AVS Forum banner

13301 - 13320 of 64785 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Listen, I'm using AVS for it's intended purpose. I've been here a while, the function of this forum is to discuss THE SCIENCE around these things. Listen, I'm aware there are plants and fanboys (ironic user name I khow) but what the lot of you are doing is supressing an unfortunate truth about one set in the line. It helps nobody. The p50's had a batch with a wifi issue, it's not unreasonable to assume the initial p65's have bad panels.
For the record, I have a p65 with zero yellow banding. My set was delivered by Best Buy on April 13th so it was an early batch. I watched "in harms way" (black and white) 2 days ago and saw zero color banding. And I was looking since you've been mentioning it a lot lately. So it's not all p65's, that's for sure.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Dumb question but is there any way to view Dolby Vision content on this without renting from Vudu? I couldn't find anything on YouTube asI assume it does not support it yet? Perhaps some sample files i can stick on a thumb drive and test?
I don't think you'll find any DV content on YouTube since Google uses their VP9 compression instead of H.265. I could be wrong, but I think H.265 is used industry wide for copy protection, even though H.265 royalties are 5x higher than H.264 and VP9 is open source.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
This "issue" has been discussed multiple times with multiple theories. Please use the search tool to find all of this discussion, you will come to find a lot of your assumptions and questions have been brought up plenty and is nothing new here. I want the P65 but think I'm sticking with the P50 due to the yellow band issues of the P65. If a new batch is sent out which seems like it will be since supply is so scarce right now, then I may rethink it. The P65 would be great to have, plus would help with my viewing angle debate compared to the P55, but I have grown to absolutely love this P50. Gaming is awesome I must say. I now have not only a Cal Day and Cal Night for movies and cable but now have created a custom Game Day and Game Night modes. Love how it allows you to have so many settings at your disposal.

PS.To whomever provided the VUDU UHD movie list link has made my day...seeing Goodfellas available in UHD is a glory in itself. I'm gonna go get the papers get the papers.

I have many different settings myself. I also have my "Calibrated Default", which is the middle ground for any source. I need this for the others in my house using this display. I can't go through the trouble of having them switch picture modes all the time for something they probably wouldn't even notice :)

Reactions: turts85

·
Registered
207 Posts
Today the display wouldn't turn on via the tablet, my phone, or the regular remote. Had to unplug the display to get it back on. Things like this make me question the quality of Vizios products.

This display is not for folks who are not tech savvy or don't have patience. Luckily it's in my man cave and I'm the only one who uses it. I couldn't deal with trying to trouble shoot the display everytime the wife and kids had an issue with the connectivity or non-responsiveness...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I use to work for Directv, and had customers that had purchased a new TV the same day I arrived to install their service and the display wouldn't come on, out of the box. Samsungs, Sony's, and Panasonic's and even some of the off brand models. The main reason I have a Vizio today is because, the Sony 900C I bought had light bleed at the top and bottom of the display. Nothing I did fixed it, so here we are.

But I didn't come here and tell everyone that it puts the quality of Sony's displays in question.

Call Vizio and let them know, or exchange it for another brand.

This is not a poop on Vizio thread.
Mine has done the same thing. I emailed vizio about it and they are forwarding it to the proper dept. You should really contact vizio and let them know. The more people that contact them and let them know the more likely something will be done.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I took a couple photos of my P65 last night of some white test patterns and wanted to share how good my uniformity is.

I can barely make out a faint center yellow band if I really try to see it on the 100% pattern.
It looks like there might be some yellow on the left and right, but it's so faint I don't even care.

I don't know about you guys, but having played the panel lottery before, this is totally satisfactory to me. I don't expect perfection and I'm certainly not going to start looking for dead pixels on that white screen. I'm going to go back to enjoying the heck out of it this tv. After all, it is the weekend!

The second photo looks like there are 3 horizontal artifacts that look like dse from my phone, but this is not on my TV.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I took a couple photos of my P65 last night of some white test patterns and wanted to share how good my uniformity is.

