AVS Forum banner

19861 - 19880 of 64787 Posts

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,861
I am not sure. Its possible you could rent it through the Vudu app, but start playing from the Vizio app. Thats just speculation though. Worst case is you do the Vudu workaround where you manaully toggle over to UHD after it starts playing.
Yup... Just be sure to tap the gray bar at the bottom and switch to the video control window. Then wait about 30 seconds before switching the resolution setting from HDX to UHD.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I also completely lost ARC last Friday. I spent hours trying to get it working again. Vizio is going to send out a technician to take a look.
I was thinking it was an HDMI issue, however I tried multiple cables with no change. Let us know what the technician comes up with.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That may not end with an HDR10 update. If you check out the threads of HDR10 enabled displays, you'll find that's pretty much what they do... Mess w settings. Without dynamic metadata, it's less likely that content will optimized for all kinds of scenes.

HDR10 is a very transitional technology. I don't expect it to last long as it's clear that dynamic HDR is a much better approach. What that means for existing HDR10 displays... Who knows?

I just hope that when they switch to dynamic hdr10 that vizio makes a firmware to allow these tvs to support that. Matt did say the Dolby chip could likely handle it but wouldn't know for certain until hdr10 dynamic standard is finished.

I assume for current tvs that they would likely have both sets of metadata on a disc so they could still use it.

Honestly i could understand dv not winning due to requiring the chip in the tv, but imo it should win considering it can do everything that the other hdr formats can and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,866
I just hope that when they switch to dynamic hdr10 that vizio makes a firmware to allow these tvs to support that. Matt did say the Dolby chip could likely handle it but wouldn't know for certain until hdr10 dynamic standard is finished.

I assume for current tvs that they would likely have both sets of metadata on a disc so they could still use it.

Honestly i could understand dv not winning due to requiring the chip in the tv, but imo it should win considering it can do everything that the other hdr formats can and more.

Well, it will certainly give us all something new to talk about soon!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A Curse on All You Perfectionists

I've had my P65 almost 3 months now, and am very pleased with it. I have always been a channel flipper, I refused to watch commercials and would change the channel when one came on. But the PQ is so incredible that I now sit mesmerized thru commercials. :) I tend to leave my display on all the time, letting the demo images run, because they look better than other decorations on my walls. I have to keep chasing my cat away because she thinks it's a window to the outside. :D
I was an AVS lurker before I joined this thread. Did a lot of research, here and elsewhere, before buying a P70 last November, which I returned due to a vertical red line. I'd read somewhere that Vizio was having about 20% defects with the early P-series, and from what I've been reading here, I wonder if that is still the case. I thought I'd won the lottery, and got a perfect display, but I just had to keep reading all you nitpickers. On a white screen with the brightness turned way down, I finally saw a dim yellow band down the middle. Never saw that before on ANY content. Now I have to return my set, and fight with BB. A CURSE ON ALL YOU PERFECTIONISTS!!!
I'm kidding, of course. I don't know how to perform a curse, and I'm going to keep my Vizio. I understand that new technology, like this, is going to have some bugs. I love this HTD for what I use it for, and I trust that Vizio will continue to upgrade and take care of me if something I can't tolerate becomes apparent.
I used a Mount-It model UAE-600, purchased from Amazon, for my wall mount. I don't know why I'd want to pull it out the 32" shown below, but it's cool that I can. I pan my display from one corner of the room to another daily, with one finger. Rated at 125#, it held my 165# up at full extension. I'd recommend it.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/209hlps.jpg

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,869
I've had my P65 almost 3 months now, and am very pleased with it. I have always been a channel flipper, I refused to watch commercials and would change the channel when one came on. But the PQ is so incredible that I now sit mesmerized thru commercials. :) I
tend to leave my display on all the time, letting the demo images run, because they look better than other decorations on my walls. I have to keep chasing my cat away because she thinks it's a window to the outside. :D
I was an AVS lurker before I joined this thread. Did a lot of research, here and elsewhere, before buying a P70 last November, which I returned due to a vertical red line. I'd read somewhere that Vizio was having about 20% defects with the early P-series, and from what I've been reading here, I wonder if that is still the case. I thought I'd won the lottery, and got a perfect display, but I just had to keep reading all you nitpickers. On a white screen with the brightness turned way down, I finally saw a dim yellow band down the middle. Never saw that before on ANY content. Now I have to return my set, and fight with BB. A CURSE ON ALL YOU PERFECTIONISTS!!!
I'm kidding, of course. I don't know how to perform a curse, and I'm going to keep my Vizio. I understand that new technology, like this, is going to have some bugs. I love this HTD for what I use it for, and I trust that Vizio will continue to upgrade and take care of me if something I can't tolerate becomes apparent.
I used a Mount-It model UAE-600, purchased from Amazon, for my wall mount. I don't know why I'd want to pull it out the 32" shown below, but it's cool that I can. I pan my display from one corner of the room to another daily, with one finger. Rated at 125#, it held my 165# up at full extension. I'd recommend it.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/209hlps.jpg

Thanks for your post! Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
You can find the content in the Vizio app. It will show where it can be streamed from. If VUDU is one of the choices and you own it on Vudu just hit the play icon and it will start streaming.
And of course it doesn't actually know you own it. It tells you that it's going to cost you $30 then magically works without charging you.

