AVS Forum banner

64781 - 64800 of 64977 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yup. Costco is great that way. I think it's time for me to give them a call about the Clear Action issue. Love the TV but that one issue and the totally dismissiveness from Vizio is really pissing me off.
I wouldn't mention the Clear Action being broken due to a FW update. Not certain about how Costco works things, but I don't believe software issues are covered by the majority of warranties. My original claim with Walmart/Asurion was denied for this reason. Just say it doesn't work, don't mention FW at all.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I wouldn't mention the Clear Action being broken due to a FW update. Not certain about how Costco works things, but I don't believe software issues are covered by the majority of warranties. My original claim with Walmart/Asurion was denied for this reason. Just say it doesn't work, don't mention FW at all.
Costco is different- as you can see they really go out of their way to help their customers. Not sure if Amex is handling it at this point anyways. Either way I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Costco is different- as you can see they really go out of their way to help their customers. Not sure if Amex is handling it at this point anyways. Either way I'll give them a call.
Asurion really went out of their way for me also, as you can see, they are refunding me the entire purchase price plus tax. I'm sure Costco is amazing but there are still terms and conditions. In the majority of cases issues caused by FW updates are not covered. Just trying to give you a heads up. You can say the Clear Action feature quit working, but I wouldn't mention it's due to a FW update. Why mention that bit if you don't have to. :)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
For those interested, Factory Menu color temperature calibration.

Remote Code for factory menu: Menu,1,9,9,9 return button(its the button below the channel rocker).

Once in do not touch, aging mode. Scroll down to color temperature.

Gain settings are:

Red Gain 504
Green Gain 484
Blue Gain 512

Offset settings are

Red Offset 4
Green Offset 2
Blue Offset 2

Other settings are for Sharpness, UHD Bluray 15 and Streaming 4.

All of these setting were done on a 2016 P55-C1, so the results may be different for you. Also, going to the factory could void your warranty, if its an extended one that hasn't expired.

Don't forget to write down the factory color temperature settings before tou change them, if they are similar to mine. Gain are all 512, with Offset all set to 0. The calibration I did, used the internal full screen patterns.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
A follow up on the calibration, the white point is D65, picture mode is Calibrated Dark, Gamma setting is 2.2, and the factory menu only comes up on HDMI ports. Smartcast and USB does not work.

First thing I noticed, D65 is very important to the picture quality of HDR. A lot of white and shadow detail was clipped before. Clouds and other detail now appear, reflections, so on so forth. Even detail in color is visible in a way, that your display seem new. I don't know why Vizio leaves Offset at 0 across the board, but it clips so much detail.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Can someone please link me to a few good actual HDR videos on YouTube? I've tried probably around 30 from all different channels that are listed as "REAL TRUE HDR!!!!" but none of them ever trigger HDR to kick on on my tv. Not through the built in app, and not via casting from my phone.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Can someone please link me to a few good actual HDR videos on YouTube? I've tried probably around 30 from all different channels that are listed as "REAL TRUE HDR!!!!" but none of them ever trigger HDR to kick on on my tv. Not through the built in app, and not via casting from my phone.
2016/17 P-Series does not support YouTube HDR via the internal app or casting.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Hello,

I have found sample videos on my Roku 4K channel.
I've also looked for test videos that I have downloaded to a server or Google Drive and use an app (Roksbox) on Roku to play back HDR Atmos or DTS:X test videos.
Other than that, it is my 4K Blu-Ray collection for that kind of video or finding the right streaming content.

-B

·
Registered
406 Posts
I can link you to some high bitrate HDR demos when I get home. They can be streamed via dnla/plex or played via usb.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
I can link you to some high bitrate HDR demos when I get home. They can be streamed via dnla/plex or played via usb.

I have some already, but thanks. I just wanted to check out some stuff on YouTube but guess that's not possible. Pretty lame for it to not work on the built in app.

Edit: Does anyone who where I can get some led strips for a P55-E1? I want to attempt repair of this thing myself.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have some already, but thanks. I just wanted to check out some stuff on YouTube but guess that's not possible. Pretty lame for it to not work on the built in app.

Edit: Does anyone who where I can get some led strips for a P55-E1? I want to attempt repair of this thing myself.
YouTube uses vp9 profile 2 for hdr. As it has been discussed numerous times here that codec is not supported by our sets.
YouTube HDR doesn't work on alot of tvs.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Does anyone who where I can get some led strips for a P55-E1? I want to attempt repair of this thing myself.
In addition to that, is it normal for the top of the bezel to be literally very warm to the touch? To the point of it being so warm that it would probably cause a minor burn to a child? I can barely keep my own hand on it for longer than 10 seconds & it's saved me a good amount on my apartment heating bill in the winter months. It's always been this way and I guess I never really thought much about it before.

·
Registered
337 Posts
In addition to that, is it normal for the top of the bezel to be literally very warm to the touch? To the point of it being so warm that it would probably cause a minor burn to a child? I can barely keep my own hand on it for longer than 10 seconds & it's saved me a good amount on my apartment heating bill in the winter months. It's always been this way and I guess I never really thought much about it before.
My 2016 model is always cool to the touch (on top bezel)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good Afternoon,

I have a P65-E1. It does not get hot to the touch.

-

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
MY TV isn't too cold or too hot... it's just right...

Maybe the Nvidia shield does YouTube HDR?
It doesn’t. I recommend picking up a 4k FireTV stick when they’re on sale for $25 for YT HDR. That said there really isn’t much YT HDR content worth watching- you’ll burn through it in a day.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
In addition to that, is it normal for the top of the bezel to be literally very warm to the touch?....
Per your query... The bezel top left facing the screen is a slightly warm on my P65-C1. Maybe some component below the vents is the source.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wish the volume display was on the side (like samsung) or top (like roku), it covers captions far too often and is pointless to be sooo large.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

64781 - 64800 of 64977 Posts