AVS Forum banner

64241 - 64260 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
The "TV" app on the ATV is a gem for centralizing content (other than Netflix/Plex) and is especially useful for Disney+ that's missing a "continue watching section"

Match refresh rate and content is nice since you can have it default to 60hz SDR and adjust to 24p HDR/DV as needed.

Plus now it can act as a steam link hub since it supports PS4 controllers now.

Also iTunes being the largest selection of Dolby vision movies for those who don't want to invest in physical media.

Only apple product I actively use lol.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
This is the truth! It's such a well-polished streamer that I've all but given up on the others for daily driving. It's incredibly well-supported by Apple and app partners.

But to be fair I still own a Chromecast Ultra for the rare 4k HDR videos that catch my eye. I also own a Firestick 4k because it's the only travel-friendly streamer due to its ability to use captive wifi portals.

I may have to give NVIDIA's shield a chance because of gamestream.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
This is the truth! It's such a well-polished streamer that I've all but given up on the others for daily driving. It's incredibly well-supported by Apple and app partners.

But to be fair I still own a Chromecast Ultra for the rare 4k HDR videos that catch my eye. I also own a Firestick 4k because it's the only travel-friendly streamer due to its ability to use captive wifi portals.

I may have to give NVIDIA's shield a chance because of gamestream.
That's great, nobody said the ATV4K was bad, it's just over $125 more than a Fire TV 4k Stick. For a lot of people it's just not worth the price difference. You're really paying for the Apple name here- Had I not already owned a few iTunes movies I'd sell it. FYI- I could Airplay my iTunes movies from my iPad to the TV but I wouldn't have Atmos- seems a convenient oversight Apple didn't add DD+ support to Airplay2.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
I can't edit my own post so I have to post twice in a row. Somebody fix the forum already! :laugh:

After emailing the CEO I spoke to Rich at Vizio and he tells me that the problem with Clear Action will be resolved- after posting about it all over the net for the past year and the Oficial Vizio Support forum at Reddit (where official Vizio support reps have acknowledged it) he says when a rep contacted me about it 23 days ago it was the first time it was actually entered into the system as a problem, and now it will be resolved.

Have a hard time believing after a year of people posting about it on the oficial Vizio Support Forum on reddit and Vizio Support responding in those threads that it was never reported. Uh ok. Whatever. Just as long as it gets fixed.

Even if you have a firmware issue that everyone else is having, obviously posting it places like here and reddit where Vizio Support acknowledges it isn't enough- we'll always have to report it to Vizio directly, just to have it on record. So why exactly is the Vizio Rep here again?

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Apples and Oranges. One is $25, the other is >$100. For streaming there is very little difference (I own both) and the Fire TV 4k is a lot more flexible.
I own both, I also own the Shield v1 and my TV is a 2018 Sony Android TV. I prefer the Apple TV overall for me usage..... Even price aside.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
That's great, nobody said the ATV4K was bad, it's just over $125 more than a Fire TV 4k Stick. For a lot of people it's just not worth the price difference. You're really paying for the Apple name here- Had I not already owned a few iTunes movies I'd sell it. FYI- I could Airplay my iTunes movies from my iPad to the TV but I wouldn't have Atmos- seems a convenient oversight Apple didn't add DD+ support to Airplay2.
I don't use ANYTHiNG Apple besides the AppleTV 4k. It was also the last streamer I bought as all the others ended up disappointing me.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I own both, I also own the Shield v1 and my TV is a 2018 Sony Android TV. I prefer the Apple TV overall for me usage..... Even price aside.

Is there anything "wrong" with the firestick? I'm debating getting it just for Disney+, just trying to make an informed buying decision. Thanks mate.

-Vader

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Is there anything "wrong" with the firestick? I'm debating getting it just for Disney+, just trying to make an informed buying decision. Thanks mate.
-Vader
The only thing I can think of that I don't like about the Fire TV is that they don't support the Vudu application. You can sideload it but then 4k content will not play.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts

-Vader
For $25? Just for Disney+? No. You're not going to do any better at that price- it supports Dolby Vision and DD+ 5.1 on Disney+-no Atmos at the moment.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts

-Vader
No Vudu, frame matching only with Amazon, no as good at upconverts. Needs adapter for LAN connection. I don't like the layout either.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
No Vudu, frame matching only with Amazon, no as good at upconverts. Needs adapter for LAN connection. I don't like the layout either.

$25 vs $150. If he's only buying it for one app (which he states) he's better off buying Fire TV stick. If you're heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem then maybe an Apple TV 4k, but geez. I own one and even I think it's probably worth about the $80 I paid for it used. The TV app is great and everything but you really need a cable TV subscription to put it to the best use. I don't use the TV app much because I don't have a cable subscription and can't unlock 90% of the streaming apps anyways. Vizio is probably going to get the TV app anyways- if you Airplay anything to the TV you will see it has the exact same interface as the TV app for the info/video/settings, etc. I really don't understand all this blind devotion Apple users have towards their products.

