AVS Forum banner

13941 - 13960 of 64783 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
@Matt McRae Have you heard reports of Audio Lip sync issues on 24hz signals sent through an AVR to the TV? I know a few of us have mentioned it in this thread and I have opened a support ticket with Vizio regarding the matter. It does not seem to be specific to the AVR or the Device sending the 24hz signal. I can not be certain (need more testing) but it seems to cause a delay in the video appearing on the screen when changing to an input with a 24hz signal. The delay is not huge but is noticeably different then if the devices are set to 60hz.

Edit: If the 24hz signal is connected directly to the TV then no lip sync issues occur. Again I will need to do more testing with the delay in the image appearing on the display.
I just got off the telephone with Vizio Support. They, in more words than this, said that the issue is on my end and not with the HDTV.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just got off the telephone with Vizio Support. They, in more words than this, said that the issue is on my end and not with the HDTV.
It appears editing the above post will delete in on mobile, but I also wanted to say that the lip sybc issue is still there in HDMI 2 and, to a lesser extent, HDMI 5.

·
Coyote Waits
27,239 Posts
Quoting my own post here ... but I just got a call from Vizio. I canceled my order this morning after I saw that I could get it fulfilled by BB (and I also got cold feet in regards to being able return/exchange in the case of a lemon), and the rep just called me back to tell me they were getting ready to ship mine out today, and asked if I still needed to cancel. I said yeah, I'd already ordered from BB for a Monday delivery, but maybe this means some of you who ordered through Vizio will be getting your shipping notices soon (I placed my order 11 days ago). Good luck!
The only difference between BB and Vizio purchases that I'm aware of is that you can return a set to BB because you changed your mind.

·
Coyote Waits
27,239 Posts
Sure did. I appreciate the suggestion, though! Sometimes it's easy to overlook things. Sadly, this one's heading back to the manufacturer.

Oh, I'd also just like to say, in case Matt sees this: Vizio has the best phone support I've ever experienced, despite the fact that they couldn't fix my problem. I talked to two people, and they were kind, patient, and, most shockingly, deeply familiar with the product. So Vizio gets an A+ from the guy with no TV.

OK, I'll stop clogging the thread now.
Did you see this post from Matt?

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you buy a gpu that is 2.0 compatible - nvidia 9 and soon to be 10 series AND an avr that passes 4k 60fps then you will not need this adaptor. Your current gpu will not pass anything over 1080 60fps.... I am planning to wait to see what amd brings out in the fall before I blindly upgrade to nvidias 10 series cards. I will be looking for a single gpu that can handle 4k 60 fps and hdr support on a new card.
I am not sticking with my GTX 470 for much longer. I am building a new computer around the new Nvidia 1080 for my new p75-c1. I am going to buy the GTX 1080 in about a month when I can get an aftermarket version for $599ish instead of the founders edition for $699. It should be able to do close to a constant 4k at 60fps with high settings from the benchmarking i have seen without having to run SLI. At $600 that is going to be the best speed vs money card around for a while.

I guess what i am getting at is, can I stick with the AVR I have and use the adapter to keep from having to upgrade my high end AVR (Pioneer Elite SC-55) by sending the video separate to the TV and just run the audio from HDMI on the new card to my current AVR? Or would ARC work just as well? If I want to buy a comparable AVR it will cost me at least another 1200+ dollars that I'd rather not spend if I can do a similar setup to what you have and use my current equipment for a while. As long as I am not missing out on any quality doing so. It is really a great AVR other than no pass-through for 4k60 or 1080p120.

I really think that I am going to run the 1080p120 more than the 4k60, especially in fast paced FPS style or racing games. The 1080 should easily do that at max settings.

·
Coyote Waits
27,239 Posts
It appears editing the above post will delete in on mobile, but I also wanted to say that the lip sybc issue is still there in HDMI 2 and, to a lesser extent, HDMI 5.
Based on my understanding of your description of the problem, and that it goes away when you connect directly with the display, a standard diagnosis would almost always be that the problem isn't in your display.

If your display's video processing is letting the audio get ahead of the video, then the sync problem would certainly be there when the source is directly connected to the display and you are using the display's internal speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ARC Issues persist with new Firmware

Received the new firmware last night. My ARC issues still persist. I posted before - does anyone have ARC issues similar to mine?

