AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Ah. Yeah, I guess since I can't do 4k with the 2 inputs I have, then it doesn't really matter. If I wanna do Netflix 4k, I'll be using casting anyways.

Hm. Isn't game mode optimal on specific HDMI ports on the P series? Maybe one cable from the Marantz is a bad idea...

- Jon
I believe HDMI 5 is the "Game" HDMI, but I also think the others have a setting to reduce latency. Personally I am not sure how much latency I have on my current TV. Personally I have become less interested on a big booming home theater and am thinking of replacing my current TV/Reciver setup with this Vizio paired with the new soundbars they have coming with all HMDI going into the TV (switches for game consoles to share HDMI inputs) and just an optical cable to the soundbar.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Those of you who ordered a 65 on Vizio.com -- how long did it take until it shipped? When I paid, it said "ships within 30 days" -- anyone else see that message and have it ship right away? Fingers crossed.
I ordered Wednesday around 3am .
Package picked up by couriers on Friday .
Due delivery today .
I'm guessing they don't deliver weekends as Its a local delivery .

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
I have traditionally been more of a Samsung/Sony guy and have stayed away from buying Vizio, but not this time. With the features these new TV's are bringing to the table and the price, Sony and Samsung are just not worth the extra money this time. Very impressed Vizio. I am looking to buy something in the next 3-5 months and the P75 just shot to the top of my list. Excited for more reviews. The only thing I hesitate on is the remote and casting but I suspect it will go nowhere but up over the next few months when I am ready to buy.

Kudos to all the owners who are posting their info, very helpful.

·
Registered
115 Posts
HDMI ARC supports a maximum of 2 channels (uncompressed). The only way to get 5.1 is to use Dolby Digital or some other recognized compressed format that passes through unchanged.
Thanks, I just needed to enable HDMI bitstreaming of 5.1 DD+/DTS over HDMI in my preferred media player to get it to work. Windows still thinks it's a 2-channel device but if I bitstream it and let my AVR decode it I get 5.1, so that's cool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those of you who ordered a 65 on Vizio.com -- how long did it take until it shipped? When I paid, it said "ships within 30 days" -- anyone else see that message and have it ship right away? Fingers crossed.
Log into your MyVizio account and it will give you the status. Mine was in Packing mode for 3 days and then it was being delayed by the snow storms in MN. By then Best Buy had them on their site so I cancelled the Vizio. I figured it would be easier to return to BB if I didn't like it or if there are problems out of the box.
The evening after I cancelled I got an email from the Trucking Company that the Vizio order was ready to ship and wanted me to set up a delivery day. If it wasn't for the snow storm it probably would have shipped in 3 days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I see that too. Could be that IPS inevitably makes blooming more visible, due to the panel's inherent "grayness". I'll want to see some more pics, but it does give me pause, especially coming from an ST60.

edit: Just saw Jehan's follow up, good to know the camera isn't matching what you're seeing, and not at all surprised :)
I also have had difficulty capturing black levels and blooming with my phone camera (lumia 950 so the camera is excellent). Pictures I take just do not capture what my eyes see. I dont see blooming, but the camera does.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Any opinions on normal streaming services PQ? We watch a lot of Hulu and SlingTV. I know bitrates vary from channel to channel on SlingTV, wanted to get some impressions.

·
Registered
510 Posts
"Actually, this still is not an apples to apples comparison as the sets do not look close to being calibrated the same - the contrast and/or back lighting on the Samsung looks cranked much higher than the Vizio. If you look at the jacket, you can see more detail on the Samsung than the Vizio. But look at the shirt (especially the buttons) and it's blown out on the Samsung. The only real apples to apples you'd get would be if both TVs were calibrated to an equal standard.

I do agree with your last sentence - your own eyes seeing each TV in person is the the best way to tell what looks best to you as that is all that really matters."

I agree 100%... Have had samsungs LED's and LCD's for 15 years. Anyone who calibrates with dynamic contrast on and native black whatever its called on, needs a refresher course on samsung 101 . .. these items always blow out whites and blacks crushed.. That has been samsungs MO for years... I will be purchasing the p65 .
Dynamic Contrast: This setting is a software based contrast enhancer that automatically or "dynamically" balances and makes adjustments to the screen contrast level (in real time) for an optimal setting.