Unlike the Vudu app itself which actually knows what you own but won't actually let you play it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm not sure it's Vizio's fault if the Vudu app keeps crashing.
No directly, perhaps, but relying on a collection of 3rd-party software as your TV's "smarts" is bound to be error-prone. Especially when those apps will be updated willy-nilly by their respective authors without any concern for the television manufacturer (or for each other). This is my primary concern with Vizio's new direction. It didn't stop me from buying a P65, because I can use an external box if needed... but it may have a bigger effect on the 90%+ of buyers who are less capable than we are.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was thinking it was an HDMI issue, however I tried multiple cables with no change. Let us know what the technician comes up with.
I too thought it might be my HDMI cable. I switched from the Vizio cable to a new Amazon basics cable with no luck. I was going to order one of the Blue Jeans cables but now I'm holding of until the technician comes out. When I opened a chat with Vizio I thought we'd go through some extensive trouble shooting but both people I chatted with just asked to confirm the CEC setting was on. After this it was suggested that they either send me a replacement TV or have a technician come out. I opted for the technician since everything else with this TV has been perfect.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Anyone get any new word from Matt on the status of the hdr 10 rollout. Based on his Twitter feed, June 20 was the last communication on the current state.

I know patience is a virtue they are really pushing it with 120 day timeline.

Use the Search the thread tool...don't ask questions here unless you did research from the last 20 years.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you made all of those changes to the settings and it is not operating as you desire then I would try to contact Vizio support and see if they will accept a return on it even if you didn’t buy it directly through them. If not then you will simply have to bite the bullet and try to sell it.

I had to do the same thing last year with my M80-C3. I realized many months after I bought it that it was never going to fit my needs with respect to HDR so I went dark on this forum for a couple of months while I spent my time trying to find a new home for the TV.

I eventually found a buyer and took a loss in order to fix the situation I put myself in. I suggest you do the same. It will be much easier for you to find a new home for your P50 than it was for me to find a new home for my M80.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Doubt they will accept a return...which in turn would charge me shipping fees on top of a restock fee. A refund would be preferred. Selling a used Vizio is probably an even worse idea, no one will buy this thing. Its a 50" used Vizio with a 60hz panel. If I'm lucky ill get half of what I paid. I am testing my ps4 tomorrow, so we shall see what happens.

Either way I have to say...though the compromises I have are annoying, having a edge lit set from Sony or Samsung would drive me even more insane I think. So I guess its a catch 22. If I get a refund after I test my ps4 on it...then I will be adopting to OLED, most likely the 55C6, unless magically the E6 drops in price. Thanks for YOUR help, appreciated. Sorry for the crappy posts I made, this year of TVs is very frustrating.

When I bought my KURO in 2009, it was either spend a decent chunk of change for something excellent, or spend a quarter of that on an LED that looked like hogwash compared to it. But then, there was only so many options for a tv, since everything was 1080p. Much easier time, man I miss those times, especially Circuit City...at least the one I had by me had some knowledgeable people. Anyone deal with PC Richards at all? I know they don't sell Vizio but just curious how they are compared to say BB.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
You guys can keep making excuses and posting workarounds all you want, it's crap that it continues to be a mess. It's your sunk costs blinding you to a very frustrating flaw of this set. The very basic functionality of the signature technology does not work well. If you didn't already own the set seeing it continue to fail like this would put many of you off to it.
Casting with the Vizio tablet is a way to get Dolby Vision, since no media streamers support it yet. For UHD, I use my "old" ways of getting Netflix, Hulu etc like my Bluray player, FireTV and Roku.

The Vizio tablet gimmick, is primarily about controlling the Monitor's settings and providing an extra Tablet if you want it.

4K UHD, FALD, Dolby Vision and future HDR10 are the signature technologies I bought. If the casting bugs you return it ASAP. Have a wonderful day & don't let the tech ruin it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a P65 for my family room based on how happy I've been with the P50 in my bedroom, and I was wondering if anyone has gotten a unit with a defective tablet. The display is perfect, and has amazing picture quality as I'd expect, but the tablet doesn't seem to want to work for me. I've been casting from an iPad that I have for work, but I don't want to use the iPad as our main media casting device.

The tablet remote freezes constantly and the touch screen will just stop responding to touches in the middle of you using it. I've tried rebooting a bunch of times. Should I attempt to factory reset the tablet? Anyone else run into this?

19861 - 19880 of 64787 Posts