Using the Vizio Supplied HDMI cable to my Onkyo TX-NR708 if Vizio's audio setting(s) are set to Auto or On it plays from the TV speakers exclusively. If set the Vizio Volume control to "off" i get 5-15 glorious seconds of ARC perfectly. Then it just drops and never comes back. Switching the Audio Setting on the Vizio back to "Auto" or "On" causes the AVR to show "TV Speaker On" and then it promptly powers off. I can power it back on and reproduce this all day 5-15 seconds at a time, but never anything more.

Anyone else having this?

I've reported to Vizio and as of today I was told i need to get a second ARC compatible receiver or Soundbar to see if it's a compatibility issue. Been very pleased with support up to this point, but I feel like that is a cop-out.... Especially considering the number of posts here attesting to known ARC issues. Specifically though - is anyone having issues similar to mine - or could mine in fact be some wonky compatibility issue between the P65-C1 and Onkyo TX-NR708?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,948
Received the new firmware last night. My ARC issues still persist. I posted before - does anyone have ARC issues similar to mine?

Using the Vizio Supplied HDMI cable to my Onkyo TX-NR708 if Vizio's audio setting(s) are set to Auto or On it plays from the TV speakers exclusively. If set the Vizio Volume control to "off" i get 5-15 glorious seconds of ARC perfectly. Then it just drops and never comes back. Switching the Audio Setting on the Vizio back to "Auto" or "On" causes the AVR to show "TV Speaker On" and then it promptly powers off. I can power it back on and reproduce this all day 5-15 seconds at a time, but never anything more.

Anyone else having this?

I've reported to Vizio and as of today I was told i need to get a second ARC compatible receiver or Soundbar to see if it's a compatibility issue. Been very pleased with support up to this point, but I feel like that is a cop-out.... Especially considering the number of posts here attesting to known ARC issues. Specifically though - is anyone having issues similar to mine - or could mine in fact be some wonky compatibility issue between the P65-C1 and Onkyo TX-NR708?

Have you tried PCM OR bitstream in the Audio settings?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am not sticking with my GTX 470 for much longer. I am building a new computer around the new Nvidia 1080 for my new p75-c1. I am going to buy the GTX 1080 in about a month when I can get an aftermarket version for $599ish instead of the founders edition for $699. It should be able to do close to a constant 4k at 60fps with high settings from the benchmarking i have seen without having to run SLI. At $600 that is going to be the best speed vs money card around for a while.

I guess what i am getting at is, can I stick with the AVR I have and use the adapter to keep from having to upgrade my high end AVR (Pioneer Elite SC-55) by sending the video separate to the TV and just run the audio from HDMI on the new card to my current AVR? Or would ARC work just as well? If I want to buy a comparable AVR it will cost me at least another 1200+ dollars that I'd rather not spend if I can do a similar setup to what you have and use my current equipment for a while. As long as I am not missing out on any quality doing so. It is really a great AVR other than no pass-through for 4k60 or 1080p120.

I really think that I am going to run the 1080p120 more than the 4k60, especially in fast paced FPS style or racing games. The 1080 should easily do that at max settings.
"I guess what i am getting at is, can I stick with the AVR I have and use the adapter to keep from having to upgrade my high end AVR (Pioneer Elite SC-55) by sending the video separate to the TV and just run the audio from HDMI on the new card to my current AVR? Or would ARC work just as well?" Yes, this is correct... I too see know reason to upgrade avr and this is why I am using this adaptor...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Some will tell you it's ok, some will tell you it's not. I'm erring on the side of caution since the difference is waiting 5 days. I've read some people who've been told by BB employees not to transport it flat, and when they said they were gonna do it anyway, they opened the box to make sure the screen was OK before it left, or noted on the receipt that the customer transported the box flat. From the BB site:

"Myth: Unlike a plasma TV, it's okay to lay an LCD or LED TV flat when transporting in a car
Reality: Larger LCD and LED TVs are constructed to have their weight balanced when set upright. So if you lay the screen flat, there won't be adequate support in the middle, which can lead to cracking or distortion on the edges if left that way over time. Add in the vibrations while driving a car, and the chance of cracking or distortion only increases."

There are probably waaaaaaay more people than not who get their TVs home OK lying flat. I'm just too paranoid to try it myself!

