I have the P50-C1 LTMWTNAS serial variant.

BTW, Vizio, if you frequent this thread, ADD A SECOND BIOS CHIP TO PREVENT BAD FLASH ISSUES! Either that or implement a safety reflash for the TVs similar to what modern MBs for PCs implement! Then just give us access to the firmware in like an FTP so we can select the firmware version we like in the event of issues with a newer firmware. Users will come to a consensus on which firmware works best for them!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Having any issues with blacks, lifted or crushed?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I don't have the best eye for something like that. Naturally the ips panel won't deliver near perfect blacks like the VA panel does. With the colors being a bit dark on 2.2 gamma I use 2.0 for calibrated, BL 65,, color 55 clearaction on, BL 55 for calibrated dark, color 53, gamma 2.1, clearaction on. I find enabled CA helps with blacks in a dark room but really helps with motion clarity.

I haven't noticed any blue or red hues in the blacks when watching DV content via the apple tv though

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have the best eye for something like that. Naturally the ips panel won't deliver near perfect blacks like the VA panel does. With the colors being a bit dark on 2.2 gamma I use 2.0 for calibrated, BL 65,, color 55 clearaction on, BL 55 for calibrated dark, color 53, gamma 2.1, clearaction on. I find enabled CA helps with blacks in a dark room but really helps with motion clarity.

I haven't noticed any blue or red hues in the blacks when watching DV content via the apple tv though

Are you using Offset settings for DV?

I am now, there is so much highlight detail revealed when they are there. Blacks look fine and I can use sharpness at 30.

Backlight at 40, and the CMS settings without color brightness. Picture is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
I do plan on replacing both boards in my set to see if I can bring it back to life for a damned good bedroom TV as our decade old Sony LCD is starting to have some issues. Today I caved and bought a P65-F1, I just couldn't resist for what they are selling for. Paid $900 and if memory recalls the C1 was almost $2k. Obviously even with the failure I don't believe Vizio builds an inferior product. I'll keep the thread updated once I begin the repair process.

63461 - 63480 of 64785 Posts