AVS Forum banner

13801 - 13820 of 64783 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
As you can see in my photos my screen problem was certainly noticeable. I'd never had a problem at all before and it came out of nowhere. But then after being off for about an hour and turning it back on the picture has been fine. I've already contacted Vizio for a replacement.

I'd like to know how such a serious looking problem could come out of nowhere and then go away? I'm also worried that my replacement display will have the yellow banding problem. I did have the option of a repair and i'm wondering if i should take it. Because then I might keep the same screen and not have to worry about the yellow banding.

Also have anyone else had screen problems as bad as in my photos?

My first 55 started that after 10 days however it would not go away. Vizio recommended replacing which I did through BBY. I now wish I had asked if repair was possible as my first set was close to perfect (DSE, pixels, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Watching the new episode of gotham caused it to happen multiple times. I do have the new firmware. It happens whenever the backround scene changes fast.
Yesterday's "Flash" finale caused it several times as well. (Dish Hopper 3). I'm still on 1.1.6.12, but once I get the new firmware, I'm going to rewatch that episode, because it was more noticeable on it than anything else I've watched.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Are you passing the 24hz signal through an AVR? Please contact Vizio Support to report the problem. I opened a support ticket with them a couple weeks ago.
Yeah, I have a Pioneer VSX-1018AH in the middle of the chain. I also get a lot of video dropouts when I first start up my equipment via my Harmony remote. It can take up to a minute of what I assume is handshaking.

I'll be following your advice and will call support after I get home from work.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
And that's a DV program..... Especially bad idea
Oh good Lord. This is what I have been talking about all along.

What everyone is missing is that when RTINGS.com calibrated their P-series they measured the following before calibration and after calibration.

Before Calibration
White Balance dE : 1.34
Color dE : 2.5044
Gamma : 2.23

After Calibration
White Balance : 0.26
Color dE : 2.0181
Gamma : 2.2

Even RTINGS.com admits that a value of 1-3 is only noticeable by professionals. Values under 1 aren’t noticeable to anyone including professionals. Also differences of less than 1 aren’t distinguishable to any human either.

Literally the P-series is only noticeably out of spec for REC.709 to professionals in Calibrated Dark mode even without any changes.

Even after calibration the only thing that improved was white balance and that improved by just 1 dE. Less than 1 difference is not distinguishable to any human. Only the measuring equipment can determine that difference.

Both the overall Color average and the Gamma were within spec to any human’s eye right from the start. The improvement after calibration was indistinguishable.

RTINGS.com also mentions some but not all of the issues that calibration can cause.

What baffles me is that this Tv was nearly perfect with respect to calibration to start with and yet people still chase the “White Unicorn” trying to improve on something that isn’t broken. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

All I have ever been trying to claim is that you will almost certainly do more damage to the image quality by attempting to calibrate it than if you just left it alone. Even if you know exactly what you are doing and you don’t touch any of the settings that are broken you still won’t noticeably improve it. So why do it at all?
This goes double for DV HDR material. You will almost certainly mess up the picture if you touch any of the controls in DV mode.

I hate to sound like a broken record but I keep on saying this and no one listens. If you don’t believe me then read the RTINGS.com explanation page about this and really take a good hard look at the calibration results and notes that they show for the 2016 Vizio P-series. You will see that calibrating this specific TV is pointless and more likely to damage the image quality than improve it.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/movies/color-accuracy

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Matt, I can second this question. I've been to two different stores in my area, Puyallup and Tacoma, WA Best Buys in the last two days. The LG associate frustrated me to no end bad mouthing the Vizio 65P that had been damaged. So I didn't feel I was getting a good representation of the product there yesterday. Then today I was at the Tacoma store and they didn't have it up because they don't have the tablet in hand and couldn't sync it up through their phone, but I appreciated them trying. I'm headed to the Federal Way store tomorrow and hoping that the 3rd try is the charm. Please have your merchandisers or their district managers check on this personally. I'd love to see it up close and personal before I make my final purchase decision. Thank you for your time.
bellevue and northgate both have the 55 and 65 up for display. northgate has a 50" as well and i paired that tablet to the 65 and 55. issaquah had the 65 in stock a couple days ago. good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We might have spoken to the same guy cozmogeek. He was very helpful and the nice thing was it was against the wall next to the Sony I'm looking at too. It was a nice change from them being stacked next to the LG OLED's display. I definitely agree that is a big mistake in showcasing the Vizio's next to them. Anyway, looks like I'm all caught up on current events. Nothing new. Now I just need to be patient or pick up one of the runner ups. I'm not ready to give my money to Best Buy and eventually they will hit and the price might go down. Appreciate those that have given me useful information in the forum.
My best buy had the p65 next to the OLED too. I didn't think it was a mistake at all. The Vizio probably has the best black levels of any LED, and is the closest in quality to the OLED.

I'm still a little tempted to return the Vizio and buy the 65EF9500 off amazon, which would be cheaper after cashing in my amazon credit... hmm..

·
Registered
319 Posts

What everyone is missing is that when RTINGS.com calibrated their P-series they measured the following before calibration and after calibration.