I can barely make out a faint center yellow band if I really try to see it on the 100% pattern.

It looks like there might be some yellow on the left and right, but it's so faint I don't even care.

I don't know about you guys, but having played the panel lottery before, this is totally satisfactory to me. I don't expect perfection and I'm certainly not going to start looking for dead pixels on that white screen. I'm going to go back to enjoying the heck out of it this tv. After all, it is the weekend!

The second photo looks like there are 3 horizontal artifacts that look like dse from my phone, but this is not on my TV.

Mine looks the same, watch some black and white.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I will finally comment on this "yellow band issue". I only started to think I was seeing it while watching hockey only after reading comments in here.

Reactions: htwaits

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Wtf is out that's in b&w that i'd want to watch?

The only thing that comes to mind i've ever seen is some filler episode of Supernatural in b&w.

Are you serious, like actually serious?

This is AVS forum.
This isn't some "muh HiFef tb is gud fer tha big game" forum.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I will finally comment on this "yellow band issue". I only started to think I was seeing it while watching hockey only after reading comments in here.
it's there. worse at tbe top (or the bottom, depending on how the panel was installed).

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I use to work for Directv, and had customers that had purchased a new TV the same day I arrived to install their service and the display wouldn't come on, out of the box. Samsungs, Sony's, and Panasonic's and even some of the off brand models. The main reason I have a Vizio today is because, the Sony 900C I bought had light bleed at the top and bottom of the display. Nothing I did fixed it, so here we are.

But I didn't come here and tell everyone that it puts the quality of Sony's displays in question.

Call Vizio and let them know, or exchange it for another brand.

This is not a poop on Vizio thread.
I understand that every brand has its issues. I have a Samsung JS8500 and it has light bleed too. It's also slow to respond sometimes. However, I've never had a TV not turn on via two remotes. Have owned many different brands too.

Honestly, I've always been a little biased against Vizio due to their perceived quality and price. The fact that there are so many hiccups isn't raising my confidence level. Glad I got that extended warranty too.

The PQ is good and the price is great for the features you get so I guess I'll be content until I step up to OLED.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Are you serious, like actually serious?

This is AVS forum.
This isn't some "muh HiFef tb is gud fer tha big game" forum.
Are you serious? Like actually serious? Because the thing your 98% would apply to is that it is likely 98% of people are not watching black and white content.
I don't think you are understanding that no one is arguing with you about if the tvs have yellow bands. When running test screens my p75 is quite a bit worse than others who posted pictures so far. I cannot see these bands in anything I am watching. Not in cable, not in movies, not in gaming. The only time i may possibly see something is when hockey is on.

I think what you don't understand is that yellow banding is not uncommon for these types of displays. And if you go searching for them you will most likely find them on every set from every manufacturer. If you are not happy with it then return or exchange it. Complaining on this forum surely won't change the yellow bands on your tv.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Are you serious? Like actually serious? Because the thing your 98% would apply to is that it is likely 98% of people are not watching black and white content.

I don't think you are understanding that no one is arguing with you about if the tvs have yellow bands. When running test screens my p75 is quite a bit worse than others who posted pictures so far. I cannot see these bands in anything I am watching. Not in cable, not in movies, not in gaming. The only time i may possibly see something is when hockey is on.

I think what you don't understand is that yellow banding is not uncommon for these types of displays. And if you go searching for them you will most likely find them on every set from every manufacturer. If you are not happy with it then return or exchange it. Complaining on this forum surely won't change the yellow bands on your tv.

98% isn't a bad estimate considering everyone seems to have or.

·
Coyote Waits
27,239 Posts
htwaits after watching the Sharks last night could you please ban your wife from ever attending a Sharks game again? :D
Our oldest son gave her a ticket last night so she is 2 and 1 for the playoff games she has attended. No way am I getting involved. Her hockey roots go all the way from 19th century Monterey CA and then further back to the Azores Islands. Then on the other side of her family ... :eek:

·
Coyote Waits
27,239 Posts
13301 - 13320 of 64785 Posts