AVS Forum banner

64701 - 64720 of 64796 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've discovered something either about the 2016 P Series or about my UHD Bluray player(LG UP970).

Dolby Vision is at its best when the player has the color space set to RGB. YCbCr seems to compress the dynamic range of the content.

HDR10 doesn't perform well with RGB, it becomes washed out or has desaturated colors and raised blacks. YCbCr is the right one for HDR10 content.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
I started watching some Dolby Vision content. I was unable to change from YCbCr to RGB. The option was greyed out. Anyone else run into that issue?
-

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I started watching some Dolby Vision content. I was unable to change from YCbCr to RGB. The option was greyed out. Anyone else run into that issue?

-
Must be a external device, i.e UHD Bluray, ATV 4K, you can't change the color space on the display.

Stacey Spears of Spears and Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc commented

Dolby Vision overrides the player settings. If it is TV-led, then 8-bit RGB is sent out. It is really 12-bit 4:2:2 pretending to be 8-bit RGB. For player-led, it outputs HDR12 (12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I have a P65-C1 that seems to have stopped working. Before I take the thing apart....

It was working fine earlier that day. It was turned back on and the LED indicator was flashing. It was turned off/on to nothing. It does a quick white light flash at the indicator then doesn't respond. I've tried resets and power drains to no avail.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi all,

I have a P65-C1 that seems to have stopped working. Before I take the thing apart....

It was working fine earlier that day. It was turned back on and the LED indicator was flashing. It was turned off/on to nothing. It does a quick white light flash at the indicator then doesn't respond. I've tried resets and power drains to no avail.

Anyone else have this issue?
I have the same model. When this occured I unplugged for 10-20min and then tried again. I vaguely remember resetting too.

All better here.

Given the glut and low price of 65-75" TV's in 2020, I'm not too stressed if my vizio fails. Although I'd like to get into the 5-10 year range.

(Side note, I bought a cheapo Hisense last week for the game room, I'm convinced it is better than the P65-C1)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same model. When this occured I unplugged for 10-20min and then tried again. I vaguely remember resetting too.

All better here.

Given the glut and low price of 65-75" TV's in 2020, I'm not too stressed if my vizio fails. Although I'd like to get into the 5-10 year range.

(Side note, I bought a cheapo Hisense last week for the game room, I'm convinced it is better than the P65-C1)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I've let it sit for hours unplugged and 30sec power holds(top button) unplugged and plugged without change.

The indicator LED lights up for a brief moment when plugged in then nothing.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts

All better here.

There has been a lot of video progress since 2016 when this model came out, primarily the nits (luminance levels) are way up and quantum dots...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Red Columns and Lines

Hi everyone

I have not been on here in a while, but I bought my P75-C1 back in 2016 and it has been working mostly very well...until this last week when I turned it on. The picture shows vertical red columns on the far-left side of the screen. I tried to search red vertical lines and red columns in the search but came up empty. Google search tells me it might be a ribbon cable that may or may not be easy to fix. I just wanted to come here and see if anybody else has heard of this failure and if it was repairable. I am a mechanical engineer that has built machines, race cars, computers, etc. so taking off the back cover does not scare me I just want to know if there is a chance at fixing it. The picture attached is from the boot screen and currently it shows the same problem on all inputs and during casting.

Thanks for the help!
Troy

Attachments

·
Registered
18,527 Posts
I guess the chance of getting Clear Action ever fixed is out. I'm not even going to bother with Costco or Amex now, at some point I'm going to want an OLED.

I will say this, I will never purchase another Vizio product again.

It's amazing Vizio has such little regard for their customers.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have both the 2016 p series and the 2018 quantum TV and with both clear action not working. In addition, according to rtings the tv used to strobe at 960 and for whatever reason is now 120. I can't believe I'm actually looking at the 2020 sets. I guess I'm a sucker for value as well as their gaming target for non burn in pc use.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I guess the chance of getting Clear Action ever fixed is out. I'm not even going to bother with Costco or Amex now, at some point I'm going to want an OLED.

Vizio offered technology at a fraction of what the big 3 (Sony, Samsung, LG) offer it for.

It sucks but when you go with a value brand you don't get the same quality/support.

You get what you pay for m8.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Vizio offered technology at a fraction of what the big 3 (Sony, Samsung, LG) offer it for.

It sucks but when you go with a value brand you don't get the same quality/support.

As he already explained numerous times before, but seems to be ignored by your post is that the feature was working at one point, but was broken after a firmware update. Vizio claimed to have a fix in the works, but has not come to fruition.

Ever since Matt left, the loyalty to customers also went out the door.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts

I wonder if the change is related to HDR, also what did it do for gaming?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wonder if the change is related to HDR, also what did it do for gaming?

Clear action is backlight strobing.
It alternates between image and a black screen on the display. The benefit is you are looking at multiple still shots in rapid succession vs 1 fluid shot and helps to eliminate motion blur on va panels especially during camera pans

Great for gaming as it's easier to make out details in the environment that can be blurred when moving the in-game camera.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As he already explained numerous times before, but seems to be ignored by your post is that the feature was working at one point, but was broken after a firmware update. Vizio claimed to have a fix in the works, but has not come to fruition.

Ever since Matt left, the loyalty to customers also went out the door.
I'm aware of many posts and I've reached out myself too in the past to get it fixed on the 120hz panels but at the end of the day corporations will be more interested in capturing new clients vs keeping existing ones especially with TVs that aren't purchased too often.

·
Registered
18,527 Posts

I can't respond the way I'd like because I'd probably get banned.

We had a feature that was ADVERTISED with the TV, and it was taken away. I owned the TV for less than a year before they borked it. They promised they'd fix it- but said it would take a while, then said it wasn't broken (but nobody used it anyways).

Please, if you don't have anything of value to input, don't say anything.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Clear action is backlight strobing.
It alternates between image and a black screen on the display. The benefit is you are looking at multiple still shots in rapid succession vs 1 fluid shot and helps to eliminate motion blur on va panels especially during camera pans

Great for gaming as it's easier to make out details in the environment that can be blurred when moving the in-game camera.

So its BFI or Black Frame Insertion and originally was at 960 hz, 120 hz.

Was the frequency issue ever pointed out to Vizio? I remember ready comments about it not working, but if its tested at 120 hz and it works, then it works.

So clear action frequency specifics may have gotten it put back to its original form.

·
Registered
392 Posts
So its BFI or Black Frame Insertion and originally was at 960 hz, 120 hz.

Was the frequency issue ever pointed out to Vizio? I remember ready comments about it not working, but if its tested at 120 hz and it works, then it works.

So clear action frequency specifics may have gotten it put back to its original form.

Not OP in that case as I have the C1s where I always thought the frequency was 120hz (while it worked) and 60 on the 50" variant (where it still works and I primarily game)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
FYI the Movies Anywhere app is now on Smartcast. I'm not sure if there's any advantage over Vudu, but it plays Vision and Atmos too.
Casting it before, it only played in HDR10. I didn't notice it this morning. DV support is awesome.

64701 - 64720 of 64796 Posts