AVS Forum banner

14241 - 14260 of 64789 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'd wager they took Motion Blur Reduction out of the 50" due to it being a setting that interpolates frames from a 60fps signal. Since the Tv is already capped at 60hz, there is no way it can interpolate extra frames, therefore making it a useless setting on the P50.

It's probably why MBR doesn't do anything on the 120hz sets when they are displaying a 1080p/120hz signal. Can't add fake frames, when the TV's already displaying real frames for every hz it has.

MPG, as for your post, I replied on my thread to not duplicate that discussion. If you're right, then that's great news, but I'm a see it to believe it kind of guy, and would have to do my own extensive testing to confirm it's actually been truly fixed. Matt didn't mention it being fixed on his notes which is why I'm a bit skeptical. Still, I hope it did. I wish my return period wasn't a few days prior to the update. Talk about bad timing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd wager they took Motion Blur Reduction out of the 50" due to it being a setting that interpolates frames from a 60fps signal. Since the Tv is already capped at 60hz, there is no way it can interpolate extra frames, therefore making it a useless setting on the P50.

It's probably why MBR doesn't do anything on the 120hz sets when they are displaying a 1080p/120hz signal. Can't add fake frames, when the TV's already displaying real frames for every hz it has.

MPG, as for your post, I replied on my thread to not duplicate that discussion. If you're right, then that's great news, but I'm a see it to believe it kind of guy, and would have to do my own extensive testing to confirm it's actually been truly fixed. Matt didn't mention it being fixed on his notes which is why I'm a bit skeptical. Still, I hope it did. I wish my return period wasn't a few days prior to the update. Talk about bad timing.
Thanks for the info on p50 MBR. I'll pass it onto my friend.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It would be a safer bet to look into purchasing a UHD player when we get HDR10 on the P. Might have more options available, other than the Samsung.
My exact thought process. Although I have a feeling we will not get a small box that does Amazon prime w/HDR (and everything else) any time soon.

·
Registered
858 Posts
FYI... for anyone that owns Live, Die Repeat or Pan on VUDU in UHD/DV, give them another try. Either the new firmware or an update to the metadata in the final mastered version of the movies brings them up to the standards of the others. Both are awesome now. Both look fantastic.
Wow, very interesting. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,245
Wow, very interesting. Thanks!
I don't think the backlight was triggering properly... that could be for a number of reasons, but regardless, with it working right, both these titles look really great now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Then I don't understand what you wrote about the P-Series displays failing to let the AVRs know what delay to add to the audio. :eek:

"P Series Media Display is not sending appropriate delay parameter to AVR with 24 Hz signal. The parameter is appropriate for 60Hz signal.

How can a display send parameters to an AVR, either appropriate or not appropriate?
It is part of the initial handshake.

AVR tells the Display what it is sending. In this case a 24 Hz signal.

The Display replies how long it is going to take to process that signal and the AVR adds that amount of audio delay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does it sound like this?

I have a Denon AVR-1613, which officially supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Running an optical isn't ideal, and neither is buying a new receiver :(
I was not able to link the youtube video from this above post but I'm having the exact same issue with my P65.

I've never had this problem before. I know my receiver can decode dd+ as I've been doing it successfully via my roku for a while now.

any ideas??

I have a Denon 2113ci. The problem is there with any bitstream, DD+, dts etc. audio. I'm using the optical cable / pcm for now :(

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was not able to link the youtube video from this above post but I'm having the exact same issue with my P65.

I've never had this problem before. I know my receiver can decode dd+ as I've been doing it successfully via my roku for a while now.

any ideas??

I have a Denon 2113ci. The problem is there with any bitstream, DD+, dts etc. audio. I'm using the optical cable / pcm for now :(
Unfortunately, I gave in and bought a new Denon AVR-S710W, which works as expected, so I can't be much help at this point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can anyone here compare the 2015 M Series with the 2016 P Series? I am watching the NBA Playoffs and NHL Playoffs from a 60 inch 2015 M Series almost every night so I've gotten a good idea of the quality. Is it a huge difference?
I had the M55. I ended up here because it looked awful, washed out with what looked like a fog over the image, and I learned enough by reading the M threads to adjust it for a decent picture. The picture off axis was one big issue (it replaced a plasma set that died) and I started reading about the P series with WCG, Dolby Vision and HDR10 coming out.

I returned the M and got the P55. For me it was a huge improvement, with richer color, better contrast, no off angle degradation.

Now I will say that I'm not a hobbyist in this arena and I didn't do an exhaustive study of the settings on either TV, but I did have to crank the settings on the M to get a good picture. Color was up pretty high, higher than on the P. I had read that the wide color gamut would improve 1080 content, which is mostly what we watch, and BB has a demo of WCG that shows it off. I'm happy with the decision.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
what subtitles are a problem?

I watch everything in Cal Dark (backlight at 8) and never noticed bloom on anything ever.

·
Registered
146 Posts
what subtitles are a problem?

I watch everything in Cal Dark (backlight at 8) and never noticed bloom on anything ever.
S01E01 of Daredevil is my go-to example, though it happens with most dark content and light-colored subtitles:

I haven't had a chance to check out this new firmware (I didn't even know there was one until I checked this thread), but once I do, I'll post a follow up video using the same scene so there's a before\after comparison.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Subtitles definitely brightened up the area they are in. Easily seen when subtitles disappear and it takes FALD a split second to dim the image back to normal. Since subtitles continously turn on and off, FALD is constantly lowering/raising brightness in that area. It's a slight distraction, but nothing major.