This!!!! For the people that have laid theirs flat in transport, they had a flat surface that did not leave room for warping the frame. It is possible to transport flat but you have to be sure nothing will be able to cause the frame to flex bend just a couple millimeters. The Vizio P does benefit from having an aluminum frame to enforce it, but to be safe it is always best to transport the TV in the same position the frame was designed to stand through its lifetime.

I went to the York, PA Best Buy this morning to finally see the new P series. They had a 75" in the Magnolia room that was not running. I asked about the 65" and the salesman took me to an end unit out in the store. It was not running either, but he played with it for a while (it kept timing out) and was able to get it up and running. He told me how impressed with it he was. He said it has FALD and I would have to pay over twice as much to get that in another brand. He also pointed out that it it has Dolby vision that is not available on Sony or Samsung. So the salesman certainly did not try to push me to another brand and pretty much praised the Vizio.

The demo is an another story. All of the 4K TVs in the store running HDR demos looked great. But the Vizio demo was just not up to par with the other brands. The average consumer would not see anything special about the TV, and would probably be attracted to the Samsung. Vizio needs a much better demo for the stores!
Are they still playing Thor on BR? I went to see that P75 a couple days after they installed it and only had the Cast screen displaying. I asked Ryan if he could hook up a Blu-ray player to it and that is what he threw in. I went back about 2 weeks after I got my P65 to try and pair my phone with it so I could set it to Calibrated and cast some 4K videos to show it off to the Reps, but couldn't get my phone to pair with it. They still had Thor playing on it :p

@Matt McRae
I have a request for the near future.
Could you please put + and - signs on either end of the faders in the Color Tuner section.
It is impossible to change a value +1 or -1 using your finger and most of the time that's all I need.
Thanks.
I hope to see this implemented soon. :)

This is what they told me. They said that my AVR seems to be the cause of the issue. I politely explained that I did not have the issue on my previous TV, that I was a member of AVSForums and have seen reports from other people experiencing the same issue with 24hz content going through different brand AVR's. She said she will pass it along to the higher level techs. :)

I am glad you took the time to report the issue. When it comes to tech support. You do not look into an issue when you only have 1 or 2 reports that you cannot test but when you have multiple reports of the same issue with different combinations of equipment then it is something that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"I guess what i am getting at is, can I stick with the AVR I have and use the adapter to keep from having to upgrade my high end AVR (Pioneer Elite SC-55) by sending the video separate to the TV and just run the audio from HDMI on the new card to my current AVR? Or would ARC work just as well?" Yes, this is correct... I too see know reason to upgrade avr and this is why I am using this adaptor...

Do not use arc with adapter. The driver will only see stereo as an option. As I said best set up is use adapter for video and separate hdmi cable for 5.1 or 7.1 audio...

·
Registered
101 Posts
The only difference between BB and Vizio purchases that I'm aware of is that you can return a set to BB because you changed your mind.
Well I don't know Vizio's tolerance threshold for what is considered returnable, but I do know Best Buy has never denied me a return. But there may also be the "changed my mind" part, which I won't know until I get the set, so I guess I am paying extra for that peace of mind.

·
Coyote Waits
27,239 Posts
ARC as a standard causes a wide range of problems pairing a wide range of devices. It's hard to tell what's similar.

Please don't take what I'm going to point out personally. You are so close to your problem that this may be overlooked. I've always avoided using ARC because of it's reputation so I can't offer spacific settings. Have you looked for help in the owner's thread for your Onkyo?

Using the Vizio Supplied HDMI cable to my Onkyo TX-NR708 if Vizio's audio setting(s) are set to Auto or On it plays from the TV speakers exclusively.
What Onkyo settings are you using for ARC? Onkyo owners may be able to help.

If set the Vizio Volume control to "off" i get 5-15 glorious seconds of ARC perfectly. Then it just drops and never comes back. Switching the Audio Setting on the Vizio back to "Auto" or "On" causes the AVR to show "TV Speaker On" and then it promptly powers off. I can power it back on and reproduce this all day 5-15 seconds at a time, but never anything more.
I don't own your display so I can't comment.

I've reported to Vizio and as of today I was told i need to get a second ARC compatible receiver or Soundbar to see if it's a compatibility issue.
Given the nature of ARC problems over the years that seems reasonable to me. Even if the HDMI cable is from Vizio, I wouldn't exclude it or it's connections from things to test.

