AVS Forum banner

13821 - 13840 of 64783 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
What I recommend for those interested is entering the Offset/Gain corrections found in the Calibrations thread for the specific P model and let it be. Settings in the CMS are separate for DV and only can be edited while DV content is playing.
Still nothing to try out on the p50 yet. But that mp4 file does help with a few settings. Not able to do them all though with out equipment
I am also interested in getting an AVR that could handle this in the future. Would like to see what recommendations there are for this TV specifically.

Pretty much just this. There's going to be a huge difference in FALD due the greatly reduced number of active zones in the D series. If you just want a cheap, big display with a fast refresh rate and low input lag then the D is a good choice. If you really care about image quality then the P is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info. I guess my next question would be, if I get an AVR that can pass through 1080p120 and 4k60, should I just do the AVR to HDMI5 or is there some other benefit to using the display port directly to HDMI5 and using the HDMI output on the card to the AVR just for audio? Then I would send the rest of my sources from the AVR to say HDMI4 for bluray, cable, etc.? I know the HDMI inputs have different specifications on the TV HDMI 1-4 vs HDMI5. I have a P75-C1 on order and i'm trying to get my setup ready for when it arrives.
If you buy a gpu that is 2.0 compatible - nvidia 9 and soon to be 10 series AND an avr that passes 4k 60fps then you will not need this adaptor. Your current gpu will not pass anything over 1080 60fps.... I am planning to wait to see what amd brings out in the fall before I blindly upgrade to nvidias 10 series cards. I will be looking for a single gpu that can handle 4k 60 fps and hdr support on a new card.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I'm seriously considering buying a P Series 50 inch over a 65 inch 1080 P D Series that was released this year. Do you guys feel the picture quality for playing PS4 games and watching Netflix Amazon Prime will be worth the downgrade in screen size?

I generally sit around 12 feet from the tv unless I am playing video games and need to be closer to focus.

A 50" 4K viewed at 12' would be a waste of money. Stick to 1080p at that viewing distance.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,824
To be clear. Are you suggesting copying offset and gain settings for REC.709, or HDR material, or both? I would never recommend copying those specific settings for any content on any TV. Those settings are very TV specific even within an individual model line.

You could probably copy the Saturation values someone achieves with measuring equipment but I wouldn’t even recommend that.

There are color identity trends with each model that look to be generally repeatable. Making a gain correction for the blue channel for instance is a reasonable thing. Beyond that is an enthusiast endeavor.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yesterday's "Flash" finale caused it several times as well. (Dish Hopper 3). I'm still on 1.1.6.12, but once I get the new firmware, I'm going to rewatch that episode, because it was more noticeable on it than anything else I've watched.
I did not notice any issues while watching the Season Finale of Flash last night on my P65 through my Tivo Roamio Pro. Have you opened a support ticket with Vizio?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yeah, I have a Pioneer VSX-1018AH in the middle of the chain. I also get a lot of video dropouts when I first start up my equipment via my Harmony remote. It can take up to a minute of what I assume is handshaking.

I'll be following your advice and will call support after I get home from work.
Also set the output of your devices to 60hz. I have noticed with my setup, if I have 24hz enabled on my Tivo it takes a little longer to perform the handshake (display video) when powering on or switching inputs back to the Tivo/AVR (HDMI1)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well I think I'm close to sold on just getting the P Series. All I hear is great things. Do you guys feel the 50 inch I am looking at having a 60hz refresh rate will make a significant difference in the quality of picture for PS4 and Netflix/Amazon Prime?
It's what I have and I enjoy it a lot. My computer rig misses me. Lol. I'm watching shows more than I have in years

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
I did not notice any issues while watching the Season Finale of Flash last night on my P65 through my Tivo Roamio Pro. Have you opened a support ticket with Vizio?
Yes, I've mentioned the screen-tearing when reporting other issues to Vizio (I currently have three case numbers).
Any of Cisco's "Vibe" scenes, and/or race scenes involving lightning flashes made it very evident.
Are you on the latest firmware (I'm not yet, and I hadn't done the customary 10 minute warm-up/power cycle).