I mostly watch subtitled anime when I'm not playing video games, so this 'issue' was quite easy to spot. Didn't really bother me though.

I actually had more of an issue playing my PS4 on HDMI 4 (whenever HDMI 5 was occupied with my PC).

FALD was constantly fluctuating with Uncharted 4 for some reason (Auto Brightness was off), even in a static screen. It was subtle but noticeable. Not a problem I had on HDMI 5. I didn't pay much mind to it because I pretty much always had things plugged into HDMI 5, so it wasn't anything I was bothered by, but noted.

If anyone here ever played Limbo, and started at the beginning where the blacks pump up and down in brightness, well, that is similar to what i was experiencing with FALD on Uncharted 4 on HDMI 4 but to a more subtle degree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately, I gave in and bought a new Denon AVR-S710W, which works as expected, so I can't be much help at this point.
Thanks for the quick reply! Crossing my fingers theres a solution for my setup as I know my receiver is capable of decoding DD+.

Once I get a few more posts under my belt ( i wont post for the sake of raising my post count) I'll get a video showing the issue as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the M55. I ended up here because it looked awful, washed out with what looked like a fog over the image, and I learned enough by reading the M threads to adjust it for a decent picture. The picture off axis was one big issue (it replaced a plasma set that died) and I started reading about the P series with WCG, Dolby Vision and HDR10 coming out.

I returned the M and got the P55. For me it was a huge improvement, with richer color, better contrast, no off angle degradation.

Now I will say that I'm not a hobbyist in this arena and I didn't do an exhaustive study of the settings on either TV, but I did have to crank the settings on the M to get a good picture. Color was up pretty high, higher than on the P. I had read that the wide color gamut would improve 1080 content, which is mostly what we watch, and BB has a demo of WCG that shows it off. I'm happy with the decision.
It's funny you mention this I watched the Lightning Penguins game last night via Verizon HD Cable.

I had a woman sitting next to me in our residents lounge who mentioned how washed out the picture looked.

I would bet serious money the tv wasn't calibrated properly as the staff at the building have no idea what size the tv was until I checked the serial on the side of the M Series.

We were very dissatisfied with the picture quality.

Right now I just need to make a final decision on what to buy. I am seriously leaning towards a P 50 or P 55 depending on which one would have better picture quality for PS4 games.

I am also tempted to just get a 1080P 70 inch D Series for the money or 65 E Series considering 4K won't be possible until next year for PS4/Xbox One games.

Developers came out today and said they suspect it to take a few years to develop quality 4K content for PS4 Neo.

I am wondering if the 4K is just a total waste. I am concerned though that if I get a 2016 D or E Series even calibrated they will look as bad or worse compared to the 2015 M60 I have been watching the NBA and NHL playoffs from downstairs in the residents lounge. Everything looked so washed out. Even the 75 year old woman sitting next to me noticed it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did delete the old Vizio device on the Harmony. I didn't want to start over but a lot of the stuff in the activities had to do with input switching.. Best to delete the device and the activities and start over.

Dolby D+ and ATMOS over ARC are a mystery to me. I've literally tried everything, including disconnecting everything from the AVR, resetting the device and then installing in the simplest terms. I give up. ARC works and the DSP on the AVR that up-samples 5.1 to 5.1.4 sounds great. I get ATMOS from my K8500 so that works. It's really my only disappointment with the whole install but it's hard to pin the blame. My cable is long but it's more than robust enough to carry the signal. Uncle.....
So how far were you able to get in the process with ARC? When you posted that the BJC cable sorted everything out, I figured that it meant that Dolby D+ and Atmos over ARC were working properly for you.

With a Denon AVR-X4200W, I am able to get all audio formats over ARC but I still have audio drop out every 15-60 seconds . I've PM'd Matt to notify him that the firmware update didn't fix it and will be calling Vizio support later today to tell them that too. But I'm always curious how far people are getting with ARC.

This ARC stuff is a mystery to me too. At one point I watched 35 straight minutes of Edge of Tomorrow on Vudu, doing Atmos over ARC, with no dropouts at all! Then I paused and unpaused and I started having dropouts immediately. That made me think it was a Vudu issue, but since then I have dropouts with all sources: Netflix, Vudu, and even DirecTV to TV with audio heading back to AVR over ARC. It makes me think that the 35 minutes were just an aberration.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Correct... P75 needs a little more work. stay tuned. We are also tracking the lip synch on 24p as well
I have zero lip sync issues going thru my AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH) with 24p content. This includes viewing from my XBox, Tivo Roamio and the Display itself.

Looks like its something with Denon? All the posts I've seen that's what AVR is involved.... but I might have missed some others...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Bummer, just read in a 4k HDR content thread that the new season of Bloodline on Netflix is not available in Dolby Vision. Can anyone confirm this?
Same question as i'm not at home. I thought it would only show the dv header if you had a dv compatible tv, kinda like uhd only shows if you have a 4k tv.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have zero lip sync issues going thru my AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH) with 24p content. This includes viewing from my XBox, Tivo Roamio and the Display itself.

Looks like its something with Denon? All the posts I've seen that's what AVR is involved.... but I might have missed some others...
My Pioneer VSX-1018 also exhibits the lip sync issue at 24fps.

14241 - 14260 of 64789 Posts