Been very pleased with support up to this point, but I feel like that is a cop-out....
From a diagnostic point of view it's not a cop-out. It's exactly what I would do in similar situation with no manufacturer involved.

Especially considering the number of posts here attesting to known ARC issues.
There have been what seems like a lot but that's always been the case with ARC from my personal point of view. That's why swapping components is a widely used diagnostic technique.

Specifically though - is anyone having issues similar to mine - or could mine in fact be some wonky compatibility issue between the P65-C1 and Onkyo TX-NR708?
Both are possible including the HDMI cable. ;)

I'm sorry that I couldn't post a solution, but I hope thoughts about diagnosing your problem are a help.

·
Coyote Waits
27,239 Posts
Well I don't know Vizio's tolerance threshold for what is considered returnable, but I do know Best Buy has never denied me a return. But there may also be the "changed my mind" part, which I won't know until I get the set, so I guess I am paying extra for that peace of mind.
If you have a change of mind Vizio charges a restocking fee, and they can't sell you a different brand. ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does anyone have the 65 inch P Series and do you use it for gaming? Like console and PC gaming? How is it? I currently use a 50 inch TV for gaming but I am selling it, it is great but it doesn't do 120hz and I have had it for 1.5 years now. I was thinking a TV bigger than 55 inches might be too big for gaming, I will be sitting on a couch anyway but if I do get the 65 inch version I will be using it for PC and console gaming.

Anyone have any experiences or advice on this?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Does anyone have the 65 inch P Series and do you use it for gaming? Like console and PC gaming? How is it? I currently use a 50 inch TV for gaming but I am selling it, it is great but it doesn't do 120hz and I have had it for 1.5 years now. I was thinking a TV bigger than 55 inches might be too big for gaming, I will be sitting on a couch anyway but if I do get the 65 inch version I will be using it for PC and console gaming.

Anyone have any experiences or advice on this?
I game on a P-65 and to my eyes it looks fantastic. Is there such a thing as a TV too big for gaming?

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and ma1746

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got My 75" few days ago, screen looks awesome. the silver caused a MAJOR meltdown with the wife. so that started her negative view of the screen and some hiccups with netflix had her saying "so far Im not impressed". So I downloaded some 4K 10-Bit Demo files from demo-uhd3d. Some of the Samsung SUHD files and the Iceland and Swiss one.

Had to re wrap them in an MP4 container so the TV would play. All the muxers I tried either threw a fit about the hevc or would error out on the AAC audio, no Idea why. Anyway I made the demo reel sans audio and am putting it up here to share from my google drive and help some people.

Just download ( 4.1gb ) and unzip to a thumb drive and insert into the usb port on the tv and it will auto play. Figured this would be useful for those trying to compare at bestbuy. just walk in and insert to tv and bam instant quality demo.

For me im using stock settings on "Calibrated" Mode with color temp set to "Computer".

PS all the HDR files I could find were HDR10 so I didnt get those.

PPS my thumbdrive is formated as fat32, dont know if that matters.
I downloaded your files today to test on my new P75-C1. They played flawlessly. :D Thanks so much for providing these. I was losin' my mind trying to find compatible files that would play.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think someone said gll helped. Me too when casting YouTube through arc on my pioneer 1130k sometimes. Yes other people are having the same problem and its good you opened a ticket

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think someone said gll helped. Me too when casting YouTube through arc on my pioneer 1130k sometimes. Yes other people are having the same problem and its good you opened a ticket

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I game on a P-65 and to my eyes it looks fantastic. Is there such a thing as a TV too big for gaming?
My issue is I like being close to the screen, I am only about 3-3.5 away from my screen when I play. I am worried that if I had a 65 inch screen, I would be turning my head too much during gameplay which would slow my response time which could affect my performance in FPS games. How far do you sit from yours?

·
Registered
896 Posts
About 9 feet. Perhaps slightly less as I tend to sit on the edge of the couch while gaming. Every so often I will bring my computer chair over and sit about 5 feet away for a more immersive experience.

I find that the distance from my couch is just about perfect. The screen is big enough where I don't feel I have to squint like I did with my 46" at the same distance.

Reactions: The_Donster
13941 - 13960 of 64783 Posts