AVS Forum banner

64961 - 64980 of 64994 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
I want mine to die so I can get a full refund from Costco.

Some of the cheaper TCLs are better than the old Vizio P series. Honestly, I don't think most people in this thread would buy another Vizio- we know better.
Is there any TV made within 2 years of this P series that's really any better? Serious question. Most modern sets aren't showing longevity that I've seen. Most have some kind of issue.

I had a Sammy DLP rear projection that did OK for about 8 years but then the mirrors got stuck in a few spots. Still use it in a game room for sports but it would die with regular use. I hear of a lot of OLED stuff with burn in out there, etc.

My 65 has been pretty good. Pic isn't perfect. Likely won't last too much longer based on others experiences here, but doesn't seem to be dying just yet. These modern sets certainly don't have the legs of the old tube sets. Crazy when you think about it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
I may have already shared here, but my P65C1 2016 is still ok, but I needed a new set for the basement, looked at vizio, Sony, and tcl/Hisense.

Honestly knowing how fast these LEDs break or get newer tech, I bought the cheapest set I could... 70" 4K Hisense w/Roku - $479+tax... W/costco warranty. It's perfect for casual sports and kid shows.

If my main Vizio lasts me 3-5 more years, I'll be happy and get the 8k OLED 70" then :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
My 2016 p50 is still alive and kicking... for now. I'm not sure I would get another Vizio after this. It was my first one and may be my last. My previous TV was a samsung and it lasted well over ten years... maybe I'll go back.... MAYBE, but likely not once I see the price difference and end up with another Vizio :p

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
My 2016 p50 is still alive and kicking... for now. I'm not sure I would get another Vizio after this. It was my first one and may be my last. My previous TV was a samsung and it lasted well over ten years... maybe I'll go back.... MAYBE, but likely not once I see the price difference and end up with another Vizio :p
Vizio does Dolby Vision, as far as I’m aware Samsung is still refusing to support DV.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I'm going to stick with Vizio, I don't expect them to be Sony. They are not in that position, and I think that was the goal a few years ago when they were merging with that Chinese company. My P55 C1 has been great, it hasn't been perfect but great. I have been following the 2020/2021 threads, and Vizio has been getting firmware updates out a lot faster than in the past. I will be picking up a 65" 2020 model, next month whether that will LCD or OLED is what wrestling with now.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
I'm going to stick with Vizio, I don't expect them to be Sony. They are not in that position, and I think that was the goal a few years ago when they were merging with that Chinese company. My P55 C1 has been great, it hasn't been perfect but great. I have been following the 2020/2021 threads, and Vizio has been getting firmware updates out a lot faster than in the past. I will be picking up a 65" 2020 model, next month whether that will LCD or OLED is what wrestling with now.

Just because they're supporting a new model doesn't mean they will next year or the year after- Vizio seems to abandon their older models very quickly- on top of that they tend to break things with Firmware updates that worked fine for years. The Pandemic has been good for us, some bored tech guy appeared to have time enough to fix problems we've had recently, some (broken Clear Action) for almost 2yrs.

From what I've understood the Vizio OLEDs have a number of firmware issues, which isn't surprising. You really should check out the threads here for a particular model before you decide to buy one. Because I'm into gaming I'll probably go with a LG when I go OLED, but right now my P65-E1 works, and I bet none of the newer games (like Cyberpunk) will be able to push more than 60FPS with all the features maxed out at 4k anyways, so not having HDMI 2.1 isn't a major issue for me.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
These modern sets certainly don't have the legs of the old tube sets. Crazy when you think about it.
It is, but I also consider it to be a combination of low-cost/low-quality components combined with baseline quality control issues in modern sets. The low prices exist for reasons beyond mass production efficiencies.

FWIW, and in contrast to my P65-C1, my first flat panel (Sony 40XBR2 circa 2006) is still going strong today with daily use in our exercise room.

Reactions: BearGator56

·
Registered
546 Posts
So more led strips are going out on my P55-E1. But the weird thing is that sometimes they are all working, sometimes its one row thats out on the right had side, sometimes it's 2 rows, sometimes 3. But if I turn the tv on and off I can sometimes get them to all be working or a "better" combination of certain ones not working. Is that the actual strips starting to go out? Or a controller of sorts that is going bad and causing it?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Just because they're supporting a new model doesn't mean they will next year or the year after- Vizio seems to abandon their older models very quickly- on top of that they tend to break things with Firmware updates that worked fine for years. The Pandemic has been good for us, some bored tech guy appeared to have time enough to fix problems we've had recently, some (broken Clear Action) for almost 2yrs.