·
Registered
390 Posts
$25 vs $150. If he's only buying it for one app (which he states) he's better off buying Fire TV stick. If you're heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem then maybe an Apple TV 4k, but geez. I own one and even I think it's probably worth about the $80 I paid for it used. The TV app is great and everything but you really need a cable TV subscription to put it to the best use. I don't use the TV app much because I don't have a cable subscription and can't unlock 90% of the streaming apps anyways. Vizio is probably going to get the TV app anyways- if you Airplay anything to the TV you will see it has the exact same interface as the TV app for the info/video/settings, etc. I really don't understand all this blind devotion Apple users have towards their products.
Android user here:
he will get a device for one app, realize the interface is much better than smartcast, never return to smartcast except for 4k YouTube videos.

In this instance an apple tv 4k holds more value than a firestick.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Android user here:
he will get a device for one app, realize the interface is much better than smartcast, never return to smartcast except for 4k YouTube videos.

In this instance an apple tv 4k holds more value than a firestick.

Why? Just for Disney+? It’s the same exact app on both platforms.

That said you realize Vizio is getting the full Disney app sometime next year. The Vizio rep I spoke to said as much, he said they’ll finally update the chromecast version This month. Yes the SmartCast platform is slow, but if you only need it to do a few things it’s adequate but even for $25 the Fire TV stick is a huge upgrade. Personally if I had to choose and I wasn’t invested in the Apple platform I’d buy a 2019 Shield Pro. The only thing it’s missing is the Apple TV app and maybe hdr YouTube (but really there’s not much to watch in hdr).

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Why? Just for Disney+? It’s the same exact app on both platforms.

That said you realize Vizio is getting the full Disney app sometime next year. The Vizio rep I spoke to said as much, he said they’ll finally update the chromecast version This month. Yes the SmartCast platform is slow, but if you only need it to do a few things it’s adequate but even for $25 the Fire TV stick is a huge upgrade. Personally if I had to choose and I wasn’t invested in the Apple platform I’d buy a 2019 Shield Pro. The only thing it’s missing is the Apple TV app and maybe hdr YouTube (but really there’s not much to watch in hdr).
First of all I'm all Android user. I will never have an Apple phone or Mac PC. I have always hated Apple. I wanted a no bull**** device that does Dolby Vision, Atmos, frame rate/dynamic range Auto switching, great upscaling and support these with every app I use that's capable and support every app I use. The Apple TV is the only box that did this a year ago. I don't know if the Shield 2019 does but I don't think it's any different than my 2018 Android TV interface and that does work with everything too but I like the Apple TV interface better than my Android TV Oreo interface. I don't want to switch devices just to watch different apps either. I don't use Apple's TV app, I'm not arguing that one is better than another, I'm saying for my use case, money aside, the Apple TV 4k was the right choice for me and my family on my main TV. I complained the whole time paying 200 bucks for it but I haven't complained about it since then. It does everything right for my use. To each their own!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't edit my own post so I have to post twice in a row. Somebody fix the forum already! :laugh:

After emailing the CEO I spoke to Rich at Vizio and he tells me that the problem with Clear Action will be resolved- after posting about it all over the net for the past year and the Oficial Vizio Support forum at Reddit (where official Vizio support reps have acknowledged it) he says when a rep contacted me about it 23 days ago it was the first time it was actually entered into the system as a problem, and now it will be resolved.

Have a hard time believing after a year of people posting about it on the oficial Vizio Support Forum on reddit and Vizio Support responding in those threads that it was never reported. Uh ok. Whatever. Just as long as it gets fixed.

Even if you have a firmware issue that everyone else is having, obviously posting it places like here and reddit where Vizio Support acknowledges it isn't enough- we'll always have to report it to Vizio directly, just to have it on record. So why exactly is the Vizio Rep here again?
Thank you for sharing Dave. I'm glad someone has finally acknowledged the issue. Someone from Vizio contacted me about 6 months ago or so about clear action so I'm also surprised to hear that they've only logged it 23 days ago. So frustrating.

I suppose he didn't share a timeframe on a fix?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
First of all I'm all Android user. I will never have an Apple phone or Mac PC. I have always hated Apple. I wanted a no bull**** device that does Dolby Vision, Atmos, frame rate/dynamic range Auto switching, great upscaling and support these with every app I use that's capable and support every app I use. The Apple TV is the only box that did this a year ago. I don't know if the Shield 2019 does but I don't think it's any different than my 2018 Android TV interface and that does work with everything too but I like the Apple TV interface better than my Android TV Oreo interface. I don't want to switch devices just to watch different apps either. I don't use Apple's TV app, I'm not arguing that one is better than another, I'm saying for my use case, money aside, the Apple TV 4k was the right choice for me and my family on my main TV. I complained the whole time paying 200 bucks for it but I haven't complained about it since then. It does everything right for my use. To each their own!

I have Apple everything...come over to the dark side.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Nope, I got it fixed by toggling Full UHD Color off and on (again).
Thought I had tried everything before posting ( and had been watching Apple TV+ in 4K right before), but it’s working now.
The FireTV4K stick will do DolbyVision for Disney+ and just HDR10 for AppleTV.

64241 - 64260 of 64785 Posts