Before Calibration

After Calibration

Even RTINGS.com admits that a value of 1-3 is only noticeable by professionals. Values under 1 aren’t noticeable to anyone including professionals. Also differences of less than 1 aren’t distinguishable to any human either.

Literally the P-series is only noticeably out of spec for REC.709 to professionals in Calibrated Dark mode even without any changes.

Even after calibration the only thing that improved was white balance and that improved by just 1 dE. Less than 1 difference is not distinguishable to any human. Only the measuring equipment can determine that difference.

Both the overall Color average and the Gamma were within spec to any human’s eye right from the start. The improvement after calibration was indistinguishable.

RTINGS.com also mentions some but not all of the issues that calibration can cause.

What baffles me is that this Tv was nearly perfect with respect to calibration to start with and yet people still chase the “White Unicorn” trying to improve on something that isn’t broken. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

All I have ever been trying to claim is that you will almost certainly do more damage to the image quality by attempting to calibrate it than if you just left it alone. Even if you know exactly what you are doing and you don’t touch any of the settings that are broken you still won’t noticeably improve it. So why do it at all?
This goes double for DV HDR material. You will almost certainly mess up the picture if you touch any of the controls in DV mode.

I hate to sound like a broken record but I keep on saying this and no one listens. If you don’t believe me then read the RTINGS.com explanation page about this and really take a good hard look at the calibration results and notes that they show for the 2016 Vizio P-series. You will see that calibrating this specific TV is pointless and more likely to damage the image quality than improve it.

Good lord so what I was bored. People have different viewing characteristics. Not every person likes it the same way. If it looks bad I'll change it again. God lord they are my eyes and my monitor. Even people with calibration equipment set their settings different ways to see which they like best. It takes a long time but I have it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Also if you read the post afterwards I made the mistake of launching a dv program. All settings are in regular pic mode. And I'm using what I can from the mp4 calibration file free here on avs

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,809

Before Calibration

After Calibration

What I recommend for those interested is entering the Offset/Gain corrections found in the Calibrations thread for the specific P model and let it be. Settings in the CMS are separate for DV and only can be edited while DV content is playing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm seriously considering buying a P Series 50 inch over a 65 inch 1080 P D Series that was released this year. Do you guys feel the picture quality for playing PS4 games and watching Netflix Amazon Prime will be worth the downgrade in screen size?

I generally sit around 12 feet from the tv unless I am playing video games and need to be closer to focus.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm seriously considering buying a P Series 50 inch over a 65 inch 1080 P D Series that was released this year. Do you guys feel the picture quality for playing PS4 games and watching Netflix Amazon Prime will be worth the downgrade in screen size?

I generally sit around 12 feet from the tv unless I am playing video games and need to be closer to focus.
If you want to be closer 4k is better.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Apologize for being offline... been very busy here launching the rest of our CAST products. Wanted to get you more information on the firmware update being rolled out to P Series customers.

Version 1.1.14.4 has the following updates (high level descriptions):

- Local dimming algorithm improvements (better contrast and black levels)
- Stuttering and frame drops fixed
- Volume control improved over CEC/ARC
- Discreet IR codes fixed
- Calibration at 30% Blue fixed
- Spotify audio output to soundbars improved
- Cast more reliably supports 24fps content
- Bluetooth pairing improved
- Significant improvements for ATMOS over ARC
- Cleaned up some streaming issues with Vudu, Vadio, Netflix
- Youtube queue issue fixed
- Game mode improved (backlight timing)
- Numerous other small fixes and improvements

The update is rolling out slowly this week and will accelerate as time goes on. Looking forward to comments on the update and further suggestions for improvements.

I will attempt to answer questions as schedule permits but will be able to spend more time with you next week.

Matt
Thank you. Just simply Thank you for everything you and your company do for their customers. It is greatly appreciated.

I do have one request though.

Is there any way for customers to request that they get the HDR10 update sooner rather than later in the queue? Can we give you our serial numbers or something like that?

That one update is going to be a big deal to some people. It will be a real shame if those people are waiting a significant amount of time while others that might not even have a UHD blu ray player already have the update.

I know we can call Vizio support and request that they update the queue. However, that seems like it would cost a lot of money for Vizio to field all of those calls. A simpler more efficient way seems like just sending you a private message with our serial number in the subject line.

If something like that is not possible then I understand. I just wanted to try to head off something before it became an issue.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Apologize for being offline... been very busy here launching the rest of our CAST products. Wanted to get you more information on the firmware update being rolled out to P Series customers.

Version 1.1.14.4 has the following updates (high level descriptions):

- Local dimming algorithm improvements (better contrast and black levels)
- Stuttering and frame drops fixed
- Volume control improved over CEC/ARC
- Discreet IR codes fixed
- Calibration at 30% Blue fixed
- Spotify audio output to soundbars improved
- Cast more reliably supports 24fps content
- Bluetooth pairing improved
- Significant improvements for ATMOS over ARC
- Cleaned up some streaming issues with Vudu, Vadio, Netflix
- Youtube queue issue fixed
- Game mode improved (backlight timing)
- Numerous other small fixes and improvements

The update is rolling out slowly this week and will accelerate as time goes on. Looking forward to comments on the update and further suggestions for improvements.