From what I've understood the Vizio OLEDs have a number of firmware issues, which isn't surprising. You really should check out the threads here for a particular model before you decide to buy one. Because I'm into gaming I'll probably go with a LG when I go OLED, but right now my P65-E1 works, and I bet none of the newer games (like Cyberpunk) will be able to push more than 60FPS with all the features maxed out at 4k anyways, so not having HDMI 2.1 isn't a major issue for me.
I visit just about every brand thread, except for Samsung because I will not purchase a display without DV support. What I've learned, is that no matter what brand you choose, there will always be something to complain about. We as consumers though, focus on the brand we have in front us. Our vision becomes narrow, for the most part we become unaware of the issues users of other brands are having. Most assume we are alone, and the easiest solution is to go to another brand.

I don't think those fixable issues are enough to consider spending more than necessary to get exceptional picture quality. Until recently, I had not used CA for anything. Today, I use it with exceptional results for gaming, HDR bluray movies, and broadcast television(so much for Vizio having the worst upscaling of low resolution\quality content).

Thank you for your efforts in getting Vizio to fix CA(BFI).

I research, whenever there is an issue. Looking to understand why, whether or not there is a solution. Then I know what to expect and whether or not its time to move on.

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
I visit just about every brand thread, except for Samsung because I will not purchase a display without DV support. What I've learned, is that no matter what brand you choose, there will always be something to complain about. We as consumers though, focus on the brand we have in front us. Our vision becomes narrow, for the most part we become unaware of the issues users of other brands are having. Most assume we are alone, and the easiest solution is to go to another brand.

I don't think those fixable issues are enough to consider spending more than necessary to get exceptional picture quality. Until recently, I had not used CA for anything. Today, I use it with exceptional results for gaming, HDR bluray movies, and broadcast television(so much for Vizio having the worst upscaling of low resolution\quality content).

Thank you for your efforts in getting Vizio to fix CA(BFI).

I research, whenever there is an issue. Looking to understand why, whether or not there is a solution. Then I know what to expect and whether or not its time to move on.

How do you use CA for movies? I just use it for gaming.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I tried CA once and it dims the picture so not really sure what it does. It was broken for so long, according to folks here, so I never cared. Always was set to off in the calibration thread.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I tried CA once and it dims the picture...

At least with my P50, Clear Action will either dim, remain the same, or brighten the image depending on the Backlight setting.

·
Registered
443 Posts
At least with my P50, Clear Action will either dim, remain the same, or brighten the image depending on the Backlight setting.
I may mess with it for the Xbox. Haven't been gaming much lately. Pic seems great without it.

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
I may mess with it for the Xbox. Haven't been gaming much lately. Pic seems great without it.

It works well with 4k/60Hz PC gaming- game mode on, CA on.

As I said earlier, I really doubt HDMI 2.1 4k/120Hz is going to make much of a difference with the next gen of games- even the most powerful PCs are going to have a difficult time pushing 4k/60fps with games like Cyberpunk and all the features (reflections) maked out.

Would be nice to have VRR/G-Sync tho...

·
Registered
443 Posts
It works well with 4k/60Hz PC gaming- game mode on, CA on.

As I said earlier, I really doubt HDMI 2.1 4k/120Hz is going to make much of a difference with the next gen of games- even the most powerful PCs are going to have a difficult time pushing 4k/60fps with games like Cyberpunk and all the features (reflections) maked out.

Would be nice to have VRR/G-Sync tho...
I'm pretty basic on my gaming. Madden, Battlefield, Need For Speed and racing stuff. Some of those quest games have amazing graphics but I get bored with them.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
How do you use CA for movies? I just use it for gaming.
It drops the brightness 20 nits, and brings the PQ EOTF in closer to reference. Color gamut mapping performs better.

I don't use it for SmartCast, because it throws off my calibration. UHD Bluray/PS4 gaming I do, for the benefits in the paragraph above. Also, sharpness I can set to 15 and the image quality for COD MW looks like its using super sampling instead of a upscale. UHD Bluray are very sharp without the appearance of edge enhancement or ringing.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Just started a claim with SquareTrade. Let's see how this one pans out.

SmartCast is gone even after doing soft and hard resets.

Charlie Murphy just appeared out of nowhere in the top left corner.:oops:
I just checked. Mine's gone too. May be a server outage. Casting to the TV still works.

64961 - 64980 of 64994 Posts