AVS Forum banner

Does your Vizio GV47L have a humming or buzzing noise?

• Yes, my set hums when the backlight level is below 90.

Votes: 60 69.8%
  • No, my set does not hum when the backlight level is below 90.

Votes: 26 30.2%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please vote if you own or did own (i.e. returned) a Vizio GV47L 1080p HDTV.

Vote yes if you have experienced the humming/buzzing problem with your set when the backlight level is adjusted below 90. Do NOT vote if you did not or have not owned one these TV's. Also do not vote if you have disabled or removed the speakers from your set!

If you have been able to reduce or eliminate this problem, please feel free to share this information with other users. If Vizio has repaired your set satisfactorily, PLEASE post your experience.

And please, no Costco return discussions

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I disconnected my speakers and firmly reseated the connectors and my hum went away between 85 and 90 UNTIL, ... I power cycled the set and then back to 100 for the no hum zone.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Have you tied putting a non-grounding AC adapter on the end on the power cord and plugging the adapter into the AC outlet. This is the standard type of very low cost (around $1.00) adapter used when your have an electrical item that has a 3-prong plug and you need to plug it into one of the old style 2-prong AC outlets. This removes the earth ground going to the TV chassis. In some cases this can eliminate AC hum problems.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the idea Ron - I haven't tried removing the ground, but I did try a UPS. Didn't make any difference. I'll tryungrounding it tomorrow and report back.

I firmly believe that the cause posted in the big thread (the audio amp is picking up harmonics from the backlight power supply) is the root cause of this problem. My set's hum was mostly coming from the right speaker - I just unplugged it and turned the backlight down. At least I can live with the set in the same room now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This comes from the Vizio 47 thread

VIZIO has diagnosed the findings of some GV47LFHDTV owners having an audible hum from their sets. We have found that this has occurred on a few of the sets due to a faulty ground screw on the audio board.

To remedy this issue VIZIO will send a service technician to replace the audio board.

For any owners finding this problem, please contact VIZIO Tech Support -

Via Email: [email protected] .

Please include the following in your email:

Name

Address

Telephone Number (along with the best time to reach you)

Model Number of your VIZIO (example: VIZIO GV47LFHDTV)

Serial Number of your VIZIO (example: AXXXXX555555)

Your Question (example: Audio hum)

Or

By Phone: 714.668.0588

Please call during the hours of Monday - Friday: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.

Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.

Please have the following information ready during your call:

Model Number of your VIZIO (example: VIZIO GV47LFHDTV)

Serial Number of your VIZIO (example: AXXXXX555555)

Sorry for the inconvenience,

-VIZIO Tech Support

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'm a little upset because I spent the better part of three hours last week calling tech support about this problem only to reach a person who continually told me to "turn the backlight to 100, it won't hurt the TV, it doesn't change the picture".

I nicely asked mutliple times if Vizio was working on a fix and was repeatedly given this same response.

Now I'm supposed to spend another 3 hours calling them and then wait for a tech to come to my house. I'll exchange it once first at this juncture.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all - I received this email from Vizio today (it's posted in the main thread too) -

Originally Posted by sabamonster

Subject: RE: Vizio GV47L Buzz/Hum Problem

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:18:53 -0800

The TV usually hums when the backlight setting is too low. So turning it up should get rid of the problem. To do this please follow these instructions:

1. Turn the TV on.

2. Press the Menu button on the remote, located right below the channel changing button.

3. Press the down direction button, located at the middle of the remote. Press that button until the backlight is highlighted.

4. Press the right direction button until the backlight is at 100.

5. Press the OK button and then the Exit button until you get back to your picture.

When replying to this email message please include full body of email.

Thank you,

John

Technical Support
[email protected]

V Inc.

320A Kalmus Drive Costa Mesa, CA 92626
www.vizioce.com

877-668-8462 Ext. 2

Visit us: www.vizio.com

Not a lot of help - BUT I called the 877 number around 8 PM EST this evening, and it took 45 minutes to go through the whole process. The tech support guy was amazed when I told him that cranking the backlight up to 100 degraded the picture quality (I believe his exact words were "no one in this building has heard that before"). Somehow I'm more than a little sceptical about that statement.

The upshot is, they took my info, then sent me to customer support to set up a service call. Theoretically, they'll send me the parts, then I'm supposed to call the service company to have them come out and perform the repair.

The process begins - updates to follow.

Thanks to all who have voted - it looks like we have a pretty good percentage of hummers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Auido board arrived yesterday, along with instructions to call an 800 number for service. Called and left a message, so we'll see what happens. There were installation instructions included as well - when you replace the board you also move the ground wire for the audio board to another location. The saga continues....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyLovr /forum/post/0

Auido board arrived yesterday, along with instructions to call an 800 number for service. Called and left a message, so we'll see what happens. There were installation instructions included as well - when you replace the board you also move the ground wire for the audio board to another location. The saga continues....

Would you scan and post or email or somehow provide the instructions on moving the ground wire they supplied? The reason I ask is that I also have a 42" "hummer" and just exchanged it (and got another hummer) BUT the picture is great and no clouds (problem with the 42). If it's not too invasive, I'd like to try moving the ground. I suspect from the symptoms and the operations, these sets are very similar in this part of the system. Both also have the same Sleep Timer bug too

1 - 20 of 57 Posts