Many “experts” recommend turning it off because they feel it "crushes" the blacks too much and "blows out" some of the highlights (clipped whites), which also leads to a change in the gamma curve.

Nevertheless, I do find that this setting does significantly improve the picture quality of certain content by increasing the "apparent" or "perceived" contrast ratio and black levels adding more "punch" and "depth" to the picture giving it a sharper almost 3D appearance. However, keep in mind that setting "Dynamic Contrast" too high will result in a loss of detail in both bright and dark areas.

(I have mine set to either "Medium" or "High" depending on the content being viewed.)

Source: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1922161-official-2015-samsung-4k-suhd-js9000-series-curved-smart-tv-thread-63.html#post39776650
I actually agree, Dynamic contrast seems to hurt blacks more then it helps. I thought the black shirt looked horrible on the JS9500 in the example above

I would like to have seen that test without it on instead.

Reactions: TinyRK

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Why do I need a controlled viewing environment. 95% of the living rooms in the US are not controlled environments and neither is my living room. Most people hook the TV up to there cable/sat/OTA connection and watch TV. Or watch standard Netflix or Hulu. And Vizio Upsclaing do nothing for them Now sure if they rent a UHD DV movie they will see what the TV is capable of
You have the set, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also have had difficulty capturing black levels and blooming with my phone camera (lumia 950 so the camera is excellent). Pictures I take just do not capture what my eyes see. I dont see blooming, but the camera does.
Glad to hear it. So far it sounds like even the 55" is approaching plasma-like blacks. Very interesting what FALD can do for a traditionally poor-contrast screen type. I wonder if Vizio had to tune the FALD algorithm differently to compensate.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,191
Just set up my P65 yesterday. I love the picture but I've had some random reboots (3 so far) after casting via Netflix and YouTube.

I'm considering a reset but not sure where the problem lies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a known bug. I'd report it though and check for updates for the casting app regularly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
@thomasfxlt Does the restaurant scene, after opening credits roll, in Dare Devil Season 2 episode 13 look "grainy" to you with your current settings? For the lack of better words, there's "flickering" in the picture. I will see if I can capture it on camera. This is the 4k version of Dare Devil.

Has anyone else noticed that in this episode, in that scene in particular? There's some graininess on JS9500 but its more pronounced on the Vizio.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
@thomasfxlt Does the restaurant scene, after opening credits roll, in Dare Devil Season 2 episode 13 look "grainy" to you with your current settings? For the lack of better words, there's "flickering" in the picture. I will see if I can capture it on camera. This is the 4k version of Dare Devil.

Has anyone else noticed that in this episode, in that scene in particular? There's some graininess on JS9500 but its more pronounced on the Vizio.
I've only seen that when it takes Netflix time to get up to 4k resolution because of time of day and heavy network traffic.
At the beginning of a show.

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
Killing me that you guys all get to play and us East Coasters are still hosed. BB website says pickup Wednesday now but I haven't gotten an email to confirm that.

Mark this is one thing that BB has really messed up on. It's not faaaaair waaah =p

·
Registered
118 Posts
@AVmanic, it's hard to explain, but it happened later in the episode too. In particular it happens with "whites" but not all "whites" A police officer was wearing a shirt and it was a bit flickery/glittery side. But later in show, there were some white cop cars, and they did not have the same "particle" affect.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
@AVmanic, it's hard to explain, but it happened later in the episode too. In particular it happens with "whites" but not all "whites" A police officer was wearing a shirt and it was a bit flickery/glittery side. But later in show, there were some white cop cars, and they did not have the same "particle" affect.
I don't see this issue on my js9500, or on my x950b. Just checked those scenes. Grain is apparent, (it's actually filmed that way) but no flickering. Brightness/contrast or some other setting may be set too high on the Vizio?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Killing me that you guys all get to play and us East Coasters are still hosed. BB website says pickup Wednesday now but I haven't gotten an email to confirm that.

Mark this is one thing that BB has really messed up on. It's not faaaaair waaah =p
I got mine friday... MA :)

Reactions: Kadath

·
Registered
540 Posts
Got here about 30 mins ago and just setting up now .

Tow a few goes to get on wifi (had to send a text for passcode) but this could have been down to me inputting wrong password multiple times .

Although I checked my AirPlay app and both screen and tablet showed as connected when tablet said I wasn't .

After that it went straight into an upgrade screen .

1181 - 1200 of 64785 Posts