I will attempt to answer questions as schedule permits but will be able to spend more time with you next week.

Matt
This is what customer service looks like!

·
Registered
87 Posts
980ti, What settings did you change ?

Yea the input lag isn't that bad on HDMI-5 but i definitely notice it for CSGO and BF4 on any other port and coming from a PG279Q (2ms/144hz) its super noticeable...#firstworldproblems
nVidia control panel: Display > Adjust Desktop Color Settings > Content Type Reported From Display > [Desktop Programs]

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
What I recommend for those interested is entering the Offset/Gain corrections found in the Calibrations thread for the specific P model and let it be. Settings in the CMS are separate for DV and only can be edited while DV content is playing.
To be clear. Are you suggesting copying offset and gain settings for REC.709, or HDR material, or both? I would never recommend copying those specific settings for any content on any TV. Those settings are very TV specific even within an individual model line.

You could probably copy the Saturation values someone achieves with measuring equipment but I wouldn’t even recommend that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you want to be closer 4k is better.

My couch is around 12 feet away. I feel getting a 65 inch tv would allow me to sit from the couch while playing video games while being able to focus on the larger image. It's a primary reason I am interested in getting a larger tv.

I have heard people say that from that viewing distance even a 65 inch tv wouldn't benefit from 4K. Furthermore the PS4 Neo with 4K capability won't be released until Fall this year.

I have read extensive reviews on the P Series as well as D Series. Some reviews contradict others. Some suggest the D series has a better refresh rate for gaming while noting that 4K is essentially worthless from my viewing distance while claiming that a 65 inch screen benefits from 4K. This leaves me confused and wondering which tv I should purchase.

If I sat from 12 feet on my couch playing video games on the 2016 1080p D Series would I even notice a significant quality difference compared to the 2016 P Series?

My initial guess is that the contrast and color quality on the P Series alone will blow the entry level tv away.

I am purchasing this weekend so any detailed advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info. I guess my next question would be, if I get an AVR that can pass through 1080p120 and 4k60, should I just do the AVR to HDMI5 or is there some other benefit to using the display port directly to HDMI5 and using the HDMI output on the card to the AVR just for audio? Then I would send the rest of my sources from the AVR to say HDMI4 for bluray, cable, etc.? I know the HDMI inputs have different specifications on the TV HDMI 1-4 vs HDMI5. I have a P75-C1 on order and i'm trying to get my setup ready for when it arrives.
I am also interested in getting an AVR that could handle this in the future. Would like to see what recommendations there are for this TV specifically.

My initial guess is that the contrast and color quality on the P Series alone will blow the entry level tv away.
Pretty much just this. There's going to be a huge difference in FALD due the greatly reduced number of active zones in the D series. If you just want a cheap, big display with a fast refresh rate and low input lag then the D is a good choice. If you really care about image quality then the P is the way to go.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My couch is around 12 feet away. I feel getting a 65 inch tv would allow me to sit from the couch while playing video games while being able to focus on the larger image. It's a primary reason I am interested in getting a larger tv.

I have heard people say that from that viewing distance even a 65 inch tv wouldn't benefit from 4K. Furthermore the PS4 Neo with 4K capability won't be released until Fall this year.

I have read extensive reviews on the P Series as well as D Series. Some reviews contradict others. Some suggest the D series has a better refresh rate for gaming while noting that 4K is essentially worthless from my viewing distance while claiming that a 65 inch screen benefits from 4K. This leaves me confused and wondering which tv I should purchase.

If I sat from 12 feet on my couch playing video games on the 2016 1080p D Series would I even notice a significant quality difference compared to the 2016 P Series?

I am purchasing this weekend so any detailed advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
The picture quality is better, a lot better on the p series. If you don't or can't change your seating arrangement I guess get the d. If it was me I'd wait to get the 65p with $ saved. Its just that much better.

·
Registered
20,224 Posts
Thank you. Just simply Thank you for everything you and your company do for their customers. It is greatly appreciated.

I do have one request though.

Is there any way for customers to request that they get the HDR10 update sooner rather than later in the queue? Can we give you our serial numbers or something like that?

That one update is going to be a big deal to some people. It will be a real shame if those people are waiting a significant amount of time while others that might not even have a UHD blu ray player already have the update.

I know we can call Vizio support and request that they update the queue. However, that seems like it would cost a lot of money for Vizio to field all of those calls. A simpler more efficient way seems like just sending you a private message with our serial number in the subject line.

If something like that is not possible then I understand. I just wanted to try to head off something before it became an issue.

That request would come from everyone and their grandmother. That just doesn't make logical sense, unless you were setting up a beta testing group.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well I think I'm close to sold on just getting the P Series. All I hear is great things. Do you guys feel the 50 inch I am looking at having a 60hz refresh rate will make a significant difference in the quality of picture for PS4 and Netflix/Amazon Prime?

13801 - 13820 of 64783 Posts