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
That request would come from everyone and their grandmother. That just doesn't make logical sense, unless you were setting up a beta testing group.
Sent from nowhere
Everyone is going to get the update eventually. Why wouldn’t you give it to the people who request it first? Either Matt would get a ton of private messages or Vizio Support will get a ton of phone calls. I am guessing the private messages to Matt cost Vizio less than the support calls would. After all Matt could just ignore the private messages. Vizio support cannot ignore the phone calls.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thank you. Just simply Thank you for everything you and your company do for their customers. It is greatly appreciated.

I do have one request though.

Is there any way for customers to request that they get the HDR10 update sooner rather than later in the queue? Can we give you our serial numbers or something like that?

That one update is going to be a big deal to some people. It will be a real shame if those people are waiting a significant amount of time while others that might not even have a UHD blu ray player already have the update.

I know we can call Vizio support and request that they update the queue. However, that seems like it would cost a lot of money for Vizio to field all of those calls. A simpler more efficient way seems like just sending you a private message with our serial number in the subject line.

If something like that is not possible then I understand. I just wanted to try to head off something before it became an issue.
I kind of agree with this idea, as many of us here are willing "Beta-testers", and several already have UHD Blu-Ray players. Not to mention, there's a large number of different AVRs/Cable boxes/Etc. in this group. Plus, you already have a built-in way of discussing results of the firmware updates in this forum. Maybe a link to download it for members here.
(BTW, when I called and requested that my P75 be added to the queue, I was told I had to just wait my turn).

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
1. I'm not sure opening up 20 trouble tickets for the same problem is going to be the deciding factor on if this is fixable or not. Many, many of us have reported this issue and it's yet to be addressed.

2. You wouldn't see the problem anyway unless you watched it from a cold start and were looking for it. Try turning your TV on in the morning and immediately FF your DVR and watch for a translucent line in the center of your display. If after a couple mornings you don't see it, chances are your TV isn't affected.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Even at 65 inches?
There's a chart somewhere that shows optimal viewing distance for TV sizes, and whether or not 4k is worth it at those distances. Personally, if I'm in the market for a new TV, I'm tossing that chart aside and asking myself if I'm investing in the future or the present, without regards to my current viewing distance (people move, buy new furniture, re-arrange their living rooms, etc). Buying a 1080p TV that suits your needs right now when 4k/HDR is the future is not a good investment, especially if you plan to keep the TV for a while (my current main TV, I've had for 10 years). You'll save money today, but in a couple of years you'll likely wish you'd spent a little more for the 4k set.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I kind of agree with this idea, as many of us here are willing "Beta-testers", and several already have UHD Blu-Ray players. Not to mention, there's a large number of different AVRs/Cable boxes/Etc. in this group. Plus, you already have a built-in way of discussing results of the firmware updates in this forum. Maybe a link to download it for members here.
(BTW, when I called and requested that my P75 be added to the queue, I was told I had to just wait my turn).
Well as long as the force update works, I am good.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Well as long as the force update works, I am good.
There is no such thing as a "Force Update". None of those methods move you up in the queue.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
There is no such thing as a "Force Update". None of those methods move you up in the queue.
oh, did not realize that. I know I didn't have the update but did the "add new device" thing and it worked. I'm with you then that it would be nice to be able to provide Matt our serial number. Especially since they probably want people with the UHD players to get the update first.

·
Registered
332 Posts
As you can see in my photos my screen problem was certainly noticeable. I'd never had a problem at all before and it came out of nowhere. But then after being off for about an hour and turning it back on the picture has been fine. I've already contacted Vizio for a replacement.
I'd like to know how such a serious looking problem could come out of nowhere and then go away? I'm also worried that my replacement display will have the yellow banding problem. I did have the option of a repair and i'm wondering if i should take it. Because then I might keep the same screen and not have to worry about the yellow banding.

Also have anyone else had screen problems as bad as in my photos?
Mine does this when watching Netflix via Dish Network. Vizio tech support told me it was probably due to my bandwidth dropping during playback.
Pretty sure that's not the case.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm seriously considering buying a P Series 50 inch over a 65 inch 1080 P D Series that was released this year. Do you guys feel the picture quality for playing PS4 games and watching Netflix Amazon Prime will be worth the downgrade in screen size?

I generally sit around 12 feet from the tv unless I am playing video games and need to be closer to focus.
@ 12 Feet, stick with the 65" 1080P. You will enjoy having the extra 15" screen space, at that distance.

13821 - 13840 of 64783 Posts